Kindle Forum banner

Interns to Translate?

747 views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  J Bridger 
#1 ·
Has anyone offered internship credit to colleges/students to translate works into other languages? Just a thought.

#4 ·
isaacsweeney said:
Good point. Wouldn't an intern be supervised anyway, and checked by their department or whatever for accuracy so the student can get credit? Not sure.

Does anyone do translations at all?
The way interns work is that you, as the business, would supervise them, which means you'd need to know if they're being successful in translating as you desire. The school/institution would be responsible just to make sure that you're legit, are actually providing some type of education, and know what you're actually doing.

#5 ·
I have a degree in French and Spanish and have studied translation fairly extensively. I also have friends who are translators. I can tell you this: it's a huge job and I never offer to translate anything unless it's only about a paragraph long. For a supervisor to keep tabs would also be a massive job for them. Even if the translation were grammatically correct, having it be stylistically (as mentioned above) desirable is a whole other matter. You need someone whose specialty is literature.

Having spoken French all my life I would still not do someone the injustice of translating his or her novel into it. That would simply be cruel.  ;D

#7 ·
Just to point out: Even though many businesses do this, it is illegal to have somebody do work for you that benefits you and not pay them. The only kind of internship that is allowed is the "shadowing" kind where the employer receives no benefit from the intern's work. College credit does not change this. I researched this pretty extensively in my pre-writing (corporate) life.

#8 ·
BTW, anyone interested in learning Spanish, English, French, German, Portuguese, or Italian... for free?

http://www.duolingo.com/

I have no affiliation with Duolingo whatsoever. I believe they're from the same people who brought you Captcha. BTW, I only recently learned that Captcha isn't just a human recognition security measure, it is actually a project that uses humans to translate digitized words from old books and newspapers that computers were unable to read. Very clever. The computer couldn't read this, so let's show it to humans. We'll verify that they're human, and we'll get the digitized words translated for us. When enough people agree on what the messy word says, we'll declare it successfully translated.

I also found out that 200 million Captchas are entered every day.

#10 ·
I was a translator for 15 years, many of them at senior level, and I spent quite a bit of time mentoring translation students. Believe me when I say you don't want to let a raw student loose on your baby. In fact, I would go so far as to advise you not to let 90% of professional translators loose on your baby either. It's a profession that attracts a lot of poor-quality practitioners.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.