Author Topic: Raising Chickens and Poultry  (Read 90064 times)  

Offline sem

• Very Southern CA
  • I read therefore I kindle!
    • View Profile
Re: Raising Chickens and Poultry
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2010, 08:30:16 am »

"aggressive roosters can be very scary." But properly cooked - very tasty!   ;D
SEM

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • Goodbye, Mr. Milquetoast
      • View Profile
      • Origami Turtle's photostream
    « Reply #76 on: January 19, 2010, 09:07:01 am »
    "aggressive roosters can be very scary." But properly cooked - very tasty!   ;D
    That was my mom's approach to inappropriately aggressive roosters. ;D The rooster that was more aggressive than Little Twerp ended up on the table. Little Twerp would chase away any threats he saw to his flock.

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
      • View Profile
    « Reply #77 on: January 20, 2010, 05:02:52 am »
    I am about to be aggressive to the stupid roosters across the street  ::) they staryted at 4:30 AM - are they on East Coast time I wonder  ???
    Dona
    on the shores of Lake Chapala, Mexico

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #78 on: January 20, 2010, 05:07:43 am »
    One of our neighbors had a rooster for awhile.  Haven't heard it lately.  Either they ate it or a fox did.  ;D

Btsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #79 on: January 20, 2010, 06:20:15 am »
    I am about to be aggressive to the stupid roosters across the street  ::) they started at 4:30 AM - are they on East Coast time I wonder  ???
    Do you have any neighbors who turn on a light at 4:30 AM? Any motion-detection lights that go on? (I just checked an almanac and it should not be moonrise.)

Any possibility of help from your neighbors with the roosters? Can you suggest they throw a neighborhood barbecue? Or if you throw a barbecue, possibly in anticipation of your new house, could they supply the roosters? ;)

Offline Brendan Carroll

• Texas
    • Only a fool can rule the world.
      • View Profile
      • Brendan Carroll
    « Reply #80 on: January 23, 2010, 12:55:03 pm »
    Any new pictures to share?  Just wondering... ::)

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
      • View Profile
    « Reply #81 on: January 23, 2010, 02:17:01 pm »
    Surely you joke?  You didn't see the house across the street in another thread?  Roosters come and roosters go, but I think it is from the illegal rooster fights, or maybe they eat them.  These are the same people who had a dalmatian tied up on a 6 ft. rope, if it was that long, and it barked all all night!  No dog pounds here.  Oh I could tell you some stories about these people, but won't upset you.
    Dona
    on the shores of Lake Chapala, Mexico

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #82 on: January 23, 2010, 02:32:34 pm »
    Surely you joke?  You didn't see the house across the street in another thread?  Roosters come and roosters go, but I think it is from the illegal rooster fights, or maybe they eat them.  These are the same people who had a dalmatian tied up on a 6 ft. rope, if it was that long, and it barked all all night!  No dog pounds here.  Oh I could tell you some stories about these people, but won't upset you.
    Dona, I posted the suggestion the day before I saw the photo in the other thread. I have had neighbors in the past where the best option was to move away. Good that you have a plan for a new house in place.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #83 on: January 23, 2010, 03:34:46 pm »
    Any new pictures to share?  Just wondering... ::)
    It has been a soggy week in Arizona. This morning at my house there was sunshine followed by snow, hail, rain, more sun, more rain, etc. We are very glad we finished moving the shed before this storm system arrived!  :D

The ground is soft and soggy. The high winds earlier in the week blew down the end of our fence. Fortunately this is really easy to fix.  ;D

We had so much rain that there is actually standing water as the ground is fairly saturated.

The mountains all around us have snow.

The sky is still cloudy.

I did get the wire cut on two sides of the shed. One side has the wire folded. After all sides are cut and folded, then I will attach 1"x2" wood over the top of the wire to finish it.

Offline Meredith Sinclair

• Deep in the HEART of TEXAS
    • I am a TRUE Texas Girl...Missing My friend Dona...
      • View Profile
      • MySpace
    « Reply #84 on: January 23, 2010, 08:18:03 pm »
    What a terrible thing for your brother to do, especially if he was showing the rooster that you should be attacked! Aggressive hens are bad enough; aggressive roosters can be very scary.
    Well... he was a BOY... that is what they do right? He is a uear and a half older than me so he was young too... BUT Rosey scared me to death! I let the boys play GI Joes in the backyard and I played Barbies in the safety of my own room... ::)
    The Apprentice Diaries
    Hey, D'Lani Elliott is me!!! I helped Brendan write this book! Yay, Me!!

Offline Trilby

• Connecticut
    • Christina1960 @ WWF,Emmaline31970 @ We Rule
      • View Profile

~Christina~
    I love cozy mysteries!!

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #86 on: January 24, 2010, 08:08:26 am »
    Trilby,
    What a beautiful chicken coop! Is it your husband who designed this or is it one you are considering for purchase? I love how the feed tube was made to look like a chimney. I also like how the use of a standard pet watering dish was used as a water source that could be refilled from outside the coop. (It looks just like one of the water dishes we use for our cats.) The covered outside ramp/staircase is adorable. It looks as if it could be used as a chicken tractor and moved around to give the chickens access to different areas of the lawn. It looks nice and compact for 2-4 hens in an urban setting.

Offline Trilby

• Connecticut
    • Christina1960 @ WWF,Emmaline31970 @ We Rule
      • View Profile
    « Reply #87 on: January 24, 2010, 08:40:03 am »
    Trilby,
    What a beautiful chicken coop! Is it your husband who designed this or is it one you are considering for purchase? I love how the feed tube was made to look like a chimney. I also like how the use of a standard pet watering dish was used as a water source that could be refilled from outside the coop. (It looks just like one of the water dishes we use for our cats.) The covered outside ramp/staircase is adorable. It looks as if it could be used as a chicken tractor and moved around to give the chickens access to different areas of the lawn. It looks nice and compact for 2-4 hens in an urban setting.

I got an email from Etsy.com yesterday that had that picture in it. So I thought I'd post it :) I'd love to have that coop myself, my girls have pets that I think would love to live in that house! lol  I think it would work well with rabbits as well as chickens.

~Christina~
    I love cozy mysteries!!

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #88 on: January 24, 2010, 09:45:15 am »
    I got an email from Etsy.com yesterday that had that picture in it. So I thought I'd post it :) I'd love to have that coop myself, my girls have pets that I think would love to live in that house! lol  I think it would work well with rabbits as well as chickens.
    The description says it should work with bunnies. However I would think the rabbits might chew on the wood or would dig their way out of the bottom. (Since I have never kept rabbits I do not really know. However the Guinea pigs and hamsters my sister kept would chew on everything.) I would also probably replace (or cover) the chicken wire with welded wire (hardware cloth) because chicken wire will not stand up to determined animals, especially predators (including dogs).

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #89 on: January 24, 2010, 03:08:38 pm »
    Finished cutting the excess hardware cloth today. While working on this, I have been thinking that I will need easier access to the east side of the coop. (I am getting too old to work in tight places.  ;)) I was also thinking again about DH's suggestion that we put the chicken pen 90 degrees to the coop instead of in line with it. However, instead of the extra part of the pen sticking out to the west, I was thinking of putting it to the east. This means that I will not finish the planter on that side and will give access to that space to the chickens as part of the chicken moat. I will need to steal some space from one of the garden aisles.

Compulsive person that I am, I have an Excel spreadsheet for tracking garden info. While I don't normally recommend Excel for drawing, it has worked well for my garden. (Maybe using foot square pavers for the garden aisles has something to do with that.  ;))

The garden is only partially complete. (North is at top of plan.) The south corner blocks (east and west) with asparagus are finished and growing asparagus. The attached square blocks are also finished. The south, east, and west 4'x8' areas need to be redone to prevent gopher access. The north section has not yet been started. None of the exterior planters are finished; the planter section that was the closest to being finished will now be part of the chicken moat. The bordering area in yellow is the planned chicken moat. The pale blue will be the exterior chicken moat fence. The grey area with darker grey dots represents the exterior garden fence (interior chicken moat fence). (I am not excessively compulsive. I can make my garden unsymmetrical, well at least the bordering planters and access gates.  ;D ) The vegetable garden plan is intended to support a four-year rotation plan: Legume, Fruiting, Leafy, Root. The areas identified as "Herb Cmpst Chickn" are intended to have compost piles or pots growing herbs or plants for the chickens.

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    « Reply #90 on: January 25, 2010, 07:53:35 am »
    I am more impressed than I can tell you.
    I have "raised bed" garden areas with 8 foot deer guard and 3foot rabbit fencing.
    No need thus far to put a wire grid on the ground because all we get right now are the occasional small mole.
    It is the hungry deer, rabbits or chipmonks and the capricious squirrels that I worry about.
    I like the raised beds because it allows me to focus my soil improvement efforts.
    I make my own compost - wonderful rich black humus and work it into the beds constantly.
    Can't make enough to improve the "yard" so the grass and trees will just have to struggle on.

But I have never been as organized as you are.

I just had to say that.
    I am enjoying your "blog" - please keep the progress pics coming.

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher
    TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #91 on: January 25, 2010, 08:52:03 pm »
    Geoff, the planning may be organized but some of the rest of my life isn't! Did you see the big tumbleweed in first picture I posted in this thread/blog? Tumbleweeds don't really belong in an organized garden! ;D Some of the planning is due to the several gopher setbacks and some is due to trying to think of ways to make sure that I can still be gardening when I don't have either energy or time. (Also, a lot of the garden planning was done in the evenings on business trips when I could not garden at all.)

I agree about focused garden areas (raised beds, sunken beds, etc.). When I gardened in Tucson, I used sunken beds to concentrate the water in addition to the compost.

Using 12" square pavers in the garden paths helps me conserve water in the garden, eliminates weeds in the paths, and provides a clean (not dusty or muddy) surface to walk on. Finally, the pavers also prevent me from accidentally kneeling on scorpions as they spend the day UNDER the pavers instead of under other types of surface cover that is easily disturbed by knees.  :o

Offline B-Kay 1325

• Tucson, Az
      • View Profile
    « Reply #92 on: February 09, 2010, 12:39:15 pm »
    Just thought I would ask "What's going on with the Chicken Coop?"  Haven't heard anything in a while and was just wondering.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #93 on: February 09, 2010, 01:09:22 pm »
    The last weekend of January had some sunny hours. I attached the hardware cloth to the bottom of the shed/coop-to-be. I then reassembled the planter next to the coop-to-be and moved the uncomposted remains of a couple compost piles into the temporary planter. (The compost piles were in two of the garden beds.) This is the planter from a previous post that I suspect will eventually become a walkway for the chickens and me. In the meantime it will make a good place to compost away from the garden beds. (I did not download the new photos so an old one will have to do.  ;))

I found some unused insulation at the back of the shed/coop-to-be that I will be able to use between the roof rafters. I moved some items out of the shed but still have a lot to do inside the shed.

The first weekend of February: I spent most of Saturday working on a computer belonging to a relative. It was cold and rainy most of Sunday.

During the week I leave for work just after the sun rises and return home around sunset. Therefore not much gets done outside during the week at this time of the year.

Offline B-Kay 1325

• Tucson, Az
      • View Profile
    « Reply #94 on: February 09, 2010, 07:59:58 pm »
    Thank you for the up-date.  I don't know anything about raising chickens but have found this thread to be very entertaining.  I can hardly wait until you tell us that you have actually put some chickens in the new coop.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #95 on: February 09, 2010, 09:57:38 pm »
    I think it will be at about a month before I can order the chicks. I think I will put a comfy chair in the coop so that I can read to the chicks from my K2.  ;D

Since the base of the planter is already in place, I decided to restack the concrete blocks to use as a temporary compost bin. Some brush piles and uncomposted items from a couple compost piles have been consolidated. The blocks placed sideways are so that nothing will fall into the holes when lifting a wheelbarrow full of stuff over the side. I also found some ancient bags of dehydrated squash chips to add to the compost pile. (I think I dehydrated those over 5 years ago; definitely stale!)

Furring strips were used to finish the edges of the hardware cloth blocking rodent access to the space between the 4x4 joists under the shed. (There is a large tumbleweed in the background of this picture that will eventually be composted. Tumbleweeds compost easily but have a lot of seeds. Fortunately the little tumbleweed plants are easy to identify and pull in a garden. When very small they are also tasty immediately after pulled up.  ;D However wilted tumbleweed plants are hazardous to eat due to the possible existence of alkaloids.)

I use a homemade sifter to separate composted from uncomposted items. (The expanded metal screen is similar to those used to protect screen doors.) DH made this for me more than 25 years ago to separate pieces of caliche from the rest of the soil when I was gardening in Tucson. The length of the legs in back was to allow the screen to be supported over a wheelbarrow while using the front handles for shaking the soil through the screen. It turned out to be much faster to just prop the screen over where the soil should go, throw the dirt at the slanted screen, and let the larger pieces (rocks, sticks, etc.) fall down the front to be scooped up.

Offline Carol Hanrahan

• So. Cal.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #96 on: February 10, 2010, 11:09:39 pm »
    Annalog,
    Great to see your progress.  I've been gone for 3 weeks - but you've been busy!  Can't wait to see the little chicks!  :D

Carol Hanrahan

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #97 on: February 14, 2010, 05:36:59 pm »

This weekend I was able to empty the shed (or at least clear the floor :D). I tried to sweep out the dust but it was too fine so I used a ShopVac to remove the dust and spider webs. I talked with a local feed store owner and verified that March/April was the best time here to raise chicks. I also checked that bleach would be fine to use on those areas where there appears to have been mold or mildew. The first picture shows looking into the shed to the back wall (north) and the next shows the front wall with the door (south). I think we will only need to add insulation to the ceiling, the south wall and door, and between the studs of the south 4 feet of the east and west walls. Since the chickens will not have access to those areas, I won't need to worry yet about protecting the insulation from the chickens. Also, this is the area that will receive the majority of the summer heat. If I need to insulate any walls in the chicken area, it will be the east wall with the window.

I stapled the hardware cloth to the top of the threshold and on the floor along the inside. The door now closes easily from the inside as well as from the outside.  :D

I will need to screen the inside opening of the turbine fan with hardware cloth to keep curious chickens away. I love how no rain comes in this opening. :D The two light fixtures and the lower shelf will be moved into the bigger shed. The upper shelf will stay but I will probably need to screen out the chickens. I am thinking of having doors hinged from the rafters and attaching to the bottom front edge of the shelf when closed and to the rafters when open. I will still need to screen in the ends of the shelves and extend the shelves into the areas between the 2x4 studs (or at least block those areas with hardware cloth).

Offline Carol Hanrahan

• So. Cal.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #98 on: February 19, 2010, 09:05:33 pm »
    Annalog, will you be working more on the chicken palace this weekend?

Do you place an order for the chicks, or just get them from the feed store?

Carol Hanrahan

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #99 on: February 20, 2010, 06:59:55 am »
    I am not sure how much I will get done on the chicken palace this weekend or next. I am leaving for town in a couple minutes to donate blood at the Red Cross followed by working on a computer for a relative. Tomorrow my mom, sister, and I will be participating in a charity walk. Next weekend is Matsuri (A Festival of Japan) in Phoenix where I will be helping teach origami in the booth and helping with the origami exhibit.

I am planning on ordering the chicks. If everything works out, maybe I will get a couple turkey poults from the feed store next year.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement