Author Topic: Mystery/Thriller Oldies Being enKindled  (Read 594 times)  

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Terra firma
    • View Profile
Mystery/Thriller Oldies Being enKindled
« on: February 08, 2014, 10:54:28 pm »
Looking over the books being issued in the next three months, I see several series being re-issued that are of some interest to me, and possibly one or two people here. It appears that most of Leslie Charteries' Saint books are being issued shortly at $4.00 each (many are available for Prime Lending).

The Saint books are definitely in the pulp-magazine crime/thriller genre, at least until fairly late in the series. Published between 1928 and 1970, the series follows the adventures of Simon Templar, called the Saint because of the drawing of stick-figures with a halo that he leaves as calling cards. There have been at least three TV series and a half-dozen movies made of his adventures. All good fun. The early Saint TV series with Roger Moore probably is closest to the book character. The latest movie with Val Kilmer was not recognizable as a Saint picture.

Also being published as ebooks are many of Gladys Mitchell's Mrs. Bradley series. Mrs. Bradley is an interesting character. She's not all that likable, being described (as Wikipedia puts it):

Bradley is often described in reptilian terms: a deadly serpent basking in the sun or of an alligator smiling gently while birds removed animal irritants from its armoured frame; or a hag-like pterodactyl. Perhaps the most amusing description is to be found in Dead Mens Morris (1936), where she has the maternal anxiety of a boa-constrictor which watches its young attempting to devour their first donkey!

Not your average detective, but very entertaining. Mrs. Bradley appears in 66 novels, published from 1929 to 1984. These books were wildly popular in the UK, but little known to mystery readers in the US.

There was a one-series UK TV show in the nineties starring Diana Rigg as Mrs. Bradley (in a truly mind-boggling case of miscasting) that was entertaining, despite being nothing like the book character. Theses books are priced at $4.00 each also, and many are available for Prime Lending (some are available now).

Give these series a try for something a bit different.

Mike

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Tony Richards

• "A master of the art" - Black Static magazine
      • View Profile
      • Tony Richards -- Dark Fantasy Author
    Re: Mystery/Thriller Oldies Being enKindled
    « Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 04:05:14 pm »
    I don't know the other books, but it would be great to see The Saint -- by Leslie Charteris -- back. Moore always was a far better Simon Templar -- initials ST, geddit? -- than he was a Bond.

Offline Nancy Beck

• NJ
    • Rest, my sweet Sammy (2000-12)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 04:22:14 pm »
    Looking over the books being issued in the next three months, I see several series being re-issued that are of some interest to me, and possibly one or two people here. It appears that most of Leslie Charteries' Saint books are being issued shortly at $4.00 each (many are available for Prime Lending).

The Saint books are definitely in the pulp-magazine crime/thriller genre, at least until fairly late in the series. Published between 1928 and 1970, the series follows the adventures of Simon Templar, called the Saint because of the drawing of stick-figures with a halo that he leaves as calling cards. There have been at least three TV series and a half-dozen movies made of his adventures. All good fun. The early Saint TV series with Roger Moore probably is closest to the book character. The latest movie with Val Kilmer was not recognizable as a Saint picture.

Hadn't realized the books lasted to 1970. :)

I've seen a lot of movie ones from the 1930s-1940s, first with George Sanders, and always found them a lot of fun! :D Thanks for bringing these to my attention - it would be interesting to see how closely (or not) the films were to any of the books. The price sounds reasonable too.
    All also available at Smashwords.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Card-carrying melodrama villain
      • View Profile
      • All about me....<hee hee>
    « Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 04:45:49 pm »
    I've always heard of The Saint, but literally have never been exposed to any of it. I will have to give some of these try. Mrs. Bradley might even be worth a go.
    "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
    • KB Member #43
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 05:08:11 pm »
    Here's an article about some backlist books from the '70s being released as eBooks.
    http://online.wsj.com/news/article_email/SB10001424052702303743604579352642248698628-lMyQjAxMTA0MDAwMzEwNDMyWj
    em
    Kindling since August 2008, 2nd & 1st gen Oasis, 2 Fire HD6s, iPad Mini for PDFs

• Terra firma
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 06:02:52 pm »
    Hadn't realized the books lasted to 1970. :)

I believe that most of the later ones were TV scripts which were adapted under the guidance of Charteris, who performed the last pass on the writing to ensure an authentic voice. The character had changed from a buccaneering type who never let the law stand in his way to a more conventional detective/thriller type of character by the time the TV series came along. I think the first of these novelizations was The Fiction Makers, published in 1969. In this mix were several "collaborations" with the likes of Harry Harrison and Fleming Lee (some earlier than 1969).

If I'm not mistaken, I read a preface by Charteris explaining that he had retired from writing, but realized that the character was still popular and allowed different writers to take up the actual chore of writing the books/stories. But he had final approval.

Mike

• Terra firma
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 06:04:08 pm »
    Mrs. Bradley might even be worth a go.

Mrs. Bradley is a hoot, as we used to say at the dawn of civilization.  ;D

Mike

KBoards.com

• Advertisement