Author Topic: Introducing Reedsy: An all-in-one service for indie authors  (Read 2166 times)  

Offline reedsydave

• View Profile
Hi kboards,

I'm Dave, from Reedsy. We're a startup based in London working on a service for independent authors that we want to share with you.

Reedsy will be a marketplace where you can find professional freelance editors, cover designers, publicists, translators, and audiobook narrators. We're curating our barracks of freelancers carefully. We're individually vetting who we work with, so you can guarantee that everyone on Reedsy is who they say they are. What's more, we're only working with experienced, established freelancers, many of whom have backgrounds working in-house at publishers.

We're also making it easy for you to publish your books directly to the Amazon, Apple, and Kobo stores through us, if you want to - with no charges, in exchange for 10% of the book's royalties. If you want to upload them yourself, that's fine too - you can use our editor to produce a perfectly formatted file compatible with all the major stores, including links to your other works on each store, and download it for a small one-off fee.

We're looking for writers to get involved in our upcoming beta-test, and we'd love to hear from anyone here who's interested in working with us. You can contact me at [email protected], or you can find our more at our landing page at www.reedsy.com. We look forward to meeting you :-)

(Edited for grammar and other clumsy errors!)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 09:23:17 am by reedsydave »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline reedsydave

• View Profile
    Re: Introducing Reedsy: An all-in-one service for indie authors
    « Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 09:21:16 am »
    No offense, but as a self-published author who barely makes any money the idea of having someone upload then get 10% of my royalities doesn't sound very appealing. I am wondering whether other authors feel similar to me. I may suggest rethinking that business plan. I'm just trying to help you out.

Hi Dwallock, that's absolutely fair. There are a few specific cases where authors we've spoken to would consider using our uploading tool. One is for first-time self-publishers who want to experiment with publishing their own work without going through the process of learning how to do it themselves - as a convenience thing, basically. The other is when an author is publishing to Amazon, but is having difficulty setting up publishing via the iBook store, and want to publish through Reedsy just to there - you have the option of only publishing to certain stores.

Offline J.L. Dickinson

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 09:55:53 am »

I'm Dave, from Reedsy. We're a startup based in London working on a service for independent authors that we want to share with you.

Will you have American English editors for hire as well as British English?
    If I'm doing it right, my words should be as though a drug;
    You should be addicted, and always coming back for more.

Offline reedsydave

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 10:31:36 am »
    Will you have American English editors for hire as well as British English?

Yes, in fact right now our balance of editors is weighted slightly in favour of American editors. Most editors we've spoken to offer Americanization and Anglicisation (respectively, I believe!), but if there's any other reason you'd like to work with someone more local, you'll be able to quite easily.

Offline Josh St. John

• Grand Rapids, Mi
      • View Profile
      • jstjWrites.com
    « Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 10:36:08 am »
    Interesting "one-stop-shop" idea in the land of eBooks.

I went to your site to read up on it a bit more, and I can barely make out the "important stuff" due to bad font color choices (way too light). Happening on both Chrome and Firefox, Ubuntu 14.04. I can send you screenshots if needed.

Josh St. John | jstjWrites.com | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Colin

• UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 10:48:11 am »
    No offense, but as a self-published author who barely makes any money the idea of having someone upload then get 10% of my royalities doesn't sound very appealing. I am wondering whether other authors feel similar to me. I may suggest rethinking that business plan. I'm just trying to help you out.

The majority of authors we work with are not that I.T. savvy so they appreciate our expertise an experience. I would say their collective average age would be around 60. Of course that doesn't mean older people are not capable of going it alone.

Also, some of our best authors would rather spend their time focusing on their writing.

It's horses for courses.  :)

Edited to add: The best of British luck to Dave from Reedsy and his crew of Privateersmen.   :D
    « Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 10:59:26 am by Colin »

Offline reedsydave

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 03:34:21 am »
    Interesting "one-stop-shop" idea in the land of eBooks.

I went to your site to read up on it a bit more, and I can barely make out the "important stuff" due to bad font color choices (way too light). Happening on both Chrome and Firefox, Ubuntu 14.04. I can send you screenshots if needed.

Thanks, a one-stop-shop rather than a packaged-services offering is something we think is needed. Would it be possible to PM me or post a screenshot showing that part of the page? Sounds concerning...

I understand. I was just trying to help you out. Your service sounds really cool by the way. I have so many freelancers I talk to and it's cool you guys would do all the work.

Thanks, the feedback is appreciated! It seems like authors collaborating with different freelancers could benefit from a kind of project management system. Hopefully I'll have some screenshots to show you later today...

The majority of authors we work with are not that I.T. savvy so they appreciate our expertise an experience. I would say their collective average age would be around 60. Of course that doesn't mean older people are not capable of going it alone.

Also, some of our best authors would rather spend their time focusing on their writing.

It's horses for courses.  :)

Edited to add: The best of British luck to Dave from Reedsy and his crew of Privateersmen.   :D

Thanks for the well-wishes! :)

Offline I Give Up

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 05:42:09 am »

That's really no different than Smashwords or D2D.

Offline reedsydave

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 01:14:44 am »
    Hi Kboards, just wanted to let you guys know that at Reedsy we're now accepting authors into our beta. You can put your name down at our main site, or you can email me at [email protected] and I should be able to get you signed up even quicker. We've got over 200 freelancers so far, made up of editors and designers with backgrounds across a variety of genres.

Cheers!

Dave

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
    • Storyteller and Cat Minion
      • View Profile
      • Ineti Press

Online Mark Dawson

• London, UK
      • View Profile
      • Mark Dawson
    « Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 08:51:10 am »
    No, but I met Ricardo - one of the guys behind it - at an event in London and I was very impressed. This isn't an endorsement, because I've got no experience, but I've checked out their platform and it is very nice. And he was extremely switched on. I thought it was a good sign, and that this could be an interesting idea.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement