Author Topic: Media Carnivores! A new podcast  (Read 304 times)  

Offline erikhanberg

• Tacoma, WA
  • Author, Parks Commissioner
    • View Profile
Media Carnivores! A new podcast
« on: May 08, 2014, 06:52:10 pm »
Cool news! I'm working with author Brent Hartinger on a new author podcast called "Media Carnivores," where we talk all things media.

Here's our first episode: http://mediacarnivores.com/episode-001-media-carnivores-relatively-frank/

My hope with this is that by talking not just about our own work, but about popular things in media (like Game of Thrones and Orphan Black) that we can expand a base of listeners and maybe eventually turn them into readers.

Hopefully that will be another side effect of working with another author. Brent's first novel, Geography Club, was made into a movie last year (with Scott Bakula!) and he's got a lot more access to media, so there might be a small halo effect for me. I've been intrigued with podcasting because it is an opportunity to reach people outside of Facebook. While I think there can be some good Facebook marketing opportunities, I like the idea of developing news ways to reach an audience outside of the proprietary systems of any single company platform. Podcasting and email seem like two great ways to do that.

So. It could be a good marketing tool over the long term! But in the short-run, if you're interested in the subject matter, I hope you'll check it out.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Brooklyn Gesher

• Author & Book Cover Art Designer
      • View Profile
      • Drama Queen Story Studio
    Re: Media Carnivores! A new podcast
    « Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 09:24:04 pm »
    Cool news! I'm working with author Brent Hartinger on a new author podcast called "Media Carnivores," where we talk all things media.

Here's our first episode: http://mediacarnivores.com/episode-001-media-carnivores-relatively-frank/

My hope with this is that by talking not just about our own work, but about popular things in media (like Game of Thrones and Orphan Black) that we can expand a base of listeners and maybe eventually turn them into readers.

Hopefully that will be another side effect of working with another author. Brent's first novel, Geography Club, was made into a movie last year (with Scott Bakula!) and he's got a lot more access to media, so there might be a small halo effect for me. I've been intrigued with podcasting because it is an opportunity to reach people outside of Facebook. While I think there can be some good Facebook marketing opportunities, I like the idea of developing news ways to reach an audience outside of the proprietary systems of any single company platform. Podcasting and email seem like two great ways to do that.

So. It could be a good marketing tool over the long term! But in the short-run, if you're interested in the subject matter, I hope you'll check it out.

I was listening to the SPP when I heard Podcast Answer Man say that authors should start podcasts following the popular shows that are in their genre to convert listeners to readers.  I have a fairly popular podcast for a really popular show...I can't say whether or not that contributed to my book making sales or not.  The podcast is fun to do and it's always nice to chat with someone who has the same interests as you do as far as media/television.  I chose one show, though as that's what is searched for and not a general name for a variety of shows.  I wish you luck on the podcast! Have a lot of fun! :)
    Brooklyn Gesher | Drama Queen Story Studio

Offline erikhanberg

• Tacoma, WA
    • Author, Parks Commissioner
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 07:13:52 am »
    Jada,

How often do you podcast? Have you had the podcast when you've had a new release? I think there's a lot of potential here! I'm just trying to figure out the possibilities and opportunities.

Offline Brooklyn Gesher

• Author & Book Cover Art Designer
      • View Profile
      • Drama Queen Story Studio
    « Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 09:02:57 pm »
    Jada,

How often do you podcast? Have you had the podcast when you've had a new release? I think there's a lot of potential here! I'm just trying to figure out the possibilities and opportunities.

I post each week the show is in season. We generally have an hour long recap based on story, plot, character motivations, etc.  It helped me literally figure out how I wanted to write my books.  I have 4 people on my show with me and two teams.  The teams rotate each week to dissect an episode.  It is an interesting time. I am planning a different podcast with another author from that podcast around writing. We have 3 panelists(co-hosts) outside of she and I for that one thus far.  We are looking for one more.  I'm excited to start it.
    Brooklyn Gesher | Drama Queen Story Studio

KBoards.com

• Advertisement