Author Topic: First submission to BookBub turned down.  (Read 1034 times)  

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
First submission to BookBub turned down.
« on: March 06, 2014, 10:02:39 am »
I submitted Fallen Palm five days ago. It's currently ranked in the top 9000 in Kindle sales, the top 100 in action/adventure mysteries and the top 10 in sea adventures.

In retrospect, maybe I was too adamant about the run date. I wanted it on Friday, 3/28, but added the flexibility to have it run the Friday before or Friday after.

Next submission, I'll pick a date four weeks out and be completely flexible.
My Bestselling, 18-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  5-volume Charity Styles Series, also bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, wherever books are sold. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
Wayne Stinnett | Website | Facebook | Amazon Author Page | Twitter | Talk Write Podcast | Ship's Store

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Sonya Bateman

• View Profile
      • All 3 Editing
    Re: First submission to BookBub turned down.
    « Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 10:05:08 am »
    I think that's a good strategy. Scheduling flexibility really seems to be the key to getting into BookBub (besides good covers, good reviews, a steep discount, and all that other stuff. :D)

No one ever knows which dates they already have scheduled, so it seems you can really increase your chances by saying "You're BookBub! I'll take whatever date I can get!"

Good luck!  :)
    Good, fast, and cheap editing. PM me for details or visit https://blackratchetstudios.wixsite.com/all3editing

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 10:26:09 am »
    Keep submitting! What price did you submit it at?

Also, have you considered updating your cover? The red on the blue is hard to read (and would probably be harder in Black and White). Also the stock art picture doesn't appear to be the right resolution?

Congrats on being 9000 in sales! That's awesome!

I write books about Change, Chaos, and Loki
    C. Gockel | Website

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 01:35:32 pm »
    "You're BookBub! I'll take whatever date I can get!"

Exactly my thoughts.

Keep submitting! What price did you submit it at?

Also, have you considered updating your cover? The red on the blue is hard to read (and would probably be harder in Black and White). Also the stock art picture doesn't appear to be the right resolution?

Congrats on being 9000 in sales! That's awesome!

Regular price is $2.99 and I discounted it to $.99. I know the cover could be improved and since I don't have any immediate need for that $260 now, I'm going to use it for a cover update. Yes, the resolution was low, only 280 dpi. It was my first attempt at a cover. A graphics artist did the second and he and a photographer teamed up to do the third. I think I'll have him see if he can boost the resolution and make the font style size and location exactly the same across all three.
    My Bestselling, 18-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  5-volume Charity Styles Series, also bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, wherever books are sold. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
    Wayne Stinnett | Website | Facebook | Amazon Author Page | Twitter | Talk Write Podcast | Ship's Store

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
    • Destroyer of Science Fiction
      • View Profile
      • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
    « Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 01:55:55 pm »
    Wayne, mate, I'm sorry and I've wanted to say this for a while, but you're making good money, please update that god-awful cover. Bookbub is not going to accept it like this.

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 02:04:05 pm »
    Hey Wayne Stinnett,

It might be worth the $260. You might be able to get a deal if you help the designer find the images (finding images takes the longest). Maybe this one would work: http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-photo-4488664-surviving.php?st=63bdc6b

You can find lots of bullets on that site! I'd make the text a shade lighter than the bullets/put a little bit of a blue shadow behind the copy (one that faded into the background) and use the same font your designer used on the other book in the series (are they part of the series?)

Anyway, those are just my thoughts. I'm a web-designer, not a cover designer though. I design my covers, and I think they break some rules of cover design (They're difficult to explain!)

Anyway...definitely try the BB thing again.

C. Gockel | Website

Offline 60169

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 02:10:11 pm »
    I've often wondered how much or how little your current sales ranking has to do with BB acceptance. I submitted my first book last week. Although it's been a good seller for 18 months, I haven't done any promo on it for a long time and it had sunk down into the 140K range. I have a friend who submitted a book in the sub-10K range right now. They accepted mine and turned his down.

FWIW, I did the things you talked about - I sent a Countdown Promo with the maximum # of days and let them pick any date during that span that might work. Also, my book works within three different categories, so I let them choose whatever cat worked best for them. I think that probably played a part in the acceptance.

You can submit again in two weeks. I'll bet with your good sales and good reviews, you'll get picked up, especially if you elect to have a new cover.

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 03:01:14 pm »
    You can submit again in two weeks. I'll bet with your good sales and good reviews, you'll get picked up, especially if you elect to have a new cover.

What he said. Don't give up. My first sale with BB was completely and utterly worth it. My sales still haven't dropped down to what they were before I had the promo. (Not that I'm a big seller, but every little bit helps, right?) I had people who told me 6 months after my promo they finally read my book and then had to pick up the rest in the series right away.

C. Gockel | Website

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 03:57:12 pm »
    Wayne, mate, I'm sorry and I've wanted to say this for a while, but you're making good money, please update that god-awful cover. Bookbub is not going to accept it like this.

Thanks Patty. I guess I'll stick to writing and leave the cover designs to the pro's. My graphics artist friend is going to do all three, same font size, style, and layout across all three, with only slightly different color font for $150. He's moving my name to the top as some on here have suggested, offsetting the title the same way on all three and placing it in the same exact place on all three, and changing the subtitle to "Jesse McDermitt Series" and placing that at the bottom. The bullets will be gone.

I've often wondered how much or how little your current sales ranking has to do with BB acceptance.

None. This was my first foray into any kind of advertising, unless you count hawking them on Twitter and Facebook to my friends.

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
    • Destroyer of Science Fiction
      • View Profile
      • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
    « Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 04:01:52 pm »
    The resolution on the image is way too low, giving it a fuzzy, pixelated appearance. That alone is enough ground for rejection by many sites. If you used the same image, but your friend improved the typography (with or without bullets, and I think the bullets are kinda cool, so why not keep them), it would already be miles better.

Offline Justawriter

• MA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 04:37:14 pm »
    Wayne,

Did you do a free run on that book recently? If so, that may be why they said no. They want you to be at a higher price for 90 days before they will run it at a discount. Maybe that was it?

Or could just be that they're so picky. They only take 20% of those that apply. I've been rejected as well and had high rankings and good reviews. Will keep trying.

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 05:04:34 pm »
    Wayne,

Did you do a free run on that book recently? If so, that may be why they said no. They want you to be at a higher price for 90 days before they will run it at a discount. Maybe that was it?

Or could just be that they're so picky. They only take 20% of those that apply. I've been rejected as well and had high rankings and good reviews. Will keep trying.

Last free run was in December, I think. It's gotta be the cover and my inflexibility. I can fix both of those real easy.

Semper Gumby!!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement