Kindle Forum banner

Belly Button Ring?

15K views 112 replies 32 participants last post by  chynared21 
#1 ·
Ok...so way off topic, I know...but since we're among friends here I thought I could ask.  I was wondering if anyone here has an experience with a belly button ring.  My daughter wants to get one and I was hoping for advice from someone who has one.

Thanks!

#77 ·
people get tattoos and piercing for 1 of 3 reasons

1.They like them.

2. On a dare.

3.Too much beer.

I'll never get a tattoos or any more piercings  (had my ears done at 16)  I hate needles but I will get my face,  boobs and  butt lifted, tucked or vac. out. to look  young again
and make me feel good  If God wanted me to look old and wrinkle that why did he give Doctors the brains to learn how to change me.

#79 ·
Does this mean I can't get my haircut anymore? What about shaving? Is this self-mutilation that I perform on a daily basis? How about my clothes? They aren't just for protection. Granted, they can be changed at will but it is still altering my appearance. Where is the line? (And does Leslie have it pierced?  ;) )

I like tats and most piercings...I just really hate needles.

#82 ·
Jeff said:
Wow. Here's proof that BJ can get a fight started over anything. What a guy. :D
I feel guilty, I kinda like it when Jim stirs things up a bit and makes you think lol

#85 ·
I have immune system that goes nutso whenever I even thought about modification! My ears were pierced as a kid and I spent a year battling infections. My doc said NO MORE piercings and don't even think of tattoos. He put the fear of god in me!

I also have a heart condition that makes it dangerous to get infections. My ears pierced made me spend 6 weeks in CCU and 4 more weeks in the hospital after that!

My brother got a tattoo and got sick also but not as bad as me. He still gets tats. He was always the dumber of us  :D

But believe me if I could I would have my nipples, belly button and other 'spots' pierced. I also would have tattoos as I love the look of them.

I'm just not crazy about some of the facial piercings or facial tats. But to each his own..

#86 ·
Bacardi Jim said:
I have a pierced ear, btw.
So, a pierced ear is that much different? An earring is seen by everyone...the belly button ring, not so much.

I was looking for opinions...but the whole "If you are so miserably unhappy with the shape God made you that you feel you have to mutilate your body by inserting pieces of metal/wood/rubber etc. into it or permanently dying it with ink... then you should just kill yourself " attitude was a little surprising. Especially since you have pierced a part of your body and are apparently still among the living.

#87 ·
Add this to my: I never talk politics or religion list...lol.

Seriously, me, personally NO. In my house I've had a rule from birth: No piercings, no tattoos; period. That's just me...though my twin brother has tattoos galore running up and down both arms. My son's girl has a belly ring...but she isn't my daughter. My daughter wants one...I told her I guess you will miss my cooking then. Obviously the masses are in favor; as everywhere I look some youngster has some part pierced and then some.

#88 ·
I can guarantee that I don't have low self esteem
(I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread)
but I enjoy tattoos. I curently have 3 and plan on getting a 4th. I insist on custom work. I design all my own tattoos. I can't stand the thought of "flash". Too generic. Mine also creates a little bit of personal history. If you're going to do it it has to be personal and meaningful other wise you'll probably regret it.

#90 ·
sjc I had the same rules ''no tattoos no piercing and no motorcycles while you live in my house''. My daughter was 35 married  mother of 2  and getting divorced  when she got her tattoo and piercing.  What could I say  I just cried in the shower.

With my sons  I remember  standing in front of the TV  praying to God Please let them come home safe  I didn't think about  about tattoos piercing or motorcycles that day.

Both my sons are  NYPD  that day was 911 and my youngest was 22  and that was his post my older son went looking for him.  It was the longest 48 hours of my life waiting for them to walk in my door.

So I learned to pick my fights. and most of all keep my mouth shut. 

#91 ·
My daughter has had one for over 10 years.  It hasn't hindered her work life at all.

She did have a few issues when it was first done and it took a while to heal.  This I hear is a common occurrence.

You know, there are people who don't like tats or piercings and that is your prerogative but really in the whole scheme of things, is it really that huge a deal?  I have more then one piecing in my ears and have a tattoo.  My daughter with the belly button ring has 6 earings in one ear and several tattoos.

We are normal people, just like the rest of you.  I run a successfull business and my tat and earings haven't held me back.

Jo

#92 ·
Tessa:  Just read your response...the 48 hours must have felt like 48 days.  My heart beat fast just reading your post.  Whew...boy.  Thanks for sharing...I have the no motorcycles thing too; 3 close friends were killed that way; and I know I'm in the minority but I just can't...

#93 ·
I had my belly button pierced in my teens.  I took the piercing out about three years ago and to my chagrin, there is still a very prominent hole in my stomach.  In hindsight, I would not have pierced it.  I think it looks gross and the last body part I want to draw attention to is my stomach!  :D

#95 ·
jmiked said:
I have to say that after browsing this thread I feel so drab and unimaginative. I don't even wear any rings or a watch.

Mike
LOL. I wear my college class ring and my wedding band, that's it. No make up either. My ears were pierced, somewhat against my wishes. I grew up hearing my parents say "If God wanted extra holes in your ears, he would have put them there." My younger sister kept begging to get her ears pierced. Then one year my Grandmother gave my sister and I both a set of opal earrings, that pretty much ending that. Sis and I got our ears pierced. And sis lost BOTH sets of earrings.

I had considered a tat of the Greek faces of Comedy and Tragedy and would be on my waist. But after watching DH get his last tat, i said no way! I thought about a belly button ring in college, when my tummy was slim and cute but even then I knew that wouldn't last forever.

#96 ·
I think the whole problem with tattoo and piercing thing is: It looks good when you are young, smooth, toned and trim...after that; when gravity sets in and you have to read between the wrinkles to even make out the tattoo...not so cute.  When you're old and your eyebrow piercing is down on your cheek...not so cute...lol.

#98 ·
tessa said:
Both my sons are NYPD that day was 911 and my youngest was 22 and that was his post my older son went looking for him. It was the longest 48 hours of my life waiting for them to walk in my door.
Makes all other things seem silly, doesn't it? I'm so glad that they were alright.

That was a very long time for a lot of us, locals I mean, and it was so eerily quiet for a large city.

#99 ·
sjc said:
I think the whole problem with tattoo and piercing thing is: It looks good when you are young, smooth, toned and trim...after that; when gravity sets in and you have to read between the wrinkles to even make out the tattoo...not so cute. When you're old and your eyebrow piercing is down on your cheek...not so cute...lol.
LOL, I wouldn't consider myself young when I got mine pierced at 35...after loosing a good amount of weight and having a kid 4 years earlier ;-p

#100 ·
Wow...when I asked the question I never expected to start a debate! Sorry!!

Just an update...my daughter, after thoroughly cleaning her room (which was part of the deal), got her belly button ring today. 

Thanks for the words of support...I know she appreciated being allowed to express herself in the way she wanted to.

#101 ·
Spiritdancer said:
Wow...when I asked the question I never expected to start a debate! Sorry!!

Just an update...my daughter, after thoroughly cleaning her room (which was part of the deal), got her belly button ring today.

Thanks for the words of support...I know she appreciated being allowed to express herself in the way she wanted to.
It has been a friendly debate so not a problem. :) Congrats to your daughter, I bet she is excited.

Linda

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.