Author Topic: Raising Chickens and Poultry  (Read 90062 times)  

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
  • Goodbye, Mr. Milquetoast
    • View Profile
    • Origami Turtle's photostream
Re: Raising Chickens and Poultry
« Reply #1125 on: May 16, 2016, 10:32:18 pm »
Current count:
 5 hens from original set of chicks 6 years ago - Ginger, Clove, Cinnamon, Cumin, and Thyme
 7 roosters - BC (Thing One), Son of BC, Timmy, Lone Ranger, Achilles, Odysseus, and Atlas
14 younger hens - 7 second generation and 7 from hatchery - one named Anoia (Goddess of Things That Get Stuck in Drawers)
  1 younger hen - Blind Belle
 3 Silkie hens - from hatchery and broody much of the time.
 4 young chicks
====
34 chickens ranging in age from a couple months to 6 years old

We have given or sold some of the younger chickens hatched by the Silkies. The Silkies are unhappy if we don't give them eggs to hatch when they are broody but if we kept all the chicks that they raise then we would be overrun by chickens. BC, Son of BC, and Timmy are with small flocks of hens and the remaining roosters are bachelors. The silkies and Blind Belle are in a coop with attached pen without a rooster.

DH acquired an injured, unaltered tom cat from the neighbors across the street. This cat, Kiki, had been living outside and did not get along with their dog. Kiki had been hanging around our house lately and eating the food left out for a feral cat that had showed up months ago. Kiki had a respectful, but standoffish, relationship with the chickens. DH took the Kiki to the vet to have the injury treated and to be neutered. Since the cat was a bit wild and he could not bring it inside with our other two cats, DH set up the recovering cat in Mr. Milquetoast's old pen.This let DH give the meds to Kiki and kept Kiki safe. In a couple days, the roosters became comfortable with Kiki there. Now that Kiki is completely recovered, he spends the day ranging with his pen door open and at night he is safely in the pen with the door closed. DH says that Kiki has become very friendly and nearly purrs.

A few days ago Kiki killed a mouse in the garden. After playing with it for a while he stepped a bit away from the mouse. DH says that Kiki looked shocked when one of the hens darted in and stole the mouse. We will see how having an outside cat works with adult full size chickens. Since the silkies, blind Belle, and the young chicks are not allowed to leave their pen, we don't have to worry about them and the cat.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 11:10:57 pm by Annalog »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1126 on: June 28, 2016, 02:19:28 pm »
    Yesterday, while cleaning out the coop, DH and I decided to rearrange it again. We replaced the larger nesting boxes on both sides with smaller ones and changed them from the outer walls to the inner ones. We had hoped that this would stop the Silkie from being broody as she was sitting on infertile eggs. Nope, she spent a long time looking for the eggs that we had thrown out. She also wouldn't let the other chickens into the coop. So we gave her four of the fertile eggs collected that day. She immediately settled on the eggs and didn't get back up. We don't need more chicks but at least she is happy. The rest of the chickens on both sides of the coop kept investigating the changes and finally determined their favorite new roosting spots.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1127 on: June 30, 2016, 10:15:00 am »
    Usually the hens ignore the large black ants in the yard. This morning, while free ranging during a light rain, the hens were eating the ants. Do wet ants smell better, taste better, look yummier? Fewer ants for the horned lizards today.

Offline NapCat (retired)

• Lighthouse Ranch, Nevada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1128 on: June 30, 2016, 12:51:38 pm »
    Usually the hens ignore the large black ants in the yard. This morning, while free ranging during a light rain, the hens were eating the ants. Do wet ants smell better, taste better, look yummier? Fewer ants for the horned lizards today.

Maybe a wet ant looks like it is chocolate covered ???

'da NapCat

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods...They have never forgotten this !!

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1129 on: October 03, 2016, 06:44:40 am »
    Sylvester, the cat formerly known as Kiki, is still living happily with us and still spends each night in Mr. Milquetoast's old pen. He has put on more muscle and looks great. Ants, similar to the one in the post above, are often seen carrying some of his dry cat food into their nest. Sylvester is making a dent in the rodent population.

The cockerel and pullets have been moved out of the pen chick/Silkie/special needs pen as they were picking on Blind Belle. Belle is doing great and cimes toward us when we enter the pen as she knows that we bring food and treats.

Yesterday, DH saw BC sitting with one of his hens while she was laying an egg. We will watch to see if he does this frequently or just with his favorite hen.

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1130 on: August 23, 2018, 10:03:23 am »
    So Anna, is there anything new going on in the chicken coop?

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher
    TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1131 on: June 01, 2019, 07:14:41 am »
    Life has taken many turns the past few years. We plan to be moving within the year. We found good homes for most of our chickens, with each rooster and his hens going to a new home together. We only have one hen left and hope to find her a good home soon, possibly with one of the homes where some of our other chickens are. I will post some of the stories later.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1132 on: June 01, 2019, 12:33:36 pm »
    So good to see a post from you. We comment every once in a while about Annalog's chickens and wonder how things are going for you and yours. Will look forward to your stories.

Offline sjc

• (Member 153)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1133 on: September 04, 2019, 12:07:05 am »
    Annalog:  So good to see that smiling face and read about Sylvester, the animals n DH. Xoxo
    HI LOONLOVER!!!! Speaking of DH....??? Xo
    Fight the Battle-Win the War

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1134 on: September 04, 2019, 06:01:03 pm »
    2019 is continuing to have its ups and downs. I didn't post back in May when my mother passed away after her cancer moved into her bones. She was in home hospice at my sister's house at the time and it went as well as it could have done.

My mother started running in local race events at the age of 77. Her first race was Run with the Roosters 2009. Over the years she earned medals by placing, often first, in her age category. She didn't let bad knees, cancer, chemo, or compression fractures in her back stop her. It took a broken hip to slow her down. My sisters and I pushed her in her wheelchair in the last race she was in September 2018. The Everyone Runs/Everyone Walks races put on by Steve Landau and his family were always her favorite.

This year, at the 2019 Run with the Roosters race, many of us in the family ran or walked this 5 mile race, either in Tucson or virtually from far away. Before the race, the race director, Steve Landau, spoke about celebrating life, focusing on my mother's achievements and also the birth of his first grandchild just hours before. It was a wonderful way to start the race.

My mom must have been there in spirit as I ended up walking with a woman who I learned rescued older chickens and ducks. During the race we became friends and arranged to have me take Ribbon, our lonely hen, to her place after the weather cooled a bit in Tucson. Almost three weeks ago, I took Ribbon to her house to meet Eileen and her chickens. I have been getting regular updates via text and phone calls. Ribbon has made friends with a hen and a rooster.

My husband and I miss having chickens around but it will not be possible to take chickens with us when we move.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1135 on: September 05, 2019, 04:51:25 am »
    Thanks for the update, Anna and my sympathies on the loss of your indomitable mother.  I miss hearing from you here at KB.   :-*

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1136 on: September 05, 2019, 06:35:02 am »
    Thanks! Life has truly been crazy for a while, some good, some sad, some happy, and some bad. Hopefully I will find more time with internet access to stay in touch. <3

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1137 on: September 06, 2019, 11:25:40 am »
    R.I.P. Ribbon

I learned yesterday that Ribbon passed away a few hours before I wrote the upate post. Probably due to her age and possibly the warmer temperatures, she developed ascites (water belly) a couple weeks after the move. She had settled in and seemed to be enjoying everything when she took a turn downhill. The vet drained the excess fluid but could not determine if the cause was due to her reproductive system shutting down, heat stress, cancer, heart problems, etc. She then had several good days but was still having some issues with fluid accumulation.

Eileen did everything possible. She had kept Ribbon inside her house during the evenings and nights, along with Lazarus (a rescue rooster who Ribbon liked) ever since Ribbon arrived to help her acclimate to the change in climate. She took her to the vet when this problem arose. She made sure that Ribbon had good time with a friendly hen in the coolest place outside during the day. She made sure that Ribbon knew that she was as loved there as she had been here. She provided Ribbon the chicken flock activities that we no longer could.

Good bye Ribbon. We miss you.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1138 on: September 06, 2019, 12:16:08 pm »
    So sorry to hear about Ribbon. It sounds like you did well by her to the end. Those of us who have followed this thread from the beginning know the good life your chickens enjoyed.

Offline jakecrew

• View Profile
    « Reply #1139 on: January 16, 2020, 04:38:07 am »
    Thanks for sharing

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1140 on: January 16, 2020, 09:16:59 am »
    You are welcome. DH and I certainly miss having chickens. I will find a way to be with chickens after we move.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1141 on: May 05, 2020, 12:46:48 pm »
    My niece in the north east of the US has gotten six chicks, five pullets and a cockerel. She has been posting photos, videos, and updates on Facebook. The chicks are being raised in an alcove of their house, safe from their dogs and cats. She and her housemates are looking to buy a nearby farm together soon. That, and hearing neighborhood roosters crow, is currently the closest I am to chickens. The more I work in my vegetable garden, the more I miss them.

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1142 on: May 07, 2020, 05:37:52 am »
    Even though I've been there only once years ago, when I think of roosters crowing I think of Key West.  Gotta go back . . . one of these days.

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
    His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement