Author Topic: Read more due to Kindle?  (Read 1907 times)  

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
  • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
    • View Profile
Read more due to Kindle?
« on: October 31, 2008, 11:46:54 am »
I read a lot and enjoyed it as a child and in my younger years.  But in about 1980, I discovered counted cross stitch as many did at that time.  I was addicted.  I stopped reading.  So I stitched for about 15 years until my eyes gave out.  (I can still read, but stitching became difficult.  I did totally give it up a number of  years ago now.)  But admittedly, I haven't really gotten back into reading.  I want to, but I haven't -- as yet.  (I did get the sleep gene from my mother.  Aaaaah.  Sleep.)  I am hoping my Kindle will pull me into it again.  Did anyone else find they read more after getting their Kindle?

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Buttercup

• Monterey Bay, CA
      • View Profile
    Re: Read more due to Kindle?
    « Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 11:50:04 am »
    Yes!   I've never been huge into reading like the rest of my family but since getting my Kindle not quite a month ago I've already read 3 books and am halfway through my 4th.

I also love counted cross stitch though I haven't picked mine up in a few years, crochet is my current craft choice.
    Bassets are like potato chips, you can't have just one!
    www.ggbassetrescue.org

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Global Moderator
    • Maine, USA
    • Kindle Paperwhite for Dummies available now!
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    « Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 11:56:45 am »
    Yes, I have read a ton more. I can't even count up how many books I've read since I got mine in late April. I could probably go to Amazon and look in my library but why bother? I know it's more than I read all of last year! Plus I am reading the New York Times daily, too.

I have discovered there are alot of small publishers out there that are pretty much exclusively ebook publishers. Some of them have very narrow niches, too -- vampires, horror, mild erotic fiction, hot erotic fiction, sci-fi, werewolves -- so if you find something like that, you now have access to books you may not have had access to before. I know that's true for me. I've had a great time indulging in some "guilty pleasure" reading, that's for sure.  ;)

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline Susan B

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 12:06:53 pm »
    I've always read a lot and I'm a fast reader but the Kindle has allowed me to sample new authors that I may have passed up when reading "dead tree books". This has also been the case with my husband who hadn't read sci-fi for years. He tore through the John Scalzi books that I had recommended. My brother (cush on this forum) had suggested the Scalzi books to me. So I guess it's kind of a chain reaction thing when you read on your Kindle.(Tennix this is NOT a reference to your, and my bro's, tinfoil hats  :) )
    Regarding Apple, Amazon, Macmillan and Harper Collins: Apple seeds, there is a little bit of cyanide in every apple seed.

Offline Linda Cannon-Mott

• Assignment #118
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 12:24:00 pm »
    I've always read but may go a couple months or so and read nothing pre kindle, it has been non-stop with my Kindle. Reading new authors, getting great book recommendations, love it. I am a retired counted cross stitcher and crocheter from the 80's also. I used to find it very relaxing but don't enjoy it anymore. Reading and music are the two things that take me away from it all.

Linda

Offline Cuechick

• Los Angeles
      • View Profile
      • etsy shop
    « Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 01:41:38 pm »
    Well, I went into my local B&N today. I was curious to see how far into my first book I am (since I really do not know how to read the counter on the screen) and I have read 133 pages in 2 days. For me that is a lot. I like to multi-task and mostly read in commercial breaks when I am watching TV (if I am not on my laptop!). It helps to have started off with a book I am really enjoying, The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. I always like to be reading something and I think that I will be reading more with my K!
    Find Fab Vintage in my Etsy Shop: Fresh Pie!

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 01:55:02 pm »
    I like to multi-task and mostly read in commercial breaks when I am watching TV (if I am not on my laptop!).

I do that too!!  My husband hates it. . .he wants to flip but when he does we invariably miss the first minute or two of the show when we FINALLY get back to it.  Now that we have TiVo, though, the problem is solved.  The new problem is that now there aren't any commercials to read during since we skip through them. . . .

But I still read plenty.  Always have.  All my brothers do too. . . our house growing up was always filled with books and we were pretty much allowed to read any that looked interesting to us.

Ann
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

asordu

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 02:00:22 pm »
    I'm reading a lot more because of the Kindle, especially since I get the newspaper every morning and 5 magazines every month. I never could read this much before because I just couldn't afford to. Now, especially with all the tons of free ebooks out there, I'm reading like crazy.

Offline Khabita

• Roswell GA
    • I am the Wombat! Koo-koo-ka-choo
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 02:07:02 pm »
    I wish some university would get a government grant to study why people invariably read more after getting Kindles.

I have always been a big reader, but I am definitely reading more, and more quickly. I swear it has something to do with the Kindle presenting you with that one snippet of text at a time, just one page -- nothing else to distract your attention. It reminds me of when I was a kid in school and the teachers used those readers that projected just one line at a time on a screen for us to read. (Okay, I'm sure I'm showing my age here.) The object was to get kids reading a certain number of words per minute, I believe. Since you got only one line at a atime, you weren't distracted, and you couldn't read back a sentence or two if you missed something. And I guess the Kindle is something like that, although of course you can flip back if you need to.

But I find myself developing such a nice rhythm -- read, next page, read, next page, that I just fly through books.
    Last Kindle Book read: The Iliad (Homer)
    Reading Now: The Brain That Changes Itself (Norman Doige)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement