Author Topic: "The Book Machine" website / membership (?)  (Read 14208 times)  

Offline Raquel Lyon

• England
  • Getting there slowly, one word at a time.
    • View Profile
    • Raquel Lyon
Re: "The Book Machine" website / membership (?)
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2015, 12:21:31 pm »
I forgot I'd done this! I saw absolutely nothing happen from it and left the site prior to the end of the trial. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, as they say.

Jill

Good to know, Jill. (Not good that you didn't get anything from it, just good to have the info.) Thanks for answering.

Raquel Lyon | author website | facebook | twitter | goodreads | google+

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline MyraScott

• Was great while it lasted.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: February 05, 2015, 12:24:28 pm »
    I have to tell you, I was halfway interested until I got to the shill post from Heather Author.  Now I'm pretty sure it's a scam.
    It's all spider food now
    Send your comments to VerticalScope directly- they aren't reading anything here.
    https://www.verticalscope.com/contact-us/connect-with-us.html

Offline CJArcher

• View Profile
      • CJ Archer
    « Reply #27 on: February 05, 2015, 02:47:40 pm »
    I forgot about it until I received a response earlier this year that someone had requested my book - after several months of nothing. So I went to the site, only to find my account was no longer under the "free" threshold. I would have to pay - no thanks. I left it at that. A week or so later, another email from Books Machine said they were extending the free trial period. Hmmm. I did go in and send the requester the book, but I haven't bothered to see if I received a review out of it yet.

C.J. Archer: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Tumblr

Offline Kenzi

• View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: February 05, 2015, 03:23:36 pm »
    I signed on for the free trial. You don't have to give any sensitive info, so I figured why not. Right away, I received three or four requests for reviews. I sent out the copies and got one lovely review posted to Amazon and Goodreads. The other reviewers haven't responded, and since it's been a while, I've written them off. If they do eventually write reviews, I'll be pleasantly surprised. It's not a big loss either way, since I'll give away free copies to anyone who asks anyway.

When it's time to pay for membership, I doubt I will. It's a nice idea, but I don't think enough people are participating yet to make it worth a monetary investment.

Offline KateSparkes

• Newfoundland, Canada
      • View Profile
      • Disregard the Prologue
    « Reply #29 on: February 05, 2015, 03:39:06 pm »
    I'm on it--they sent me an e-mail offering a free membership before they started up, so I didn't see any reason not to. It hasn't cost me anything so far--literally nothing, since I can't gift through Amazon from Canada, and have to send the file directly to people's e-mail or Kindle. Inconvenient, but I suppose cheaper. I haven't got in trouble for it so far.

In terms of how well it works... I've been using it since the beginning and I think I've had 4 requests. Three left reviews in a reasonable time-frame, and I'm waiting on the fourth (just sent it a week ago). The system seems to work as promised. People can ask for books, and we're under no pressure to say yes. If we do, they read and review, or they get a bad reputation on the site. Kind of like R4Rs on Goodreads or something, except with more control over who gets the books.

They extended my free trial, and I accepted. I'm hoping it will become bigger, as it is a nice way to find people who are interested in your work. I don't think I'd pay for it at this point, but if it got bigger and I got more reviews, I'd think about it.

Offline Saul Tanpepper

• Morgan Hill, CA
    • 6 Gamers : 10,000 Undead
      • View Profile
      • tanpepperwrites
    « Reply #30 on: February 11, 2015, 09:11:40 am »
    Funny, I just got the form letter email for my perma-free, which they characterized as a Amazon Kindle Deal, whatever that is. Clicked through to find that I can pay $20 for the unique opportunity to advertise with them and, lo and behold, they've got a slot open tomorrow, doncha know. The site and their sample promotions actually look decent, and their Facebook page has over 12,000 likes, but their posts never have any engagement. Filing this away for now. They'd do better enticing authors if they just offered their unvetted services for free and let their initial success depend on word of mouth.
    Spec-Fic for All Ages    *  AMAZON  *  GooglePlay  *  iTunes  *  Kobo  *  B&N  *  Smashwords  *  Facebook  *  Website  *  Tweets  * 

FREE>

TobiasRoote

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2015, 10:19:59 am »
    Funny, I just got the form letter email for my perma-free, which they characterized as a Amazon Kindle Deal, whatever that is. Clicked through to find that I can pay $20 for the unique opportunity to advertise with them and, lo and behold, they've got a slot open tomorrow, doncha know. The site and their sample promotions actually look decent, and their Facebook page has over 12,000 likes, but their posts never have any engagement. Filing this away for now. They'd do better enticing authors if they just offered their unvetted services for free and let their initial success depend on word of mouth.

I just got exactly the same deal and knew I had read something about them on here so found this post... Thanks for saving me $20 :D

Offline edwardgtalbot

• Amherst, MA
    • Thriller and short story author
      • View Profile
      • author website for Edward G. Talbot
    « Reply #32 on: June 16, 2015, 07:48:35 pm »
    I got the email from them today. It does seem like an actual legitimate site not a full on scam. However, this is the email I sent them:

I appreciate your email. As far as advertising goes, I won't generally spend $20 on a site unless a number of authors I know through kboards.com have at least tried it and had some semblance of results. I found a dozen threads on kboards and while I don't agree with some of the more negative comments, there's really no evidence of any results.

One note - I signed up for your email as a reader just to get an idea of how the service comes across to readers. It seems very clear from the welcome email that English is not the first language of the person who wrote it. In addition to the typos, the language is awkward and in several cases grammatically incorrect. Normally this would not be something to worry about, but when you are trying to promote the written English word, it is. It would not surprise me if you find some authors willing to pay, but you are really hurting your cause by appealing to writers with something so poorly written.

I wish you the best of luck,

Edward G. Talbot
    What if everyone IS out to get you?

Edward G. Talbot | Web Site

Offline AngryGames

• Boise, ID
    • Stoner Fiction Enthusiast
      • View Profile
      • AngryGames
    « Reply #33 on: August 27, 2015, 12:14:23 pm »
    So... got another email from these guys today offering to promote "End of the Line."

Anyone have any updated info/details/experiences with The Books Machine? $20 is chump change, but I would rather spend it with say BookBarbarian (which netted me ~100 sales on a $.99 promo the other day) or ENT as I at least have a good idea of what kind of return I will get.

Travis Hill | Author Website | Blog | Twitter | Goodreads

Offline Penang

• USA
      • View Profile
      • Official Website for Angela Fristoe
    « Reply #34 on: August 27, 2015, 12:20:09 pm »
    It is a huge hassle. I gifted 2 books, and one was never even accepted so it's money sitting in Amazon cyber space. The third request I had I emailed prior to gifting and it was a fake address. I contacted Book Machine and they said there's nothing they can do to stop fake emails. Now I get weekly reminders to send the book to the fake reviewer who requested.

Angela Fristoe | website | Blog

Offline Maria Romana

• NC, USA
    • ...should be working on WIP...
      • View Profile
      • Research Triangle Publications
    « Reply #35 on: September 14, 2015, 02:42:23 pm »
    I got the email from them today. It does seem like an actual legitimate site not a full on scam. However, this is the email I sent them:

Thanks for telling them exactly what I was thinking. It's also concerning to see soooo many likes (25K) on a Facebook page with virtually no engagement. Smells very much like fake likes to me, but even if the likes aren't fake, the people obviously aren't seeing the posts or emails, so it's a no-go for now.

Offline William_Stadler

• Garner, NC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: September 14, 2015, 02:57:53 pm »
    I joined about a year ago when they were just starting out, so it was free for me.

It's not worth the service, even though it's free. I've had about 3 people read my books, and they've all left reviews, but the website is impossibly hard to use. And the reviews happen so infrequently that you forget the sequence of clicks you have to press just to say "Yes, you can review my book."

My books are still available on the site, but I most certainly do not pay 30/month for the service, and if I had to do that, I would not be a member.

Also, they give you a chance to advertise your book for like 10-15 dollars. I shrugged and gave it a shot. Not worth it. I got absolutely no downloads. Just wasn't worth the time. So it's not a "scammmer" site. It's just not an effective site.

Storyteller
    William Stadler | Blog

Offline Kate Rothwell / Summer Devon

• View Profile
      • my kate rothwell page
    « Reply #37 on: October 09, 2015, 10:41:52 am »
    THANK YOU... the Kboards are becoming an invaluable resource because of threads like this one. I used to visit preditor/editor and the watercooler over at Absolute Write but you guys are as good.
    Kate Rothwell / Summer Devon

Offline Adomwrites

• Fairfax VA
      • View Profile
      • Author Adom Sample
    « Reply #38 on: July 03, 2017, 08:37:49 am »
    I just got one from them wanting to advertise my book...But it's $20.

I received the same thing. Promotion in their newsletter for $20. Anyone tried this with them?

Adom Sample | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | Website

Offline Jonathan C. Gillespie

• Atlanta, GA
    • Relentlessly Patient
      • View Profile
      • Fiction For Every Reader
    « Reply #39 on: August 28, 2017, 05:03:49 am »
    I'm going to conduct a little thread necromancy here, if that's OK. I got an email from these folks a few days back and googled about them, and came across this thread. The reason I'm reviving this thread is the email still touts "25k" Facebook followers, which indicates to me the "reader base" hasn't really grown.

I don't have anything against these folks, but just FYI it seems things likely haven't taken off over there.

I write worlds on paper, then destroy them.
    Jonathan C. Gillespie | Official Site | Twitter | facebook | Newsletter

Offline David VanDyke

• View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: August 28, 2017, 11:11:11 am »
    It appears their service is just as dead as this thread.

Offline jaehaerys

• View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: August 28, 2017, 12:15:07 pm »
    Man, indie publishing is just a cesspool right now.  :(

Offline CaileeFrancis

• View Profile
      • Cailee Francis Author Site
    « Reply #42 on: December 16, 2017, 10:18:02 am »
    I got an email from them today about a book of mine that's under another pen name. It's currently ranking fairly high (free) as I'm using my KDP Select free days right now, so I'd say that's how they found it. I was going to reply and say no thanks, but I might just leave it be because it seems to be the same letter so many other people have gotten.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement