Author Topic: Poetic Slimline Case for New Kindle Fire HDX 8.9  (Read 6178 times)  

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Poetic Slimline Case for New Kindle Fire HDX 8.9
« on: November 27, 2013, 09:35:30 pm »
I wasn't entirely in love with my Origami cover for my Fire HDX 8.9, for a number of reasons.  When a member here recommended the Poetic and I checked it out, I ordered one in a heartbeat.  It arrived today and lives up to my expectations with one caveat.  Here's how it arrived, more or less, in the box and then out of the box:

One of the reviews didn't like the metallic "Poetic" logo but I think it looks fine.  There was no noticeable chemical odor.  It's light, significantly lighter than the Amazon Origami cover.  The Origami cover is 11 1/8 ounces.  The Poetic is 5 5/8 ounces.  That lightness comes at a bit of a cost--without the Fire in it, the Poetic feels just a tiny bit flimsy. The color is as advertised.  I was disappointed that the Origami cover was a darker red than as shown on the website.  It's a perfectly nice color--sort of wine colored--but not what i wanted.

The inside has a microfiber medium gray lining.  The front cover opens like a book and the front cover has two places where it will fold to make the stand.  The Fire fits into the back cover, which has a kind of rail around it, very nicely without having to exert oneself too much to get it in and out.  Much easier than the old Amazon covers like on prior Fires or the Paperwhites.  Picture of the cover without the Fire in it:

You can see the cutout holes for the power button, the volume buttons, the speakers and the camera lens.  They all fit perfectly; the buttons work fine.  You can also see the bulge for the magnet in the back cover that I believe is part of the auto wake/sleep process, though it may also serve to help hold the Fire in the cover. There is another magnetic strip in the front cover along the cover hinge.  If you start to close the cover, as soon as the magnetic strip in the front cover hits the device, it awakes/sleeps.  But I couldn't get the Fire to do that unless it was in the back cover.  The Origami cover, the way it is designed to be used, provides protection for the camera lens.  This case, since it has a hole for the lens, does not.  For extra protection in my purse, I plan on using a sleeve I've had since my original iPad; the Fire HDX8.9 will fit in it with the Poetic cover on.

The cover acts as a stand by folding it along the creases in the front cover to form a triangle.  The magnetic strip in the front cover also helps hold it in that shape.  I was somewhat concerned that the stand was not going to be very stable--it looked like such a little base for a larger tablet, but it's quite stable.

The Origami cover from Amazon will also let you view the device in portrait mode.  The Poetic will not, so if that is important to you, the Poetic is not the right cover for you.  I very, very seldom use my tablets in portrait mode unless an app requires it, and I have stands all over the house.  The Poetic is slim enough that the Fire even fits in the stands which have slots with the cover on and folded to the back.

The Poetic cover will let you use it in a slightly tilted typing mode, which the Origami won't.  Though typing on a flat device is probably just as easy.

All in all, I'm extremely pleased with my cover.  But, as I said, there's a caveat.

Here's the caveat:

When using the HDX8.9 in an Origami cover, in order to use the camera, you slide the HDX8.9 up in the cover and it slides to a second position.  If you tap on the photo app with the cover in the normal position, you get an overlay telling you to slide the Fire into position.  In at least some of the Poetic covers, the Fire thinks it is in the Origami cover and presents the overlay.  This doesn't actually prevent you from using the camera; you can still tap to focus on a specific spot and take the picture, but it is distracting at best and awkward at worst.

You can see the overlay in this picture I took of Gunny the bear:

I've been in touch with Poetic; they are going to send me a cover that they have tested and that they say does not do this^.  I probably won't have it until next week with Thanksgiving and the weekend, but I'll let you know.

I will say that I have had very good communication with the company.  I contacted them before I received the cover with another question, and got my answer on Sunday.  I sent them my question this afternoon and had an answer back within about two hours. Kudos.

To sum up--the Amazon cover is a very nice cover; it works well and offers slightly better protection as it is a bit sturdier and covers the lens.  Comes in a nice range of colors, just not the colors I wanted.  The extra protection comes with a price: it's heavy--the Fire on its own weighs 12 5/8 ounces; the Origami cover weights 11 1/8 ounces, so it nearly doubles the weight to use the cover.  You can use the stand to view the Fire in either portrait or landscape.  It works well with the camera.

The Poetic cover is lighter and does not cover the lens.  The lightness, while making it slightly less protective, is a big benefit in weight when holding the device or carrying it in a purse, backpack or briefcase.  It also comes in a nice range of colors, tending to be much brighter versions.  You can view the Fire in landscape mode and also use the stand to put the Fire in typing position, but you cannot view it in portrait mode with the Poetic.  My cover caused the "slide device" message to appear when using the camera app as has been reported by others.  The company says not all of the covers do that--the jury's still out.  I'll let you know.

I can live with the camera anomaly if I have to--the camera is still usable.  I love the lightness, the brightness of my lime green cover, and the ease of use.  Oh, and the price--with shipping, my cover came to $14.10, and the black cover is even cheaper.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 06:35:13 pm by Betsy the Quilter »
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline alicepattinson

• Lucky me ;)
      • View Profile
    Re: Poetic Slimline Case for New Kindle Fire HDX 8.9
    « Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 06:15:53 pm »
    I also love this case, in apple they call it Smart slim case. Yey! Good thing there's also a case like this for the Fire

Offline Bill1123

• View Profile
    Re: Poetic Slimline Case for New Kindle Fire HDX 8.9
    « Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 11:14:08 am »
    Betsy: Did you get a replacement Slimline cover yet? Poetic sent me one that supposedly had been 'tested' to work with the camera, but my new one is just like the first one...the camera will not work without the icon in the middle of the screen. Would be interested to know if you/anyone has this cover for the 8.9" that works properly.   Bill

KBoards.com

• Advertisement