Author Topic: I just got a letter from Amazon about Hachette  (Read 35256 times)  

Offline Quiss

• Canada
  • spits infinitives
    • View Profile
    • Chris Reher Author page
Re: I just got a letter from Amazon about Hachette
« Reply #125 on: August 09, 2014, 05:26:59 am »
I'm on Amazon's side on this dispute but I'm going to wait to see what KU does to my sales/revenue before leaping to Amazon's defense. I'm not sure if I'm as important to them as they claim.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Christa Wick

• U.S.A.
      • View Profile
      • Christa Wick
    « Reply #126 on: August 09, 2014, 05:27:24 am »
    What I find interesting is that there aren't any links in the body of the email going back to Amazon. That's one of the easiest ways to check for scammers.

the godaddy who.is - http://who.godaddy.com/whoisstd.aspx?domain=readers-united.com&prog_id=GoDaddy has Amazon Technologies as the owner.

Offline Rick Gualtieri

• NJ
    • Renaissance Geek
      • View Profile
      • RickGualtieri.com
    « Reply #127 on: August 09, 2014, 05:29:43 am »
    I made my thoughts on Amazon and Hachette clear in another thread.  Bottom line, though, is I decided to do as the letter requested. I shot off an email to Hachette's CEO expressing my thoughts as both a reader and an author.  It has nothing to do with being Amazon's friend or pawn.  I simply agree with what they're saying and , quite frankly, am also extremely annoyed at the one-sided press the big names on the other side are getting. 

Of course, I'm also glad I did so *before* coming to Kboards this morning as I'm sure reading this thread would have talked me out of it.  :D

Making fantasy fun again, one corpse at a time
    Rick Gualtieri | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Bill The Vampire on FB | YouTube

Offline 75814

• View Profile
    « Reply #128 on: August 09, 2014, 05:30:06 am »
    Is anyone going to respond to this by writing to Hachette, as the message suggests? I haven't heard anyone say they intend to do that.

If you do, do you seriously believe Hachette will take a blind bit of notice?

No, I sent an email both to KDP and to the readers-united address and told Amazon if they want my help, they need to offer me the same deal they offer traditional publisherswhich means pre-order buttons and KU enrollment without exclusivity and 60% of list price per borrow. Until they do that, they can fight their own battles.

Offline Lexi Revellian

• London
      • View Profile
      • Lexi Revellian - my writing and other related matters...
    « Reply #129 on: August 09, 2014, 05:30:25 am »
    Is anyone going to respond to this by writing to Hachette, as the message suggests? I haven't heard anyone say they intend to do that.

If you do, do you seriously believe Hachette will take a blind bit of notice?

I have, because Amazon asked me to and I owe Amazon big time.

I'm sure Michael Pietsch will read it, if my email is the only one. ;D If it's not, then it'll be counted, no doubt.

Offline valeriec80

• View Profile
      • V. J. Chambers, author
    « Reply #130 on: August 09, 2014, 05:31:20 am »
    If it is from Amazon, I think they've vastly misjudged indie authors as a group. They don't call us indies for nothing, you know? We're independent. I think we all value that sense of freedom and autonomy. (Of course, we do all our our souls to the Amazon store, but none of us want to be reminded of that.) This email makes me feel icky because the casual way Amazon asks me to fight its battle makes me realize that they they think I should be grateful to them. (And, okay, I guess I should. Selling books on their site has changed my life.) It reminds me how much power Amazon has over me, and I don't actually like that feeling. I resent it. I want not to need them, not to be grateful to them, not to be asked to help them out. I want to be doing this on my own.

Heck, I am doing this on my own. (It would just be impossible without Amazon. Gah.)

Anyway, the overbearing smugness of the request, the offhand way they're trying to leverage me as if I'm one of their pawns.... well, I really don't like that.

Offline LynPerry

• Writer, Coffee Drinker, Cat Wrangler
      • View Profile
      • Lyndon Perry, Writer
    « Reply #131 on: August 09, 2014, 05:31:41 am »
    At least is doesn't say, "All your ebook are belong to us."

I write, I teach, I drink coffee. And yes, I have a cat.
    Lyndon Perry | website | facebook | twitter | free ebook

Offline Quiss

• Canada
    • spits infinitives
      • View Profile
      • Chris Reher Author page
    « Reply #132 on: August 09, 2014, 05:35:33 am »
    Why do I want [trad] published books to be cheaper. That's my whole marketing angle. Sure Amazon sells my books but they don't give a crap if my books sell."

Like   :D

Offline JeanetteRaleigh

• View Profile
      • Jeanette Raleigh
    « Reply #133 on: August 09, 2014, 05:36:56 am »
    I love Amazon because they've given me an opportunity that I am incredibly grateful for. So, yes, I support them wholeheartedly (and my purchases reflect that).  That said, I still can't help but hope that Hachette and the rest get to price their books at an outrageous amount clearing the way for our books.  The last thing an indie author needs is a price war where traditional books are cheap.

Offline Alondo

• England
      • View Profile
      • The Lodestone Series of Science Fiction Books
    « Reply #134 on: August 09, 2014, 05:44:55 am »
    No, I sent an email both to KDP and to the readers-united address and told Amazon if they want my help, they need to offer me the same deal they offer traditional publishers--which means pre-order buttons and KU enrollment without exclusivity and 60% of list price per borrow. Until they do that, they can fight their own battles.

Good for you!
    The Lodestone Series of Science Fiction

Offline derekailes2014

• Valparaiso, Indiana USA
    • Horror minds are better than most
      • View Profile
    « Reply #135 on: August 09, 2014, 05:45:21 am »
    I just read the email a couple minutes ago.  I wouldn't want authors like Stephen King and Dean Koontz selling their kindle versions for the same price as mine.  People would obvious choose the bigger name or a indie author.  9.99 does sound like a fair price.

Horror & Science Fiction Author
    Derek Ailes | weekly blog | website | twitter | facebook author page

Offline m.a. petterson

• View Profile
    « Reply #136 on: August 09, 2014, 05:47:14 am »
    Dear Mr. Bezos - thanks.

I own your stock in my IRA.

I sell my books via Kindle.

I've made money and saved money through Amazon.

I have no opinion on your mass email but you seem like a pretty smart fella so carry on.

m.a. petterson | website

Offline JumpingShip

• View Profile
    « Reply #137 on: August 09, 2014, 05:47:40 am »
    I'm on Amazon's side on this dispute but I'm going to wait to see what KU does to my sales/revenue before leaping to Amazon's defense. I'm not sure if I'm as important to them as they claim.

Good idea. Maybe we should use their request for our own leverage.

Offline Alondo

• England
      • View Profile
    « Reply #138 on: August 09, 2014, 05:48:10 am »
    I love Amazon because they've given me an opportunity that I am incredibly grateful for. So, yes, I support them wholeheartedly (and my purchases reflect that).  That said, I still can't help but hope that Hachette and the rest get to price their books at an outrageous amount clearing the way for our books.  The last thing an indie author needs is a price war where traditional books are cheap.

To me. this is the key point. Why would Indies cut their own throats?

Offline Joe_Nobody

• Texas (east and west)
      • View Profile
      • Joe Nobody Books
    « Reply #139 on: August 09, 2014, 05:51:30 am »
    I too received the email. If anyone's interested, here's my take:

One of Paterson's rants asked people to email Bezos and gave his email address. I'm sure several thousand did. I'm also sure it was annoying. I've noted several folks on this thread who were offended at receiving one email. Imagine receiving tens of thousands.

So this letter asks those that support Amazon to return the favor. I'd do the same thing if I were in Amazon's shoes. I hope the prez at Hachette receives a gadzillion of them. I imagine readers will be brought into this as well. I'd do that too.

My bottom line is that Amazon has the right to charge, and pay, whatever they want for the product they resell. They act no differently than any reseller on the planet. Big suppliers that deliver in volume get better terms (pre-order buttons and KU exclusions). Mom and pops (read us indies) get different terms. No one has to list their product on Amazon. No one has to accept their deal.

If you don't think Amazon is worthy of your support, then that's cool. Don't help them.
    If you think Hachette is in the right, then delete the email. Don't shop on Amazon. Delist your books. Vote with your dollar (or BPS or Euro).

I've already sent off my email to Hachette because I don't agree with their position. 

Offline Rick Gualtieri

• NJ
    • Renaissance Geek
      • View Profile
      • RickGualtieri.com
    « Reply #140 on: August 09, 2014, 05:51:49 am »
    Maybe I'm alone here, but I'm not afraid of a price war on Amazon.  The whole reason I work as hard as I do is to put out a professional quality product.  I don't pretend that I'm going to go toe to toe with the big names in my genre and win, but I am prepared to fight to hold my own and let readers be the judge.

Making fantasy fun again, one corpse at a time
    Rick Gualtieri | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Bill The Vampire on FB | YouTube

Offline Alondo

• England
      • View Profile
    « Reply #141 on: August 09, 2014, 05:51:56 am »
    I have, because Amazon asked me to and I owe Amazon big time.

I'm sure Michael Pietsch will read it, if my email is the only one. ;D If it's not, then it'll be counted, no doubt.

Well done. No doubt you're looking forward to your reduced sales, when traditionally publishers reduce prices to your level. 

Offline Brandon Shire

• View Profile
      • BrandonShire.com
    « Reply #142 on: August 09, 2014, 05:53:32 am »
    Got it and I'm pretty angry. This is total BS. I do NOT support Amazon's tactics, at all. I see it as another form of price manipulation which benefits them and no one else. They claim readers, but as a reader I WILL pay premium prices for some authors and do so gladly. That's my determination to make, not theirs.
    Can you imagine any other industry, perhaps the one you work in, where the distributor determines your company's profit margin?

I don't care for big pub in general, but this is ridiculous and disgraceful.

Brandon Shire | Website | Twitter

Offline komura 420

• View Profile
      • another hole in the fence
    « Reply #143 on: August 09, 2014, 05:57:57 am »
    One corporation fighting another corporation.  Yawn. 

Too busy writing to pay attention to the greedbots.

Cowardice is the mortal enemy of self esteem.

Offline Brandon Shire

• View Profile
      • BrandonShire.com
    « Reply #144 on: August 09, 2014, 06:01:38 am »
    Clearly you have never tried to distribute your product through Walmart.

I don't even shop at walmart, much less try to sell through it.  But thanks. And you made my point. Walmart costs local tax payers almost one million dollars a year b/c of the substandard wages they pay, and put ten of thousands of small biz owners out of work so they could import cheap poorly made products.
    « Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 06:04:21 am by Brandon Shire »

Brandon Shire | Website | Twitter

Offline My_Txxxx_a$$_Left_Too

• If you got here via Google...LEAVE! Data not safe!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #145 on: August 09, 2014, 06:02:49 am »
    Content removed due to TOS Change of 2018. I do not agree to the terms.
    « Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 04:27:57 pm by WasAnn »
    I've been told that my signature is too long, so here is the BLUF. Don't click anything if you got here via Google. Your data is now theirs.

No, I do not agree to the TOS. I didn't sign up under it and don't agree. Further, you don't own any of my stuff. Period. I'm overwriting and deleting it all, and I highly recommend you who are reading this do the same. Focus on that which gives good Google-Fu.

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
    • Destroyer of Science Fiction
      • View Profile
      • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
    « Reply #146 on: August 09, 2014, 06:03:08 am »
    I don't even shop at walmart, much less try to sell through it.  But thanks.

Or you've never been a dairy farmer (or any kind of farmer, really).

Offline Caddy

• Novels For Adults Who Color Outside the Lines
      • View Profile
      • Caddy Rowland: Slice of Life
    « Reply #147 on: August 09, 2014, 06:03:18 am »
    I got it and I'm ignoring it. Neither company has my best interest in mind. Amazon is a corporation. I appreciate that, I'm not disparaging them, but they certainly don't feel loyalty to any author. Hachette has its head up its a*s, like most publishing companies nowadays. I just write books and paint pictures.
    ALSO WRITING HOT GAY M/M ROMANCE UNDER SIBLEY JACKSON

The Gastien Series: Sometimes the "impossible" is possiblebut the cost can be extremely high. | There Was a House:They better be damn good. There will only be one chance. | The Avengement Series: Karma really can be a b*tchespecially when it scores a willing partner.

Offline josielitton

• View Profile
    « Reply #148 on: August 09, 2014, 06:03:43 am »
    Maybe I'm alone here, but I'm not afraid of a price war on Amazon.  The whole reason I work as hard as I do is to put out a professional quality product.  I don't pretend that I'm going to go toe to toe with the big names in my genre and win, but I am prepared to fight to hold my own and let readers be the judge.

I totally agree.  I've had years of experience being traditionally published and while I've met some good people, I have no illusions about the overall competency of these companies when it comes to everything from editing to cover design to marketing.  From what I've seen of many indy authors, we more than hold our own.

Offline 75845

• View Profile
    « Reply #149 on: August 09, 2014, 06:06:45 am »
    Well done. No doubt you're looking forward to your reduced sales, when traditionally publishers reduce prices to your level.

A bit late to worry about that and not just at Amazon. My bargain buy yesterday was 0.51 for Will Self's Umbrella (Bloomsbury 2012) on Nook. This was shortlisted for the Man Booker. Big Pub is already using indie pricing tactics, but not in the first year of publication.
    « Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 09:11:08 am by Mercia McMahon »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement