Author Topic: How long should I expect personal content to take to be converted and delivered?  (Read 2391 times)  

Offline Philipw2

• View Profile
Yesterday morning I sent two documents that I had converted to .doc to my kindle email address ([email protected]) to be converted and shipped and have still received nothing.  Yesterday afternoon I resent one of the articles to the [email protected] to see if there was something wrong.  I have yet to receive it.

I am able to download from the Kindle store so the connection is ok.  What are other peoples experiences on converting articles through the email service?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    Couple of thoughts:

First, go to Manage your Kindle at amazon and make sure you got the name of your Kindle address correctly.  I once tried to send something and forgot that I'd changed the e-mail address and sent it to the wrong address.  Oops.  Made a contact entry in my e-mail program so it'll pop up automatically and correctly now.

While you're there, make sure the e-mail address you're sending FROM is an allowed address.  I have several addresses but use the same e-mail client for all.  On one computer the default is address A, on the other it's address B.  Why?  Who knows!  It just ended up that way.  But when I sent something and it didn't go I realized I's sent it from the wrong address.  So I went and added both addresses to my Kindle 'allowed' list so it wouldn't be a problem in the future.

If both those are o.k. you should see in the list to the right that it's either pending or been sent.  Either way, but especially if showing sent but you don't see it, I suggest a soft reset (ALT - UPARROW - R pressed all at once) and see if that brings them in. I've had success with that when I've gotten up and my newspaper isn't here yet.

Good Luck,
    Ann
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Global Moderator
    • Maine, USA
    • Kindle Paperwhite for Dummies available now!
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    Make sure your Whispernet is on when you send the email. In my experience, personal documents don't get queued like books and samples do. If the Kindle is not ready to receive the email, it just goes poof! never to be seen again.

L

Leslie Nicoll

asordu

Just to answer the last part of your question, I send a lot of stuff for conversion and they generally come back within 2 minutes or less. The longest I've waited was about 10 minutes, but that has only happened once or twice.

Offline Philipw2

• View Profile
    Thanks.  I checked the manage your kindle page and realized there was an error in the address I was sending from.

So I resent the 2 articles and immediately got back error messages telling me to make sure that my document was a doc, html or txt and unprotected. 

My documents were docs that I had cut and pasted from the web and had saved as a doc.  Largely text with minor styling.  Is there something special in the creation of the txt, doc or html files that I should be conscious of?

I certainly didn't encrypt or password protect.

Does the way you attach the document matter?  I was in word and went file|send to|mailrecipient as attachment.

Thanks

Offline Philipw2

• View Profile
    I played around some more and got them to convert. 

It makes a difference in how you format the doc file.

I cut the content of a Word file and paste special as rtf content and saved that Word doc under the same name.  Kindle converter rejected the first file but accepted the second.

RTF is better than plain text as you keep some formating and line spacing.

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Global Moderator
    • Maine, USA
    • Kindle Paperwhite for Dummies available now!
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    Ah, interesting. Thanks for the update, Philip. Good to know.

L

Leslie Nicoll

KBoards.com

• Advertisement