Author Topic: What gave your day a "thump" today?  (Read 168803 times)  

Offline Brendan Carroll

• Texas
  • Only a fool can rule the world.
    • View Profile
    • Brendan Carroll
Re: What gave your day a "thump" today?
« Reply #125 on: April 21, 2010, 07:27:02 pm »
Nogdog, I know the news is a great relief.

I propose we have a National Kindle Meet-up at Brendens's Wal-Mart. We can all follow him around and be entertained. Congratulations, Brenden, on saying what needed to be said.  :)
That would be easy, Miss Cobbie.  We could just meet at any given local Super Wal-Mart at any given time of the day on any given day of the week and Voila!  There would be trouble to attend to and I, Super-Sarcast, would save the day with my witty retort, quick come-backs and acid remarks.  Of course, I may have to eventually start wearing body armor and carrying a can of pepper spray...  But these things are not confined to Wal-Mart.  Just to be fair, allow me to recount an incident that occurred in a.... ta-dah!!! Mall Super Expensive Coffee Shop located in a super-expensive bookstore where I was trying to impress my super-critical mother, God bless her sweet little soul.

I was standing in a rather long line.  A skinny fellow with a big nose and a perpetually partially open mouth was working at a snail's pace behind the counter.  There were no other snails present.  The line was moving very slowly as everyone waited patiently to plunk down $7.95 for a cup of their favorite coffee flavored concoction.  (Mine of course would be nearer $20 because my blessed mother wished to enjoy some biscotti with her frappaccino.)  There were four people in front of me and three people behind me.  The line was so long, we had to make a gap for people trying to get from one side of the shop to the other.  The lady in front of me crossed the gap and I maintained the opening politely. 

Suddenly, out of nowhere, two fellows of possibly Middle-Eastern descent walked in speaking to each other rapidly in their highly invigorating native tongue.  At first, I thought they were going to pass through the gap in the line, but then discovered that they were, instead, set upon filling the gap with their bodies.
Everyone behind me moaned aloud, but they did not slow in their chatter.  I noticed my mother's eyes popping out of her head and caught that old familiar look of "What the h... are you waiting for?"

I politely tapped the nearest fellow on the shoulder and said Excuse me, friend.  He glanced back, ignored me and continued to talk to his companion.

I tapped his shoulder again, a little harder and he turned to cast a disdainful look at me.  I said In the land you come from, have they not invented the line?  I asked him and smiled my best condescending smile because he had already pegged me as an idiot
Excuse me? he said.  "What do you want?  Why did you touch me?"  His attitude left much to be desired.

The line, I explained.  People in this country form lines like this one whenever there is a need to wait for services such as that rendered by our solitary coffee artist in attendance at the counter.  I believe that these people behind me would agree that you have broken a cardinal rule of order by inserting yourselves in the middle of this line, not only blocking the flow of traffic, but causing them to wait even longer to throw their money away on these frivolous, yet dreadfully over-priced drinks.  Having said this, I heard a small cheer go up behind me.
The two fellows in question quickly vacated the premises immediately even though I was quite prepared to explain how the line worked.  Now some might say that I was rude to them because they were of Middle Estern appearance, but that is NOT true.  I was rude to them because they were idiots and idiots come in all colors, all races, all religions, all financial circumstances, all educational levels, etc., etc., etc.  (Based on an actual incident.  Names are withheld because I didnt know anyone in the store but my dearest mother.)
Forgive me for speaking out, but enough is enough!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Susan in VA

• Northern Virginia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #126 on: April 21, 2010, 07:35:54 pm »

<giggle>  Oh Brendan, you're a breath of fresh air!  I sooo wish someone would really talk to Obnoxious People in that way. 
    Vivete con gioia e semplicit
    State buoni se potete
    Tutto il resto vanit.

Offline Meredith Sinclair

• Deep in the HEART of TEXAS
    • I am a TRUE Texas Girl...Missing My friend Dona...
      • View Profile
      • MySpace
    « Reply #127 on: April 21, 2010, 07:43:22 pm »
    <giggle>  Oh Brendan, you're a breath of fresh air!  I sooo wish someone would really talk to Obnoxious People in that way. 
    Suuuu-zan.... ::) Ya don't belieeeeeve him?? :o
    The Apprentice Diaries
    Hey, D'Lani Elliott is me!!! I helped Brendan write this book! Yay, Me!!

Offline Susan in VA

• Northern Virginia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #128 on: April 21, 2010, 08:45:56 pm »

Note that he said "based on", which is a euphemism for "has some remote and tenuous connection to reality".  ;D
    State buoni se potete
    Tutto il resto vanit.

• View Profile
      • MySpace
    « Reply #129 on: April 21, 2010, 08:57:55 pm »
    Of course, I believe him. Brenden wouldn't lie. Just ask his mother.

I was getting sleepy when I found this thread but Brenden has taken care of that. Good thing our master bedroom to which DH has retired is on the other end of the house. I would have easily awakened him by now.  :)
    ;D
    Note that he said "based on", which is a euphemism for "has some remote and tenuous connection to reality".  ;D
    Oooooohhhh... >:( :-\ :-[ I thought it meant... neeee-ver miiiind... :-[ ::)
    The Apprentice Diaries

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
      • View Profile
    « Reply #130 on: April 22, 2010, 05:20:51 am »
    I believe him!  My brother probably would have done the same thing so there are folks that can do it and get away with it  ::)
    Dona
    on the shores of Lake Chapala, Mexico

Offline BTackitt

• Texas, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #131 on: April 22, 2010, 07:35:24 pm »
    /pout
    I guess nobody liked the Hunky wallpapers I put up yesterday..
    Oh well.. More eye-candy for me.
    "If man has no tea in him, he is incapable of understanding truth and beauty." ~Japanese Proverb
    Screensaver Images: http://s684.photobucket.com/home/B_Tackitt/index

• View Profile
      • MySpace
    « Reply #132 on: April 22, 2010, 08:46:42 pm »
    Found out today... :( ??? My DH thinks Girl Scout (Lemonades) cookies grow on trees... He decided a while back that since I gave up everything for Lent he could sell my case of Caramel Delights... I was not sooo upset about that because I knew I had my standby cookies... Then today that case of Lemonades disappeared!!!! :o ::) He said he thought they were EXTRA!!!! Whereas HIS Thin Mints case still "resides" in our pantry... He said "nobody wanted THIN MINTS... they all want Lemonades..." Well, DANG IT!!! So did DD & I... HENCE the reason I bought them for US... Not his crew at work! :-[
    The Apprentice Diaries

Offline Susan in VA

• Northern Virginia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #133 on: April 22, 2010, 08:59:17 pm »

Oh, Meredith!!  How could he!!   :o
    State buoni se potete
    Tutto il resto vanit.

• View Profile
      • MySpace
    « Reply #134 on: April 22, 2010, 09:06:06 pm »
    Oh, Meredith!!  How could he!!   :o

Uhhhh... He's a MAN! Act first... ask no questions...(instead of ask questions later as is the "norm") DD almost cried... We had planned on giving 3 boxes to Olivia at the Austin meet up and the rest were ours... a box a month until next SEASON!... I really don't know what made him decide to do it... think I will mosey on down there tomorrow after work and see which office girl has my cookies! >:( All of this and the kidney stone is still wreaking havoc!
    The Apprentice Diaries

Offline ValeriGail

• Livingston, Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #135 on: April 22, 2010, 10:38:16 pm »
    Oh.My.God!

Thats pretty much all I got!

Oh.My.God! 

He sold your caramel delights and lived to make the same mistake again?????!!!!!!!    You must be nicer than me.   ;)

My husband would probably do the same thing though.  Gets it in his brain that if its sitting there for a while, then we must not want it. 

~Valeri~
    GoodReads: ValeriGail
    Currently reading on Iphone6+, Fire, and IPad.

Offline Brendan Carroll

• Texas
      • View Profile
      • Brendan Carroll
    « Reply #136 on: April 23, 2010, 04:34:35 pm »
    Uhhhh... He's a MAN! Act first... ask no questions...(instead of ask questions later as is the "norm") DD almost cried... We had planned on giving 3 boxes to Olivia at the Austin meet up and the rest were ours... a box a month until next SEASON!... I really don't know what made him decide to do it... think I will mosey on down there tomorrow after work and see which office girl has my cookies! >:( All of this and the kidney stone is still wreaking havoc!
    I should think that you would have known better than to leave Lemonades unprotected or Caramel Delites... my God, woman!  You should have sent them to me and I would have kept them for you.  We could have worked out something like a schedule where I would have sent the cookies to you one box a year or something... who is this Olivia? Do you believe that you can trust just anyone with GS Cookies?  DH's being MEN aside!  This is exactly the reason I wouldn't have one either!  LOL.  :D :D Sorry for your loss.  Sympathy card forthcoming. :( :'(

Offline Brendan Carroll

• Texas
      • View Profile
      • Brendan Carroll
    « Reply #137 on: April 23, 2010, 04:49:48 pm »
    Note that he said "based on", which is a euphemism for "has some remote and tenuous connection to reality".  ;D
    Yes, I said based on because I can't remember the exact words, but I really did do that and afterwards I kept looking for the PC police to show up and drag me off to their dungeon for interrogation or something.
     I had another encounter (thump) with a pair of foreign business fellows recently.  A father and son operation selling used cars... yes, I know used cars *sigh*.  They were from Nigeria.  I should have known from the name of the place which I will not post but sounded like something straight out of "Tarzan"  :D and was unbelievable in the first place (I thought there was a logical explanation for it... there wasn't :-\).  Anyhow, they listed a Lincoln LS with great mileage, great looks, great everything and I had been looking for another Lincoln to invest in since I had to sell my baby, my girl, my beautiful Mark VIII... *another bigger sigh* :'(.  So I travel about four hours to get to Zimbabwe Express and when I pull in, I say to myself "Self you have made a serious miscalculation here."  Oh, they were friendly enough.  The car was a clunker, over-priced, smelly and in need of a new front grill. :(  Previous owner: Oh, yeah!  Enterprise Car Rentals!!  :D The mileage?  They had inadvertantly left off a zero.. but, hey!  What's a zero if not nothing, eh, my brother? Big  ;D. The bad thing was that the son wanted to sell the car.  He kept knocking off the price and knocking off the price until finally Big Daddy said "What is the matter with you, my son? >:(  Do you not wish to feed your wife and your children?"  Whereupon, they had a huge misunderstanding in their native tongue that sounded very personal and none-too-brotherly >:(.  I finally told them I would sleep on it and let them know on the morrow.  When they called the next day, I said that the mileage was too high and the grill was broken.  Son said "OH!  My goodness, gracious, Mr. Carroll!  You should have said something.  I would have fixed it myself immediately ;D."  Like I said, they were nice and they were entertaining, but carsalesmen they were not! :D :D
    « Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 08:58:43 pm by Brendan Carroll »

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
      • View Profile
    « Reply #138 on: April 24, 2010, 07:36:25 am »
    Meredith - I understand there are some good websites that tell you how to get rid of blood on the carpet  ::)

Is your DH still able to walk around and function?  Mine would never ever ever do that because he knows I would be very unhappy and probably bop him with my walker a few times  ???

My thump today, and if the mods want to delete this it's fine, but I go to the Intro and Welcome thread and really enjoy meeting new people from all over the world, but it appears that it is nothing but "new" authors trying to sell their books.  Got news for them since that is obviously the only reason they are here I ain't a gonna buy from them, we have too many established/interactive/authors that join in our discussions and fun.  I'll re-read Gertie, Ricky, Branden, Jeff, Mike, Thumper, Rye, etc., first.  Sorry - off my soapbox!
    Dona

Offline intinst

• Shannon Hills, AR
    • 'just enough clouds to create a beautiful sunset
      • View Profile
    « Reply #139 on: April 24, 2010, 08:03:32 am »
    Meredith - I understand there are some good websites that tell you how to get rid of blood on the carpet  ::)

Is your DH still able to walk around and function?  Mine would never ever ever do that because he knows I would be very unhappy and probably bop him with my walker a few times  ???

My thump today, and if the mods want to delete this it's fine, but I go to the Intro and Welcome thread and really enjoy meeting new people from all over the world, but it appears that it is nothing but "new" authors trying to sell their books.  Got news for them since that is obviously the only reason they are here I ain't a gonna buy from them, we have too many established/interactive/authors that join in our discussions and fun.  I'll re-read Gertie, Ricky, Branden, Jeff, Mike, Thumper, Rye, etc., first.  Sorry - off my soapbox!
    Room up there beside you for me?
    I  wish that there where some way to separate the author promo from the people who are readers in the introductions as well.
    I don't greet the ones that  go"Hi I'm new, buy my book!"  If they say that they read on a Kindle, I am much happier to post my welcome greeting with the links t get started. Seems a waste if all they're going to do is come here a time or two pimping their book. I'll get down now, too.
    A great many people now reading and writing would be better employed keeping rabbits.  Edith Sitwell 
    Your work is to keep cranking the flywheel that turns the gears that spin the belt in the
    engine of belief that keeps you and your desk in midair. Annie Dillard

Located just outside Little Rock, Arkansas

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #140 on: April 24, 2010, 08:13:23 am »
    Room up there beside you for me?
    I  wish that there where some way to separate the author promo from the people who are readers in the introductions as well.
    I don't greet the ones that  go"Hi I'm new, buy my book!"  If they say that they read on a Kindle, I am much happier to post my welcome greeting with the links t get started. Seems a waste if all they're going to do is come here a time or two pimping their book. I'll get down now, too.

Aren't you guys glad you knew me when?   ;D

My thump was actually yesterday.  I always take my netbook with me to GS's TKD and I get quite a bit of work done.  Okay, so sometimes I watch dance videos, but that's just for inspiration, you understand. 

Anyway, rude cell phone person in the parent's room last night.  Gabbed for over an hour, laughing, screaming, yelling.  Must have been quite a conversation, but it was in Spanish.  Hey, maybe I'm ticked off because I couldn't eavesdrop?   ::)  Headache!

Offline Victorine

• Nebraska
      • View Profile
    « Reply #141 on: April 24, 2010, 08:27:10 am »

Sorry, you're probably talking about me.   :-[

I did see your welcome message... thank you!  Didn't mean to offend... was just trying to introduce myself.  You don't have to buy my book!    :P

Hope I don't step on everyone's toes here.  Didn't mean to!!  *slinks away*

Vicki
    Not What She Seems - A NYT's Bestseller

Now Available! Accidentally Married

Offline Susan in VA

• Northern Virginia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #142 on: April 24, 2010, 08:30:36 am »
    Dona and intinst, I do agree with you, BUT I'd also like to point out that there have been a few new authors recently who jumped in with both feet and joined the fun  --  yes they mentioned their books, but apart from that they had non-book conversations and made jokes and posted pictures and such.   Not all new ones are pushy, and I'd hate for the "nice" ones to feel they were being included in the group that's being complained about.
    State buoni se potete
    Tutto il resto vanit.

Offline intinst

• Shannon Hills, AR
    • 'just enough clouds to create a beautiful sunset
      • View Profile
    « Reply #143 on: April 24, 2010, 10:20:08 am »
    Dona and intinst, I do agree with you, BUT I'd also like to point out that there have been a few new authors recently who jumped in with both feet and joined the fun  --  yes they mentioned their books, but apart from that they had non-book conversations and made jokes and posted pictures and such.   Not all new ones are pushy, and I'd hate for the "nice" ones to feel they were being included in the group that's being complained about.
    Yes, I know and do welcome those. My problem is with the ones who post once then never again or only to push their book. I love to have authors participate in KB, and no I don't think the have to own a Kindle, though I believe it would help them see formatting issues. I am sorry if I came across a little terse., 11 days till knee replacement and I am a little cross from pain/ edgy about surgery/ an old curmudgeon anyway.

A great many people now reading and writing would be better employed keeping rabbits.  Edith Sitwell 
    Your work is to keep cranking the flywheel that turns the gears that spin the belt in the
    engine of belief that keeps you and your desk in midair. Annie Dillard

Located just outside Little Rock, Arkansas

Offline Jeff

• McGregor, Texas
    • Member 95
      • View Profile
      • J. Hepple, Inc.
    « Reply #144 on: April 24, 2010, 10:29:06 am »
    My problem is with the ones who post once then never again or only to push their book. I love to have authors participate in KB, and no I don't think the have to own a Kindle, though I believe it would help them see formatting issues.

Offline Susan in VA

• Northern Virginia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #145 on: April 24, 2010, 10:33:37 am »
    11 days till knee replacement and I am a little cross from pain/ edgy about surgery/ an old curmudgeon anyway.

A big virtual hug to you, intinst.
    State buoni se potete
    Tutto il resto vanit.

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #146 on: April 24, 2010, 02:00:11 pm »
    Eight weeks of writing and revising a Harry Potter play for my HP Book Club kids to put on in the Reader's Theater.  Eight weeks of them practicing and making costumes. Then one teacher brings in three groups, they ran way overtime, and my kids were only allowed to put on two pages. 

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
      • View Profile
    « Reply #147 on: April 24, 2010, 02:02:34 pm »
    You are right Susan, but it appears the majority don't join in.  The ones that do join in I check out their works because they are not here just to promo.  Vicki that includes you, you have been posting all over the place like you are not just promoting your works so you can quit slinking.

Thanks intinst and Jeff, for supporting me.
    Dona

Offline Jeff

• McGregor, Texas
    • Member 95
      • View Profile
      • J. Hepple, Inc.
    « Reply #148 on: April 24, 2010, 02:35:36 pm »
    Eight weeks of writing and revising a Harry Potter play for my HP Book Club kids to put on in the Reader's Theater.  Eight weeks of them practicing and making costumes. Then one teacher brings in three groups, they ran way overtime, and my kids were only allowed to put on two pages. 
    Oh no. That's awful.

Thanks intinst and Jeff, for supporting me.
    When you're right, you're right.

Offline Victorine

• Nebraska
      • View Profile
    « Reply #149 on: April 24, 2010, 05:25:48 pm »
    Vicki that includes you, you have been posting all over the place like you are not just promoting your works so you can quit slinking.

:D  Thanks!  I'll unslink now.  (At least I would if that were a real word.  LOL)

Vicki
    Not What She Seems - A NYT's Bestseller

Now Available! Accidentally Married

KBoards.com

• Advertisement