Author Topic: What gave your day a "thump" today?  (Read 168808 times)  

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
    • View Profile
Re: What gave your day a "thump" today?
« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2010, 06:00:39 am »
we have a Wally here in this small community of mostly gringoes - oh they were all excited about it - not me - after awhile they have found the prices are higher and they DON'T carry things that gringoes want  ??? as if it was built just for them.  Me, I have not stepped foot in it and don't plan on it.  That's not a thump for me tho  ;D
Dona
on the shores of Lake Chapala, Mexico

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Brendan Carroll

• Texas
    • Only a fool can rule the world.
      • View Profile
      • Brendan Carroll
    « Reply #101 on: April 17, 2010, 05:33:28 pm »
    I must say something in defense of Wal-Mart.  I go to Wal-mart several times a month and I buy millions of dollars worth of stuff from them.  And tell me something... where else can you see and do and say the most outlandish things in public?  One day, a little old lady was with her granddaughter (I'm sure) and her granddaughter had her approx. 1 month old child in the buggy.  She's talking to a stocker-boy and using the four letter work... yeah the f-bomb profusely. So her grandmother says "Shhh, honey.  The people..." And the girl said "Awww, shut up grandma.  I don't give a f... about these people."  Granny turned to me and said "Oh, you know kids."  I said "Since when do kids look like undead hookers and talk like sailors on crack?"  Whereupon, the undead hooker turned up her multi-pierced nose and scooted away from me.

Offline drenee

• West Virginia
    • Member 527
      • View Profile
    « Reply #102 on: April 17, 2010, 05:34:41 pm »
    Brendan, I would say I see those very same people in my courtroom. 
    deb
    Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life.

WwF  DRA60
    Miss you, Dona, Jeff and Harvey.

Offline Susan in VA

• Northern Virginia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #103 on: April 17, 2010, 06:02:29 pm »
    I said "Since when do kids look like undead hookers and talk like sailors on crack?" 

This is the kind of thing I always wish I had the nerve to really say.
    Vivete con gioia e semplicit
    State buoni se potete
    Tutto il resto vanit.

Offline Brendan Carroll

• Texas
      • View Profile
      • Brendan Carroll
    « Reply #104 on: April 17, 2010, 06:30:46 pm »
    Brendan, I would say I see those very same people in my courtroom.  
    deb
    I know what you mean, Miss Deb.  I went to the zoo in Houston with a dear friend of mine once a while back and I saw a couple dressed in Goth replete with fangs.  They were pushing one of those big black perambulators like you used to see in old Sherlock Holmes movies.  I thought it was a joke or something, but they had an actual 'human' infant in the thing and when they saw me looking at them, they actually hissed at me, vampire style.  You just never know what you'll see next or hear.
    This is the kind of thing I always wish I had the nerve to really say.
    I guess my former occupation of over twenty years makes it easier for me to let my opinions fly free.  Besides what more could she say without risk of being arrested?

Offline Susan in VA

• Northern Virginia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #105 on: April 17, 2010, 06:39:17 pm »
    I guess my former occupation of over twenty years makes it easier for me to let my opinions fly free.

Are you going to share with us what that was?   ???
    State buoni se potete
    Tutto il resto vanit.

Offline Brendan Carroll

• Texas
      • View Profile
      • Brendan Carroll
    « Reply #106 on: April 17, 2010, 06:53:45 pm »
    That is why I usually mention on the bump thread the fact that I don't have to go to work anymore.  I worked for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice for over twenty-three years inside male prison units as a supervisor of officers and offenders.  And it never, ever failed to surprise me day after day just how low human beings can sink on both sides of the fence.  On the other hand, I saw some miraculous events.  I might just write a book about it some day.

Offline Susan in VA

• Northern Virginia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #107 on: April 17, 2010, 06:59:31 pm »

That book might turn out to be on the required reading list for people going into the justice/corrections field!
    State buoni se potete
    Tutto il resto vanit.

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
      • View Profile
    « Reply #108 on: April 18, 2010, 10:08:30 am »
    Brendan - that is priceless!  I am SOOOO proud of you for saying that  ;D
    Dona

Offline NogDog

• View Profile
    « Reply #109 on: April 18, 2010, 09:34:48 pm »
    Found a small growth on one of Noggin's hind feet. I'll be calling the vet later this morning for an appointment. He had a larger growth near the groin removed a little over a year ago which was benign, so I'll be losing sleep until (hopefully) the same is determined for this one. He, of course, is sleeping soundly as I type this.  ::)

Offline Susan in VA

• Northern Virginia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #110 on: April 18, 2010, 09:37:25 pm »

Keeping my fingers crossed for Noggin!  Please keep us posted.
    State buoni se potete
    Tutto il resto vanit.

Offline luvmy4brats

• Enabler Extraordinaire
    • Eastern Shore, MD
      • View Profile
    « Reply #111 on: April 18, 2010, 10:03:01 pm »
    Fingers crossed for Noggin!

My thump is I have a horrible case of hiccups and can't sleep. I had to leave the bedroom so I don't wake up my husband.

Offline NogDog

• View Profile
    « Reply #112 on: April 19, 2010, 06:00:58 am »
    Noggin says thanks for all the good wishes.

It's been a long time since I had a really bad case of hiccups, but the one sure-fire cure that works for me is the drinking some water from the opposite side of the glass trick (i.e.: you have to bend over to do it, which means you have to swallow very carefully to prevent water from draining down into your nose, which I think is part of the secret -- the other part being that you are concentrating on the cure instead of the hiccups. :) )

Offline Susan in VA

• Northern Virginia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #113 on: April 20, 2010, 03:26:15 am »

In my childhood that was known as "Seven Sips From the Wrong Side".  Because of course it only works if you take exactly seven sips.  ;D ::)
    State buoni se potete
    Tutto il resto vanit.

Offline drenee

• West Virginia
    • Member 527
      • View Profile
    « Reply #114 on: April 20, 2010, 11:07:49 am »
    Any updates for Noggin?
    deb

WwF  DRA60

Offline Brendan Carroll

• Texas
      • View Profile
      • Brendan Carroll
    « Reply #115 on: April 20, 2010, 04:19:52 pm »
    Another Wal-Mart thump.  Sometimes I wonder if they even like my money?  But this was a customer not an employee or a product.  She looked like a nice little old lady... yep!  So you already know.  Anyhow, she was holding up the line because she didn't believe the Brita Water Filter pitcher she had in her cart cost what the register scanned.  Since I was tired of waiting while the Associates struggled to find a manager, I employed my super-human photographic memory and quickly located the item in the sales paper I had in my hand.  I said "Excuse me, madame, but I believe this pictograph correctly displays the selfsame pitcher in question at the very same price indicated on the LED display now showing on the register."  Madame snatched the paper from me, glanced down the page and said "No, sir! That is the faucet version!"  She then threw the sales paper into her empty cart and turned her attention back to the embarrassed salesclerk who had what appeared to be razor wire tats covering both his forearms and glass specimen sample jars stuck through both his earlobes.  Fortunately, I had another salespaper (you see they are quite commonly left in the shopping carts by the previous tenants), whereupon I found the pitcher again and said "Excuse me, again, madame, but I believe if you will cast your eyes slightly below and to the left of the... faucet version, you will see the exact pitcher you have there for the exact price on the register."
    To wit she exclaimed "Oh, I do believe it is the same pitcher!"  She turned to the salesclerk and said "I'm so sorry, but that's OK, I don't want the pitcher."  To wit I, having received no apology or thankyou for my trouble said "It is not OK, madame, that you have been holding up this line with your silliness for over ten minutes and now you do not wish to purchase the item in question!  You should be made to purchase not only that item, but you should be charged a parking fee as well!"  After which I laughed evilly.  She refused to look at me while she paid her bill, checked my own shopping cart twice to see if she had left anything in MY cart and then started away from the counter.  When I pushed my cart up to the bagging area, she suddenly returned, pushed my shopping cart aside and checked all the bags on the bag spinner device thingy to see if she'd left anything behind before giving me a scathing look.  I turned my attention to the tatted fellow and he said "Hi! How are you today?!"  I replied "Tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, than offer aid to Wal-Mart shoppers." :-\ (Based on a true story... unfortunately)
    « Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 06:13:29 pm by Brendan Carroll »

Offline drenee

• West Virginia
    • Member 527
      • View Profile
    « Reply #116 on: April 20, 2010, 04:23:38 pm »
    Brendon, your Walmart thumps are quite entertaining. 
    I'm thinking we may need to start a Brendon's Excellent Adventures at Walmart thread.
    deb

WwF  DRA60

Offline Brendan Carroll

• Texas
      • View Profile
      • Brendan Carroll
    « Reply #117 on: April 20, 2010, 04:28:28 pm »
    I have been thinking of doing just that and allowing all Wal-Mart shoppers to post their own stories.  Of course, there is the stigma attached to being a Wal-Mart shopper which I addressed on a thread on the Book Bazaar in an effort to cheer up a fellow author, but it might be worth looking into... :)

Offline Meredith Sinclair

• Deep in the HEART of TEXAS
    • I am a TRUE Texas Girl...Missing My friend Dona...
      • View Profile
      • MySpace
    « Reply #118 on: April 20, 2010, 05:32:42 pm »
    "It is not OK, madame, that you have been holding up this line with your silliness for over ten minutes and now you do not wish to purchase the item in question!  You should be made to purchase not only that item, but you should be charged a parking fee as well!"  After which I laughed evilly.  She refused to look at me while she paid her bill, checked my own shopping cart twice to see if she had left anything in MY cart and then started away from the counter.  When I pushed my cart up to the bagging area, she suddenly returned, pushed my shopping cart aside and checked all the bags on the bag spinner device thingy to see if she'd left nothing behind before giving me a scathing look.  I turned my attention to the tatted fellow and he said "Hi! How are you today?!"  I replied "Tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, than offer aid to Wal-Mart shoppers." :-\ (Based on a true story... unfortunately)
    BRENDAN! You... DID...NOT... REEEEEALLY say that to MY Grandmother!!!!...... Did you??? >:( >:( ::)
    The Apprentice Diaries
    Hey, D'Lani Elliott is me!!! I helped Brendan write this book! Yay, Me!!

Offline NogDog

• View Profile
    « Reply #119 on: April 20, 2010, 06:03:49 pm »
    Any updates for Noggin?
    deb

Thanks for asking.

The vet says the growth is not tumorous. (I don't remember the technical name she used, but it's just something local to the skin.) Since Noggin does not appear to be bothered by it in any way, we'll just keep an eye on it and leave it as is unless it begins to bother him or starts to grow noticeably.

Offline Brendan Carroll

• Texas
      • View Profile
      • Brendan Carroll
    « Reply #120 on: April 20, 2010, 06:07:00 pm »
    So!  She really was your grandmother, Miss Meredith?  I thought as much and asked her, but she denied it.  Is this her?
      I snapped it with my cell phone.

Brendan - that is priceless!  I am SOOOO proud of you for saying that  ;D
    Thank you, Miss Anju, someone has to say it, right?

• View Profile
      • MySpace
    « Reply #121 on: April 20, 2010, 06:15:43 pm »
    So!  She really was your grandmother, Miss Meredith?  I thought as much and asked her, but she denied it.  Is this her?BRENDAN!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( You should NOT go 'round snapping pictures of GRANNY in her nite-nite clothes! :D

Thanks for asking.

The vet says the growth is not tumorous. (I don't remember the technical name she used, but it's just something local to the skin.) Since Noggin does not appear to be bothered by it in any way, we'll just keep an eye on it and leave it as is unless it begins to bother him or starts to grow noticeably.

I totally missed this update... due to someone  ::) distracting me....

Congrats on Noggin's health... I saw Ms. Deb had asked earlier but did not see your response...  :-[
    « Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 07:09:37 pm by Meredith Sinclair »
    The Apprentice Diaries

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
      • View Profile
    « Reply #122 on: April 21, 2010, 05:31:08 am »
    wonderful news nogdog!  You need to post that in the bump thread as well!
    Dona

• View Profile
      • MySpace
    « Reply #123 on: April 21, 2010, 06:53:59 pm »
    Nogdog, I know the news is a great relief.

I propose we have a National Kindle Meet-up at Brendens's Wal-Mart. We can all follow him around and be entertained. Congratulations, Brenden, on saying what needed to be said.  :)
    Co-ooooobie... you don't like my Granny?! ::) ;)
    The Apprentice Diaries

Offline patrisha w.

• Vermont
    • "I yam what I yam"
      • View Profile
    « Reply #124 on: April 21, 2010, 07:12:22 pm »
    Being sick all night and expecting my DH to coddle and then finding out that he was also sick.... *sigh*
    I am in almost the same situation. My partner Fred is fighting valiantly against a killer cold with cough and runny nose. I have been waiting on him, hand and foot. Today I started my version of it! I was really sorry to tell him he would have to get his own drinks but even more sorry that no one is waiting hand and foot on me because he although he is feeling better, he isn't really well enough to do for me what I have  been doing for him! And to give him his fair dues, if he wasn't feeling bad, he definitely would be helping me. Poor timing on my part!

Patrisha

KBoards.com

• Advertisement