Author Topic: What gave your day a "thump" today?  (Read 168806 times)  

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
  • DH and me
    • View Profile
    • Origami Turtle's photostream
Re: What gave your day a "thump" today?
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2010, 10:24:09 am »
Annalog, that's a shame!  Good suggestion on your feedback to Amazon!  I always suggest to people if they do a lot of notes on their Kindles that they back up the folder with the notes (documents on Kindle 2?  that's what it is on K1) periodically.  You can do it by connecting to the computer with USB, and then dragging the folder over.
Betsy
Betsy, the folder is documents on K2 and KDX as well. I do backup periodically. Fortunately I had done a backup on Friday so I still had 24 of the notes/highlights I had made so far on that book.  :) If I did not do periodic backups, as well as dated renaming of the My Clippings.txt file, I would have been more upset earlier. The highlights were easy to recreate from the My Clippings file but the notes were a bit more difficult as I note all words that I look up or tried to look up with "lookup" and "lookup later". Unfortunately only the location number is given for notes, not the word on which the note is placed. In this book I sometimes had 3 or more words in a single location marked with a note. I would have hated to have had to find those words if it had been more than a couple days since I originally created the note.  I would have had to rely too much on my memory. ::) (EDIT: The hardest one for me to find was where to put a "typo" note as it was a single letter error within a name.  :D)

Also, since I was recreating the notes and highlights in succession, I was running into the problem of the Kindle indexing the annotations file and the My Clippings file while I was trying to add more annotations.  ::) At least I could read KindleBoards while I was waiting for the Kindle to catch up.  ;D

I also always backup before upgrades, re-indexing, and before deliberately deleting any files. It is those accidental deletes that are a problem.  >:(

EDIT: While most of my annotation files are less than 10 KB, I currently have 15 files between 10 and 70 KB. The file for this book is currently at 28 KB. (Yes, I did another backup this morning.  ;)) The largest annotation file I created was 140 KB at which point my K2 was crawling along.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 10:38:19 am by Annalog »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: February 23, 2010, 10:28:05 am »
    Some idiot almost hit me at an intersection.  I was already in the center  of the intersection and turning and he came gunning for my passenger door...........  and a cop was standing about 50 yards away with somebody else pulled over.  You would think people would be extra careful.....  but may have been rubbernecking while driving through the intersection.
    I'm glad you are okay and that the idiot missed you Dana.  Maybe it can be your "bump" for the day too "Some idiot ALMOST hit me at in intersection.
    Dana, I agree with crebel. Glad you are OK and that the idiot did not actually thump or bump your car.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #27 on: February 23, 2010, 11:01:15 am »
    Betsy, the folder is documents on K2 and KDX as well. I do backup periodically. ...
    I also always backup before upgrades, re-indexing, and before deliberately deleting any files. It is those accidental deletes that are a problem.  >:(

EDIT: While most of my annotation files are less than 10 KB, I currently have 15 files between 10 and 70 KB. The file for this book is currently at 28 KB. (Yes, I did another backup this morning.  ;)) The largest annotation file I created was 140 KB at which point my K2 was crawling along.

Glad to hear it, shows the benefits of backups!  Didn't think about the slowness of indexing them.  I don't do notes much...but indexing is slow on my K1 as well as I have a huge 16GB SD card and most of my books are on it.

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: February 23, 2010, 11:31:58 am »
    I received an e-mail reply from Amazon Support to my e-mail feedback. Unfortunately the person completely missed the point that I have Annotations Backup disabled.  ::) I sent an e-mail reply back but if that does not work I will phone them.

EDIT: Second reply from Amazon Support recognized the problem.  :D Of course that does not fix anything. Hopefully I will see a change in a future update.
    « Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 01:54:43 pm by Annalog »

Offline Meredith Sinclair

• Deep in the HEART of TEXAS
    • I am a TRUE Texas Girl...Missing My friend Dona...
      • View Profile
      • MySpace
    « Reply #29 on: February 24, 2010, 12:18:33 pm »
    DD woke in the middle of the night soaking wet with sweat... had fever and I stayed home with her... worrying. :(
    The Apprentice Diaries
    Hey, D'Lani Elliott is me!!! I helped Brendan write this book! Yay, Me!!

Offline drenee

• West Virginia
    • Member 527
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: February 24, 2010, 12:32:30 pm »
    Drove to a Pittsburgh mall so I could get tea from Teavana. 
    My "thump" is that I feel like I walked the whole way there and back. 
    I'm so tired I can barely hold my head up to catch up on KB. 
    The tiredness is much more debilitating than I anticipated. 
    "Bump" is I have enough tea to last me till spring. 
    deb
    Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life.

WwF  DRA60
    Miss you, Dona, Jeff and Harvey.

Offline Carol Hanrahan

• So. Cal.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: February 24, 2010, 01:07:26 pm »
    China Doll, my horsie, had a tummy ache this morning.  She didn't want her carrot, then she tried to lie down in her stall.  All these are warning signs that something not good is going on.  Fortunately for me, the vet was making a routine visit to the stables, so he looked at her.  Gave her a tummy full of oil, and shot of pain killer.  I have to go back out in a couple of hours to check on her.  Let's hope her poop is oily and she seems happy.

Carol Hanrahan

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: February 24, 2010, 01:13:29 pm »
    Drove to a Pittsburgh mall so I could get tea from Teavana.  
    My "thump" is that I feel like I walked the whole way there and back.  
    I'm so tired I can barely hold my head up to catch up on KB.  
    The tiredness is much more debilitating than I anticipated.

Sorry to hear that, Deb.  I have a Teavana just four miles from me.   :D

Carol, sounds like fun -- checkin' out horse poop.  But I hope it is oily and she's up and wants her carrot.
    « Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 01:15:44 pm by Sandpiper »

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
    His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

Offline Meredith Sinclair

• Deep in the HEART of TEXAS
    • I am a TRUE Texas Girl...Missing My friend Dona...
      • View Profile
      • MySpace
    « Reply #33 on: February 24, 2010, 02:46:27 pm »
    Meredith, hope DD is getting better this afternoon. It's so hard for these little ones to avoid catching every little thing going around.

Carol, sorry to hear about China Doll. Seeing our usually happy animals sick makes us feel so helpless. Here's hoping she comes around soon.

Deb, "debilitating" is the exact term I used to use to describe how I felt after I had what I called a bad sleep apnea night so I can empathize. My indispensable CPAP has taken care of that...16 more days will do it for you. :)

My thump from last week - we had to take down a 21" diameter Live Oak after the show storm.

Thanks, Cobbie. She is up and about asking for popcorn so she feels better, just not completely back to normal.

Carol, I will say a prayer for China Doll. I hope you get the poop you are looking for.

Deb, make sure you do rest and take things slowly.

Sorry about your tree Cobbie. :(
    The Apprentice Diaries
    Hey, D'Lani Elliott is me!!! I helped Brendan write this book! Yay, Me!!

Offline Dana

• "The mind is a fire to be kindled."~Plutarch
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: February 27, 2010, 08:30:14 am »
    Dana, I agree with crebel. Glad you are OK and that the idiot did not actually thump or bump your car.

Well, with my neck, it doesn't take an actual bump or thump to cause me problems.  In December a deer ran out in front of me and I was in extreme pain and had a loss of motion just from the sudden jerking motion I made as I slammed on the brakes.  I felt a little tinge when I slammed on the brakes during this latest almost collision, but have had ZERO problems for which I am thankful. 

Offline Alle Meine Entchen

• Huntington, WV
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: March 01, 2010, 01:25:15 pm »
    my thump:  Dh left early this morning and will be back Tuesday, if I'm lucky.  The only thing that makes this bareable is a) DH has a job and b ) my parents don't know he's outta town b/c if they did they would be begging me to come and stay w/ them b/c my house is in the "ghetto" and "unsafe" and "don't you worry when DH isn't there?". 

Offline Vegas_Asian

• Sin City
    • I know KungFu and 50 other dangerous words!!!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: March 01, 2010, 05:46:46 pm »
    Woke up with strachy throat....So I stocked the freezer with large smoothies with immune enhancer and echianea (sp?) tea for immune system. I don't think waiting outside Michaels in the rain with a broken umbrella helped this weekend.

Offline drenee

• West Virginia
    • Member 527
      • View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: March 01, 2010, 05:51:08 pm »
    my thump:  Dh left early this morning and will be back Tuesday, if I'm lucky.  The only thing that makes this bareable is a) DH has a job and b ) my parents don't know he's outta town b/c if they did they would be begging me to come and stay w/ them b/c my house is in the "ghetto" and "unsafe" and "don't you worry when DH isn't there?". 
    Are parents wonderful when they're worrying??  LOL.

My thump is the treatments are catching up to me.  Getting overly tired and very itchy and burning. 
    Only 9 treatments left out of 33, so not much longer though.
    deb

WwF  DRA60

Offline Dana

• "The mind is a fire to be kindled."~Plutarch
      • View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: March 04, 2010, 03:39:08 am »
    Woke up to a text from my mother that her dog apparently has lymphoma.  They are gonna do the test again with a better sample...  and she's getting a second opinion.  We all love this little dog...  a boston terrier.  He's feeling fine, but has had swollen lymph nodes for quite a while that aren't responding to other treatment.

• Huntington, WV
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: March 04, 2010, 08:37:59 am »
    my "thump" was scaring the Boss, but in my defense, she had gotten ahold of a poopy diaper before I could throw it away.

Offline Vegas_Asian

• Sin City
    • I know KungFu and 50 other dangerous words!!!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: March 04, 2010, 03:35:27 pm »
    sick (still) went to school, about the reverse park my car into space (car angled and signals on), and someone (<-really want to use another word) coming from behind pulling into space. Had a "WTF" moment in my car before being interupted by a coughing fit.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: March 04, 2010, 03:51:00 pm »
    I'm sorry about the sick dogs and KBers feeling yucky too.  I hope Vegas and Deb feel stronger tomorrow.

Deb, it is great to see your ticker in single digits!

Offline intinst

• Shannon Hills, AR
    • 'just enough clouds to create a beautiful sunset
      • View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: March 05, 2010, 10:59:36 am »
    Went to the orthopedic surgeon yesterday for a check up on my knee. He said that my knees weren't too bad for someone who is 75. It's a shame that i am only 57. Only option is knee replacement when I get tired of the current situation.
    « Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 11:03:54 am by intinst »
    A great many people now reading and writing would be better employed keeping rabbits.  Edith Sitwell 
    Your work is to keep cranking the flywheel that turns the gears that spin the belt in the
    engine of belief that keeps you and your desk in midair. Annie Dillard

Located just outside Little Rock, Arkansas

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: March 05, 2010, 11:06:23 am »
    Went to the orthopedic surgeon yesterday for a check up on my knee. He said that my knees weren't too bad for someone who is 75. It's a shame that i am only 57. Only option is knee replacement when I get tired of the current situation.

I say go for the knee replacement as soon as you can - the difference is amazing and you can be pain free.

Offline drenee

• West Virginia
    • Member 527
      • View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: March 05, 2010, 11:09:15 am »
    intinst, so sorry to hear the not so good news.
    deb

WwF  DRA60

• Huntington, WV
      • View Profile
    « Reply #45 on: March 09, 2010, 06:36:25 am »
    my thump (and it's only 9:30am) was having to clean up my breakfast after the Boss "helped" me eat it.  @ least our new dog, Duke, enjoyed eating Cheerios and bannanas.  Having to keep my 10 month old away from the heater (where breakfast naturally landed) while I cleaned up was not so much fun

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: March 10, 2010, 08:29:03 am »
    I just had to take my 11+ year old cat to have her put down.  Late last night she lost control of her back legs so I knew the end was near.  The diagnosis was blood clots cutting off all circulation to the lower body.  No treatment available.

I was allowed to enjoy her for over 9 years.  She gained the name Scooter because she would scoot herself along the floor when playing with toys instead of running and pouncing.

I will miss her, but am thankful for the time she was in our lives.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: March 10, 2010, 09:32:51 am »
    Loonlover, extra hugs for you today.  Losing a pet is so hard.  I'm sorry.

Chris

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: March 10, 2010, 10:20:13 am »
    Loonlover, hugs from me as well. It is not easy to have a loved pet put down but it is sometimes the very best we can do for them.

Offline NogDog

• View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: March 10, 2010, 12:12:48 pm »
    Nothing too drastic: just a totally stuffed up head. Not sure if it's allergies or a cold. I think I'm going to make up some burrito stuff with extra chilies to see if I can clear it up by brute force. :)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement