Author Topic: Belly Button Ring?  (Read 13079 times)  

Offline tecwritr

• Wichita, KS
    • View Profile
Re: Belly Button Ring?
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2008, 08:04:10 am »
I understand ear piercings.  I almost understand belly button piercings.  It's the more intimate piercings I don't understand. :o

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Scathach

• CT
      • View Profile
      • Cupcakes, Needles, and Words
    « Reply #26 on: December 22, 2008, 08:13:38 am »
    I was never a fan of belly rings, unless the individual had darker colored skin for some reason I find the piercing looks pretty on darker skin.  Belly piercings are notorious for getting infected a friend of mine tells me who is a piercer at a tattoo studio.  My sister has one and hers has migrated over the years, she would always complain about it when she wore jeans as well.

I used to have my tongue pierced back when it wasn't a common piercing to have done.  I took it out after a few years, I was changing up my punk rock look lol.  I have to admit I miss it, I have been tempted to get it done again, its the most painless piercing I have ever received but I did hate the few weeks of talking like a moron due to the swelling... so I probably will just have to miss having it lol
    ... I would rather get tattoos over piercings anyhoo.
    ~~ Five factors in determining zombie slaying weaponry: "1. Can it crush a skull in one blow? 2. If not, can it decapitate in said blow? 3. Is it easy to handle?  4. Is it light? 5. Is it durable?" (Max Brooks) ~~
    My little Blog about reading, knitting, and life.

Vampyre

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2008, 08:32:39 am »
    I'm not a big fan of piercings or tattoos.  I don't have any.  I have become more tolerant of tats since I started watching LA Ink.  Cat Von D is a very pretty woman even with all of her tats.

I think it's best that if someone wants to get in to the various forms of body art, they should remember to keep it in the less visible areas of the body.

Most places, especially here in the south will not hire people with piercings or tats that cant be covered up.  The only exception is tastefully pierced ears on females.

Offline Scathach

• CT
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: December 22, 2008, 08:39:32 am »
    I agree if you wanna get a real job its always best to get tattoos/piercings where they can't be easily seen.  That being said I have tons of friends who work in the medical field and in insurance who have full sleeves of tattoos on their arms, they just wear long sleeves at work and its never been an issue.  I personally don't really like tattoos on the neck or hands, though my husband does have a tribal sleeve that comes down on his hand and he has a great paying job as a lab tech and thermal spray tech, and his bosses don't really care about his tattoos.  Maybe folks are a little more tolerant of tattoos here in the northeast... I guess it all depends on how liberal the company is.
    ~~ Five factors in determining zombie slaying weaponry: "1. Can it crush a skull in one blow? 2. If not, can it decapitate in said blow? 3. Is it easy to handle?  4. Is it light? 5. Is it durable?" (Max Brooks) ~~

Offline DawnOfChaos

• Michigan
    • Arkham: 5th floor, room 38
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: December 22, 2008, 11:55:50 am »
    I don't have one yet, but I plan on getting one when I reach my goal weight in March. ;)

I'm planning to get one when I quit hiding my six pack under my pony keg.  tee hee hee
    Dawn
    Kindle2 :)

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Super Moderators-5
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: December 22, 2008, 12:03:57 pm »
    My mother dragged me to get my ears pierced ( 1 each) when I was in 8th grade.  I was Plato's ideal of a tomboy and Did Not Want It Done.  She said I'd thank her later.

I did.  :D

Need no other holes in me now, however. . . . .

Ann
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Rivery

• His paws are a bit big for the next page button!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: December 22, 2008, 12:35:20 pm »
    I had my ear cartilage done a year ago.  It took at trip to Jamaica and swimming in the ocean to heal it up.  I think I'll get the other ear done. ;)

Offline tessa

• long island ny
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: December 22, 2008, 01:03:21 pm »
    Mys oldest daughter has both I hate them but she was over 35 when she had them done

My niece has a butterfly got it done  when she was 18 and a 32 A now she's 46 and a 42 D  I would call it a butterfly any more.

Vampyre

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2008, 09:41:03 pm »
    Mys oldest daughter has both I hate them but she was over 35 when she had them done

My niece has a butterfly got it done  when she was 18 and a 32 A now she's 46 and a 42 D  I would call it a butterfly any more.

Mothra?

Offline tessa

• long island ny
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: December 22, 2008, 11:48:54 pm »
    very good I'm going to call her that I love it
    LOLROFPIP

Offline Teninx

• View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: December 23, 2008, 05:40:57 am »
    I've had one piercing. It was involuntary.

Offline robin.goodfellow

• Georgia
    • Have you got a flag?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: December 23, 2008, 06:32:06 am »
    Bar fight?

And was it a bar fight caused by you bumping into people after trying to jog to all the bars in Nashua?

(Can anyone tell that I have a LOT of work to do this morning?)

~robin
    "One of the advantages of being disorganized is that one is always having surprising discoveries."
    A.A. Milne

"In a library we are surrounded by many hundreds of dear friends imprisoned by an enchanter in paper and leathern boxes."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Teninx

• View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: December 23, 2008, 08:55:27 am »
    Bar fight?

And was it a bar fight caused by you bumping into people after trying to jog to all the bars in Nashua?

(Can anyone tell that I have a LOT of work to do this morning?)

~robin

Hehehe! No, fortunatly the few barfights I've engaged have been limited to fists. Now it would be limited to feet, as in me running away.

Offline Lotus

• Southern California
      • View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: December 23, 2008, 09:11:27 am »
    My mother was against me getting my ears pierced when I was a pre-teen. She'd never had hers done, and felt it was "tribal" (in a negative way) to have pierced ears. My aunt took me out and got them pierced, so there wasn't much Mom could say. She was even less happy when I had a second and then a third hole put in my left ear.

Offline Vegas_Asian

• Sin City
    • I know KungFu and 50 other dangerous words!!!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: December 23, 2008, 09:19:10 am »
    Mom got  my ears pierced as an infant.

Offline Bacardi Jim

• View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: December 23, 2008, 10:05:55 am »
    My thoughts:  If you are so miserably unhappy with the shape God made you that you feel you have to mutilate your body by inserting pieces of metal/wood/rubber etc. into it or permanently dying it with ink... then you should just kill yourself and hope that next time He decides to form some part of your essence into a shape that's more pleasing to you.

Self-mutilation is a sign of extremely low self-esteem.
    « Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 10:12:11 am by Bacardi Jim »
    At first Ford had formed a theory to account for this strange behavior. If human beings don't keep exercising their lips, he thought, their mouths probably seize up.
    After a few months' consideration and observation he abandoned this theory in favor of a new one. If they don't keep on exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working.

Offline ScrappingForever

• Maryland
      • View Profile
      • Author Michael Hicks
    « Reply #41 on: December 23, 2008, 10:10:58 am »
    Jim, once again, this is probably a thread you should just ignore. :D

My mother took me to get my ears pierced when I was a teen. I think we went to some place like JC Penney's or some other dept store. Can't remember now. She wanted to get her ears pierced, too, but she made me go first so she could see if it hurt too badly. :D
    Jan

Publicist for Author Michael Hicks
    http://authormichaelhicks.com

Offline Bacardi Jim

• View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: December 23, 2008, 10:12:46 am »
    I have a pierced ear, btw.
    At first Ford had formed a theory to account for this strange behavior. If human beings don't keep exercising their lips, he thought, their mouths probably seize up.
    After a few months' consideration and observation he abandoned this theory in favor of a new one. If they don't keep on exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working.

Offline Bacardi Jim

• View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: December 23, 2008, 10:13:54 am »
    Jim, once again, this is probably a thread you should just ignore. :D

But... but... I have a very strong and valid opinion on the subject of belly button rings. :(

Offline Bacardi Jim

• View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: December 23, 2008, 10:18:41 am »
    My mother dragged me to get my ears pierced ( 1 each) when I was in 8th grade.  I was Plato's ideal of a tomboy and Did Not Want It Done.  She said I'd thank her later.

I did.  :D

Need no other holes in me now, however. . . . .

Ann
    Good for you. :)

Offline Mikuto

• Foster City, CA
    • One can never be too well-read.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #45 on: December 23, 2008, 10:29:57 am »
    My thoughts:  If you are so miserably unhappy with the shape God made you that you feel you have to mutilate your body by inserting pieces of metal/wood/rubber etc. into it or permanently dying it with ink... then you should just kill yourself and hope that next time He decides to form some part of your essence into a shape that's more pleasing to you.

I would argue that God gave us ink and metal so why not make use good use of it? I see the human body as a beautiful canvas, and I for one love to see it painted. I understand there are differing views on the subject of course, but I find sleeve and neck tattoos incredibly sexy!
    Not once in my life has my train of thought taken a straight path between point A and point B without stopping to visit Y and F along the way.

Offline Scathach

• CT
      • View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: December 23, 2008, 11:01:26 am »
    I would argue that God gave us ink and metal so why not make use good use of it? I see the human body as a beautiful canvas, and I for one love to see it painted. I understand there are differing views on the subject of course, but I find sleeve and neck tattoos incredibly sexy!

I have to agree with you there Mikuto.  Actually tattooing and piercing have an extremely interesting history.  People get tattoos today for such a variety of reasons.  I think its a little narrow minded to think that people who get tattoos or piercing is a sign of low self esteem, but it is a common misperception however. I just finished doing an anthropological study on tattooing this past semester, and I talked to such a variety of people that defy the common stereotypes of the people who are into body modification.  The majority seemed to be very stable happy successful people they ranged from doctors and nurses, a really feisty and sweet grandmother (with a unicorn on her leg), older military men like my father, a social worker, and a ton of people who were white collar workers.  Some due it because they simply love the art style, some do to honor their ancestors, and there are folks who get em just cause they think they look cool lol.  Of course I did not do a psych eval of them so I can't honestly attest to their mental well being but they seemed like very nice people who had it together for the most part.  It's just disheartening when people label others with little research.  The demographics of the people who get tattoos and piercings have changed within the past 15 years or so, they are all not social deviants today.

Edit: Darn my spelling! I wish my English was better!  :'(
    « Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 11:12:52 am by Scathach »

Offline Teninx

• View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: December 23, 2008, 11:08:04 am »

Those who have such are likely content to wait for God's judgment and dismiss yours.

Offline Bacardi Jim

• View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: December 23, 2008, 11:17:08 am »
      It's just disheartening when people label others with little research. 

Actually, I have a dual B.A. in Anthropology and Sociology and a M.A in Soc.

I've done the research. :P

But all my intellectual knowledge about the various societal norms and mores that lead to "body modification" doesn't change my gut emotional reaction.  It's one of the few concepts about which I find it extremely difficult to be culturally relativistic.  Particularly in contemporary America, where the predominant norm is still against such "modification."  It's one of a very few norms of my society that I have pretty thoroughly integrated.

If you are a modern American who feels the need to "modify" your body (without the pressure of local sub-group mores telling you to do so), then it seems to me that that indicates that you aren't happy with your body the way it came out.  Else, no need to "modify" it.  And an unhappiness with one's self so extreme that it causes you to permanently change it (whether with ink, piercings or cosmetic surgery) is an indication of....

...you got it.  Low self-esteem.

Just my gut reaction.  And that of many modern Americans.

It's not often I agree with them.  Makes me kind of ashamed.  :-\

Offline Linda Cannon-Mott

• Assignment #118
      • View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: December 23, 2008, 11:17:32 am »

I have friends with tattoo's and piercings that are professionals and successful at what they do. Doctors, attorneys, nurses, contractor, computer programmer to name a few.  In your opinion tattoos and piercings may be a sign of low self-esteem but I do not agree with you. I have some body piercings myself and I don't have low self esteem. I certainly don't intend to follow your advice and kill myself!  :D

KBoards.com

• Advertisement