Kindle Forum banner

Babelcube Foreign Rights Translation Service?

44K views 108 replies 55 participants last post by  Flying Pizza Pie 
#1 ·
Anyone heard/used this? http://www.babelcube.com

Summary: Matchmaking service to get your books translated in other languages. Think like ACX but for languages and in text, not audio. You post book, translator bids on job to translate book, you accept, they translate, BC publishes and everyone takes a cut (no up-front fees). You keep your rights. They just get option to publish/sell translated book in other markets.

We have no affiliation/association to this business. I'm just doing my due diligence on the business before I ever recommend anything. I'm testing it myself now.

#2 ·
I found Babelcube a few months ago and have been keeping an eye on it ever since. It's certainly an interesting idea and one that could be very, very useful to indie authors. I haven't seen many books produced by them just yet and am waiting to see what happens. One thing I am skeptical about is ensuring the quality of the translation. Unless you speak the language (and if you did why would you need Babelcube) how can you be sure the translation is any good? My understanding from talking to a few foreign friends is that there are a good many bad translations out there and they are very annoying to native speakers. Additionally, I've also heard that some countries have very different rules regarding who has rights to a certain property and that that can lead to some interesting problems when working with narrators and translators in those countries. My understanding is essentially that someone who puts a significant amount of labor into a project is considered part owner in that project, which I would imagine could lead to some possible legal disputes down the road. It seems like it would be safer to hire a translator in the US where such a thing wouldn't be an issue. 

Babelcube may have all of this figured out, but until I start seeing some good experiences I'm going to stay on the fence. Hope to see some soon as I would love to have a German translation of my novel done. 

~ Ian   

G
#4 ·
The sliding scale concept of the royalty split is interesting.

Hey! They appear to be in NJ. I could drive to their office! (Not that I feel the need to. Just that I could if I had to. Like, if they pulled a stunt like ACX and I wanted to "discuss" the matter in person.  :eek: :p

#6 ·
Quality of translation is something to think about. Not ready to translate my book yet, but when I do, I plan to arrange a second set of native-language eyes to ensure the quality of the work.

I have looked at the following online translator's community, and I plan to consult with them a bit before I make that move to make sure I understand the translation ropes as best I can.

http://www.translatorscafe.com/

#7 ·
SOme of my books are on there and ready to be published in a few weeks' time. I did get native people to proofread and they said everything looked fine. Most of the translators on there have been in the business for years, have websites, LinkedIn profiles, etc. It doesn't look like they're just scammers trying to make a quick buck. Most of the offers I've gotten are from Spanish translators, which is helpful because one of my friends is Spanish so he can check :)

#9 ·
I'm going to keep my eye on this. My trad published work has always sold quite well in German translation and recently, my trad published erotic romance has found a strong readership in Brazil and Italy. So readers in German, Portuguese and Italian might enjoy my shorter self published work too! :)

#13 ·
Hi Ed:

This is Mark, one of the founders of Babelcube.

Thank you for the comment about your final file only being in PDF format. We will consider making the system more flexible. However, as an immediate action, would you like to send me your file and I will see if we can convert it into a Word document for you? If so, please send it to me at info [at] babelcube [dot] com.

Best,
Mark

#15 ·
jenminkman said:
SOme of my books are on there and ready to be published in a few weeks' time. I did get native people to proofread and they said everything looked fine. Most of the translators on there have been in the business for years, have websites, LinkedIn profiles, etc. It doesn't look like they're just scammers trying to make a quick buck. Most of the offers I've gotten are from Spanish translators, which is helpful because one of my friends is Spanish so he can check :)
Jen, do you mind a couple question?

What distribution opportunities are included?

Are there any restrictions on the rightsholder's pricing flexibility?

Are there any restrictions on the copyright? Does that vary by country?

#16 ·
I'm pretty much a lurker around here, but I did put one of my books up on babelcube to try it out and I've heard nothing but crickets. It's only been a month, but I figured I'd hear something by now. Translations are expensive, but I've started inquiring outside of the service in case nothing happens with it. *shrugs*

#19 ·
Hi Patricia,
I don't have answers to all of your questions, because none of my books are live with them yet - that's gonna happen next month. I do know that they will make books available in all the Amazon stores, the other big 3 (B&N, Kobo, iTunes) as well as some other, local stores included in the Gardners ebook catalogue (it's a sort of Overdrive service, based in the UK). If you want to know more, you should probably just contact the Babelcube support team - they are very responsive and helpful! :)

#20 ·
mandyharbin said:
I'm pretty much a lurker around here, but I did put one of my books up on babelcube to try it out and I've heard nothing but crickets. It's only been a month, but I figured I'd hear something by now. Translations are expensive, but I've started inquiring outside of the service in case nothing happens with it. *shrugs*
Mandy, I think young adult and fantasy might be more popular on there with translators, because every single YA title I've published has been picked up to be translated into several languages. I also publish erotic romance under a pen name, and that has been decidedly less popular (only one of the books got picked by a Greek translator, the other ones are still waiting for some attention :) )

#21 ·
Bards and Sages (Julie) said:
The sliding scale concept of the royalty split is interesting.

Hey! They appear to be in NJ. I could drive to their office! (Not that I feel the need to. Just that I could if I had to. Like, if they pulled a stunt like ACX and I wanted to "discuss" the matter in person. :eek: :p
Whereabouts? I'm sure they're not out my way, lol (I'm not far from Pennsylvania).

#23 ·
How does this work for those of us who already have (the English versions of) our books up on Amazon.fr, Amazon.de, etc?

I understand that Babelcube distributes through Amazon, so do they put up a separate, translated edition of the book, or does the translated edition replace the English version?

#24 ·
I have a Portuguese and Italian translation of The Lead Cloak in the works through Babelcube. And The Marinara Murders is being translated into Spanish.

For each of them, I found a native speaker to review the first 10 pages of the translated text, and they each gave a recommendation. The translators themselves seem to be very good. None of the books are finished, but I have received emails from them from time to time to clear up questions about the English I use.

I've been very happy with the service so far!

#25 ·
starkllr said:
How does this work for those of us who already have (the English versions of) our books up on Amazon.fr, Amazon.de, etc?

I understand that Babelcube distributes through Amazon, so do they put up a separate, translated edition of the book, or does the translated edition replace the English version?
The other language version is a separate book with its own ASIN. So you don't lose the ability to sell the English language version. And if you get translators in other languages, it just keeps adding up.

#26 ·
Thank you, Jen and Sibel!

Contacting them for more answers is on the To-Do List o' Doom. Sigh.

PayPal issue might do me in. PayPal hates me, and it's mutual. They messed up my account so badly that about 2 years ago now I spent hours and hours and hours on the phone with them working my way up the phone tree until I had someone fairly high up, who said the only solution he saw was to get a new Social Security number. You can't be serious, said I. If you want a PayPal account, I am, said he.

Not a word I use a lot, but I was gobsmacked. Haven't had an account with them since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.