Author Topic: OCTO Splash Proof Case for Kindle 2  (Read 4381 times)  

Offline dpinmd

• Baltimore suburbs
    • View Profile
OCTO Splash Proof Case for Kindle 2
« on: January 04, 2010, 06:35:58 am »
Just got this case for my brand-new Kindle 2.  I am going on a cruise later this month, and wanted something to protect my Kindle from sand and water.  This looks like it's going to be just the thing!

Pros:
*Fits my Kindle 2 like a glove.
*Seems like it will provide great protection from sand and spray, although not completely waterproof.  (I wasn't looking for completely waterproof).
*Buttons are clearly marked and easy to use through the case.
*I like the sleek look.
*Power/sleep button is accessible through a little velcro "flap," so I can wake my Kindle without taking it out of the case.
*Screen cover is crystal clear and easy to read through.

Cons:
*Joystick is difficult to use through the case.  It's do-able, but after a bunch of misclicks, I think it's probably easier to just slide it out of the case if/when I need to use the joystick.  (For me, the protection is worth this minor inconvenience.  I plan to get another cover for "every day" use, so I really just wanted something that would allow me to READ at the pool or beach, and this is perfect for that use.)
*No padding to protect screen.  (This isn't really a "con" for me, because I plan to get another cover for everyday use, plus I may also get a Borsa Bella bag or something similar to protect it when in the Octo cover but not in use.  But I've seen this mentioned as a drawback in other reviews, so I thought I'd mention it here.)

Any questions, please ask!  I'm a newbie (to Kindle and to the boards), so I may have missed some important points that people typically cover!

Dawn
Dawn
Currently reading: Shadow of Night, Book Two in the All Souls Trilogy, Deborah Harkness

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Trilby

• Connecticut
    • Christina1960 @ WWF,Emmaline31970 @ We Rule
      • View Profile
    Re: OCTO Splash Proof Case for Kindle 2
    « Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 06:49:17 am »
    That's the case I was thinking of getting, but I was wondering how much protection, in case of a fall, it gave.  Would I have to remove it from the splash proof case and put it back in the sleeve when I'm done?

~Christina~
    I love cozy mysteries!!

Offline dpinmd

• Baltimore suburbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 06:58:46 am »
    It's all neoprine, except for the clear part over the screen.  So if you dropped it and it landed on its back, it would probably be fine, but if the screen hit something, it wouldn't be protected.  I don't (yet) have any other covers or sleeves, so I'm not sure whether you'd have to take it out of the splash proof case before putting it into another cover/sleeve -- I guess it depends how much "wiggle room" the other cover or sleeve has.  If it's already a tight fit, then you'd have to take the splash proof cover off before putting it into the other one.  If there's some extra space, it would probably fit with the splash proof cover on.

My plan is to get some sort of padded cover/bag (like the Borsa Bellas that seem to be so highly rated around here) that will accomodate my K2 with the splash proof cover on.  That's what I'll take with me on the cruise, and I'll keep the K2 (w/splash proof cover) in the bag except when I'm actually reading.  Then for "every day" (around the house) use, I'll probably also get a foldover cover (like M-Edge or similar), which I will use without the splash proof cover.  Make sense?
    Dawn
    Currently reading: Shadow of Night, Book Two in the All Souls Trilogy, Deborah Harkness

Offline cheerio

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 07:46:01 am »
    I think this cover is mainly to prevent direct splash, like maybe a drink spill  from missing ones mouth or something small, as to a fall, probably not the best bet
    "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt

"A successful person is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him or her." David Brinkle

Offline Trilby

• Connecticut
    • Christina1960 @ WWF,Emmaline31970 @ We Rule
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 08:24:24 am »
    I suppose if I had a Borsa Bella bag, and used the splash proof case, it would be fine.  I do want a case like that for when I read at a restaurant as well as the beach. 

~Christina~
    I love cozy mysteries!!

Offline dpinmd

• Baltimore suburbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 08:27:35 am »
    I suppose if I had a Borsa Bella bag, and used the splash proof case, it would be fine.  I do want a case like that for when I read at a restaurant as well as the beach. 

Yes, I was also thinking that it would be good to have if/when I ever put any cookbooks on my K2!
    Dawn

Offline GAIL H

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 05:28:24 pm »
    Just used this for my trip to Aruba. It worked great.....even when a drunk friend decided to splash me from the pool while I was reading :o
    The joy stick is a bit of a problem, but not so much as I didn't really need it while I was reading. I do have a Senyx leather cover that I use all the time. I was able to put the K2 with the splash cover in the leather cover to protect from bumps when not reading and in my beach bag. I sat the bottom corners in the holders and didn't put it in the upper elastic corner holders.

Offline mac7318

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 06:40:17 am »
    Thanks for posting your reviews on this case. I just bought and used it for my vacation in Jamaica, and it worked perfectly for a week poolside. Not a drop of water (or pina colada) would have been able to get in.  True, it doesn't protect your screen if it were to fall, but I just put it inside another fully-protected neoprene case (from ebay)for any transporting around -- it was easily able to fit inside that case with the Octo case on.  I'd agree with everything that's been said: easy to wake up using the velcro flap, joystick can be a little tricky (but the minor annoyance is worth the protection).  The material was nice and light and actually helped me grip it if my hand were wet.  Definite thumbs up on this case.

Offline drenee

• West Virginia
    • Member 527
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 07:25:49 am »
    I got this cover a few weeks ago and I do not like it at all.  It does fit snug, but too snug to slide in and out so I can use the joy stick.  It also tore when I was trying to take it in and out in order to use the joy stick.  I didn't have good luck with it.  I'm glad others did.
    deb
    Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life.

WwF  DRA60
    Miss you, Dona, Jeff and Harvey.

Offline cheerio

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 03:55:48 pm »
    Some people like to put one cover on and never change
    "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt

"A successful person is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him or her." David Brinkle

KBoards.com

• Advertisement