Author Topic: I just got a letter from Amazon about Hachette  (Read 35273 times)  

Offline Colin

• UK
    • View Profile
Re: I just got a letter from Amazon about Hachette
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2014, 01:46:57 am »
Now, if Amazon had offered an enhanced royalty percentage in return for helping them slay the mighty Hachette, that might have stirred my interest!

Anyhow, the only thing I'm predicting for sure is that this thread is going to break all KB length records.

:o

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline 75845

• View Profile
    « Reply #76 on: August 09, 2014, 01:51:42 am »
    Sensible response on the other side of the argument from one of the world's all-time best-selling authors

Paulo Coelho on Twitter

I don't understand this petition against @amazon . Shall writers start protesting against every bookstore that doesn't sell their books?

@EunuchJellyDnut @amazon is a bookstore , not a "cause"

https://twitter.com/paulocoelho/status/497919717835673601

Online Lydniz

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Credentials
    « Reply #77 on: August 09, 2014, 01:53:21 am »
    I'm not shocked or angered at all. I just don't particularly have a horse in this race. If I worked in the mailroom at Unilever and they were in a hostile takeover battle with Procter & Gamble I wouldn't write to P&G asking them to go easy, whatever perks I got from Unilever. It's the same in this case. None of my business.

Offline Colin

• UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #78 on: August 09, 2014, 01:55:29 am »
    I'm not shocked or angered at all. I just don't particularly have a horse in this race. If I worked in the mailroom at Unilever and they were in a hostile takeover battle with Procter & Gamble I wouldn't write to P&G asking them to go easy, whatever perks I got from Unilever. It's the same in this case. None of my business.

Quite right, Lydniz. It could have turned into a soap opera.

Offline katherinef

• View Profile
    « Reply #79 on: August 09, 2014, 01:56:20 am »
    I received the ridiculous email too. Amazon has never done anything for me. Sure, they sell my books, but other retailers do too, and it's not like they're not getting paid for it. But why should I want other people's books to be cheaper? So I can be even more invisible? So Amazon can tell me to price my books even lower? Amazon clearly believes in their worshipers who think they owe Amazon everything and who will jump to help without thinking.
    De gustibus non est disputandum.

Ignore people's pet peeves and write on!

"If you tell me the characters should be smarter, I'm going to wonder if you've actually met any humans." - T

Offline Katherine Roberts

• Devon, UK
      • View Profile
      • Katherine Roberts - Author
    « Reply #80 on: August 09, 2014, 02:00:16 am »
    I just got this too.

Is it just me, or does it sound like something Hugh wrote? Maybe he's moonlighting as a ghostwriter for Amazon now. :P

I thought I recognised some of Hugh in there too! Haven't checked my email yet but I've already found the link on Twitter and Facebook, and shared it on my Facebook timeline with my thoughts. (Incidentally, I have a children's series published in French by Hachette... though they haven't mentioned this dispute to me.)

My feeling is authors are pawns in this game.

Award-winning fantasy and historical fiction for middle grade and teen/YA readers.
    Katherine Roberts | website | blog | Twitter

Offline Dora313

• Detroit, MI
      • View Profile
      • Menace & Whimsy
    Re: Readers United
    « Reply #81 on: August 09, 2014, 02:01:46 am »
    As far as I'm concerned, it's already ugly. I can't believe Amazon has the gall to ask Hachette authors to shut up out of one side of their figurative mouth and to ask us to storm Big Publishing from the other. IMO, it's time for them to start polishing up their concession letter and settle this aspect of the negotiations (I'm sure there are other issues we aren't hearing about; if they give on this, maybe they can get something equally juicy in return).

I also agree that readers will keep reading; they'll buy paperbacks if the ebooks are too expensive.

Dora Badger | Blog | Other Blog | Twitter | Day Job

Offline Harry Manners

• Bedfordshire, England
    • Scribbler of Things
      • View Profile
      • HarryManners.net
    « Reply #82 on: August 09, 2014, 02:07:06 am »
    Just woke up to it. Already spat out a retweet about it.

I'm on the fence. I don't agree with dragging authors into the debate at all, but Hachette's already done that, and Amazon has a whole army of head-strong, businessmen and businesswomen publishing through their platform, and at least some of them have enough weight to add some pressure to the issue -- meanwhile, I get the feeling that Hachette's super-giant bestselling authors are just screaming in the dark, bound and gagged by contracts.
    Frost (Ruin Saga #2.5): 100%

Fray (Ruin Saga #3): 10%

The Mantle: 50%
    Harry Manners | Blog | Author Website | Facebook | Twitter | Mailing List

Offline Dora313

• Detroit, MI
      • View Profile
      • Menace & Whimsy
    « Reply #83 on: August 09, 2014, 02:24:33 am »
    Well first off, I don't think Hachette should enlist their authors to join the fight.

Second, Amazon is not my publisher, they're my distributor. Just like B&N, Smashwords, DriveThruDigital, Kobo, and iBooks are also my distributors. I'm not an Amazon author.

Third, if Amazon wants to prove they truly care about indies, then give us the same deals they've given trads. That means the ability to join KU without exclusivity, 60% of list price for KU borrows, and the ability to utilize pre-order buttons. If they're not willing to give me the same deal they're willing to offer trads (and the same deals that Amazon competitors offer), I'm not willing to take sides in their measuring contest.

^^ All of this.

And it did irritate me; just a little while ago, Amazon was asking Hachette authors to stop with the complaining although their tactics are directly affecting those authors' bottom lines now, not in some possible future time when a handful of $19.99 ebooks have caused the entire world to burn their Kindles and resurrected print to the point Border's is back. Now they want us - a group that's making them money hand over fist, a group they couldn't bother to notify before taking KU live - to start pestering Hachette. They even have the nerve to dress it up like they think we're actually relevant to this discussion. I mean, most of us have no relationship with Hachette.

No, thank you.

Dora Badger | Blog | Other Blog | Twitter | Day Job

Offline legion

• CanDoLand
      • View Profile
    « Reply #84 on: August 09, 2014, 02:32:07 am »
    I'm not shocked or angered at all. I just don't particularly have a horse in this race... None of my business.

^^This.

Meanwhile, I am way too amused by this whole thing. Guess I'm one of few who smiled at the Amazon letter!
    I agree with Amazon about keeping the price of e-books somewhat low (under $12), but what do I care if some publishing company decides to price sky high?
    « Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 12:14:28 pm by legion »

Offline Chinese Writer

• View Profile
    « Reply #85 on: August 09, 2014, 02:50:44 am »
    Looks like I won the lottery too. I hit the delete button. As a reader, there are plenty of low cost books to choose from already from indies that just as good as trad pub. As a writer, no way do I want trad pub lowering the prices of their books and competing with me. Nope, they can keep their prices sky high. I have no skin in this game.

Offline Colin

• UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #86 on: August 09, 2014, 02:52:18 am »
    Many of the reactions on this thread are laughably over the top.   Ninety-nine percent of the people on this thread would not be pubbing if it wasn't for Zon.  Then they type things like  "what have they ever done for me."

- except create a device and market that allowed me top fulfill my dream of being a full-time writer.

- except hammer out millions of emails daily promoting books by indies.

- except offer a royalty payment at 35% (when it started) which blew away the rate paid by anyone that was lucky enough to get past the trad pub gatekeepers.

Shall I go on? - I think not., eh?

Amazon have presented their point of view to authors that use their platform - either react, or don't.  They haven't given any of us any type of ultimatum. Save the faux outrage for something that really matters, eh?   

I'm not seeing faux outrage or genuine outrage in this thread - just a general unwillingness to take sides in a battle of the giants.

Offline David Wisehart

• View Profile
      • Character Secrets
    « Reply #87 on: August 09, 2014, 03:00:46 am »
    Amazon has done a lot for indie authors.

Hachette won't even glance at a manuscript unless you first hire a literary pimp (for 15% commission) to hook you up.

Hachette is a dying relic.

Let them die.

Offline cahocking

• Canberra, Australia
    • Writing is a joy and a passion.
      • View Profile
      • Website for C. A. HOCKING
    « Reply #88 on: August 09, 2014, 03:03:41 am »
    BEWARE! I also received the email, regarded it with suspicion, got onto Kindleboards and was following this thread when my husband came into the room and told he'd also received the email. He is NOT AN AUTHOR and has NEVER BOUGHT A BOOK from Amazon. The email went to an email address he uses exclusively for purchasing IT products from Amazon. He has been an IT professional for over forty years and is of the opinion that Amazon have been hacked big time and that the email should be ignored and deleted. I've done both.

Offline FictionalWriter

• View Profile
    « Reply #89 on: August 09, 2014, 03:05:12 am »
    I'd have really thought they'd have removed Hachette's books from their site before coming to this...

I worked over 20 years in corporate America, and the only time I've ever seen anything remotely close to what's going on between Hachette and Amazon is in politics.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 03:08:41 am by romanceauthor »

Offline Colin

• UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #90 on: August 09, 2014, 03:12:14 am »
    BEWARE! I also received the email, regarded it with suspicion, got onto Kindleboards and was following this thread when my husband came into the room and told he'd also received the email. He is NOT AN AUTHOR and has NEVER BOUGHT A BOOK from Amazon. The email went to an email address he uses exclusively for purchasing IT products from Amazon. He has been an IT professional for over forty years and is of the opinion that Amazon have been hacked big time and that the email should be ignored and deleted. I've done both.

To my semi-trained eye, the email message source (header) info looks genuine.

Edited to add: But to my semi-trained brain, this just doesn't seem typical of any KDP mail-out I've read before. Weird!
    « Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 03:59:18 am by Colin »

Offline Colin Taber

• Australia
    • Reader and writer of fantasy
      • View Profile
      • United States of Vinland
    « Reply #91 on: August 09, 2014, 03:14:40 am »
    Sensible response on the other side of the argument from one of the world's all-time best-selling authors

Paulo Coelho on Twitter

I don't understand this petition against @amazon . Shall writers start protesting against every bookstore that doesn't sell their books?

@EunuchJellyDnut @amazon is a bookstore , not a "cause"

https://twitter.com/paulocoelho/status/497919717835673601

This is superb.

The United States of Vinland is out now!
    Colin Taber | author website | Facebook | New Release Alerts

Offline D-C

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Author website
    « Reply #92 on: August 09, 2014, 03:15:30 am »
    If I was a hacker and I'd hacked amazon the last thing I'd want to get involved in would be the Hachette dispute! ;)

Offline Writerly Writer

• View Profile
    « Reply #93 on: August 09, 2014, 03:18:46 am »
    No, you'd send out an email promoting your new book for 99cents as being "One of the best books of our time". :P

Offline D-C

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Author website
    « Reply #94 on: August 09, 2014, 03:20:56 am »
    No, you'd send out an email promoting your new book for 99cents as being "One of the best books of our time". :P

^This!^ lol

Offline Colin Taber

• Australia
    • Reader and writer of fantasy
      • View Profile
      • United States of Vinland
    « Reply #95 on: August 09, 2014, 03:21:45 am »

An email?

Maybe, but that email would be going out every few hours!

The United States of Vinland is out now!
    Colin Taber | author website | Facebook | New Release Alerts

Offline CfaE

• UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #96 on: August 09, 2014, 03:27:34 am »
    I was a little bit surprised when I opened the email, but I wasn't upset by it. The main points in the email are all accurate as far as I know. It seemed to me that Amazon were keeping their authors informed. Which, with all the spin in the media, I can see being a necessary report to send out to people. How many support emails did Amazon receive after Colbert slammed them with some BS? I'm not surprised that Amazon are emailing people to keep them informed about the reality of it all. Companies often send out media blasts to their suppliers, customers and share holders about changes in their company or industry.

It was a little bit unusual because it seemed very personal, like a friend emailing me, but I kind of liked the reference about eBooks being the new paperbacks. In my opinion, they should have brought up the book men of old too, since they're reappearing in the digital world now, and selling independently again.

My only frown moment was the request at the end. I am happy to show some support to Amazon on this because I agree on their pricing structure. I want all readers, even the poor kids, to be able to afford my books, and I have been thoroughly unimpressed by Hachette's spin on the subject for a while now. When it all boils down to the end user, the reader, I want all my readers to be able to afford my books. High prices will make books into elitist items. Since the internet was invented in the 70's so that a kid in Africa could read a book in a library in the UK for free, which still hasn't happened yet, I'm strongly on the side of keeping literature affordable for everyone.

My problem is the kind of support that Amazon is asking for. I'd happily email Amazon and let them know why I appreciate their services and why I'd like to keep ebooks at a price everyone can afford. I'm not comfortable with emailing Hachette, a company who are strangers to me, to tell them off. Personally, I'd rather leave Amazon a public 5 star review than privately email a 1-star to Hachette.

Offline Gentleman Zombie

• View Profile
    « Reply #97 on: August 09, 2014, 03:28:13 am »
    Well pretty much every author board I'm a member of is talking about this. So I don't think it's a hack at all. That letter is much too well written and focused to be the work of some random hacker. It's more than likely in retaliation to Hatchette's move to get their authors to blog and petition against Amazon.

Personally, I don't like it.  As writers we are  not the pawns of either Amazon or Hatchette. Also why in the world would indie writers want Hatchette to lower their prices in order to compete with us on our playing field?

I see no benefit for writers participating in this - none at all.

Offline D-C

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Author website
    Re: Readers United
    « Reply #98 on: August 09, 2014, 03:29:39 am »
    Readers do care. It directly involves them. This is already on GoodReads forums.

Offline Accord64

• View Profile
    « Reply #99 on: August 09, 2014, 03:33:51 am »
    I think this email is not typically how Amazon behaves. Until I get confirmation, I'm treating it as spam (and a disturbing hack of their system).

KBoards.com

• Advertisement