Author Topic: Babelcube Foreign Rights Translation Service?  (Read 39841 times)  

Offline TheGapBetweenMerlons

• View Profile
Re: Babelcube Foreign Rights Translation Service?
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2014, 03:42:35 pm »
Ah, forgot to ask...

The frame isn't part of the covers.

Can you clarify what you mean? When I did a "Look Inside" on a Babelcube-distributed book and looked at the cover, it showed the frame. (I'm assuming by "frame" we're talking about the thick dark cyan border.)
I do not agree to, and specifically deny, any and all claim VerticalScope might make to my content authored on this site before they bought it. I do not agree to the no-notice, modified TOS as changed by VerticalScope upon purchase and its retroactive applicability to older content.. I halted participation on the site promptly after discovering the transfer of the site to the new owners and the terms imposed by them.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
    • Kindle Scout Kahuna (2015-2018)
      • View Profile
      • MY WEBSITE
    « Reply #51 on: May 26, 2014, 07:01:37 am »
    All right - I've been looking at this all morning and I believe will test it out as well with one of my books. I've been dying to crack some of those foreign markets.

graysonm

« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2014, 08:51:04 am »
    Translation rates vary quite a bit from one language combination to another, depending on factors such as how common the combination is, the type of translation (literary, corporate, technical), and the standard of living in the translator's country of residence. In at least a few EU countries, there are literary translation associations that publish recommended minimum rates. In the Netherlands, that's 6.4 eurocents per word (for translations into Dutch), plus a cut of royalties.

As Ruth Nestvold pointed out, translation requires much more than just speaking two languages. Fiction translation requires the most skill of all. A good fiction translator is, first and foremost, a talented writer. There's no way around it. Do be sure to vet anyone you plan to use.

Offline Babelcube

• View Profile
    « Reply #53 on: May 27, 2014, 02:17:47 pm »
    Ah, forgot to ask...

Can you clarify what you mean? When I did a "Look Inside" on a Babelcube-distributed book and looked at the cover, it showed the frame. (I'm assuming by "frame" we're talking about the thick dark cyan border.)

Babelcube is no longer placing the frame - the blue/cyan border - around the book covers, based on feedback from authors. Keep the feedback coming! We want to create an amazing experience for everyone.

Offline LG Castillo

• Texas
      • View Profile
      • L.G. Castillo
    « Reply #54 on: May 27, 2014, 03:57:38 pm »
    Does anyone know who controls the price of the translated book? Babelcube or the author?

Offline No longer seen

• USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #55 on: May 28, 2014, 04:28:07 am »
    Author.

Offline hedonist6

• View Profile
    « Reply #56 on: May 28, 2014, 05:04:38 am »
    Babelcube is no longer placing the frame - the blue/cyan border - around the book covers, based on feedback from authors. Keep the feedback coming! We want to create an amazing experience for everyone.

OMG really? This would make me so happy.

Offline LG Castillo

• Texas
      • View Profile
      • L.G. Castillo

Offline erikhanberg

• Tacoma, WA
    • Author, Parks Commissioner
      • View Profile
    « Reply #58 on: June 12, 2014, 01:07:45 pm »
    Just wanted to say that two of my books now have sales panes on them.

I've sold one copy of The Lead Cloak in Italian, and three copies of The Marinara Murders in Spanish. We'll see how it goes moving on, but that's more sales than I was getting in Italian or Spanish-speaking countries before!

Offline Ed Robinson

• View Profile
    « Reply #59 on: June 17, 2014, 11:32:48 am »
    All three of my books have completed translations into Spanish and Portuguese. So far a total of 4 sales through Babelcube. Translations under for Italian and Turkish.

Ed Robinson | Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter

Offline The 13th Doctor

• Here
      • View Profile
    « Reply #60 on: June 17, 2014, 01:14:15 pm »
    I've had one of my books translated into Spanish and Portuguese. I'm having trouble uploading the doc file of the second book (but Babelcube have been great and are helping me out with that).

I created the new covers for the translated books and set the price myself. And I've already made a sale (though funnily enough it was via .co.uk - I swear I didn't buy it myself! :) )

Offline PaulLev

• New York City
    • I was here three months from now.
      • View Profile
      • Paul Levinson's Infinite Regress
    « Reply #61 on: June 21, 2014, 03:46:36 pm »
    I just signed an agreement for a Romanian translation of The Plot to Save Socrates via Babelcube.

My nonfiction books have been translated by traditional publishers all over the world - Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Czech, Polish, Romanian, Macedonian, Croatian, Russian, and Turkish.  (An Arabic translation of New New Media is to be published in the summer of 2014.)

But so far, my science fiction has been translated only into Polish (two novels), and short fiction into French and Italian.

So I was pleased indeed to learn about Babelcube - it looks like it does for translation what Kindles do for independent publishing.

Offline aagarciamtz

• View Profile
    « Reply #62 on: June 28, 2014, 10:41:18 am »
    Hi friends of KBoards,
    My name is Alma Alexandra Garcia and I am an English>Spanish freelance translator, born and living in Mexico, with 16 years of experience and more than 40 books translated and published by different publishing houses. Currently, I'm participating in the translation of a book in Babelcube. My first one.
    I think it's understandable that you have concerns regarding the quality of translators that offer their translation services in Babelcube. Nevertheless, I think it's also important to notice that many experienced translators are also looking for innovative methods of offering their professional services both to editorials and to self-publishing authors. Besides, many of us are members of such sites as Proz.com, Translatorscafe.com or Translationdirectory.com.
    You can make some research to find out about the translator's experience and so be sure that your book will be translated by a professional.
    I'm sure there are many professional translators out there in Babelcube.
    I think it's a great opportunity for both authors and translators to further their works and careers.
    Thanks a lot for reading this. Hope it helps.
    Warm greetings to all,
    Alma

Offline Anne Frasier

• St. Paul, MN, rural Wisconsin
    • NYT author
      • View Profile
      • Anne's website
    « Reply #63 on: June 28, 2014, 10:51:41 am »
    thanks for reaching out here, alma!

• View Profile
    « Reply #64 on: June 28, 2014, 10:56:56 am »
    Thanks, Alma, it does help to get information about Babelcube from the translators' perspective.
    I do not agree to, and specifically deny, any and all claim VerticalScope might make to my content authored on this site before they bought it. I do not agree to the no-notice, modified TOS as changed by VerticalScope upon purchase and its retroactive applicability to older content.. I halted participation on the site promptly after discovering the transfer of the site to the new owners and the terms imposed by them.

Offline S. Elliot Brandis

• View Profile
    « Reply #65 on: June 30, 2014, 01:09:01 am »
    Are there any Spanish speakers here?

I've received an offer to translate 'Irradiated' into Spanish. The translators credentials seem very good, but I don't speak Spanish at all--and hence can't evaluate the sample translation.

Can anyone here look over a short translation (the first page of my novel) and give me their opinion of it's quality? It would be hugely appreciated.

S. Elliot Brandis | Website | Facebook | Newsletter | Twitter

Offline sarahdalton

• View Profile
      • Facebook Page
    « Reply #66 on: June 30, 2014, 01:16:06 am »
    I've just had a sample done in Portuguese. If there's anyone who could read a quick couple of pages I'd be really grateful!

Thanks!

Free and bargain YA books. Sci-fi, horror, and fantasy.
    Sarah Dalton | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline psolares

• Spain
    • English to Spanish Translator, Author, Publisher
      • View Profile
      • Pablo's Website | English>Spanish Translation Services
    « Reply #67 on: June 30, 2014, 02:55:29 am »
    Are there any Spanish speakers here?

I've received an offer to translate 'Irradiated' into Spanish. The translators credentials seem very good, but I don't speak Spanish at all--and hence can't evaluate the sample translation.

Can anyone here look over a short translation (the first page of my novel) and give me their opinion of it's quality? It would be hugely appreciated.
    Sure, send it to me. ;)
    Looking for a top-quality English to Spanish Literary Translator? Contact me at [email protected] *Reduced fees for indie authors*

Offline S. Elliot Brandis

• View Profile
    « Reply #68 on: June 30, 2014, 03:08:39 am »
    Thanks, psolares. I sent you a message. :)

S. Elliot Brandis | Website | Facebook | Newsletter | Twitter

Offline psolares

• Spain
    • English to Spanish Translator, Author, Publisher
      • View Profile
      • Pablo's Website | English>Spanish Translation Services
    « Reply #69 on: June 30, 2014, 03:21:46 am »
    ;-)
    Looking for a top-quality English to Spanish Literary Translator? Contact me at [email protected] *Reduced fees for indie authors*

Offline FeelingShred

• View Profile
    « Reply #70 on: July 13, 2014, 06:03:36 pm »
    Seems nice to the authors, but too risky for us translators. Would love to hear good news about this service from a translator. If you read this, please share your story. Registering a new account here takes 2 minutes :)

• View Profile
    « Reply #71 on: July 13, 2014, 07:34:53 pm »
    Seems nice to the authors, but too risky for us translators. Would love to hear good news about this service from a translator. If you read this, please share your story. Registering a new account here takes 2 minutes :)

If I understand correctly, the risk is that you will do work and not be paid (rather than a risk of putting money out and not being paid back). That's not a trivial risk, but it is pretty much the norm for all indie works -- books, software, music, movies, etc. It's not for everyone, but "too risky" is really a personal decision. Many people are willing to take the risk, and -- as with all risks -- you can expect that a few will do really well, more than a few will get nothing, and most will get something in between.

Offline Sycro

• View Profile
    « Reply #72 on: July 14, 2014, 03:07:37 am »
    Any update from the authors that had their books translated a couple months ago? How are sales?

Offline The 13th Doctor

• Here
      • View Profile
    « Reply #73 on: July 14, 2014, 05:32:05 am »
    Any update from the authors that had their books translated a couple months ago? How are sales?

I've got a couple of my books translated. So far, since the Spanish version of one of the books was translated and published (round about 28th June), I've sold over 100 copies on Apple. I don't understand the reasoning as I've only put up a FB post to alert people that it's out and that's it. No other marketing (well, unless you could updating my website). It's the most I've ever sold in a month, so I'm happy.  :)

Offline NoahPorter

• Portland
      • View Profile
    « Reply #74 on: July 14, 2014, 06:18:54 am »
    There needs to be a way to search through translators and be able to contact them. I can do it on ACX, but no on Babelcube. Doesn't really make sense why that isn't a feature, but until it is, Babelcube just isn't living up to its potential (for my wife and I, personally). Have had nothing but bad experiences.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement