Author Topic: Outlander - Starz - Season 3 September 10th  (Read 86356 times)  

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
Re: Outlander - Starz - August 9th
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2014, 06:30:17 am »
did you hear Starz will air the first episode online August 2nd for free, hoping to build buzz for more people to tune in on august 9? 
http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/07/11/outlander-to-premiere-online-early/

What's with this hiatus thing? Gack.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: July 14, 2014, 06:42:01 am »
    What's with this hiatus thing? Gack.
    No kidding. Why would they do that. Many shows have been ruined this way. Meaning that viewers just didn't come back after such a long pause during a season. From September to early 2015? That could be what, 5 months if its in February, even longer if its later? Yikes. I can't wait that long though to watch the first 8 episodes though.

As to the first being online sooner? Only way I would watch that if its somewhere on Roku. I will not watch something I waited for this long on a small computer screen. So I guess I'll wait for the proper premiere.

I just hope people tune in and it can be a longer running series. But I really worry about the long hiatus. I get the wait when the season is over like any other show, but not in the middle of the season.

Offline Lisa Scott

• Western New York
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: July 14, 2014, 07:31:18 am »
    I agree, haitus is a bad move--and maddening!  I read somewhere episode 7 is the wedding, so I bet episode 8 ends with her trying to escape while they're out collecting rent, and getting caught by Jack Randall's men... Just a guess, but it would be a proper cliffhanger.

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: July 14, 2014, 07:48:15 am »
    I agree, haitus is a bad move--and maddening!  I read somewhere episode 7 is the wedding, so I bet episode 8 ends with her trying to escape while they're out collecting rent, and getting caught by Jack Randall's men... Just a guess, but it would be a proper cliffhanger.

Ooh, just reading that makes me want to watch it NOW with no breaks. Although I'm not sure my daughter wants me in her den for 16 weeks straight, laughing and crying and talking along with the dialogue.

Offline Harriet Schultz

• U.S.
      • View Profile
      • Harriet Schultz books
    « Reply #29 on: July 14, 2014, 07:49:05 am »

I don't like the idea of a hiatus either, but perhaps they're following the Downton Abbey model which makes us wait a full year for what---six episodes?? The flip side is that Outlander seems to have the production values of a movie and they may not have all 16 episodes ready to air. I prefer them to do it right instead of rushing it even if I end up frustrated when episode 8 ends!

Harriet Schultz

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: July 14, 2014, 07:53:48 am »
    I don't like the idea of a hiatus either, but perhaps they're following the Downton Abbey model which makes us wait a full year for what---six episodes?? The flip side is that Outlander seems to have the production values of a movie and they may not have all 16 episodes ready to air. I prefer them to do it right instead of rushing it even if I end up frustrated when episode 8 ends!

Okay, make me look on the bright side.

And now I remember that the book was so intense in places when I first read it that I had to put it down several times. Maybe I'll appreciate the breather.

Offline Harriet Schultz

• U.S.
      • View Profile
      • Harriet Schultz books
    « Reply #31 on: July 14, 2014, 10:56:36 am »
    Okay, make me look on the bright side.

And now I remember that the book was so intense in places when I first read it that I had to put it down several times. Maybe I'll appreciate the breather.

Ah, me the optimist, except when it comes to a slowdown in the sales of my books! That's when gloom and doom emerges.

One more reality check -- think of how long Diana makes us wait between books. Years! So a six (?) month wait for another 8 episodes is bearable. On a side note, I watched a terrible Hallmark movie last night that starred a very young Sam Heughan as a prince. He was charming even then.

Harriet Schultz

Offline Tripp

• Kent, Washington
      • View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #32 on: July 14, 2014, 11:53:40 am »

As to the first being online sooner? Only way I would watch that if its somewhere on Roku. I will not watch something I waited for this long on a small computer screen. So I guess I'll wait for the proper premiere.

I went to the Starz website to see the details of this.  I read the following:

"Approximately 82 million multichannel video households will have access to the premiere episode via additional linear, on-demand and/or online sampling opportunities on select cable, satellite and telco affiliates in the United States as well as online through select websites including Starz.com/Outlander"

Attunah, I can't remember, are you in the US and do you have any cable on demand system that allows you to see this on your network?  If so, you may be able to see it without having to go on-line.

(Make your own reading bar)

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.
    -C. S. Lewis

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: July 14, 2014, 11:55:16 am »
    Ah, me the optimist, except when it comes to a slowdown in the sales of my books! That's when gloom and doom emerges.

One more reality check -- think of how long Diana makes us wait between books. Years! So a six (?) month wait for another 8 episodes is bearable. On a side note, I watched a terrible Hallmark movie last night that starred a very young Sam Heughan as a prince. He was charming even then.

I think he's going to be great. It's hard to believe after waiting so long and despairing of every getting a decent Jamie, that we've actually got one.

I went to the Starz website to see the details of this.  I read the following:

"Approximately 82 million multichannel video households will have access to the premiere episode via additional linear, on-demand and/or online sampling opportunities on select cable, satellite and telco affiliates in the United States as well as online through select websites including Starz.com/Outlander"

Attunah, I can't remember, are you in the US and do you have any cable on demand system that allows you to see this on your network?  If so, you may be able to see it without having to go on-line.

Looks like we can watch it on the Starz website.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: July 14, 2014, 12:24:58 pm »
    I have on demand, although I never used it. I am in the US and have ATT Uverse.

Unless its watchable in HD quality on TV, I won't watch it early. Plus, if I were to watch it earlier, don't I then have to wait an extra week for the 2nd episode?  :P

I predict I'll be doing a lot of whining come September for the hiatus. I am already whining now.  ;D

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: July 18, 2014, 04:50:24 pm »

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: July 18, 2014, 06:02:20 pm »
    Well, I wasn't really a big fan of book Claire anyway so I think I might be ok.  :P

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: July 18, 2014, 06:06:05 pm »
    Well, I wasn't really a big fan of book Claire anyway so I think I might be ok.  :P

A lot of people feel that way. Claire is a smart-mouth and very single-minded. Balfe seems to play her for melodrama. Could ruin the whole thing for me.

Offline Harriet Schultz

• U.S.
      • View Profile
      • Harriet Schultz books
    « Reply #38 on: July 28, 2014, 12:12:16 pm »
    Oh, my. This is the newest clip, a scene with Jamie and Claire on the way to Castle Leoch.

http://www.people.com/article/outlander-clip-sam-heughan-caitriona-balfe

Harriet Schultz

Offline Cherise

• View Profile
      • dogaliens.com
    « Reply #39 on: July 28, 2014, 12:36:49 pm »
    I wonder if Amazon Prime Video Streaming will have it on Roku? I don't get Starz, either. Just emailed my mom the first pic in this thread and asked her if she gets Starz. :) And posted on Facebook, LOL! LOVE the pic of all the highlanders holding their non-period coffees. It's so funny!

How exciting!

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: July 29, 2014, 07:25:48 am »
    Here's the opening credits. Darn, the music is giving me goosebumps already.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/07/26/outlander-opening-credits/

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: July 29, 2014, 07:40:04 am »
    Watched/listened to it 3 times. Also played the trailer below again.  ;D

I am curious how the show will do on a Saturday. I can't think of any other show I watch that is on on Saturday, not that I can recall.

Offline Harriet Schultz

• U.S.
      • View Profile
      • Harriet Schultz books
    « Reply #42 on: July 30, 2014, 04:37:59 pm »
    Diana, Sam and Catriona sat for a 7 minute interview with CBS. They were all charming, smart and fun to watch.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/cbs_this_morning/video/kVsXSFJA6GYPGY9Bjs84bt_ZTkUj1oOb/-outlander-author-and-actors-on-transition-from-books-to-tv-series/

Harriet Schultz

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: July 30, 2014, 04:54:11 pm »
    I never seen the Diana before so it was nice to hear and see her. I rarely seek out authors like that beyond their author pic.  8)

I never watch this show, but that woman on the right, I had to groan when she asked that question that just had to come. Groan. There are a lot of sex scenes in it? For cripes sake. Really? That is the question you are going to ask? Thankfully it was answered well and short and the rest was nice. Sam looks so young in real life, they did a good job with the TV makeup and such to make him look more gruff and having a rough life. He has an almost bubi face in reality.  ;D.

Yes charming is a good word to describe them in that interview. That smile on Sam's face when he got all the compliments  ;D. He was positively beaming.

Offline Harriet Schultz

• U.S.
      • View Profile
      • Harriet Schultz books
    « Reply #44 on: July 30, 2014, 07:28:18 pm »

I never watch this show, but that woman on the right, I had to groan when she asked that question that just had to come. Groan. There are a lot of sex scenes in it? For cripes sake. Really? That is the question you are going to ask? Thankfully it was answered well and short and the rest was nice.

Also stupid, the question about whether Sam/Jamie wears a kilt like a "real" Scotsman. Diana handled the sex question really well ending any equally silly follow-ups.

Harriet Schultz

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #45 on: August 02, 2014, 11:29:22 am »
    Just got off the phone with DD. She has On Demand and watched it.

She said Sam was very good as Jaime and the scene where he's watching Claire through the window of the B&B was perfect.

I'll put everything else in spoilers, but I will say she gave it a 6/10 because the first half was kind of boring. But then I've always told people to get past the opening to where Claire goes through because that's when it gets good.

I give you the worst first. Balfe narrates and she even narrates through the sex scenes. Eeuuwww. Balfe is just not the tough, smart Claire that we know (and some of us love).

She didn't like the way Menzies played Frank. Very boring. Nor did she like the way he played Randall (should have been more dashing and dangerous) and she does like Menzies as an actor. Too bad Jason Isaacs was too old for the role.

With 16 weeks to do one whole book, they could have handled little details better. For example, when they are at Rev. Wakefield's (she did like Wakefield), Claire doesn't meet little Roger.

She also felt Claire going through the stones was badly done. Could have been very dramatic, but she touches the stone (not split) and just fades to black. Next thing you know, she's in the 18th century. No buzzing of the stones and no shrieking as she passed through.

Overall, she just didn't like Balfe. There's one scene in one of the trailers where Claire is telling Jamie how she came through the stones. Balfe very much reminded me of Elaine May in A New Leaf with how she holds her mouth and looks up under her bangs. Bad image.

I'm sure I won't be bothered by little details and even by Frank/Randall not being how I think they should be. But I'm very much afraid Balfe is going to ruin it for me.

I'll try to watch it tonight online.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: August 02, 2014, 11:36:35 am »
    It seems to be on my Uverse On Demand. Its featured actually. I'll ask hubby if he wants to watch it with me tonight, if not I'll wait for sometimes this week and watch it by myself. He owes me. Last few weekends he picked the most horrible movies that one can find. I swear, if there is a bad b-movie, bad indy movie to be found, he'll hone right in on that and it leaves us both unsatisfied and bewildered each time.  :-\

So I'll make him.  ;D

Offline Tripp

• Kent, Washington
      • View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #47 on: August 02, 2014, 04:06:21 pm »
    My hubby works on Saturdays.  I was watching the On Demand trailers and thinking of when would be a good time to watch it when DH came up and said that he wanted to watch it with me.  So, I have to wait.  But if he likes it, it will be nice to cozy up together and share this. :)

(Make your own reading bar)

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.
    -C. S. Lewis

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: August 02, 2014, 04:40:33 pm »
    Just finished watching it and I feel much better now. I was afraid of the way Balfe was going to play Claire. Fears unfounded. Sam Heughan is Jamie. They couldn't have cast Jamie better and Sam does a fine job with just that thread of humor underneath.

DD was right. The first part was boring. It was like bits and pieces and not really cohesive, but that could be because I know the book so well. The scene where Claire went through was fine and everything after that was great.

If you're squeamish, skip the part in the army hospital during WW II. Very graphic.

Can't wait until you guys watch it. I'll probably watch it from when Claire went through the stones again. And maybe another time after that.

Tulach Ard!!!!

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: August 02, 2014, 07:30:23 pm »
    Just finished watching. Loved it. Squeeeeee

I will watch it again, the scenery is just beyond awesome. It all feels so real, they did a really great job filming this. And I to was a bit worried about the Claire actress, but I am not anymore. It all fell into place for me as soon as the show started. The scenery, characters, sounds, everything. It just all clicked for me.

Great thing about being able to watch early on demand, no waiting. Bad thing about watching early, now having to wait 2 weeks for another episode.  :'(

I am just so very happy right now.  ;D

We need a dancing banana emoticon.

With bagpipes.  8)
    « Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 07:32:37 pm by Atunah »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement