Author Topic: Publishing Services: Proofreading, Copyediting, and Developmental Editing  (Read 1351 times)  

Offline Alex Kane

• Galesburg, Illinois
  • Author. Critic. Freelancer.
    • View Profile
    • alexkanefiction.com

As a full-time professional copyeditor and proofreader, my job is to help you make your book, essay, or short story as good as it can be before its published. My rates are hourly and may vary depending on the type of editing desired, but Im offering to give prospective clients a free, hands-on consultation up front using a sample portion of the authors manuscript.

Website: alexkanefiction.com | Email: [email protected] | Phone: 309.221.1160

As a full-time professional copyeditor and proofreader, my job is to help you make your book, essay, or short story as good as it can be before it's published. My rates are hourly and may vary depending on the type of editing desired, but I'm offering to give prospective clients a free, hands-on consultation up front using a sample portion of the author's manuscript.

That means that I will never ask an independent publisher to sign a contract until she has seen a reasonable demonstration of my work. In addition, an author or publisher may request an upgrade at any point during the process, provided an appropriate deadline extension can be given for the sake of the project's completion.

My areas of expertise include genre novels and short fiction, essays, memoir, academic writing, video game journalism and tie-in fiction, film and television reviews, technology and futurism, and the publishing industry--but I am willing to consult with any author on any manuscript, however research-intensive it may be.

If you have any further, specific questions about my editorial services, it's best to contact me via e-mail. I am also on Twitter.

Proofreading

Proofreading involves a micro-level edit, often done after initial developmental editing or any number of rewrites, and is meant to catch last-minute mistakes such as the following:

typographical errors
misuse of punctuation
inappropriate or confusing diction
misspellings
repeated or omitted words

Copyediting

This sort of sentence-level edit is an essential component of every quality publication. In order to keep the reader engaged, it's important to be mindful of both clarity and style. A copyeditor like myself uses the industry-standard, in-document Track Changes function in programs like Microsoft Word and Pages, along with reading troublesome passages aloud, to tidy up the author's use of the following:

grammatical errors
stylistic inconsistencies
confusing or convoluted syntax
individual voice
repetition of words or phrases
glaring inconsistencies
awkward-sounding passages
wordiness
everything addressed in the proofreading service

Development Editing

I will likely be selective about taking on these sorts of projects, due to the time commitment involved, but developmental editing is, for some, as much a part of the writing process as the actual act of producing a finished draft--and often the most important.

This is the ultimate full-service package, designed for the self-published author aiming to soar above the competition.

If you're unsure whether or not your manuscript is ready for line-by-line edits, or whether or not a work is successful in its overall goal to communicate a particular set of ideas effectively, it's likely that the manuscript requires some developmental feedback--including big-picture suggestions for improvement like the following:

fictional plot and character arcs
thematic resonance
tone, narrative voice, and structure
logical inconsistencies and fact-checking
relevant research
point-of-view
worldbuilding
publishing and marketing strategies
everything included in the proofreading and copyediting services

Ready to get your latest book or article publication-ready?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 09:12:50 pm by Alex Kane »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Librarian

• The Library
      • View Profile
      • KBoards
    Alex,

Welcome to Kboards!

You're welcome to promote your business and website here in the Writers' Cafe, but we ask that the same basic rules be followed as we have for authors in the Book Bazaar:  you may have one thread about your service and must post to it rather than start a new thread each time.  New threads about the service wil be removed.  Please bookmark this thread so that you can find it again to post to.  And, you may not make back-to-back posts to the thread within seven days.  If someone responds (such as this post), you may reply but otherwise must wait seven days, thanks!

Betsy
    KBoards Moderator
    (I'm not the Librarian, I just play one on TV.)

Offline laurelwaiton

• View Profile
    Nice information regarding proofreading service

KBoards.com

• Advertisement