Author Topic: recommendations for 9-year-old girls  (Read 4482 times)  

Offline NogDog

• View Profile
recommendations for 9-year-old girls
« on: December 16, 2013, 01:28:30 pm »
Any thoughts on books my 9-year-old (next week) nieces might enjoy? I know at least one of them has been reading the "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" series, so don't bother with that one. :) Would A Wrinkle in Time be appropriate, or is that more for a teen audience?

I may pull out my copy of Pratchett's The Amazing Maurice... to refresh my memory as to what sort of level it was written at.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not really a moderator. :)
      • View Profile
    Re: recommendations for 9-year-old girls
    « Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 01:35:20 pm »
    How about Harvey's book:

I really don't read much for that age group ::) but read it as a favor to Harvey and really enjoyed it.  It's a good story with good characters.  . . . as long as she's pretty much on grade level for reading I think she can handle it, but it's kind of hard for me to judge.  You might sample it and see what you think.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Mandy

• Under a Carolina blue sky
      • View Profile
      • My journey as a middle ear implant clinical trial patient
    « Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 04:07:16 pm »
    The Magic Treehouse series (by Mary Osborne, I think?) is very popular among that age group, and is endorsed by most elementary schools. Very good reviews and in ebook format as well. Abby, who just turned 10 a couple of days ago, also recommends the Bad Kitty books, which are light-hearted fun reads.

Offline Brownskins

• Dallas, Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 11:00:38 pm »
    A Wrinkle in Time is fine for 9 yo's and so is When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead.  IMO, Magic Tree House is for younger readers - my kids and their friends read the series 2 years back when they were 5 and 6 yo's (although they still read each new addition every 6 months or so).  She may enjoy the Chronicles of Narnia.  First Light by Rebecca Stead and Coraline (Gaiman) are also fun reads.  The American Girl historical books are also good.  I guess you will have to customize the recommendations to your niece's personality and interests...  but that's a fun age to read so good luck gathering recommendations.
    Train rides + Kindle reads = Win!

A few of my thoughts and reviews are posted here:  https://simplyctrocks.blogspot.com/

Offline purplesmurf

• View Profile
      • Rosehaven the Hidden City
    « Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 02:59:53 am »
    If she likes horses the saddle club series is always a great one.

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
    • Urban Fantasy, Fantasy, Humorous Mysteries
      • View Profile
      • Bear Mountain Books
    « Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 07:21:58 am »
    How about Anne of Green Gables series?  No fantasy or paranormal elements, but a fun series for that age.  I suspect Trixie Beldon and Nancy Drew might be too young for her...hard for me to remember how long I read those.   The Little Princess and the Secret Garden by Hodgson would be wonderful choices I think. 

For more modern...and fantasy...Look for the older Andre Norton tales.  Possibly Vivian Vande Velde as well, although some of her horror might be too much for that age?   If those don't work, I can ask my niece what she is reading.  She's 10!

Offline NogDog

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 08:07:44 am »
    I ordered a couple Terry Pratchett (what a surprise!) hardcovers for them last night, but feel free to add suggestions in case I decide to buy more, or just pass them on to my brother and sister-in-law.

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 09:24:28 am »
    A Wrinkle in Time is fine for 9 yo's and so is When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead.  IMO, Magic Tree House is for younger readers - my kids and their friends read the series 2 years back when they were 5 and 6 yo's (although they still read each new addition every 6 months or so).  She may enjoy the Chronicles of Narnia.  First Light by Rebecca Stead and Coraline (Gaiman) are also fun reads.  The American Girl historical books are also good.  I guess you will have to customize the recommendations to your niece's personality and interests...  but that's a fun age to read so good luck gathering recommendations.

I gave Nog the suggestion of The American Girls books in chat last night, as well, and would second the suggestion of the Narnia books.

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
      • View Profile
      • Bear Mountain Books
    « Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 10:32:50 am »
    I third Narnia for certain.  Excellent reads.  I know I was reading Andre Norton then (Mentioned already above).   I'll ask my other reading buddy.  She still reads any age and was a more avid fantasy reader at that age than I was!

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not really a moderator. :)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 11:12:45 am »
    Narnia is definitely good . . . . .  I'd stay away from Pullman's His Dark Materials, mostly just because I don't think they're very good.  Others rave about them, though. . . . . and they might be just a touch above her reading level.  How precocious is she? ;)
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
      • View Profile
      • Bear Mountain Books
    « Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 11:58:19 am »
    Friend recs:

Mysterious Benedict Society, Trenton Lee Stewart
    Howl's Moving Castle, Diana Wynne Jones

The Familiars, Adam Jay Epstein (animal protagonists)
    The Vengekeep Prophecies, Brian Farrey (thief protagonist)
    Sky Jumpers, Peggy Eddelman (post apocalyptic)

I've read The Familiars too and it's a good one.

Offline NogDog

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 11:59:05 am »
    Narnia is definitely good . . . . .  I'd stay away from Pullman's His Dark Materials, mostly just because I don't think they're very good.  Others rave about them, though. . . . . and they might be just a touch above her reading level.  How precocious is she? ;)

"They," actually: identical twins. All kids seem a year or two advanced from way back when I was their age. :) They're both pretty much A- students at a decent parochial school, so I'll guess they're above average.

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
      • View Profile
      • Bear Mountain Books
    « Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 11:59:54 am »
    One more from friend:

Flora Segunda, Ysabeau Wilce

Offline ruecole

• Greater Vancouver, BC
      • View Profile
      • Rachel Elizabeth Cole
    « Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 12:19:56 pm »
    If they're enjoying Diary of a Wimpy Kid, they may also like The Strange Case of Origami Yoda (and sequels). Very, very funny!

Hope that helps!

Rue

Rachel Elizabeth Cole Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Online TWErvin2

• Ohio, USA
      • View Profile
      • ervin-author.com
    « Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 04:53:24 pm »
    My daughter (nine years old) really enjoys the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series.

She also enjoys the Cupcake Diaries Series (available in print and ebook).

Here's the link to the first one: http://www.amazon.com/Katie-Cupcake-Cure-Diaries-ebook/dp/B003YUC6FA/

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: December 17, 2013, 05:01:27 pm »
    My nieces that age enjoy the Dork Diaries series by Rachel Renee Russell. They are like the Wimpy Kids books, only the girl version. So if they enjoyed the Wimpy Kids, they may enjoy these as well.

Offline Debbie Bennett

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Debbie's website
    « Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 10:30:47 am »
    Katherine Roberts? Magical fantasy Spellfall is one - there are lots of others, including an Arthurian sequence aimed at just that level.

Psychological thriller/crime & fantasy writer

All ebook formats and paperbacks available.
    www.debbiebennett.co.uk

Hamelin's Child currently FREE in most ebook stores
    Rat Run coming soon ...

Offline Peep

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 10:32:59 am »
    I liked Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Not Reading and The True Meaning of Smekday. For more serious books I LOVED Wonder and Once/Then/Now. My son read the Percy Jackson books and really enjoyed those.

EDIT: I really enjoyed Ella Enchanted as well as the Goose Girl, but I don't think the Goose Girl would be approriate for 9 year old girls. Oh, and anything by Shannon Hale. (Sorry, it's been a while since I've read these, they might be Young Adult - maybe just add it to the "books for the future" list?  ;D)
    « Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 10:40:45 am by Peep »

Offline MorganMK

• London, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 12:08:22 pm »
    Hello - i recommend Julia Golding's Secret of the Sirens (Part 1 of the companions quartet), about kids who have special links with mythical beasts :

:)
    The Nothing has come near, The Oracle is dying. No one again will hear Uyulala laughing, sighing. You are the last to hear my voice among the columns, sounding far and near. Perhaps you will accomplish what no one else has done, But to succeed young hero, remember what I have sung.

Offline lmroth12

• View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: December 19, 2013, 05:12:07 am »
    I heartily recommend The Chronicles of Narnia not only because it is well-written and imaginative, but Lucy is a great role model for young girls. She is strong and loyal, and able to stick to her guns even when everyone is against her because they don't believe her incredible stories although they are true!

Another great series for girls that age is Beverly Cleary's classic Ramona books. A fun and relatable "younger sister" who sees the world through a child's eyes and dares to say what we all secretly would like to but don't dare! But stay away from the Pippi Longstocking books as the only thing I ever came away with from that series was what a mixed-up little liar with bad manners the heroine was.

A fantasy classic in a more contemporary setting is Escape From Witch Mountain. It's exciting and has a great underlying lesson about reaching out to those who are different from the norm.

Happy hunting!  :)

L. M. Roth | Facebook | Amazon | Goodreads

Offline Kierancy

• View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: December 19, 2013, 05:32:05 am »
    Like the other posters, I'd recommend The Chronicles of Narnia too, but for something a little bit different, then why not try the Irish writer Judi Curtin. She's extremely popular here and though some of the words and phrases might seem unusual to American or UK readers, it might be worth a try.

Offline churlishfellow

• Belleville, Wi
      • View Profile
      • A Somewhat Silly Story
    « Reply #21 on: January 08, 2014, 12:24:29 pm »
    Around the age of 9, my son loved the Warrior Cats series, as did my friend's daughter when a similar age. There's definitely something magical in that series with the animals as characters that intrigued them both, and there are plenty of books to be read.

http://www.warriorcats.com/

Read my books or evil wins. You don't want that.
    Mark Simon Smith | website

Offline MLPMom

• View Profile
      • My Guilty Obsession Book Reviews
    « Reply #22 on: January 08, 2014, 02:24:16 pm »
    If she likes Diary of a Wimpy Kid then she will like the books by Janet Tashjian, they are very similar to Diary and also very funny and have illustrations.

If she likes fantasy then I highly recommend the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan and the spin off series. They are wonderful. Also the Immortal series by Michael Scott.
    The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.-Jane Austen
    I also have a book blog where I review a new Indie Author every week. http://myguiltyobsession.blogspot.com/

Offline Janni

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: January 09, 2014, 05:35:15 pm »
    If she's at all horse-loving I really liked Caitlin Brennan's House of the Star, which is a horse-fantasy.

Kathi Appelt's The Underneath is another great animal lover book.

Jenn Reese's Above World books were among my discoveries this year.

I finally read Lloyd Alexander's Pyrdain books this year and quite enjoyed them, if she's more high fantasy oriented.

Offline WDR

• Massachusetts
    • To boldly split infinitives
      • View Profile
      • Official Website of William D. Richards
    « Reply #24 on: January 09, 2014, 08:38:47 pm »
    Would A Wrinkle in Time be appropriate, or is that more for a teen audience?

A Wrinkle in Time is the very first title I would recommend, and exactly for the reason for your concern: it is a story aimed at a slightly older audience. But I think it is perfect for a nine-year-old ready to expand her horizons. I believe I first read A Wrinkle in Time when I was about her age. It was probably the first "adult" book I read and what it did was suddenly open my eyes that there were much more sophisticated stories out there other than Tom Swift books. My reading list and reading level both skyrocketed after reading L'Engle's stories as I kept reaching for books that were greater and higher in their stories.

There are three other books in the series, and collectively they are called the Time Quintet.
    Aggadeh Chronicles Book 3: Oracle: 11%
    William D. Richards | Official Website | A Writer's Chronicles | Patreon

KBoards.com

• Advertisement