Author Topic: Cheap or free book covers that are halfway decent?  (Read 9008 times)  

Offline Thetis

• View Profile
Re: Cheap or free book covers that are halfway decent?
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2016, 06:59:56 pm »
I have Vellum, but still pay for formatting. Yes, I could easily make a MOBI and EPUB in Vellum, but for me, the point is that my formatter also gives me a pre-formatted Word file (which passes Smashwords standards, even if I sell very little there), but that I only need to drop into InDesign and I can format a print book in less than half an hour. He does things like making sure ellipses don't get split up and changing the directions of the quotes after an em-dash and all that fiddly stuff. I just copy and paste the file, and done!

Ah, now see... print is a different beast. I hate it. I have come close to giving in because of the frustration of it and just hiring someone to format it... but I'm stubborn and usually toil over the damn Word document for hours after which I claim I'll never do a print book again. Maybe it's kinda like labor... eventually, the memory of how painful it is wears off and we're willing to go through it again.  ;D

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Rick D Hesperus

• Hudson Valley, New York
      • View Profile
      • VISION PRESS
    « Reply #101 on: April 30, 2019, 11:52:30 am »
    I am a book cover designer who offers fully custom covers for a good price but I know that not everyone is ready for my service. I hate to cut my own throat here, but I advise those who seek super cheap book covers to search on fiverr:
    https://www.fiverr.com/search/gigs?query=book covers
    Search carefully, read the comments and look at the portfolios. There are some talented people on there but not all of them are native English speakers so you may have to exert a little extra patience during the process.

Oh, and for those of you who are ready for fully custom covers, consider https://myvisionpress.com. I have designed many award winning and best selling book covers. Also, I love almost every client that I've had the pleasure to work with. Authors in general are great people, and they make my life a living HEAVEN!

Cheers,

Rick

Online Anarchist

• Methodological individualist
      • View Profile
    « Reply #102 on: April 30, 2019, 12:13:50 pm »

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #103 on: April 30, 2019, 12:29:18 pm »
    Since this thread has been necro'd, I thought I would add a warning here for anyone who uses Fiverr. Please be careful about who you hire. There have been a lot of skeevey goings-on with designers on Fiverr, some of whom use unlicensed stock pics, or just plain steal pics from websites to use on the covers they sell. If you have any doubts about the source of the stock, don't be afraid to ask to see a stock license or other proof of purchase. Any legitimate designer will understand why you're asking, and provide you with proof. Or if they use Daz for rendering their own images, they'll be able to show you a proof of purchase for the assets used.

Also, while I'm on the topic, when you're looking for a designer, don't be taken in by extreme claims. Super high prices don't always equate to super high quality. I've seen designers make grandiose claims about being in the design field for twenty years and charging $500, $600, or even more for basic photo-manip covers that look as if they were done by a beginner. I've seen designers try to claim credit for a book being on the bestseller list, when it's far more likely that it was on the bestseller list because the book got a Bookbub, or the author threw a ton of ads at it, or simply because they were a bestseller already. Of course a good cover helps to get eyes on a book, but the cover won't make the book a bestseller if it's not a decent book in the first place.

Offline RenginTumer

• Cover illustrator
      • View Profile
      • RenginTumer.com - Illustration
    « Reply #104 on: May 01, 2019, 07:19:13 am »
    This is a super interesting thread! I'm glad it's been necro'd just when I joined :D So most books I'm seeing in the sigs here would be photographic/photomanip covers. Do most of you use photographic covers for your work instead of painted ones?

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #105 on: May 01, 2019, 10:00:10 am »
    This is a super interesting thread! I'm glad it's been necro'd just when I joined :D So most books I'm seeing in the sigs here would be photographic/photomanip covers. Do most of you use photographic covers for your work instead of painted ones?

This depends a lot on genre. Romance, thriller, mystery, and suspense will be almost exclusively photo-manip, because that's the current convention of those genres. While fantasy, SF, UF, horror, and cozy mystery can go photo-manip or illustration/render.

Offline RenginTumer

• Cover illustrator
      • View Profile
      • RenginTumer.com - Illustration
    « Reply #106 on: May 01, 2019, 12:29:48 pm »
    This depends a lot on genre. Romance, thriller, mystery, and suspense will be almost exclusively photo-manip, because that's the current convention of those genres. While fantasy, SF, UF, horror, and cozy mystery can go photo-manip or illustration/render.

Sure. I was mostly asking about personal preferences I guess, since I see a lot of SF/fantasy photo-manip covers at first glance in the sigs in the thread (though admittedly I haven't looked at every page).

KBoards.com

• Advertisement