Author Topic: How do I send a PDF Attachment with lots of pictures to my kindle library?  (Read 1595 times)  

Offline Toby

• MA
    • View Profile
I received a PDF attachment in an email from someone, which is a manual with lots of pictures. On my ipad, I clicked on the attachment. It opened. I saw that I could open it with the kindle app. It worked, but then it goes away. I want it in my kindle library. I then clicked on to send the attachment to my email. Can someone walk me through how to get this attachment as an ebook on my kindle from my ipad? I have never done the Send To Kindle before & a little nervous about messing this up. I want to send this manual to the Fire & IPad. Thanks!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    Re: How do I send a PDF Attachment with lots of pictures to my kindle library?
    « Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 04:44:56 am »
    If you have it on your computer, you should be able to send it with the Send to Kindle app.  Have you downloaded that and set it up? That's the first step. 

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=201238330

To set it up you'll specify your Amazon account credentials and then you should see all kindles -- devices or apps -- listed.

To send a document TO a kindle, find the file on your computer and right click. One of the menu options should be "Send to Kindle". Click that and you'll get a pop up where you can make some changes if you wish. It pulls the document title from the file name, and leaves the 'author' at whatever it was last time you used it. So you'll probably want to adjust those.  There are some other things you can change. One is that you can specify for the file to be saved or not at Amazon. I think the default is that it does save it, but you'll want to double check since the main thing is that you definitely want it there.

You pretty much can't mess it up, so, really, don't worry about that! :)

BIG CAVEAT:  There is a file size limit! :o ! :o ! :o  I don't recall what it is just now.  But it is possible that the file you're talking about, since it has lots of pictures, is too big.  That said, I think that limit is mostly for kindle format documents whereas you have a PDF.

Alternative: have you set up your email on your Fire? If so, and you can get the email there, you should be able to open it from the Fire the same as from your iPad. In this case, however, they will be two discrete copies. No syncing, for sure.  That said, I'm not sure PDF would sync anyway -- I've not had occasion to try.

Hope that helps! Good luck.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Toby

• MA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 10:02:43 am »
    Thank you! I was hoping/wishing I could do this from my tablet directly to my tablet, but from what you said, I I will have to use my laptop. I don't have the Send To Kindle App on my laptop yet. Thanks for the reminder. What happened was that I paid for a paper manual. Then was told that they ran out of manuals. Then was told that I would get an eBook. I did email him to refund my order, since I would rather purchase the eBook directly from Amazon or his site in the right eBook format. That never happened. Then, he tells me I sent the eBook as an attachment, which is in PDF.  :'(  I'll start charging my laptop now.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 12:13:10 pm »
    There is a send to kindle for other than 'real' computers -- might check if that would do what you need.  I know there are several links on that page - but it looks like NOT one for iThings but there is, apparently one for android. Whether it would work on a Fire I don't know.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline SusanCassidy

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 02:31:08 pm »
    All you need to do is find out your iPad's Kindle email address (if it has one), and email the pdf to that, with "convert" in the subject line.  If the iPad doesn't have an email address, you will have to email it to a real Kindle, then copy the resulting file to your iPad, via the File Sharing part of iTunes.

Offline Toby

• MA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 04:44:05 pm »
    Thanks! I'll check that first.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 06:33:37 pm »
    All you need to do is find out your iPad's Kindle email address (if it has one), and email the pdf to that, with "convert" in the subject line.  If the iPad doesn't have an email address, you will have to email it to a real Kindle, then copy the resulting file to your iPad, via the File Sharing part of iTunes.

Except he may not want to convert -- a PDF with lots of pictures isn't going to convert well to kindle format. 

The iPad kindle app would have an address -- but you don't need that if you use Send to Kindle. Plus, I know you can have it save a copy using Send to Kindle -- I'm not sure that happens if you just use the email address.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Toby

• MA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 07:52:54 pm »
         Thanks so much for your help. It really gave me courage to keep your instructions visible on either my ipad or laptop. I got it!!! I downloaded the App. I went to the Doc's. I right clicked on the Doc. It listed send to kindle. A box showed up with my devices like the kindle books do. I sent it to my 7" & 8.9" Fires & my iPad Mini. There was also a box that was checked that said send to the cloud. Yay! I checked my devices. I got 2 PDF's on  each tablet. I just deleted one of them. Don't care as long as I got it. Whew!
         When I first started, I saw the attachment on my Ipad's email, but I decided to see if I could send from my laptop like I did many years ago. I clicked forward, but the attachment would not show up in a new email. I even tried reply the button. I even sent it to my Fire's email addy just in case the attachment was there, for the fun of it. CS immediately emailed me back saying that there was no attachment. I was so impressed with zon at the speed of the reply. I really don't think that was why I got 2 PDF's.
         It was really easy as you said, but I would have loved to be able to do this from a tablet. I didn't try the Android Choice for the Fire. Maybe 1 day, I'll try it.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 05:42:37 am »
    Glad you got it where you wanted it!
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Toby

• MA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 06:29:46 pm »
    Thank you & thanks for your help & everyone else's help. I really appreciate the time that it took to write down the instructions for me. I was very relieved that it worked!!!

Offline Adaman14

• Atlana
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 08:21:30 pm »
    This is a little off topic, but there is a wonderful iPad app called Goodreader that reads PDF files quite well.  It also allows for very large file transfer via WiFi as a WiFi host.  You enable the WiFi connection with the Goodreader WiFi icon and it tells you what IP to open as a mapped IP in Windows explorer. (it even gives instructions on how to do that). Once mapped you can transfer bunches of stuff to the folders on Goodreader from Windows Explorer (drag and drop) and from there open it in different apps on the iPad.  I would suggest using the Goodreader for reading PDF files as the Kindle App does not register PDF as a file type on iPad.

The point of this post is that there is a plugin for Calibre, 'iOS Reader Applications', which you can set to point to Goodreader on the iPad.  Then when you plug your iPad to the computer via USB, Caliber will see the iPad as a device and you can manage all of your PDFs on the iPad using Calibre.

Just sayin...  (and I hate it when people say 'just sayin'). ::)

http://www.goodreader.com/

Offline Toby

• MA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 07:48:08 pm »
    Thank you for the suggestion. That's a great idea. I'll keep this in mind. Actually, someone mentioned in another group in a thread about "Do you still use a computer?" ( when I mentioned my experience) that all I had to do was to open the PDF in the IBooks App, & it would appear in my iBooks. It did! However, I wanted it in my kindle library in the cloud. I'm glad that I can do both.

Offline Toby

• MA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 07:34:37 pm »
    I just ordered an ebook tonight, a PDF. I forgot what steps I did the last time, but I should have looked for this thread before purchasing. It was so easy the last time following the instructions here. I ended up losing the PDF. It's gone. I had it opened with Kindle. The ebook downloaded but I clicked on the top left side on the menu & I saw "my library" listed. I tapped on that, thinking the book would be in my Amazon Library. It took me to my myd&k, my amazon library but no book in my Doc's. When I went back, the PDF was gone. I didn't see a place to put the PDF on my homepage on my ipad. I usually do that, just in case I need to go back. I did see it say that I could email the PDF. I didn't, but I wished I did. I tried the link to download the ebook again, but it said the link expired. No book. I emailed the person tonight & am still waiting. I wish these sites came with instructions. You want my book, here's how to do it. LOL!

Offline Toby

• MA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 09:19:50 pm »
    I got the reply back.  :D. Clicked on the link. This time I emailed the Doc/PDF to myself. I don't have time tonight, but I'll take out my laptop hopefully tomorrow & follow the directions that were given here.

Offline Toby

• MA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 08:21:53 pm »
         It worked. Yaaa!
         On my Fire, I saw that you there is a Tab to send Doc's to the cloud, under the Doc's Tab. Has anyone done that?  What's the proceedure of doing that?

« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 08:24:19 pm by Toby »

Offline devalong

• View Profile
      • My site, sign up for my list
    « Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 05:51:29 am »
    On my iPad I have a PDF I dowloaded. The Kindle app loaded it. By default my iPad app was opening to the cloud, so when I went back in I couldn't see my PDF. But when I clicked the little "Device" tab at the bottom, there it was. This on an iPad Mini 3.

Kinky/sexy billonaire/shifter novelettes.
    Deva Long | My author page | My website

KBoards.com

• Advertisement