Author Topic: Raising Chickens and Poultry  (Read 90059 times)  

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
  • Goodbye, Mr. Milquetoast
    • View Profile
    • Origami Turtle's photostream
Re: Raising Chickens and Poultry
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2010, 07:17:13 pm »
I cleaned half of the chicken coop-to-be with a bleach and water solution. However it is now raining with 100% chance of rain tomorrow. :(

For those interested, I need to put in a door for the chickens so that it will be a two-door coop. :D (See How to tell you grew up in the suburbs...) However, I do plan on putting in a third door eventually. What will it be then? Still not a sedan. ;D

EDIT: Removed spoiler tag.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 11:23:59 am by Annalog »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Luvmy5brats

• Enabler Extraordinaire
    • Eastern Shore, MD
      • View Profile
    « Reply #101 on: March 06, 2010, 08:09:44 pm »
    Hatchback??  ;D

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #102 on: March 06, 2010, 08:25:26 pm »
    Hatchback??  ;D
    Yes! ;D (The third door won't go in until I want to separate the chickens by breed and have the hens hatch chicks!)

Offline tessa

• long island ny
      • View Profile
    « Reply #103 on: March 07, 2010, 03:58:09 am »

Offline Carol Hanrahan

• So. Cal.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #104 on: March 07, 2010, 11:16:14 am »
    Annalog - I've been wondering about your chicken coop!
    I've been spending an inordinate amount of time over at the bald eagle thread (Kindleboards photo gallery)  I don't know how to do the link.  Been watching the eagle cam.  Has anyone else?
    I really want one of those portable chicken coops!

Carol Hanrahan

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #105 on: March 07, 2010, 04:20:25 pm »
    Carol, those portable chicken coops are very nice, especially for a few hens. Thanks for mentioning the Bald Eagles thread. I had not seen it.

Yesterday the forecast for today was 100% chance of rain. Now it is 90%. We still have not seen rain but the wind has been strong all day.

This morning I started cutting extruded foam insulation for the ceiling of the coop-to-be. This is 2'x8' tongue and groove one inch thick insulation we had left over from a couple years ago due to replacing spun fiberglass insulation under our house that had been ruined by packrats. (The packrats had only gotten to the insulation under half of the house.  ::)) The saw, yardstick, cutting guide, and spring clamps shown are the same ones we used back then. ;D Due to the wind in the morning, I worked in the area between the two sheds.  :D The first picture shows just after cutting a 14.5" section; the second picture shows just before cutting the last 14.5" section from what was an 8 foot long panel. Of course I moved the yardstick out of the way and the insulation over so that I did not try to saw through the stick or the cement blocks.  ;D

The pieces of insulation fit between the 2x4 roof joists flush with the bottom edge and with an air space between the insulation and the roof. The tongue on one piece fits into the groove in the adjacent piece. (I will be glad when DH moves those lights out of the shed.  :D)

The turbine fan cannot be covered so I left that area open.

While I was working on insulation (and taking pictures  ;)), DH started digging the trench to carry electricity to the coop-to-be. While the coop and larger shed will eventually use solar power for most purposes, the chick brooder and power tools in the larger shed will need more power. DH is digging the trench at an angle to avoid disturbing the anthill that helps keep the horned lizards fed.  ;D

DH said, "My dad said I could not dig a straight trench. He is right but I can straighten a trench after I dig it." DH can also dig a straight trench when there is a guide line (or pavers) marking one edge.  ;D This trench eventually needs to be 18 inches deep so it needs to be another 6 inches deeper. DH did not disturb either of the two water lines that cross the trench.  :D

The wind speed increased so that I could not cut the insulation outside. Since the clouds started moving in, we stopped for lunch. I downloaded the pictures from my camera, reduced their size, and uploaded them to my Facebook page. However, while it was still very windy, it did not start raining. I moved my insulation cutting to inside the coop-to-be and finished over half of the ceiling. It is already much warmer inside the coop.  :D

Next weekend we put in the flooring. I saw that the plastic wading pools are now available. As soon as we find someone we can borrow a truck from, we will bring one home to form the base of the chick brooder. This week I will get the two heat lamps and some other materials. If all goes well, I will be ordering chicks in the next two weeks.  ;D

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #106 on: March 28, 2010, 12:47:21 pm »
    Lots of delays, mostly for good reasons (visiting granddaughters) but one not so good reason.

I have the heat lamps and the plastic wading pool but the flooring did not yet go in. The trench is just over 1/2 finished, i.e. it is 18 inches deep for 1/3 of the length but not quite that deep for the other 2/3. DH was working on the electrical boxes when his electric screwdriver went into the index finger of his left hand. After cleaning and bandaging his finger I went outside to put away tools and lock up. When I came back in DH agreed that we should drive to urgent care as neither of us liked look of his finger and the injury was at the first joint. We saw the nurse about an hour later. She asked DH questions and started his finger soaking in bowl of something red. During the doctor exam we were happy to learn that all DH needed was antibiotics (he had a tetanus shot about 4 years ago) and prescription strength ibuprofen. Also, DH did not appear to have damaged the nerve along the outside of the finger as the feeling was coming back. We were both glad that we had taken the granddaughters back to their mom (our daughter) before DH's minor injury!

The ordering of chicks will have to be in April.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #107 on: March 28, 2010, 01:02:44 pm »
    Oh, my, it makes me cringe reading about it (similar to people sewing their fingers with the sewing machine).  Did he need stitches?  How's he doing today?

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #108 on: March 28, 2010, 01:34:27 pm »
    He is feeling better today. No stitches but the wound opened and bled when he took off the bandage after his shower. I added more of the antibiotic ointment along with a new bandage. He is doing fine now. (He is napping in his recliner.  ;D)

Following spoiler to prevent more cringing. It is also off topic.  ;)
    When I was 14 or 15 I put a sewing machine needle through the middle finger of my left hand. The needle went through the nail, missed the bone, and came out the other side and hit the plate of the sewing machine since my hand was moving the fabric. It took a few seconds for me to figure out why the machine had stopped sewing.  :o I was also surprised that my finger did not hurt. I backed the needle out of my finger and it still did not hurt and it was not bleeding. Then I shook my hand, blood started flowing, and my finger hurt!  ::) That turned out OK as well.  :D

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #109 on: March 28, 2010, 01:39:14 pm »
    I was just telling someone yesterday that quilters occasionally sew through their fingers!  Glad yours turned out ok!  And that your husband is doing well.

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #110 on: March 28, 2010, 06:22:53 pm »
    I was sewing a patch (actually two -- a dragon combined with a flame) on a pair of jeans when I sewed through my finger.

DH felt so much better after his nap that we put the pegboard up over the ceiling insulation. As soon as we get electricity out to the shed/coop-to-be I am ordering the chicks. I am not waiting to finish the floor as I can finish the floor later.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #111 on: April 03, 2010, 07:28:28 pm »
    Finally finished digging the trench today! DH cannot dig long as the wound in his finger starts bleeding. I cannot dig long as I do not have the arm strength necessary. Also, I needed to stand in the trench to reach the bottom and DH dug it less than a foot wide. Unfortunately I am wider than that! I had to stand with one foot behind the other.

Offline Carol Hanrahan

• So. Cal.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #112 on: April 03, 2010, 09:15:03 pm »
    Annalog,
    Sorry to hear about all the injuries!  Hope your DH is mending!
    Happy to know things are moving along on the coop!  When will the chicks arrive?  And what kinds are you getting?  Don't you just love Spring?  Baby chicks and baby eagles and planting of the roses - that's what I did today.  I have a few too many rose bushes you see......

Carol Hanrahan

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #113 on: April 03, 2010, 09:29:33 pm »
    Carol, I do not know when the chicks will arrive. With the trench to get electricity to the coop finished, I went online to order the chicks a short while ago.  :( The hatchery I want to order from, as well as all the others I checked, are out of the chicks of the breeds that I want. The site for the hatchery I want to order from says that the three breeds that I want are sold out until May. The breeds I want are Barred Plymouth Rocks, New Hampshire Reds, and Ameraucanas. I would be happy with assorted bantams in place of Ameraucanas. This particular hatchery will not let me order online for chicks that are not available in the next four weeks. Therefore I will be phoning them on Monday to see if they will let me place my order that way for a future date when I can order:

6 Barred Plymouth Rock pullets,
    6 New Hampshire Red pullets,
    6 Ameraucana pullets (or assorted bantam pullets),
    3 Barred Plymouth Rock males,
    4 New Hampshire Red males

25 chicks

EDIT: I am upset with myself for not ordering the chicks earlier as soon as it looked like we would be ready for the chicks in April. However I wanted to be sure we would be ready for the chicks when they arrived. At least I know we will be ready. However by May I will need to worry more about keeping the chicks cool than about making sure they are warm enough.
    « Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 09:33:27 pm by Annalog »

Offline Carol Hanrahan

• So. Cal.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #114 on: April 04, 2010, 09:49:52 am »
     :(
    Who would have thought a hatchery would be sold out?  How far away is the hatchery?  Do you try to stay local so the chicks don't have to travel too far?  Or does it matter?

Carol Hanrahan

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #115 on: April 04, 2010, 11:14:08 am »
    The hatchery I want to order from,  Ideal Poultry Breeding Farms, is in Texas which is fairly close. Most of the popular hatcheries appear to be sold out of pullets and straight run chicks while males are available. March and April (spring/Easter) are the most popular times for chicks so I should not be surprised.

I chose Ideal because they are certified as Avian Influenza and Pullorum-Typhoid clean and they do NOT automatically vaccinate for Marek's Disease. Many hatcheries automatically vaccinate for Marek's Disease. My understanding is that the vaccination of a bird for Marek's Disease will bring the disease with it and that all later birds must also be vaccinated for Marek's Disease. Since the disease does not seem to be prevalent in this area, I would prefer not to have my chicks vaccinated.

I have decided that when I phone tomorrow that I will simplify my order which should result in earlier chicks. I have decided on:
    12 Barred Plymouth Rock straight run chicks
    13 New Hampshire Red straight run chicks
    « Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 01:12:14 pm by Annalog »

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #116 on: April 04, 2010, 12:32:12 pm »
    A few advantages to the delay:
    Ordering straight run and only two types will be less expensive.

I should have time to finish the floor.

I will definitely will have an opportunity to learn about providing chicken for the freezer. Also that may be delayed to when it is a bit cooler.

I will be more likely to order turkey poults along with more chicks of different breeds next spring.

I will have more incentive to put in timed lighting to encourage egg laying this fall/winter so that the hens do not moult  this winter. Also more time to learn if I have any hens that become broody.

/Posted from K2.
    « Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 01:02:11 pm by Annalog »

Offline Carol Hanrahan

• So. Cal.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #117 on: April 04, 2010, 09:02:19 pm »
    You posted that from your K2?  I'm impressed.

Carol Hanrahan

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #118 on: April 04, 2010, 09:20:07 pm »
    Yes, my previous post was posted from my K2 and then when I saw I had left out a couple words, I edited it from the K2 as well. The post before it was also edited from my K2 when I saw it was missing a word. A post I read said it had been posted from their Kindle. I figured that meant that either KB had changed its logon protocol or that Amazon had improved the Kindle browser so that it could handle the KB logon. I suspect the latter. :D My K2 remembers that I am logged on just as it remembers my Gmail logon. Of course those are forgotten sometimes during a reset. It is handy when I am away from computer access.

What does not work is anything that requires cursor coordination, such as looking at spoiler text, or multiple windows, such as spell check. Preview also did not work. As long as the post can be done with normal typing, it seems to be working fine. (I also turned off images so that the pages would load faster. ;))

Offline Carol Hanrahan

• So. Cal.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #119 on: April 04, 2010, 09:25:04 pm »
    How do you turn off images?
    When I was visiting my Dad last Feb., I did use my K2 to check Kindleboards, but never considered posting from it.  Now, I will have to figure it out!

Carol Hanrahan

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #120 on: April 04, 2010, 10:23:46 pm »
    While in the browser or browser bookmarks, press the Menu key. Choose Settings from the Menu. This will bring up the browser settings page. One of the choices ie Disable/Enable Images. 

In order to logon and post, I use Advanced mode on setting menu and have Javascript enabled on the setting page..

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #121 on: April 05, 2010, 06:43:30 am »
    I received an electronic indoor/outdoor thermometer for my birthday. The outdoor part is wireless with a range of 100 feet. Last evening I finally put batteries in the two parts and put the outdoor part on the shelf in the chicken coop and the indoor part a shelf on the wall closest to the coop but in the house. The low and current temperature is 45 F. I will check the high tonight.

EDIT: The high was 85 F. I am definitely going to need to adjust the brooder temps for day/night.
    « Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 07:03:03 pm by Annalog »

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #122 on: April 05, 2010, 07:35:14 am »
    I received two e-mails from Ideal Poultry. The Ameraucanas and New Hampshire Reds are available for me to order by phone for shipping on May 17, 2010. Hopefully I will be able to order the Barred Plymouth Rock chicks as well. :)
    « Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 09:36:05 am by Annalog »

Offline B-Kay 1325

• Tucson, Az
      • View Profile
    « Reply #123 on: April 05, 2010, 10:19:55 am »
    Annalog, I watched the Martha Stewart show totally devoted to Chickens this weekend and thought about you.  It was a very interesting program and I throughly enjoyed it.  A lot of the audience were there with thier own chickens.  She had a lot of information about raising chickens and receiving chicks through the mail with all the particulars about what to do when you receive them.  The FLN channel runs reruns of her shows from the previous week on the weekends early in the morning.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #124 on: April 05, 2010, 10:49:08 am »
    Thanks for the information B-Kay! I just checked her site and it looks as if the show (or at least some more information) will be is already in the show archives tomorrow or the next day. Since DH and I do not have access to broadcast, cable, or satellite TV, the Internet will have to do.  :D EDIT: I will watch it tonight.  ;D Second edit: Apparently this is just a preview until sometime in the future.  :(

I already have the heat lamps. I have checked out our three local feed stores and will be picking up the non-feed supplies (pine shavings, feeder, water dishes, etc.) this weekend. I will wait until the week before the chicks arrrive to buy the chick starter feed (unless I get enough space cleared in the freezer).
    « Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 07:11:48 pm by Annalog »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement