Author Topic: Babelcube Foreign Rights Translation Service?  (Read 39893 times)  

Offline sarahdalton

• View Profile
    • Facebook Page
Re: Babelcube Foreign Rights Translation Service?
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2014, 08:09:14 am »
I have two samples from a Spanish and Italian translator. If anyone is a Spanish or Italian speaker would you mind reading 2000 words? In exchange I'd be happy to provide a free book, or to share your book/website whatever on my social media.

Drop me a message!

Thank you! :)

Free and bargain YA books. Sci-fi, horror, and fantasy.
Sarah Dalton | Website | Facebook | Twitter

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Rick Gualtieri

• NJ
    • Renaissance Geek
      • View Profile
      • RickGualtieri.com
    « Reply #76 on: July 14, 2014, 08:45:48 am »
    There needs to be a way to search through translators and be able to contact them. I can do it on ACX, but no on Babelcube. Doesn't really make sense why that isn't a feature, but until it is, Babelcube just isn't living up to its potential (for my wife and I, personally). Have had nothing but bad experiences.

Yeah, that would be nice.  I've had a couple of books sitting there for a while now with nothing but crickets.

Making fantasy fun again, one corpse at a time
    Rick Gualtieri | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Bill The Vampire on FB | YouTube

Offline abstract

• France
    • a modernist writing & translating postmodern stuff
      • View Profile
    « Reply #77 on: July 14, 2014, 10:04:16 am »
    I've just finished a job translating a SF roleplaying game book. Now that I have more time on my hands, I should get back to Babelcube to see if there are some books I'd like to translate in French  :)

Offline LeonardDHilleyII

• Author of Sci-fi Thrillers/Fantasy/Urban Fantasy
      • View Profile
    « Reply #78 on: July 20, 2014, 03:07:49 pm »
    VERY slow to respond.  I sent a query three days ago and no response, which makes me leary to trust their customer service.

Offline jamielakenovels

• Author of "The Trainer" Gay Romance Novels
      • View Profile
      • Bad Boy: Naughty At Night Book 1
    « Reply #79 on: July 20, 2014, 06:29:52 pm »
    I uploaded my books up there but now what? Do I try to reach out to translators myself or wait for them to come to me?
    Author of  

Offline starkllr

• View Profile
    « Reply #80 on: July 20, 2014, 06:42:08 pm »
    My first novel is on there, Abstract...

Hey, it's worth a shot!

What if you could see everyone else's dreams?
    J.J. DiBenedetto | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Smashwords | Goodreads

Offline abstract

• France
    • a modernist writing & translating postmodern stuff
      • View Profile
    « Reply #81 on: July 21, 2014, 02:08:38 am »
    I uploaded my books up there but now what? Do I try to reach out to translators myself or wait for them to come to me?

You wait for them to come :)
    Translators can access the list of all the books available for translation. The problem is the books are only classified by genre and title, so if a translator is looking for a specific author, he/she has to know the titles of this author's books, or click on each title since it's the only way to see who's the author.
    I must say it's all a little tedious because you only have the title and a blurb (very often it's only a sentence) in the list, and genre categories are not as specific as they are on Amazon (no subcategories in the SF/fantasy genre, so there are a lot of book titles to peruse... and they are not even in alphabetical order).

My first novel is on there, Abstract...

Hey, it's worth a shot!

I found it :) thanks to your signature and using the find feature of Firefox (no search engine on Babelcube either :-[ ). Well who knows, maybe later ;) Right now Babelcube wants me to do the whole IRS/ITIN/W7 thing. Apparently they're gonna do it for me since I have to answer the questions on the Babelcube site. I hope I'll be able to use that number when I'll selfpublish my own books on Amazon.com.
    « Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 02:11:46 am by abstract »

Offline starkllr

• View Profile
    « Reply #82 on: July 21, 2014, 11:24:41 am »
    I emailed Bablecube this morning using their feedback button with a couple of questions/thoughts, and I heard back right away.  Here's their answer about a search system so authors can actively look for translators:

"We are working on a system that will let authors search for translators, it should be available in a few weeks."

What if you could see everyone else's dreams?
    J.J. DiBenedetto | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Smashwords | Goodreads

Offline Piers Platt

• New York
      • View Profile
    « Reply #83 on: July 21, 2014, 08:23:38 pm »
    I like the concept of this, except for the fact that you have to split royalties (both with the translator and Babelcube).  I'd prefer an option like Audible has for simply paying a translator up front, then keeping 100% of royalties yourself.  To answer someone's question earlier in the thread, I believe you can achieve publishing a translated book to a specific territory by using the KDP "Territories" menu during the publishing process: https://kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=A1H1OSSLAY4B4F

Basically you'd just de-select all the territories except for the one you wanted, then continue as normal.  The obvious drawback to going that route is that you lose access to Babelcube's local retailers / other distributors outside of Amazon.  I'd be curious to know how their royalties break out across channels, though...is Amazon the dominant force outside the US, too?

Piers Platt My Newsletter My Website

Offline hedonist6

• View Profile
    « Reply #84 on: July 22, 2014, 03:18:26 am »
    I had a novelette of mine translated into Spanish, Italian and Portuguese via Babelcube in May. Mostly it's been quiet (I wouldn't know how to market in those languages), but the Italian one is consistently selling so I'm quite happy with that and am planning to list more books soon.

Offline A Tiger

• View Profile
    « Reply #85 on: July 29, 2014, 12:32:35 pm »
    Piers, the model you suggest is simply reaching out to a translator of your preference and hammering out a contract as "work-for-hire" with him/her. That way you can distribute your book to all channels you want.

Offline Piers Platt

• New York
      • View Profile
    « Reply #86 on: July 31, 2014, 04:18:08 pm »
    Piers, the model you suggest is simply reaching out to a translator of your preference and hammering out a contract as "work-for-hire" with him/her. That way you can distribute your book to all channels you want.

Yeah, exactly!  But how do you find a translator??  And then once translated, how do you publish to the local distributors in different regions (assuming they have big enough market share to make that effort worthwhile)?  Those are basically the two biggest benefits Babelcube provides, and I have no clue how to tackle either...

Piers Platt My Newsletter My Website

Offline TheGapBetweenMerlons

• View Profile
    « Reply #87 on: July 31, 2014, 04:49:42 pm »
    Yeah, exactly!  But how do you find a translator??

My first stop would be oDesk, although any freelancing site would probably be worth a look as long as it has a good user base. As for distribution and marketing of the translated versions, though, I can't help there. I have no experience doing it, in fact I recently set up one book on Babelcube to try out their service instead of doing each piece myself. (No offers from translators yet, though.)
    I do not agree to, and specifically deny, any and all claim VerticalScope might make to my content authored on this site before they bought it. I do not agree to the no-notice, modified TOS as changed by VerticalScope upon purchase and its retroactive applicability to older content.. I halted participation on the site promptly after discovering the transfer of the site to the new owners and the terms imposed by them.

Offline sarahdalton

• View Profile
      • Facebook Page
    « Reply #88 on: August 01, 2014, 06:35:42 am »
    Has anyone had this error message when trying to publish their book?

"We are sorry, an error occurred while converting the Word file, please reload this page to retry"

I can't seem to get past the second stage in publishing the book.

Offline sarahdalton

• View Profile
      • Facebook Page
    « Reply #89 on: August 01, 2014, 06:59:00 am »
    I had something similar with one of my translations. I emailed them and it got fixed pretty quickly.

Awesome. I emailed them ten minutes ago so hopefully they'll get back to me.

Offline esands

• View Profile
    « Reply #90 on: September 10, 2014, 01:07:53 am »

Sad to report that BABELCUBE is NOT what it has advertised itself to be. On the website it states that China is one of the countries that they have distribution in...that is NOT TRUE. I spoke with representatives from Babelcube several times (well actually one guy named Mark) and when I asked him pointed and direct questions about distribution in China he either could not answer my questions or told me an out right lie. I asked him if they provided their authors with ISBN numbers from Beijing which is basically one of the only ways to get distribution in China because content is so policed there and he nor anyone else on the staff could answer my question or tell me where the ISBN numbers came from. I asked them who were the retailers or distributors they worked with in China, they told me Media Corp. I contacted Media Corp and they told me blatantly in writing that they DID NOT do distribution in China and had no plans of doing so. I contacted 'Mark' at Babelcube again with my concerns and questions. I asked him if he could please just be honest with me because I found a translator to translate my book into simple Chinese (in China their written language is different than their spoken language) and the cost was pretty pricey and I didn't want to move forward if they did not truly have distribution in China. Crickets. No response. After a bunch of non-answers and a lie he went with the old radio silence. Babelcube talks a good game...but that is all it is...talk. The reason I was seeking outside translators is because I did not feel comfortable with the author/translator percentage split so Mark told me that I could have the book translated else where and then register on their site as a translator of my own material. So sad...it would have been a really cool idea if there was any truth at all to what they were offering on their website. WRITER BEWARE!!!

Offline esands

• View Profile
    « Reply #91 on: September 10, 2014, 01:32:19 am »

I had a very NEGATIVE experience with Babelcube.
    They advertise that they do distribution in China but this is NOT true. When I spoke with Mark, the representative or founder of Babelcube and i asked him simple pointed matter of fact questions about distribution in China he could NOT answer simple questions like where do they get the ISBN number from? Was it Beijing, which is basically the only place you can get an approved ISBN number to distribute in China because content is so policed there. When I asked Mark who were the distribution retailers in China he initially did not know and then told me, Media Corp. I contacted Media Corp and they told me blatantly in writing that they DO NOT distribute ebooks in China and had no plans to do so. When I contacted Mark to point out the disparity and ask him quite frankly why the company could not answer a simple question and when they did answer it turned out to be a lie, he went radio silent on me. WRITER BEWARE. Babelcube is not an honest company who does what they claim/advertise to do.

Online Lady Runa

• View Profile
    « Reply #92 on: September 10, 2014, 04:47:02 am »
    Proz.com seems to be good place to find translators. Joanna Penn wrote a blog post about marketing in German, might be a good place to start.

ProZ.com is absolutely the best place to look for a translator. I'd go as far as to say it's the ONLY place to look for a professional translator or post translation-related jobs. At least there is some quality control there.

That's something I've been meaning to say all this time: if someone calls him or herself a translator or just "speaks the language" it doesn't mean they're qualified to do the job. If they accept jobs like those offered at Babel that are paid out of royalties it simply means they're not proper professionals. It doesn't mean they're not good translators, though - they can be excellent, especially because a good literary translator is a talent and not only a skill - but professional literary translators are normally booked solid for months in advance and are paid upfront.

As an example, a few days ago I was contacted by a person (not a Babel worker) offering his translation services (don't even ask where he'd got my email address from!). He said he'd done some translating jobs in the past. He admitted that he didn't speak my language adding that he could always use an online service like Google Translate.  :o So please make sure you don't run into a character like this!
    « Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 05:06:43 am by Lady Runa »

Storyteller

Offline RebeccaCantrell

• View Profile
    « Reply #93 on: September 24, 2014, 08:27:37 am »
    I'm interested in hearing about BabelCube experiences too. I have my first book translated (A Trace of Smoke into Portuguese) today. I was very put off when BabelCube sent out that email saying that we could buy good reviews, so I'm taking this slow. I'd hate for the translators to put in a lot of work and then have poor sales so they don't get paid. The translator I worked with was very professional, and I had a native speaker check it who said the translation was solid.

Offline A Tiger

• View Profile
    « Reply #94 on: September 24, 2014, 10:32:51 am »
    I signed up for BabelCube the as soon as it begun, thinking it would be an amazing opportunity to create some stream income. But I soon realized I could not follow that path. I mean, take time from paying jobs to work on something under the promise that it might sell? With a contract were I lose the rights to my translation after 5 years? That is not enough time for the effort. Nope.
    I met an amazing KBoards writer there, and when I decided to give up on the current work, it really cost me. I hate leave people hanging. She was a wonderful person about it, though - and she had plenty of offers later, so that helped. But I left BabelCube because I don't think it's a fair system for the translator, who's the one doing the grunt work. A good translation takes time, a huge effort (even more being a literary translation, full of cultural references, innuendos, etc.), and should be rewarded no matter what, since it's a service, like editing, proofreading, etc. But I digress. What I mean to say is, giving all the trouble with BabelCube lately (royalty reports and so on), I'm happy I gave up.
    By the way (shameless plugin), I am an English to Portuguese translator, and I'm a member of ProZ, a professional website dedicated to translators. Over there you can see what former clients have to say about me: http://www.proz.com/wwa/1804171. And if you're interested in a professional translation with no strings attached, drop me a line and we can talk!
    Oh, and don't go for a professional translation at oDesk. Yes, you might luck out and find someone good and professional, but that place is mostly filled with newbies that are willing to be payed peanuts for the work. And when you give peanuts... you get monkeys.

Offline AJW

• View Profile
    « Reply #95 on: September 25, 2014, 01:22:43 pm »
    I doubt any translator who is worth his salt would work through this website. Translating a book means recreating it. It takes many, many hours of meticulous work, as well as an artist's eye to complete such a task to a high standard.
    The other thing is the copyrights issue. Translated works belong to the translator as much as the original autor. Here looms the danger of legal disputes. Indie waters may not be safe enough for these types of ships.
    « Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 01:24:44 pm by AJW »

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
      • View Profile
      • Impulse Books UK
    « Reply #96 on: November 01, 2014, 02:23:58 am »

For me, the main issues giving me reservations would be lack of quality control over the translation,

This is exactly my position, exactly. The only way my fears could be allayed, is if someone I trusted could say to me: "Mark, I have used miss xyz to translate a sci-fi book like yours into Portuguese/German/Italian, etc and it was perfect. I promise!"

Haha, because I don't know ANY languages at all but my own, and because I don't have, and never will have, an agent (because hell, I'm not big enough and I'm not looking any way) I NEED the reassurance and hand-holding to spend 10,000 ($17,000??) to get just one book professionally translated. Contrast this with my expenditure on audio (similar in that I have spent way more over my entire backlist) and you can see I am wary. I KNOW audio books because I have been a customer since Audible was founded. I know what I want to hear, how the process works, etc etc.

I wasn't scared to go in feet first, but foreign stuff scares me so bad. I know that Portuguese translations could be a huge money earner, but I cannot make myself do it. I'm too timid. I know I am. NOW is the time to do this stuff. I KNOW it in my heart, just as I knew when to do audio had come... sigh

Offline BlairErotica

• View Profile
      • My blog on writing erotica
    « Reply #97 on: November 01, 2014, 07:42:40 am »
    People I work with are doing books there and to use one in progress as an example, the translator is being proactive about asking for help understanding idiomatic phrases and discussing how the intention might be expressed in her language. I call that impressive, personally. I'm not sure the experience would be any different with any good translator, and it suggests that there are some good translators working there. Of course it doesn't mean they all are.

Offline PaulLev

• New York City
    • I was here three months from now.
      • View Profile
      • Paul Levinson's Infinite Regress
    « Reply #98 on: November 22, 2014, 04:49:58 pm »
    I had The Plot to Save Socrates translated into Romanian - by someone I already knew, and had confidence in, indeed, she was the one who suggested we do this through Babelcube.   She was extremely conscientious, questioning me about numerous idioms, etc.  The book was published last week.  Given the limited number Romanian readers - in contrast to Spanish or Portuguese - I don't expect many sales.  But, meanwhile, I have a Spanish translation of The Plot to Save Socrates just beginning via Babelcube, too (I'm awaiting the first 10 pages).

Offline deedawning

• Phoenix, AZ
      • View Profile
      • New Dawing Bookfair
    « Reply #99 on: November 22, 2014, 06:14:59 pm »
    SOme of my books are on there and ready to be published in a few weeks' time. I did get native people to proofread and they said everything looked fine. Most of the translators on there have been in the business for years, have websites, LinkedIn profiles, etc. It doesn't look like they're just scammers trying to make a quick buck. Most of the offers I've gotten are from Spanish translators, which is helpful because one of my friends is Spanish so he can check :)
    I've got one book in translation into Spanish & Italian. If it works out I have lots of other books to make available. I got Spanish covered too, but not Italian. Any Italianos out there?

Dee Dawning | Twitter | Blogger

KBoards.com

• Advertisement