Author Topic: Raising Chickens and Poultry  (Read 90066 times)  

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
  • Goodbye, Mr. Milquetoast
    • View Profile
    • Origami Turtle's photostream
Re: Raising Chickens and Poultry
« Reply #125 on: April 05, 2010, 11:41:41 am »
I phoned Ideal Poultry and the person I spoke with suggested I wait to order until I get the third e-mail saying the Barred Plymouth Rock chicks will be available. I expect that will be in the next few days and the two e-mails I already received say I have until April 7th to place my order and not lose my reservation for the chicks. Due to this, I have once again changed my planned order. If nothing else changes, I will order:
10 Barred Plymouth Rock straight run chicks
11 New Hampshire Red straight run chicks
 4 Ameraucana pullets

25 chicks

The order is simplified but I will still have three types of chickens. I will just cross my fingers that the standard run chicks will not be more than 60% male. I will also hope that all four Ameraucana chicks will be pullets even though the Ameraucana roosters have beautiful coloring. ;)

EDIT: Actually, as long as the straight run chicks are no more than 80% male, I will have enough hens to hatch chicks for next year.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 04:18:33 pm by Annalog »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #126 on: April 07, 2010, 02:55:35 pm »
    My chicks are ordered and will be shipped on May 17th. They should arrive on the 18th or 19th! I am so excited! ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D

EDIT: The wiring will be finished this weekend. I hope to finish the flooring the following weekend. I will work on setting up the brood area and adding insulation and pegboard to the south walls. After that I will work on the interior wall and the outside pen area.

Yesterday the high temperature in the coop was 77 F and the low last night was 37 F. I need to start looking for a thermostat to control the electricity to one of the two heat lamps so that one can be on all the time and the other can be on only when it is cooler in the brood area. The chicks are supposed to be kept at 95 F day and night for the first week and then the temperature should drop by 5 degrees a week until the temperature reaches 70 F.
    « Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 03:12:08 pm by Annalog »

Offline Carol Hanrahan

• So. Cal.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #127 on: April 07, 2010, 08:17:23 pm »
    Ohh, Annalog!  How exciting!  Now that the chicks are ordered, you really have a deadline!  That will spur you on - like you even need that! :D  Still it will be more exciting working on the coop now that you know it will soon be full!  We want pictures of course!

Carol Hanrahan

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #128 on: April 07, 2010, 11:18:45 pm »
    I will certainly take and post pictures. :D

Today I was reminded that I will be away on vacation in Sedona for a week in early June when the chicks are less than a month old. DH could not get the week off so he will be home after the first three days. We will need to make arrangements for chick-sitters while he is gone.

EDIT: Added missing spaces and letters that I missed when posting from K2.  ;) Also, I will still be gone the entire week as this year my mom can come to Sedona with us.  ;D
    « Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 09:20:35 am by Annalog »

Offline Carol Hanrahan

• So. Cal.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #129 on: April 08, 2010, 08:12:54 am »
    Chick-sitters! ;D

Carol Hanrahan

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #130 on: April 08, 2010, 09:25:11 am »
    Chick-sitters! ;D
    :D Too bad we cannot get a couple broody hens to come sit on our chicks!  ;) (Wait, at three weeks they should be too big to fit under a couple hens.  ::))

When I corrected my K2 typing in the earlier post, I used the Spell Check feature. It wanted to change "chick-sitters" to "hucksters". I do NOT want hucksters to watch my chicks! ;D (Neighbors and coworkers of DH are the most likely candidates for our watchers of chicks.  ;))

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #131 on: April 08, 2010, 09:33:35 pm »
    Thanks to the information from B-Kay, I just finished watching the Martha Stewart Chicken show. It is possible to watch the entire show or to watch segments (~ 10 min) of the show. There is a commercial before each segment.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #132 on: April 11, 2010, 05:49:56 pm »
    Yesterday DH finished the electrical wiring and put the florescent lights back up. The switched outlets worked! (Today his parents came to visit. His dad, an electrician, checked the wiring and found DH had wired it incorrectly. We would have been shocked if we had used it while grounded. It is now wired properly!) I insulated the door and part of the south wall before running out of Liquid Nails for Interior and Foamboard projects.

This morning DH and I were discussing the interior wall and the planned nesting boxes. Of course the plan for the wall has changed once again. :D Now the door into the chicken area will be on the east and not lined up with the exterior door which is on the west end of the south wall. Instead the nesting boxes will be on the west end directly in front of the door. The opening for the movable nesting boxes will be big enough to push a wheelbarrow through when it is time for completely cleaning the coop. Since the two doors will not be lined up, that will make it a bit more difficult for chickens to get out if the exterior door is left ajar accidentally.
    « Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 02:59:03 pm by Annalog »

Offline jamaesi

• View Profile
    « Reply #133 on: April 11, 2010, 11:31:17 pm »
    This should be a good first post for me, here are some pictures of my dominique bantam hens when they were just little peeps along with Mr. Mom Zahi, my German Shepherd dog.  They're called German /Shepherds/ for a reason, they're herding dogs!   ;)  Zahi loves herding his chickens around the lawn and keeping them safe from any prowling cats or raccoons.

And here they are all grown up "enjoying" the couple feet of snow that was recently dumped on us.  Raya is in front, Sakina is behind her.

I also have two Australorp hens, Calaeno and Asterope.  The Australorps are great layers and the bantams, amazingly enough, are as well. I get 1-3 eggs daily from my little flock.  I couldn't ever imagine eating my own chickens, eggs are all I want from them.  As a bonus they take care of kitchen scraps, provide free landscaping as they edge along the fence and garden beds so we don't have to, and to top it all off they de-bug the lawn.  They're also free entertainment- it's so fun to watch them go about their day.  What more could you ask from them?  :D

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #134 on: April 12, 2010, 07:07:02 am »
    This should be a good first post for me, here are some pictures of my dominique bantam hens when they were just little peeps along with Mr. Mom Zahi, my German Shepherd dog.  They're called German /Shepherds/ for a reason, they're herding dogs!   ;)  Zahi loves herding his chickens around the lawn and keeping them safe from any prowling cats or raccoons.
    And here they are all grown up "enjoying" the couple feet of snow that was recently dumped on us.  Raya is in front, Sakina is behind her.
    I also have two Australorp hens, Calaeno and Asterope.  The Australorps are great layers and the bantams, amazingly enough, are as well. I get 1-3 eggs daily from my little flock.  I couldn't ever imagine eating my own chickens, eggs are all I want from them.  As a bonus they take care of kitchen scraps, provide free landscaping as they edge along the fence and garden beds so we don't have to, and to top it all off they de-bug the lawn.  They're also free entertainment- it's so fun to watch them go about their day.  What more could you ask from them?  :D
    Jamaesi, thanks for sharing the pictures of your hens with us.  :D Your hens are adorable and you are so lucky to have such a good dog for guarding your chickens. I bet Mr. Mom Zahi also protects your hens from other dogs as well as from the prowling cats and raccoons. With all of that snow, I bet you have a nice cosy coop for your hens. I am looking forward to hearing more about your chickens and seeing more pictures.  ;D

I am honored you decided to put your first post here!  :D You will also want to post in Introductions & Welcomes so that others can welcome you to KindleBoards.

Offline angelad

• View Profile
    « Reply #135 on: April 12, 2010, 07:43:59 am »
    Ohh, Annalog!  How exciting!  Now that the chicks are ordered, you really have a deadline!  That will spur you on - like you even need that! :D  Still it will be more exciting working on the coop now that you know it will soon be full!  We want pictures of course!

Yes, pics or it didn't happen ;)

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #136 on: April 12, 2010, 09:12:49 am »
    Yes, pics or it didn't happen ;)
    Fairly boring pictures of the pegboard ceiling, lights, lightswitch, conduit for the wiring, wireless thermometer, and filled in trench? With materials in the way for the next activities, the coop is currently quite messy. OK, I will try to remember to take pictures and post them tonight. :D I ordered the chicks by telephone and did not receive an e-mail confirmation therefore I won't be able to take a picture of the order. ;) The chicks won't arrive until mid-May; unless I have access to a time machine, pictures of my chicks will need to wait until they arrive. ;D

EDIT: Photos of new work on coop will need to wait for another day.
    « Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 08:02:35 pm by Annalog »

Offline Carol Hanrahan

• So. Cal.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #137 on: April 12, 2010, 11:04:54 am »
    We'll wait with you, Annalog! ;)

Carol Hanrahan

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #138 on: April 12, 2010, 06:32:24 pm »
    We'll wait with you, Annalog! ;)
    Does that make it a KindleBoards Chicken Watch? ;)

Offline Carol Hanrahan

• So. Cal.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #139 on: April 12, 2010, 08:03:37 pm »
    Absolutely!

My DD1 is vegan, as she is against animal cruelty.  I asked her this weekend if I had hens in the backyard, and took good care of them, would she eat the eggs?  She said yes.  Unfortunately, DH would have a cow if I did, and I have two golden retrievers.  DD1 is away at college, so the whole scenario would never happen.  Maybe some day, but not very soon!  Oh well...... :P

So I'm living vicariously through you, Annalog!

Carol Hanrahan

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #140 on: April 14, 2010, 02:12:12 pm »
    Photos to prove it happened:

Conduit with wire in trench at least 18 inches deep from house to chicken coop.

Wire waiting for outlets and switches. Pegboard up on ceiling to cover wire and insulation.

Trench filled in from house to chicken coop.

Wireless thermostat and styrofoam insulation waiting to be installed.

Let there be light! Let there be light switches! (Lights plugged into pair of switched outlets. Other outlets are not controlled by the switch.) Insulation on door and part of south wall. Waiting for corners to be framed to finish so that I can put up more pegboard.
    « Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 04:36:06 pm by Annalog »

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #141 on: April 14, 2010, 04:53:13 pm »
    Carol, if you keep chickens and DH has a cow and you both treat them well then DD1 could have eggs AND milk and cheese. ;D Of course then DH would need to figure out what to do with the calves or he would end up with a herd! Could the retrievers be taught to herd cows? ;)

EDIT: If the retrievers were busy herding the cows then they might be too busy to attempt to retrieve the chickens.  ;D
    « Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 05:00:14 pm by Annalog »

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #142 on: April 14, 2010, 05:16:45 pm »
    When does a KindleBoards Chicken Watch start? When the chicks are ordered (April 7th)? When the chicks are shipped (May 17th)? When the eggs are put into the incubator (April 24/25th)? When the eggs are laid (up to 10 days earlier - April 14th - 24th)? When the eggs are fertilized (a day earlier - April 13th - 23rd)? When the hen and rooster mate (usually 4 to 10 days before that - April 3rd - April 19th)?

Any opinions?

Offline B-Kay 1325

• Tucson, Az
      • View Profile
    « Reply #143 on: April 14, 2010, 08:00:56 pm »
    I think that since you have a ship date the "KindleBoards Chicken Watch" should start.  Just MHO

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #144 on: April 15, 2010, 10:39:15 am »
    KindleBoards Chicken Watch it is. Below are my favorites of the watches and clocks I found on Amazon:

There were even more cute timers:

(No, it is not OCD!   ;D)

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #145 on: April 16, 2010, 07:13:20 am »
    This is being posted from my netbook while I am sitting in the chicken coop. The chickens will be in range of our wireless network. ;D The strength is ranging between 4 and 5 bars out of 5. I need to find out what it will take to set up a Chicken Cam. :D (EDIT: Without spending too much money!)
    « Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 01:17:57 pm by Annalog »

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #146 on: April 17, 2010, 08:14:35 pm »
    I saw some beautiful chickens at the Pima County Fair today. I did not realize how large some chickens could be! There were some that looked too big for me to pick up. One was a white Plymouth Rock rooster and another was a black Sumatra rooster. The matching hens were nearly as large. The barred Plymouth Rock hens that were there were closer to the size I expected.

Offline Carol Hanrahan

• So. Cal.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #147 on: April 17, 2010, 08:18:05 pm »
    Ooooh, yeah, a chicken cam!  I LOVE that idea!  Oh, I hope it's not too expensive!  That would be fun!
    Annalog, I just can't do chickens or cows when we live on such a tiny lot in So. Cal. in an urban area.  No room for a cow.  I did bring 4 chicks home one Easter when the kids were little.  DH was not happy.  We had to give them away to a trainer at the stable where I keep my horse when they got large.  She had them for awhile, we even got some eggs from them.  Unfortunately, the coyotes were just too aggressive and bold and they would jump out right in front of people to grab one.  I was very sad.

Carol Hanrahan

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #148 on: April 18, 2010, 07:11:38 am »
    Carol, I am sorry to hear about the fate of your chickens. I think the source of my OCD (Obsessive Chicken Defense) is due to experiences with chickens, dogs, and coyotes when I was young.

So far, Chicken Cam looks to cost a couple hundred dollars. It is a bit steeper than I hoped (especially just after DH and I gave each other matching netbooks).

...  Unfortunately, DH would have a cow if I did, and I have two golden retrievers.  ...
    I did not seriously expect you and DH to keep chickens and cows. It was intended as a very bad pun.  :-[ ;) :)

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #149 on: April 18, 2010, 10:30:45 pm »
    We made progress on the coop today. DH finished the corners so that it will be possible to put up pegboard to cover wiring. I finished the insulation on the south wall (except for over the door). DH put up pegboard on south wall. I covered insulation on door with two layers of Contact vinyl (clear vertically, white horizontally). I put vinyl floor in. DH and I moved stuff back in to coop. DH keeps talking about what a nice workshop the coop will be when I am tired of chickens.  ::) ;D ::)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement