Author Topic: Free First in Series on Kobo  (Read 80781 times)  

Offline valeriec80

• View Profile
    • V. J. Chambers, author
Re: Free First in Series on Kobo
« Reply #250 on: October 21, 2014, 06:27:11 am »
I've just set Slow Burn to free, so I thought I'd submit that:

http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebook/slow-burn-1

This is a romance title.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline joncrocker

• Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
      • View Profile
      • Jonathan Crocker - Independent Writer
    « Reply #251 on: October 21, 2014, 11:48:09 am »
    Hi Mark,

The first book in my fantasy series is free:

http://store.kobobooks.com/en-CA/ebook/a-dream-of-hope-and-sorrow-1

Thanks for the opportunity!

Jonathan Crocker | my website

Offline hardnutt

• Norfolk, England
      • View Profile
      • Why Didn't They Ask Evand?
    « Reply #252 on: October 21, 2014, 03:09:21 pm »
    Mark,

I posed a question about my free first in series back on 8 October, but I've yet to have a response from you.

Any chance of you coming back on here some time soon to respond?

'Evans' series has stand out central characters and clever plots.' AUNT AGATHA'S BOO
    Geraldine Evans | website/blog | newsletter sign up | facebook | linkedin | twitter | [url=https://www.goodrea

Kitten

« Reply #253 on: October 23, 2014, 03:13:59 am »
    Hi Mark

I recently set one of my books to permafree. I'd like to submit it for you:

http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebook/lucy-s-wish-bluebell-book-1-2

I previously mentioned my permafree book Myriad. I'm not sure if it was ever included:

http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebook/myriad-prentor-book-1-3

Offline S.K. Falls

• Charleston, USA
    • Fueled by sarcasm and tea.
      • View Profile
      • S.K. Falls
    « Reply #254 on: October 23, 2014, 09:30:11 am »
    Thanks so much for this opportunity! I'd love to submit the first book in my Fevered Souls series. The series consists of four books, and is complete (and, of course, all are available on Kobo).

Offline theaatkinson

• Canada
    • Fiction to the Left of Mainstream
      • View Profile
      • GonzoInk
    « Reply #255 on: October 23, 2014, 02:52:11 pm »
    Phoenix (Theta Waves epidode 1) is FREE on Kobo.

http://store.kobobooks.com/en-CA/ebook/phoenix-23

Fiction to the left of Mainstream| Phoenix is FREE
    Thea Atkinson | get more freebies

Offline Randall Wood

• View Profile
    « Reply #256 on: October 24, 2014, 09:44:48 am »

Offline Ros_Jackson

• View Profile
    « Reply #257 on: October 26, 2014, 06:30:05 pm »
    Hey guys, can someone explain how this all works? I have a couple of books in the Free first in series thing, but unless I am blind, there is no page or drop down menu for FINDING them?? My books can be found by direct link from my site, or clicking on my name when at Kobo's store as usual, but is there any actual promotion for this idea?

This page: http://store.kobobooks.com/Collection/free-ebooks

As far as I can tell, it's far easier to find that page through search engines than it is to find it on the site. I can't figure out how to navigate to it otherwise.

Ros Jackson | author website | blog | twitter | goodreads

Offline LoriP

• View Profile
    « Reply #258 on: October 30, 2014, 11:53:59 am »
    deleted...
    « Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 03:56:19 pm by LoriP »

Offline Brian Olsen

• New York City
      • View Profile
      • Brian Olsen
    « Reply #259 on: November 04, 2014, 06:43:30 am »
    Hello! I just made my first book in my series perma-free and would love to be included. The book is Alan Lennox and the Temp Job of Doom.

http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebook/alan-lennox-and-the-temp-job-of-doom

Brian Olsen | website | tumblr | facebook | twitter | goodreads

Offline LG Castillo

• Texas
      • View Profile
      • L.G. Castillo
    « Reply #260 on: November 28, 2014, 06:34:47 am »
    I want to thank Mark for this post and for putting one of my books (Strong & Wilde) on the Free First in Series landing page. Since the book was posted, I've made more on follow through sales in one month than I had made in an entire year on Kobo. wow!

Thanks again, Mark!!!

http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebook/strong-wilde

Offline Mark Leslie

• Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
      • View Profile
      • Mark Leslie's Website
    « Reply #261 on: November 28, 2014, 07:10:07 am »
    Delighted to hear that, Linda. Just an FYI that we have modified the naming of the page to free ebooks rather than free first in series (because we're working with others at Kobo to try to get this feature a more prominent feature spot and help authors find even MORE new customers at Kobo.  But we know that the series books tend to work BEST in terms of helping authors boost sales, so most of the books included are ones that are part of a series (not necessarily the first, but a good "hook" for readers who fall in love with the characters/world/setting etc.

http://www.kobo.com/free-ebooks

This link (and a half dozen other variants of it) - all link to the same place.

FYI, for 2015 we're in the process of designing the building of a direct tool within Kobo Writing Life (www.kobo.com/writinglife) that prompts to see if you want to be included in a free feature right there - so it'd be as easy as clicking a button and confirming the time the book will be free (or if it's permanent) to assist with our scheduling - and within the dashboard you'll be able to see if a title is being included in a feature spot to assist with your tracking and analysis of how the free promotion is working.  :)

I want to thank Mark for this post and for putting one of my books (Strong & Wilde) on the Free First in Series landing page. Since the book was posted, I've made more on follow through sales in one month than I had made in an entire year on Kobo. wow!

Thanks again, Mark!!!

http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebook/strong-wilde
    Mark Leslie   / www.markleslie.ca  / markleslie.blogspot.com / @MarkLeslie

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
      • View Profile
      • Impulse Books UK
    « Reply #262 on: November 28, 2014, 07:19:43 am »
    Delighted to hear that, Linda. Just an FYI that we have modified the naming of the page to free ebooks rather than free first in series (because we're working with others at Kobo to try to get this feature a more prominent feature spot and help authors find even MORE new customers at Kobo.  But we know that the series books tend to work BEST in terms of helping authors boost sales, so most of the books included are ones that are part of a series (not necessarily the first, but a good "hook" for readers who fall in love with the characters/world/setting etc.

http://www.kobo.com/free-ebooks

FYI, for 2015 we're in the process of designing the building of a direct tool within Kobo Writing Life (www.kobo.com/writinglife) that prompts to see if you want to be included in a free feature right there - so it'd be as easy as clicking a button and confirming the time the book will be free (or if it's permanent) to assist with our scheduling - and within the dashboard you'll be able to see if a title is being included in a feature spot to assist with your tracking and analysis of how the free promotion is working.  :)

Thumbs up, Mark. I notice that Temp Job of Doom is the very first book I see on the that page ;)

Offline B.A. Spangler

• East Coast, USA
    • Engineer by Day Writer by Night
      • View Profile
      • WrittenByBrian
    « Reply #263 on: November 28, 2014, 05:47:39 pm »
    Great Promotion for first free in a series.
    Here is mine:

http://store.kobobooks.com/en-CA/search?query=Brian%20Spangler&fcsearchfield=Author&fclanguages=all

Thank you for making this page available.

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
      • View Profile
    « Reply #264 on: November 28, 2014, 06:34:46 pm »
    Thank you Mark. I think you'll find everyone here wants Kobo to succeed.

I write books about Change, Chaos, and Loki
    C. Gockel | Website

Offline KatrinaAbbott

• View Profile
      • Katrina on the web
    « Reply #265 on: December 02, 2014, 12:30:19 pm »

Hi Mark - thanks so much for this! I have two questions about this -
    1. For those of us who upload via D2D - will this new free feature be available?
    2. I have reported my first in series Taking the Reins (YA contemp romance) here in this thread already, but it hasn't popped up - is there a selection process and if so, is there something I can do to help with that? I see some other titles in the YA category have been around for a while and some new once since reporting here, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something with mine that's making it ineligible.

Thanks again! I love hearing that Kobo is working toward featuring more books in innovative ways - I do sell some books there and see a lot of opportunity.

Katrina Abbott  | Web | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Google + | Newsletter

Online Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
    • Destroyer of Science Fiction
      • View Profile
      • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
    « Reply #266 on: December 02, 2014, 07:18:48 pm »
    I recently made book 1 in my History-inspired fantasy series free: http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebook/innocence-lost-16

Offline SB James

• View Profile
      • SB James Doing the Write Thing
    « Reply #267 on: December 02, 2014, 07:23:52 pm »
    I've always been under the impression that if I used D2D, that I would not be eligible for something like this, BUUUUUUTT just in case I'm wrong:
    http://store.kobobooks.com/en-CA/ebook/the-inventor-s-son-the-beginning
    And this kind of opportunity is greatly appreciated!

Author and Artist
    SB James | WordPress | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Pinterest | Google+ | Website

Offline Mark Leslie

• Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
      • View Profile
      • Mark Leslie's Website
    « Reply #268 on: December 02, 2014, 07:51:21 pm »
    Good questions, Katrina (and SB)

For FREE, we don't discriminate against authors who don't publish to KWL direct (and for the record, the folks at D2D are AWESOME - we respect and admire what they do for authors - I had the good fortunate of meeting several of them in person at Novelists Inc in Florida back in October, and respect them even more than I did before I had the chance to chat with them in person - saying this as both an author and as a Kobo guy), but it should be known that if there's ever a tie between two titles with only one spot open, we might, by default, favour a KWL author.  (Just sharing a mild bias that comes from the fact that KWL is why I'm at Kobo, so making sure that KWL authors get extra love comes with the territory)

Our merchandiser is scanning this list and doing her best to give as many people as possible a chance to kick start their sales at Kobo by helping new customers become aware of them and their books. It is entirely possible that the title was missed on its first presentation here (us being human and all that) - so posting it again never hurts. Thanks for doing that!  The list gets added to once per week, and right now there's no easy way to notify authors of being included on a list. (Not sure if D2D tracks free downloads so for all I know you might have been on a list and just not been aware.....although chances are, if you were on it, sales would have ticked up at least a bit)

One of the developments we're looking at is building something inside KWL that would allow you to KNOW when your title has been chosen for a promo (for example, if you're a US author and you're featured in a promo on Kobo Canada or Aus or UK or Italy or France or Germany or Netherlands or wherever, you might not even know, since www.kobo.com automatically only shows you the localized territorial merchandising for where you live)  But that's future development work that we're looking at and not something we have right now.

In terms of decisions - books are definitely being judged by their covers, too. (We can't help it - we're human and do that; but we know customers also do that too) And it's not just an arbitrary thing (ie, we like this cover better than that cover), but other factors are considered such as does the cover speak to the target audience? Does this free book easily lead to sales of other books by that author? And, if the cover catches the eye, then we move on to the synopsis. Does IT speak to the target/intended audience. Are their typos in it? Stuff like that.  For the record, Katrina, just a quick scan of the 5 covers of yours that I can see, they suggest to me a consistency in cover design - without being able to read anything about them, I can see that they're likely all part of a linked series, and the 1st and 5th covers are the most appealing from my perspective. The type/font is a bit small, so I can't even read the titles nor the author name, so maybe they look better as full sized covers rather than thumbnails.  But that's just my initial impression. (And I'm not saying it in an attempt to be critical, just sharing the first things that came to mind when I looked at your covers)

But adding titles here is a great way to help bring them to our merchandisers attention! So thanks for doing that! :)

Hi Mark - thanks so much for this! I have two questions about this -
    1. For those of us who upload via D2D - will this new free feature be available?
    2. I have reported my first in series Taking the Reins (YA contemp romance) here in this thread already, but it hasn't popped up - is there a selection process and if so, is there something I can do to help with that? I see some other titles in the YA category have been around for a while and some new once since reporting here, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something with mine that's making it ineligible.

Thanks again! I love hearing that Kobo is working toward featuring more books in innovative ways - I do sell some books there and see a lot of opportunity.
    Mark Leslie   / www.markleslie.ca  / markleslie.blogspot.com / @MarkLeslie

Offline Caddy

• Novels For Adults Who Color Outside the Lines
      • View Profile
      • Caddy Rowland: Slice of Life
    « Reply #269 on: December 02, 2014, 07:57:05 pm »
    Hi Mark,

I can't remember if I ever posted Gastien: The Cost of the Dream for you. It's free and there are a totla of 5 in the series, and now I have House of Pleasure, part of 4 books of There Was a House saga. That one is recently perma-free and is a psychological thriller taking place in the sex-trafficking industry, which is a very serious problem worldwide.  Here are the covers:

http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebook/gastien-the-cost-of-the-dream

http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebook/house-of-pleasure-1

Thank you for considering them. :)
    « Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 09:48:38 pm by Caddy »
    ALSO WRITING HOT GAY M/M ROMANCE UNDER SIBLEY JACKSON

The Gastien Series: Sometimes the "impossible" is possiblebut the cost can be extremely high. | There Was a House:They better be damn good. There will only be one chance. | The Avengement Series: Karma really can be a b*tchespecially when it scores a willing partner.

Offline Lisa Grace

• Florida, USA
    • Me
      • View Profile
      • Lisa Grace
    « Reply #270 on: December 02, 2014, 08:21:32 pm »
    Hi Mark,

My first in series is perma free on Kobo and it's optioned for a major motion picture, which is currently in development. It's geared to Young YA (12-16 year-olds):

http://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/books/angel-in-the-shadows-book-1-by-lisa-grace-angel-series/

Can you please add it to your rotation?

Thank you.

Angel books in movie development
    Lisa Grace - Where Good Meets Evil | author website | facebook | twitter | google+ | Youtube

Offline Christopher Smith

• View Profile
      • Christopher Smith Books
    « Reply #271 on: December 02, 2014, 08:33:19 pm »
    Christopher Smith is the #1 international best-selling author of "Fifth Avenue," its sequels "Running of the Bulls," "From Manhattan with Love," "A Rush to Violence," "From Manhattan with Revenge," "You Only Die Twice," as well as "Bullied," "Revenge," "Witch" and "War," all four of which deal with the subject of bullying. While part of the "Fifth Avenue Series," "A Rush to Violence" is the beginning of a new a three-book series, which will include "A Rush to Murder" and "A Rush to Vengeance."  "Park Avenue" is now available.

Offline Ros_Jackson

• View Profile
    « Reply #272 on: December 03, 2014, 02:37:25 am »
    @Caddy, Gastien has been on that page a while, it's at the very bottom.

I posted my YA freebie here in October, still no dice. This is it in case it got missed: http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebook/the-secret-eater-1

Ros Jackson | author website | blog | twitter | goodreads

Offline Usedtopostheretoo!

• Scarborough, Maine
      • View Profile
    « Reply #273 on: December 03, 2014, 05:34:47 am »
    Howdy, Mark and the rest of the Kobo team.

About two months ago, I uploaded my entire Black Flagged series, including the Book 2-4 bundle. Thank you for this opportunity.

http://store.kobobooks.com/en-CA/ebook/black-flagged-2

Offline KatrinaAbbott

• View Profile
      • Katrina on the web
    « Reply #274 on: December 03, 2014, 05:59:22 am »
    Mark, thanks so much for this and your feedback on my covers. It is a linked series and I'm glad that's obvious! I've gotten quite a bit of positive feedback from readers on the covers, so I don't want to change them, but hope the thumbnail issue isn't holding me back! That said, in case it got missed in the first go-round, here's my book one for consideration on the Kobo list:

http://store.kobobooks.com/ebook/taking-the-reins-6

Thanks again!

Katrina Abbott  | Web | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Google + | Newsletter

KBoards.com

• Advertisement