Kindle Forum banner

Outlander - Starz - Season 3 September 10th

102K views 1K replies 35 participants last post by  prairiesky 
#1 ·
#52 ·
I liked Frank and Black Jack. I thought he was well portrayed by the actor. He had the intensity as Black Jack. Wasn't sure in the beginning if he had that when playing Frank.

I am pretty happy with everyone. Claire I was worried, because she can annoy the heck out of me in the books. She is still strong and feisty here, but she doesn't annoy me so I am glad for that.  ;D Of course there is still a lot of time for that to happen.  :p. Its not that I totally hate her or anything, but she would drive me nuts often when reading.

It was a really good spot to end the episode too I thought. I was wondering how it will be paced since it takes a while in the book to get going and to the stones. I figured they had to put the stones and her going through them in the first episode to make it more interesting. That action had to go in.

#53 ·
Atunah said:
It was a really good spot to end the episode too I thought. I was wondering how it will be paced since it takes a while in the book to get going and to the stones. I figured they had to put the stones and her going through them in the first episode to make it more interesting. That action had to go in.
I kept thinking that if they didn't send her through the stones in this episode, people new to Outlander would probably not tune in for the second.

#54 ·
I actually liked the narration. I think Balfe did a good job of that. But I think she needs to learn to say "Jesus H. Roosevelt Christ" with some feeling. She just says it like "Ho-hum, I'll have fries with that." It's Claire's own special curse word and she needs to curse it, not say it.

Balfe is not as good as Claire as Sam is as Jaime, but she does much better than I expected.

I'm not thrilled with some of the other characters (did the director actually read the book?) but I'm just going to ignore it all and enjoy the show.

Harriet Schultz said:
Jamie is perfect :-* I could watch Sam as Jamie for an entire hour and not even care about the story!
And that's exactly why I can ignore everything else.

Atunah said:
I will watch it again, the scenery is just beyond awesome. It all feels so real, they did a really great job filming this. And I to was a bit worried about the Claire actress, but I am not anymore. It all fell into place for me as soon as the show started. The scenery, characters, sounds, everything. It just all clicked for me.

This reason, too.

After waiting many years and then worrying about them getting Jamie right, I can now relax and enjoy the show.

It was interesting that
they didn't have the druid (postmistress in the book) smoking a cigarette when she came back to find her hair clip, but they let Claire as a little girl light one for Uncle Lamb.

My daughter has Starz and I'll go to her house next week to watch it all over again on her big screen TV.

I hope they don't take forever to put out the DVD. I hope Amazon gets it as an instant video so I can watch whenever I want.

#56 ·
I just watched it. Jamie is so handsome! swoon...So yes, casting got it right. Even Claire. Even a few of the other characters. I loved it all. I was waiting for the Jamie's ghost standing outside her window scene. It was great. However, for some reason, I didn't expect the explicit sex scenes in the first show. LOL! The swear...yes, I thought that she would say it with more gusto, even if under her breath. I will have to wait to get the CD's or if amazon has it in order to watch the rest. Oh well! Right now, I am listening to the audible book of Book 8. Love it! 

#57 ·
Toby said:
I just watched it. Jamie is so handsome! swoon...So yes, casting got it right. Even Claire. Even a few of the other characters. I loved it all. I was waiting for the Jamie's ghost standing outside her window scene. It was great. However, for some reason, I didn't expect the explicit sex scenes in the first show. LOL! The swear...yes, I thought that she would say it with more gusto, even if under her breath. I will have to wait to get the CD's or if amazon has it in order to watch the rest. Oh well! Right now, I am listening to the audible book of Book 8. Love it!
I'll be listening to book 8 audio soon.

#59 ·
Toby said:
You will love it! The story picks ups the threads & continues on. This is the first time that I am listening to any audio version of an Outlander book, & it's fantastic! I am a little over 60% through the book now. If there is to be a 9th book, I wonder if it will take a really long time as Diana must be busy with the TV series.
Davina Porter is wonderful, isn't she? She's the narrator that converted me to audio books and I got Outlander as my first free book when I joined Audible.

All I can say is that DG better quit writing those boring Lord John books and concentrate on the next Jamie and Claire. I'm not getting any younger, you know. Come to think of it, neither is she. :D

#60 ·
Well as someone who really did not care for the book, I thought the show was very well done... I like that they cast a not so young women in the lead and both leads look very much like what I pictured... I read the book quite a while ago and remember just bits and pieces... I do remember pretty much hating it and had to push myself to finish. I don't want offend those who love the books here, honestly, I can't remember now what bothered me so much... but I did like the premise quite a bit, for those of you who wonder why I would watch. The promos looked really good and since my expectations via the original source material are not that high, I think they can only improve on it, lol!

#62 ·
I rewatched it by myself today and I am even more happy about it all. They hit the jackpot with the Jamie actor. I mean what else can I say there.  ;D. But also important is the chemistry between the characters and they have it in spades. I also noticed some more subtleties in the Randall actor. They are all really good.

I am also so far happy with Dugall and the others and I am really looking forward to the next episode. I love that they made Scotland a character on this show.

I replayed the song at the beginning a few times, for some reason it makes me tear up every time. Its just so fitting with the images. They just did a fantastic job all around and it can only get better. Oh the fantastic scenes we still have to look forward too, we barely scratched the surface. I am so giddy about it all.  ;D

I already know I will own this series on DVD/streaming. Perfect opportunity for a special feature DVD set with behind the scenes stuff.  I don't own a lot of DVD's, but I will this one. And I say this after just one episode.

#63 ·
Yes, Atunah, it can only get better. And I do hope it comes out on Instant Video soon, very soon after the end of this season.

But there are some scenes I know it will be as hard to watch as they were to read, although I've read them so many times, you'd think they wouldn't bother me anymore. But that's the power of DG's writing. Not so much the scenes but how invested she makes us in the characters.

I'm so looking forward to the wedding.

#64 ·
Yeah, DG puts her characters through the ringer. I am still not sure how some of those very important scenes can possibly be translated into film though. For me there is a big difference between reading and watching. I mean that I can for some reason handle stuff better when reading, its more internal for me. And not everything has the same feelings or essence when its brought to live on film. Not sure if I am saying this right.

But I think I'll trust this team, they did already such a great job that they'll find a way to make it work. Some stuff will have to be a bit different than the books though for film I think. Can still have the same impact, just approached a little different.

#65 ·
Atunah said:
Yeah, DG puts her characters through the ringer. I am still not sure how some of those very important scenes can possibly be translated into film though. For me there is a big difference between reading and watching. I mean that I can for some reason handle stuff better when reading, its more internal for me. And not everything has the same feelings or essence when its brought to live on film. Not sure if I am saying this right.

But I think I'll trust this team, they did already such a great job that they'll find a way to make it work. Some stuff will have to be a bit different than the books though for film I think. Can still have the same impact, just approached a little different.
Guess we have to wait and see and the toughest scenes will be in the second half of the season.

#68 ·
Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake' said:
YMMV as they say, but I'm glad you enjoyed the movie.
Your Milage May Vary....? Ok, don't get that at all but I did go back and read my review on good reads... it was the writing style I didn't like.... I found it repetitive which is a big pet peeve of mine... but I did like the story and characters so it makes sense I would like the show... !

#73 ·
Wohooooooooooooooooo  ;D

Fantastic. I think they'll have to do a season 3 then too. I mean technically I thought Outlander could be a standalone book. If one didn't want to go further, it had some ending at least. But 2 and 3 I had to read one after the other. There was no way to stop. They cannot stop with book 2. Impossible. And I don't see how they could fit both books into one season with 13 episodes.

So I am hopeful we'll get at least 3 for that reason.

#75 ·
Lisa Scott said:
Very true. And no way could they do both books in 1 season. I'm just wondering if they're going to tell the story out of sequence like in book 2, or rearrange things and tell it in sequence.
I don't think it will work in sequence unless they cut out a lot of Roger and Bree.

Atunah said:
Wohooooooooooooooooo ;D

Fantastic. I think they'll have to do a season 3 then too. I mean technically I thought Outlander could be a standalone book. If one didn't want to go further, it had some ending at least. But 2 and 3 I had to read one after the other. There was no way to stop. They cannot stop with book 2. Impossible. And I don't see how they could fit both books into one season with 13 episodes.

So I am hopeful we'll get at least 3 for that reason.
Yes, Outlander could have been a standalone book and I thought it was going to be. It could really have ended with book three as far as I'm concerned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.