Author Topic: Charging  (Read 3949 times)  

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
  • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
    • View Profile
Charging
« on: October 31, 2008, 01:09:05 pm »
So I saw the instructions on the screen.  Plug it in to charge it.  I did.  Later started reading instruction book.  Green light when it's charging.  So I looked some time after I had plugged it in.  No light?  Wiggled stuff a little.  Now the charging / power light is yellow.  What's happening?

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Global Moderator
    • Maine, USA
    • Kindle Paperwhite for Dummies available now!
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    Re: Charging
    « Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 01:13:50 pm »
    I think the light goes out when it's charged. I'd say the difference between green/yellow might just be the angle that you are looking at it. I've noticed my light looks different colors. Sometimes it looks orange!

I read somewhere that once it is charged (light out) you should unplug it because it will start de-charging.

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 01:18:12 pm »
    Light is out again.  I'll unplug it.  It has been plugged in for about 1.75 hours.  Thought I read some place takes 2 hours to fully charge?

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Global Moderator
    • Maine, USA
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    « Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 01:24:34 pm »
    Light is out again.  I'll unplug it.  It has been plugged in for about 1.75 hours.  Thought I read some place takes 2 hours to fully charge?

Yes. But I think many of them are shipped with a partial charge. I know mine turned on before I plugged it in (I was too excited to get the plug out of the box!).

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 01:37:04 pm »
    I read somewhere that once it is charged (light out) you should unplug it because it will start de-charging.

L

My understanding is that the light is on while charging and goes off when full.  But it doesn't d-charge if you fail to unplug it right away.  In fact it will keep it topped up if, say, you have whispernet on and stuff comes down while the rest of the machine is sleeping.

I have, however, heard bad things about leaving it plugged into a computer. . .that will apparently use it up pretty fast as well or else the computer will try to recharge it but will die trying  :-)  I forget what the issue was exactly but the moral of the story was:  you can't charge a Kindle via the USB on a computer, because the mini USB in the Kindle is not set up for it.

Ann
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Global Moderator
    • Maine, USA
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    « Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 01:40:31 pm »
    While we are on the topic of charging....

An area of debate amongst the world of passionate Kindle owners is, Will the USB cable charge your Kindle?

I am firmly in the camp that believes no it will not. I have heard of two people who went on trips with only the USB, their Kindle, and laptop, thinking the USB would charge their Kindle, like it does for the iPhone. Within 24 hours in both cases the Kindle was dead as a doornail.

Some people have tried to convince me that the USB does, in fact, provide a trickle charge. They tell me that: 1) computer needs to be on; 2) Kindle needs to be off; and 3) it must be allowed to charge for 20 hours. (Do they really expect me to be Kindle-less for 20 hours? LOL). I actually haven't tried this scenario to see if it is true. I sort of wonder what does computer "on" mean? Are sleep mode or hibernate okay?

Moral of the story: if you go on a trip, take the charger. Do not rely on the USB! That would be my advice.

Leslie

Leslie Nicoll

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Global Moderator
    • Maine, USA
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    « Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 01:41:42 pm »
    Great minds, Ann, great minds!!

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline Susan B

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 02:13:11 pm »
    They actually survived 20 hours without a Kindle fix?
    Regarding Apple, Amazon, Macmillan and Harper Collins: Apple seeds, there is a little bit of cyanide in every apple seed.

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Global Moderator
    • Maine, USA
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    « Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 02:37:33 pm »
    They actually survived 20 hours without a Kindle fix?

That's what this person said. Hard to believe, isn't it?  ;)

Leslie Nicoll

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 02:43:39 pm »
    I like to keep it simple.  Regular charge for me -- no USB.  I love it.  I've just been reading the User's Guide.  Guess it's about time to get my first book.

Offline Tris

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 04:42:53 pm »
    I never really charge anything with my computer, but what I'm wondering if I can charge my Kindle with my iPod's recharging adapter.  I mean it works directly from my iPod's USB cable and it is written that it could recharge other electronics as well...hmmm.  I really want to try it but alas, my dad has the adapter/charger with him (he's on an international trip, so I let him borrow it).

On this whole computer USB recharging though, I personally think it does 'recharge' but it's such a trickle that it probably doesn't do much of anything.  I remember when I hooked my Kindle to my computer to download some free classics, the recharge light did come on, but not enough to even move the little battery bar...and I kept it on for at least 2 hours (I was watching a fun tv show at the same time).

But perhaps I'm wrong.  I mean I'm still trying to get used to this whole Kindle recharging thing.  Having to recharge the Kindle when it's not empty is wierd...

Tris

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 05:00:10 pm »
    I think. . . . . .that the difference is the little round plug is designed to have power go in the Kindle.  The mini USB is just designed for data.  Some devices, like my phone, use the same for both.  But even my phone won't charge if ONLY plugged into the computer, I have to plug it into the wall, or use the special cradle that, itself, connects to both the computer and house current.

Ann
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 05:28:26 pm »
    Right, Tris.  Most other "devices" are supposed to be charged only when they have (nearly) run down.  But the Kindle is supposed to be charged often?  Yes?

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Global Moderator
    • Maine, USA
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    « Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 05:44:15 pm »
    Yes. They recommend that the Kindle be charged regularly. I don't think mine has ever gone below half a bar, actually. I keep the charger plugged in near to the table where I always am with my laptop (aka, the kitchen table) so I usually just plug WSB in when I am sitting here.

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline Tris

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 05:58:06 pm »
    I have to say that I was thinking the same thing as you, Ann.  However I haven't tried it out yet...still in theory.

See it's wierd because now the whole battery life issue is changing for each electronic gadget that I have.  Like my phone that has to be recharged when the little 'beep' noise signaling 'low battery'...basically dead battery.  Then there is my iPod which you should charge for only an hour for a 90-95% charge because if you consistantly charge it 100% full, it ticks down the battery (apparently the battery can only sustain a certain number of full battery charges...very sneaky Apple).  My laptop is pretty much the same thing as the iPod but just suggest to leave it connected to the power supply at all times when not traveling. 

Tris

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Global Moderator
    • Maine, USA
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    « Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 06:03:08 pm »
    Because of all the old laptops I had with crappy batteries, I only use the laptop battery in extreme emergencies. At airports, I am that person with the backpack, skulking around looking for a plug.

The battery on my iPhone sucks and if someone could tell me what I am doing wrong, I'd appreciate it.

Then...my Kindle. Battery heaven...I plug it in because I want to plug it in, not because it tells me it needs it.

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline happypuppy007

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 06:17:02 pm »
    Because of all the old laptops I had with crappy batteries, I only use the laptop battery in extreme emergencies. At airports, I am that person with the backpack, skulking around looking for a plug.

The battery on my iPhone sucks and if someone could tell me what I am doing wrong, I'd appreciate it.

Then...my Kindle. Battery heaven...I plug it in because I want to plug it in, not because it tells me it needs it.

L

Which Iphone do you have?  The first gen's battery life was better then the 3G.  The 3G has a lot more functions and this is why the battery seems so bad.  If you have the 'push' service on for email and such (Fetch New Data in settings), along with 3G, and bluetooth it really drains the battery fast.  For me it seems that bluetooth really drains it the fastest ( i have the 16gig 3G).  If you need to conserve battery life, turn off bluetooth and push and that should help a bit.  I use the wireless at home and that helps as well.
    I plug mine in every night before bed.  Have you done all the updates?  After the last update my battery seems a little bit better.

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Global Moderator
    • Maine, USA
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    « Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008, 06:28:57 pm »

Which Iphone do you have?  The first gen's battery life was better then the 3G.  The 3G has a lot more functions and this is why the battery seems so bad.  If you have the 'push' service on for email and such (Fetch New Data in settings), along with 3G, and bluetooth it really drains the battery fast.  For me it seems that bluetooth really drains it the fastest ( i have the 16gig 3G).  If you need to conserve battery life, turn off bluetooth and push and that should help a bit.  I use the wireless at home and that helps as well.
    I plug mine in every night before bed.  Have you done all the updates?  After the last update my battery seems a little bit better.

I am actually one of 499 people (along with my husband, he has one too) who happen to own the 4 MB 1st gen iPhone. Yeah, 4 MB. It works fine for me but the battery is lousy and seems worse than my husband's, which makes me wonder what is going on with mine.

He wants to upgrade to a new 3G and is trying to persuade me to take HIS old 4 MB phone...on the entire argument that the battery is better! LOL...he hasn't convinced me yet!

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline happypuppy007

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008, 01:03:11 am »

I am actually one of 499 people (along with my husband, he has one too) who happen to own the 4 MB 1st gen iPhone. Yeah, 4 MB. It works fine for me but the battery is lousy and seems worse than my husband's, which makes me wonder what is going on with mine.

He wants to upgrade to a new 3G and is trying to persuade me to take HIS old 4 MB phone...on the entire argument that the battery is better! LOL...he hasn't convinced me yet!

L

Hmmm odd.  My first gen iphone's battery was fine and well the 3G is going to be worse as far as battery power goes but I love mine to bits!  Even if the push service for the instant messaging we were promised by September hasn't ever materialized.   So far this is my biggest gripe and it's not that big of a deal but I do use the IM services a lot in business and for my personal life. 
    I big puffy heart my Iphone.  I'm a huge gadget freak.

Offline Kirstin

• View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008, 05:05:49 am »
    :)  I went on an overnight trip and and did not have time to charge it before I left.  Even though I still had half a charge and knew I'd probably be OK, I took the charger with me - just in case!!   I can't be w/o my Kindle (which I have not named yet and it is starting to bother me).

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing."  Walt Disney

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #20 on: November 03, 2008, 05:08:29 am »
    :)  I can't be w/o my Kindle (which I have not named yet and it is starting to bother me).

Don't worry, the right name will come to you!  I've heard of people taking their newborn babies home from the hospital without names, for as much as a week!!!!

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Avalon

• Member #116
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 09:44:19 am »
    :)  I can't be w/o my Kindle (which I have not named yet and it is starting to bother me).

Don't worry, the right name will come to you!  I've heard of people taking their newborn babies home from the hospital without names, for as much as a week!!!!

Betsy

Betsy, I am one of those people!  Twice we've left the hospital without a birth certificate, had to go back later to fill in the blank.  Our youngest was named on the way to the Baptism :)
    Kindle Kids:
    K2 "Aurora" arrived 24 Feb 2009
    K1 "Shakespeare" arrived 25 April 2008

We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.  ~ Thornton Wilder

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #22 on: November 03, 2008, 09:45:49 am »

Betsy, I am one of those people!  Twice we've left the hospital without a birth certificate, had to go back later to fill in the blank.  Our youngest was named on the way to the Baptism :)

LOL!  Nothing like a little pressure!
    « Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 09:55:09 am by Leslie »

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #23 on: November 03, 2008, 09:52:23 am »

I'm assuming it was an infant baptism!

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Terra firma
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: November 03, 2008, 10:04:45 am »
    (apparently the battery can only sustain a certain number of full battery charges...very sneaky Apple). 

This is not unusual. And its not Apples fault (since they dont manufacture the battery), they just inform their users up front. Different battery types require different charging procedures and have different cycle lives. The best advice on battery treatment I got from an engineer was charge it whenever you like, and when the battery goes bad, then replace it.

There may be more battery charging myths around than any other type. I keep my laptop, cell phone and Palm devices plugged into the charger all the time. Everything else is as whim dictates, and that is not consistent.

Mike

KBoards.com

• Advertisement