Author Topic: Outlander - Starz - Season 3 September 10th  (Read 86357 times)  

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
Re: Outlander - Starz - August 9th
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2014, 10:27:43 am »
Yeah, will be interesting to see how they handle the sequence. I know they said they want to stay pretty true to the books. Its a different medium though so some stuff might have to be shuffled.

I am just so giddy and exited though.  ;D

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Lisa Scott

• Western New York
      • View Profile
    « Reply #76 on: August 15, 2014, 11:02:50 am »
    I loved book 1, but book 2 and 3 are great as well.  I really liked 4, 5 and 6, but 7 and 8 were just good.  IMHO

Offline Cuechick

• Los Angeles
      • View Profile
      • etsy shop
    « Reply #77 on: August 15, 2014, 02:42:57 pm »
    I saw somewhere that it's the highest rated series debut in Starz history! :)
    Find Fab Vintage in my Etsy Shop: Fresh Pie!

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #78 on: August 15, 2014, 02:44:40 pm »
    I saw somewhere that it's the highest rated series debut in Starz history! :)

Definitely not surprising.  :D

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #79 on: August 15, 2014, 03:48:01 pm »
    Been trying to post this and getting issues with KB.

Here are some numbers on the viewing

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/outlander-sets-starz-ratings-record-for-multi-platform-viewing-1201280319/

That is really impressive.

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #80 on: August 15, 2014, 05:48:01 pm »
    Been trying to post this and getting issues with KB.

Here are some numbers on the viewing

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/outlander-sets-starz-ratings-record-for-multi-platform-viewing-1201280319/

That is really impressive.

Definitely.

I had to laugh at one of the articles linked entitled

"Starzs Outlander Woos Women with Strong Female Protagonist"

Hah! I think that should be "with perfectly cast Jamie."

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #81 on: August 15, 2014, 05:58:46 pm »
    Yeah, perfectly cast indeed. I had to rewatch it again and I always get a kick out when she fixes his arm and she say she is a nurse and he does this really cute look at her books and says aye. That look is just hilarious. And her saying "not a wetnurse".  ;D

I also get a kick out of how he just throws her off the horse to go fight. Its like, off you go, ouch.  ;D

I cannot wait for the next episode. Whats even more amazing is that last night I was going through the DVD schedule to make sure I had the season pass set up and my husband asked if we watched this episode yet and that we missed one. Why didn't we watch it. That tells me he really liked the show. He barely remembers what episodes we are on usually with shows, but he was worried we missed one. He saw the repeat of the first on the schedule and didn't realize that we watched a preview and it will be 2 weeks for a new one.

I really wasn't sure how he would like this.

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #82 on: August 15, 2014, 06:05:34 pm »
    That reminds me, I'd better call my daughter to remind her I'll be using her Starz channel tomorrow night.  :D

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #83 on: August 16, 2014, 07:42:37 pm »
    What can I say? Another great episode and another great Jamie performance. I also liked Balfe a lot better.

I liked the way they kept reflecting back to Claire's first visit to Leoch with Frank. Randall was sooo Randall. I thought the bit about allowing Claire to leave with Petrie was unnecessary. I think it would have been better to show Claire beginning to accept her situation as it was in the book. Also would have liked to see Jenny kneeing Randall. <smirk> Didn't like Geillie at all. Could hardly understand a word she said.

I also didn't like the preview showing Mrs. Fitz being the one that accused Claire of being a witch.

Starz has it on every couple of hours and DD is going to DVR it for me so I can watch any time.

Offline Lisa Scott

• Western New York
      • View Profile
    « Reply #84 on: August 16, 2014, 07:52:37 pm »

I also didn't like the preview showing Mrs. Fitz being the one that accused Claire of being a witch.

People chatting on facebook about this speculated that she's imagining what her reaction would be if she told her. In the book, she thinks to herself that people would think her a witch if they knew she was from the future. Let's hope that's where they're going with this because otherwise, that seems to stray too far from the book, me thinks.  They also might have added that sequence because her saying "I seem to have fallen through time" made all those trailers and promos compelling.

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #85 on: August 16, 2014, 08:02:29 pm »

Well, I guess we'll see next week but that's a thought.

Offline prairiesky

• Colorado
      • View Profile
    « Reply #86 on: August 17, 2014, 11:02:16 am »
    Oh, Jamie.   This guy is soooo Jamie!

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #87 on: August 17, 2014, 11:38:58 am »
    Oh, Jamie.   This guy is soooo Jamie!

All these years of worrying about them getting Jamie right and they went ahead and did it. I'm stunned every time I see him on the screen. Either he read the book or DG is giving him very specific direction or maybe both. The beating scene in the Hall was so perfect. Not that I wanted to see Jamie beaten, but might as well get used to it, right?

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #88 on: August 18, 2014, 06:24:50 am »
    Watched the episode last night with my husband. Loved it. His eyes were also glued to the TV the whole time. Lets just say that isn't always the case when its late and we watch TV. More often then not he takes a nap.  ;D

I asked him does he like the show, as suppose to just watching it because I like it and he says he likes it. Reminds him of when we watched Deadwood, which we both loved. What he means by that is the grittyness and the realness of it all and the intensity of the characters.

I am going to watch it again today. There was so much to look at that I have to see it all again. There is such a richness to the set, costume, so many details. Great casting with Colum too. Says so much with just a look.

Can't wait for the next one.

Offline Harriet Schultz

• U.S.
      • View Profile
      • Harriet Schultz books
    « Reply #89 on: August 18, 2014, 05:14:21 pm »
    It's funny how the mental image I had of Jamie throughout the books has morphed into Sam Heughan, especially after episode 2. I can barely remember "my" Jamie now.That says a lot for this (yummy) actor.

Harriet Schultz

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #90 on: August 18, 2014, 06:28:03 pm »
    It's funny how the mental image I had of Jamie throughout the books has morphed into Sam Heughan, especially after episode 2. I can barely remember "my" Jamie now.That says a lot for this (yummy) actor.

Agreed, Ep 2 firmly fixed SH in my mind as Jamie. Too bad they didn't do as well with Claire.

One minor complaint. I wish they'd do subtitles for the Gaeilic.

Offline karendawn

• Texas
    • Reader and Editor of fantasy and dystopian fiction
      • View Profile
      • Karen Robinson Edits
    « Reply #91 on: August 19, 2014, 04:24:10 am »

One minor complaint. I wish they'd do subtitles for the Gaeilic.

I read somewhere that they are not subtitling the Gaelic because this is from Claire's point of view and since she doesn't understand it then having the viewer not understand it makes it more like her experience.

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #92 on: August 19, 2014, 06:22:37 am »
    I read somewhere that they are not subtitling the Gaelic because this is from Claire's point of view and since she doesn't understand it then having the viewer not understand it makes it more like her experience.

I kind of thought that was the case, but I'd still like them to do it.

I was wondering last night if the reason Starz dropped Netflix is because they knew Outlander was coming up. They had to know what a blockbuster it was going to be and how many people would subscribe just to watch it.

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #93 on: August 24, 2014, 04:38:21 pm »
    DD recorded this weeks episode for me so I'll be hustling over there to watch it in about an hour. I'll report back, with spoilers of course.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #94 on: August 24, 2014, 05:01:33 pm »
    I watched it as it was still recording yesterday, which is unusual in our house. We watch everything way time delayed. I just finished Sleepy Hollow and still have 2 Grimm episodes left.  8)

Enjoy the show.  ;D

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #95 on: August 24, 2014, 07:22:10 pm »
    I watched it as it was still recording yesterday, which is unusual in our house. We watch everything way time delayed. I just finished Sleepy Hollow and still have 2 Grimm episodes left.  8)

Enjoy the show.  ;D

Thank you. I did. I thoroughly enjoyed it. To be honest, I'm just in awe of what they have accomplished. They made changes, but still retained the essence of the story.

Offline readingril

• View Profile
    « Reply #96 on: August 25, 2014, 03:28:22 am »
    Ronald Moore has podcasts up for the first two episodes @
    http://www.starz.com/_ajax/originals/outlander/extras/extras

iTunes podcast link

The second is with his wife, the costume designer. Do a rewatch with the volume down low and play along. :-)
    « Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 05:37:54 am by readingril »

Offline Cuechick

• Los Angeles
      • View Profile
      • etsy shop
    « Reply #97 on: August 25, 2014, 11:28:24 am »
    Loving it more each week, almost tempted to wait till all  the episodes are up so I can binge watch it...

If anyone is interested, Sam Heughan (Jamie) is on Instagram! @samheughan   ...Your welcome! :)
    Find Fab Vintage in my Etsy Shop: Fresh Pie!

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #98 on: August 25, 2014, 11:35:55 am »
    I'll admit I have no clue what instagram is. I thought it was a photo site from what I heard, but is it like twitter than because of that "@" thingie? I barely have figured twitter out. I gave up trying to find anything on facebook.  :-\

I watch each episode with my husband who likes the show and then I watch it again during the week alone. I will do the binge during the loooooooooooooong winter wait for the 2nd part of the season.  ;D

Thank you. I did. I thoroughly enjoyed it. To be honest, I'm just in awe of what they have accomplished. They made changes, but still retained the essence of the story.
    That is so true. I think we are lucky that this director is doing it. He gets the "translation" right. Translation of the essence, good word for it, and the feel of the characters and story.

I do wonder about how long it takes to put on Jamie's makeup on the back and how often we even get to see his back side because of that.

I like some more knees though. That is mighty nice.  ;D Squatting while kilted. Does that need practice?  8)

Offline readingril

• View Profile
    « Reply #99 on: August 25, 2014, 12:42:45 pm »

I do wonder about how long it takes to put on Jamie's makeup on the back

Two hours. And depending on what they clothe him in...it starts peeling slightly (thanks to Ronald D. Moore for that bit!)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement