Author Topic: Outlander - Starz - Season 3 September 10th  (Read 86365 times)  

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
Re: Outlander - Starz - August 9th
« Reply #175 on: September 20, 2014, 08:52:55 am »
Ok, I just have to ask. What is this Moby you guys keep talking about. I must have missed something.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline readingril

• View Profile
    « Reply #176 on: September 20, 2014, 08:56:22 am »
    MOBY = Written in My Own Heart's Blood :D

From Diana's site:

My Own Hearts Blood = MOHB = MOH-B = Moby.
    http://www.dianagabaldon.com/books/outlander-series/written_in_my_own_hearts_blood/

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #177 on: September 20, 2014, 09:04:47 am »
    Duh, thanks.  ;D

I kept looking at the titles and none of the books matched the letters.

I have only read up to #4 so far. I am kind of dreading reading #5. I think what I'll do is get the Kindle Voyage when its for sale and then the first book I'll read on it will be #5.

As much as I am looking forward to tonights episode, I also cringe a bit as I watch the show with my husband and this will be the first episode where I worry a bit watching it with him. You know, lovey dovey cooties and all that.  :P

Offline readingril

• View Profile
    « Reply #178 on: September 20, 2014, 09:11:13 am »
    It took me a couple of tries to get MOBY out of that - but it's like any other acronym, once you realize what it means, it's just a shortened placeholder of sorts.

I tend to remove most books from my Kiindle after I read them but all of the Outlander series are still on there. 

No one's watching Outlander with me, but the two young adults in the house are appreciating all the movies... we've never subscribed to a premium channel before.

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #179 on: September 20, 2014, 09:17:22 am »
    No one's watching Outlander with me, but the two young adults in the house are appreciating all the movies... we've never subscribed to a premium channel before.
    Last December, for Christmas (combined with B'day) I had my family (1) let me upgrade our cable package to include the premium channels and (2) get a TiVo - all just for this series! No one else watches with me either, but the other household members are also really enjoying the other programs that "I've" made available.  8)

BTW, I love my TiVo - especially since Comcast/Xfinity recently made all of its on-demand content available. So, although I am recording all of Outlander, I could still watch it through the TiVo/Comcast alliance even if I hadn't recorded it.
    Still plan to order the DVDs as soon as they are available  :D
    Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Offline readingril

• View Profile
    « Reply #180 on: September 20, 2014, 09:23:11 am »
    Totally relate to that CegAbq!

Although I can watch these previous episodes at any time I've also recorded the series on the DVR. And yeah... I'll get those pretties as soon as they are released on DVD!

And I thank y'all for this discussion here... it's become my most favorite thread of the entire board!

Getting off my 'duff' to do something around this mess o' a house!

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #181 on: September 20, 2014, 09:24:30 am »
    And I thank y'all for this discussion here... it's become my most favorite thread of the entire board!

Getting off my 'duff' to do something around this mess o' a house!
    Ditto!
    Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #182 on: September 20, 2014, 10:23:59 am »
    ~28% or Loc 4344 on my Kindle (that's when Dougal mentions she needs to marry).

Now you have me wanting to find the conversation between Lord John & Jamie about your spoiler above in MOBY! I don't think that'll be as easy to find. BUT, I did find the reference in Drums of Autumn!

I'm loving her blog!

Thanks. I'll be able to find it now.

The conversation between John and Jamie is in Chapter 89 of MOBY. That's what's showing on my phone. I used to listen on an MP3 player, but the battery won't stay charged anymore. Besides, the phone has a bigger screen so I can see where I'm at in the book.

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #183 on: September 20, 2014, 10:29:21 am »
    Speaking of falling in love & weddings ... Terry Dresbach's telling of meeting & connecting with Ron is so sweet!
    {and I finally learned how to embed the URL in overlying text!  ;D}

Congrats on your new skill!

Okay, that's the most romantic thing I've ever read. No wonder Ron was the right person to write the adaptation. Excuse me, I need a Kleenex now.

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #184 on: September 20, 2014, 12:32:25 pm »
    Another great rumination on THE WEDDING (WITH SPOILERS):
    Setting the Stage for a Very Special Wedding
    Carol in 'burque

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #185 on: September 20, 2014, 05:43:49 pm »
    I thought the series was doing 8 episodes now & then 8 episodes for the second half sometime in early 2015. But checking http://followshows.com, they are showing episodes all the way through to Episode 16 scheduled for November 16.
    Do they just have it wrong? They usually have been correct for all the other shows that I track through them as to when a break is being taken in the series.
    Carol in 'burque

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #186 on: September 20, 2014, 06:14:33 pm »
    I thought the series was doing 8 episodes now & then 8 episodes for the second half sometime in early 2015. But checking http://followshows.com, they are showing episodes all the way through to Episode 16 scheduled for November 16.
    Do they just have it wrong? They usually have been correct for all the other shows that I track through them as to when a break is being taken in the series.

I checked the schedule on Starz and it's not scheduled for 10/4. It could be Starz is going to repeat the eight episodes during the hiatus.

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #187 on: September 20, 2014, 11:24:00 pm »
    Episode 7 - The Wedding ... WOW-WOW-WOW ... not what I was expecting ... but it worked WONDERFULLY
    « Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 11:27:41 pm by CegAbq »
    Carol in 'burque

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #188 on: September 21, 2014, 04:12:32 am »
    Episode 7 - The Wedding ... WOW-WOW-WOW ... not what I was expecting ... but it worked WONDERFULLY

And I probably can't see it until tomorrow. Poo.

Offline jcthatsme

• Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #189 on: September 21, 2014, 04:33:06 am »

LOVED it!

Offline readingril

• View Profile
    « Reply #190 on: September 21, 2014, 05:11:06 am »
    LOVED it!

Very well done! Course I had to watch it again right away. :)

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #191 on: September 21, 2014, 05:21:26 am »
    Wait a minute. I don't have to wait until tomorrow. I have a key to DD's house and she recorded it for me last night. Hah!

Offline Susan J

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #192 on: September 21, 2014, 06:33:09 am »

I'm reading the Lord John books for the first time in random order as I get them from Overdrive. Enjoyed The Scottish Prisoner (loved the Jamie and young Willie bits), Private Matter was ok, but I really couldn't get into the three short stories in The Hand of the Devils. Only Brotherhood of the Blade left to read!

I used Overdrive too to read the Lord John books.  I'm just finishing the audio of Voyager and will listen to The Scottish Prisoner next.  It will be interesting to hear how that narration compares to Davina Porter. 

I think, if I remember correctly, Brotherhood of the Blade is where we meet Percival Wainwright.

And I also believe there's a mistake in MOBY.
    If I hadn't already met Percy in Brotherhood of the Blade, the character would have rolled right past me in the big books.  The Lord John books did help to give more depth not only to Lord John but also to Hal. 

I agree that mistakes can be jarring when we know (having just reread the series   :D  ) the exact timeline.
    However, as someone of a certain age, I know that I have a hard time trying to differentiate what happened to my sons at what ages.   It's seems even more common for fathers to mix up ages and dates so I'll excuse it as a reasonable confusion on Jamie's part.   ;)

Oh no, just one more episode until the loooonnnnnngg break.   :(

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #193 on: September 21, 2014, 11:13:47 am »
    Later on in MOBY, Ian reminds William about his falling into the privy in North Carolina. So, that part was corrected in a later chapter. I can't imagine that Jamie would have forgotten his last meeting with his son.

Offline readingril

• View Profile
    « Reply #194 on: September 21, 2014, 11:31:29 am »
    Spoilery stuff I guess on the Hal / Jamie convo in MOBY...

I found that passage in MOBY yesterday... it was Hal that made the comment to Jamie (John & Claire were there too).  Hal replied after Jamie reflected on William's character. Jamie did not  affirm or deny when he last saw William, but instead of his nature as a child, and gave John a (backhanded?) compliment on how he was raised. Just my opinion. :)

"And I do, of course, wish to retrieve my nephew, William--should he in fact be with Richardson. My brother informs me that you have doubts as to the probability of this being the case?"

"I do," Jamie said shortly. "My son is not a fool, nor a weakling."

I caught the faint emphasis on "my son," and so did both Greys, who stiffened slightly.

"He wouldna go off on some feeble pretext, nor would he allow someone of whom he was suspicious to take him captive."

"You have a bloody lot of faith in a boy you haven't seen since he was six," Hal observed conversationally.

Jamie smiled, with considerable rue. "I had the making of him until he was six," he said, and turned his gaze on John. "I ken what he's made of. And I ken who shaped him after that. Tell me I'm wrong, my lord."

Offline readingril

• View Profile
    « Reply #195 on: September 21, 2014, 11:33:57 am »
    Later on in MOBY, Ian reminds William about his falling into the privy in North Carolina. So, that part was corrected in a later chapter. I can't imagine that Jamie would have forgotten his last meeting with his son.

When I was researching yesterday I had to go back to reread this chapter. That whole chapter is hysterical!

Offline Susan J

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #196 on: September 21, 2014, 11:36:56 am »

I don't think Jamie would have forgotten the incident but he could easily have forgotten William's age at the time. 

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #197 on: September 21, 2014, 12:36:53 pm »
    I don't think Jamie would have forgotten the incident but he could easily have forgotten William's age at the time.

There's a big difference between six and eleven, which is the age William was at that time, I believe. Anyway, it's a minor point. I just get hung up on these little things which makes it all the more odd that I'm not hung up on any of the differences between the book and the movies. Except Jamie singing along with the gang as they were riding together.

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
      • View Profile
      • Bayou Cover Designs
    « Reply #198 on: September 21, 2014, 04:23:05 pm »
    Very well done! Course I had to watch it again right away. :)

I loved it too! Watched it 3 times... So far!  ;)  I was a bit disappointed when it began, thought we missed out on the ceremony. I loved the way they ended up showing the whole event through flashbacks of both Claire & Jamie's POV.  :)

Christine | Member since 10/13/2009 | 2019 Reading Challenge | Bayou Cover Designs | Bayou Cover Designs on the KBoards Yellow Pages
    A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.  ― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

Offline jcthatsme

• Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #199 on: September 21, 2014, 05:13:01 pm »

I loved it too! Watched it 3 times... So far!  ;)  I was a bit disappointed when it began, thought we missed out on the ceremony. I loved the way they ended up showing the whole event through flashbacks of both Claire & Jamie's POV.  :)

I thought that too. For the pace they've gone through everything else I was like, woah, they kinda sped through that. But I liked the way they did it in the end.

I haven't had a chance to watch it again yet
    :(

KBoards.com

• Advertisement