Author Topic: Another reason I like my Kindle/ereaders...  (Read 477 times)  

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Terra firma
    • View Profile
Another reason I like my Kindle/ereaders...
« on: January 12, 2014, 07:35:35 pm »
I was reading The French Powder Mystery by Ellery Queen today. I'm re-reading the Queen Corpus more or less in order, and this is the second of the series. I got halfway through it and hit a sentence that just didn't make any sense. I read through it five or six times, and it still didn't make any sense. I was sure I had this in paperback format from many years ago, so I unearthed it from Box #54 (of 97) of my stored books. The paperback book was a 1959 reprint of a 1930 book, and the pages were turning very brown. It took about two or three minutes until I started wheezing because of the paper dust. I quickly found the problem and repacked the book and took some medication. After a while the wheezing went away.

I don't miss older printed books at all.  ;D

BTW, I discovered the problem was that the conversion process had thrown away the end half of one sentence and the beginning half of the next sentence and concatenated them. No sense at all. This publisher is having an increasing number of typos in their ebooks as time goes on. A shame, they started off better than average.

Mike

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Silly Writer

• View Profile
    Re: Another reason I like my Kindle/ereaders...
    « Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 07:40:58 pm »
    I love love love print books. But now that I'm writing, I find my wrists are too tired to hold open a print book at the end of the day (my reading time). I know that sounds lame, but it's true. I have jury duty tomorrow, and I had to really dig for something to take along to read... Something not too fat. They do not allow any electronic devices there   :o

KBoards.com

• Advertisement