Author Topic: I just got a letter from Amazon about Hachette  (Read 35298 times)  

Offline portiadacosta

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
    • Portia Da Costa's Web Site
Re: I just got a letter from Amazon about Hachette
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2014, 12:15:26 am »
Just checked the headers and one of my copies came to the address I use for KDP and my Author Central at Amazon.com, and the other came to the address I use at Amazon.co.uk, as a customer and for my AC there.
SUNDAY TIMES Bestselling Author
Portia Da Costa | author website | blog | facebook | twitter | goodreads

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline KOwrites

• Seattle
    • Writer | Dark, angsty love stuff
      • View Profile
      • Writer | Dark angsty love stuff - New Adult / Contemporary Romance
    « Reply #26 on: August 09, 2014, 12:17:04 am »
    I just saw this.

And truly, it's beyond disturbing.

My first thought if it's legitimate is if it's such a hardship for the Zon and Hachette to work this contract out, pull Hachette's books because you don't have a contract.

I don't care.

Secondly, this is ugly business. Ruthless and unseemly and this communique makes me think long and hard about the Zon on a number of levels, and it isn't pretty. (I was already beginning to feel this way from the previous press releases on this front). The thing is I worked with large global accounts for years in Seattle, so I'm aware of how they do business and treat vendors, but whoever is running their communications department (if this is for real) is not being professional on any level whatsoever. I used to do public relations and marketing as well, so I KNOW how it's done.

Wow. Just wow.

And if they've been hacked...bigger problems. Huge implications and we should all be concerned.

Writer  |  Dark, angsty love stuff (I mean, stories)
    Katherine Owen | Website | Facebook | Tumblr Blog | Website 2 | Twitter

Offline Vidya

• View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: August 09, 2014, 12:22:57 am »
    I got it. It seems kind of undignified to me, involving us, their readers and writers in their fight. I dunno, maybe it's just me reacting this way. What do you guys think? I havent read all the responses in this thread yet; will start now.

It's definitely interesting

Offline Kalen ODonnell

• Los Angeles
      • View Profile
      • Bookable Covers
    « Reply #28 on: August 09, 2014, 12:24:27 am »
    I just got it, and the email address it went to is an address I ONLY used to register with KDP - literally the only time that email address is used is for interacting with KDP, and there are no possible links between it and any of my actual pen names. 

So there are only two possibilities as I see it:

1) This email is fake, which means someone has gained access to Amazon's central KDP database, as that's the only way they could be mass emailing all of us to our KDP registered email accounts.

2) This email is legitimate and Amazon is actually asking self-published authors to email blast Hachette as part of their ongoing negotiation tactics.

Quite honestly, I'm not sure which possibility disturbs me more.  That our info is that vulnerable to an outside hacker or that Amazon actually thinks petitioning authors to email their competitor on their behalf is a worthwhile strategy.

If the latter, good lord this has gotten ridiculous.  As Patty said earlier in the thread, Amazon is not our friend.  They are not negotiating with Hachette on our behalf.  Its entirely possible that Amazon emerging victorious from these negotiations will be the better for authors than if Hachette 'wins', but even so, that is entirely incidental to their true goal in these negotiations - aka protecting their bottom line.  They are not crusading for a better future for literature, the arts and authors everywhere, and quite frankly I find recruiting authors into their negotiation tactics under that guise to be actually kinda insulting.

Offline S. Elliot Brandis

• View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: August 09, 2014, 12:25:03 am »
    Got my popcorn with extra (vegan) butter this time! :)
    Vegan butter?

Now I'm disturbed. :p

S. Elliot Brandis | Website | Facebook | Newsletter | Twitter

Offline Christine Kersey

• View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: August 09, 2014, 12:25:44 am »
    I got it too, then came straight here to see what everyone thought.  :o

Offline RaeC

• Oxford, MS
    • Radioactive Logic
      • View Profile
      • Superfictious: Meta and super fiction from the original fiction physicist.
    « Reply #31 on: August 09, 2014, 12:26:05 am »
    Judging by the way the email's written and the heavy-handed way it's trying to get its point across, are we sure James Patterson didn't secretly hack Amazon in an attempt to make Amazon look bad?

Or, more likely, pay a team to ghosthack Amazon?
    « Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 12:33:24 am by AdrianC »
    The Primary Color (Superhero Flash Fiction)
     Verbs)[/URL]

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
    • Destroyer of Science Fiction
      • View Profile
      • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
    « Reply #32 on: August 09, 2014, 12:27:35 am »
    I suggest that anyone who gets it (not me, so far, but I have some really tight spam filters) writes to KDP expressing concern.

Offline vlmain

• WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: August 09, 2014, 12:28:56 am »
    I just received it, too.

Offline Leanne King

• Southend
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: August 09, 2014, 12:29:17 am »
    Wow, what a suspicious lot! Never even crossed my mind that it wasn't legitimate when I opened it this morning. Although the more I think about it, the more I hope I'm proven wrong. But it does seem exactly the sort of thing amazon would do.

Online Lydniz

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Credentials
    « Reply #35 on: August 09, 2014, 12:30:50 am »
    I've just got it too. I don't give a toss about a fight between Godzilla and King Kong. They can leave me out of it.

Offline S. Elliot Brandis

• View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: August 09, 2014, 12:31:12 am »
    Judging by the way the email's written and the heavy-handed way it's trying to get its point across, are we sure James Patterson didn't secretly hack Amazon in an attempt to make Amazon look like bad?
    That's ridiculous. Patterson doesn't even write his *own* stuff.

;)

S. Elliot Brandis | Website | Facebook | Newsletter | Twitter

Offline RaeC

• Oxford, MS
    • Radioactive Logic
      • View Profile
      • Superfictious: Meta and super fiction from the original fiction physicist.
    Re: Readers United
    « Reply #37 on: August 09, 2014, 12:31:44 am »
    Readers United. Heh. If this is legit, I think Amazon and Hachette are both overestimating how much readers actually care about not being able to pre-order a few books.

Maybe this is an important fight for writers and other industry pros, but readers will keep on reading no matter what.
    The Primary Color (Superhero Flash Fiction)
     Verbs)[/URL]

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: August 09, 2014, 12:34:58 am »
    We are not partners in this dispute and it's got fairly little to do with us. Nor does it make any sense to let a bunch of self-publishers willy-nilly fire off emails to a company. And anyway, isn't the personal email address of Hachette's CEO a private thing?

So? Amazon bombs the Hachette CEO's email, so that when he reads his email on Monday, he'll have thousands of stupidly uniformed complaints?

What good would they think that does in the negotiation.

No, I still think it's a scam, or a disgruntled employee, and if I were KDP I'd fire this person on the spot. If this really is from KDP and sanctioned by Amazon (which I doubt), then it's a move that's stupid beyond belief.

Offline Colin Taber

• Australia
    • Reader and writer of fantasy
      • View Profile
      • United States of Vinland
    « Reply #39 on: August 09, 2014, 12:37:27 am »
    Out of curiosity, for those posting saying that they find this disturbing, how is this move wildly different to Hachette enlisting their authors to blog, tweet, email, write newspaper pieces or drop anti-Amazon bombs on TV shows?

Is it just the request that you consider getting involved disturbing?

Amazon should just pull the buy buttons for Hachette and be done with it. I imagine negotiations would restart pretty quick if that happened.

The United States of Vinland is out now!
    Colin Taber | author website | Facebook | New Release Alerts

Offline vlmain

• WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: August 09, 2014, 12:39:00 am »
    That's ridiculous. Patterson doesn't even write his *own* stuff.

;)

That's the funniest thing I've read all week.

Offline D-C

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Author website
    « Reply #41 on: August 09, 2014, 12:40:00 am »
    At the risk of being put in stocks, I for one support what they're doing. Yes, I know, Amazon is not my friend, but they have a point.

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: August 09, 2014, 12:41:26 am »
    Out of curiosity, for those posting saying that they find this disturbing, how is this move wildly different to Hachette enlisting their authors to blog, tweet, email, write newspaper pieces or drop anti-Amazon bombs on TV shows?

Amazon should just pull the buy buttons for Hachette and be done with it. I imagine negotiations would restart pretty quick if that happened.

Because Hachette asks THEIR authors. The authors they invested in, whose book launches they paid for, whose book tours they organised.

The only thing Amazon does for us is proved a service (a handy one, to be sure), but we pay Amazon a commission for selling our books. We are not Amazon's authors.

Offline Kalen ODonnell

• Los Angeles
      • View Profile
      • Bookable Covers
    « Reply #43 on: August 09, 2014, 12:42:03 am »

Because the degree to which Hachette is a business partner to their authors is wildly different to the degree to which Amazon is a business partner to self-published authors.  Its not even apples and oranges, its canned pears and Cheetos.  The whole point of self-publishing is its an entirely different ball game to how traditional publishing works, that's literally THE WHOLE POINT.  So acting like we're directly comparable to authors published through a New York publisher is just completely invalid because we're self-published specifically so as NOT to be like them.

Hachette authors have an extremely vested interest in these negotiations, since they have contracts with Hachette which will be directly affected by whatever contract Hachette signs with Amazon.  We on the other hand, have no contract with anyone.  We have Terms and Conditions.  Not remotely the same thing.
    « Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 12:44:33 am by Kalen ODonnell »

Offline Colin Taber

• Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: August 09, 2014, 12:45:33 am »
    At the risk of being put in stocks, I for one support what they're doing. Yes, I know, Amazon is not my friend, but they have a point.

+1

I don't think this is a hack or a conspiracy, it is just another move in a chess game.

I'm guessing Amazon thought they would have had this whole thing all sorted out by now, but the fact that it is dragging on towards the Christmas buying season has them concerned. I'm sure they also don't like all the mud that's being thrown their way.

Offline Alondo

• England
      • View Profile
      • The Lodestone Series of Science Fiction Books
    « Reply #45 on: August 09, 2014, 12:48:11 am »
    I cannot believe it! Anyone else seen this yet?

Hasn't anyone spotted the inherent contradiction? The email urges authors to write to Hachette, saying, "Stop using your authors as leverage." Wha...?

This kind of rant is far from the usual Amazon fare, which makes me think it can't be genuine. If it is, then Amazon has seriously lost the plot.

On pricing, my view is that Authors should have the freedom to price their own books. End of story.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 12:50:35 am by Alondo »
    The Lodestone Series of Science Fiction

Offline portiadacosta

• United Kingdom
      • View Profile
      • Portia Da Costa's Web Site
    « Reply #46 on: August 09, 2014, 12:49:30 am »
    On further inspection:

The first copy of the message I received came to the email address I use for my UK login as a customer and for UK Author Central and came from [email protected] with the title 'An Important Kindle Request'.

The second copy of the message I received came to the address I use for KDP and as a US customer and for US Author Central and came from [email protected] with the title 'Important Kindle Request'.

If Amazon has been infiltrated, both the UK customer service system and and the KDP system must have been affected.

Worrying... :(

Edited to add... both messages addressed me as 'Dear KDP Author'.
    « Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 12:54:08 am by portiadacosta »
    SUNDAY TIMES Bestselling Author
    Portia Da Costa | author website | blog | facebook | twitter | goodreads

Offline Lucas Bale

• Science-fiction and Suspense author
      • View Profile
      • Lucas Bale
    « Reply #47 on: August 09, 2014, 12:52:39 am »
    +1

I don't think this is a hack or a conspiracy, it is just another move in a chess game.

I'm guessing Amazon thought they would have had this whole thing all sorted out by now, but the fact that it is dragging on towards the Christmas buying season has them concerned. I'm sure they also don't like all the mud that's being thrown their way.

I'm neither disturbed by it, nor angered at receiving it. How else are they going to contact you? You're in a business relationship with them and they want to make a point to you. Whether you agree with it or not, they've contacted you legitimately. It's your right to disagree of course, but I see nothing wrong with them putting their point across. Nor do I find it particularly heavy-handed - it's direct and doesn't waste your valuable time. How else could they have written it?

Lucas Bale | Author Website | Twitter | Goodreads

Offline nobody_important

• View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: August 09, 2014, 12:54:52 am »
    On further inspection:

The first copy of the message I received came to the email address I use for my UK login as a customer and for UK Author Central and came from [email protected] with the title 'An Important Kindle Request'.

The second copy of the message I received came to the address I use for KDP and as a US customer and for US Author Central and came from [email protected] with the title 'Important Kindle Request'.

If Amazon has been infiltrated, both the UK customer service system and and the KDP system must have been affected.

Worrying... :(

Edited to add... both messages addressed me as 'Dear KDP Author'.

A hacker can disguise his mailing address. It's crazy simple.

Offline Colin Taber

• Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: August 09, 2014, 12:56:53 am »
    I'm neither disturbed by it, nor angered at receiving it. How else are they going to contact you? You're in a business relationship with them and they want to make a point to you. Whether you agree with it or not, they've contacted you legitimately. It's your right to disagree of course, but I see nothing wrong with them putting their point across. Nor do I find it particularly heavy-handed - it's direct and doesn't waste your valuable time. How else could they have written it?

I agree with you entirely. I'm surprised at the hostility and shock some people are expressing that they have been contacted.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement