Kindle Forum banner

KBoards Yellow Pages ***Edit: This feature is no longer functional.***

446K views 130 replies 83 participants last post by  ImaWriter 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
March 2021 Update: KBoards' founder, Harvey Chute, created the Yellow Pages as an add-on to the forum's original Simple Machines software. This and other add-ons fell away when the forum was moved to XenForo software by the forum's current owners in early 2021.

Thanks, Becca (moderator)

___

For many people, KBoards is the go-to place for finding author services like Editors, Cover Artists, Publishers, etc. We've maintained a list of resources over the years in our Yellow Pages.

Today, we are launching a completely new Yellow Pages for author services - and we've expanded it to include reader services as well.

This replaces the forum-based list of Yellow Pages services that we previously used. (Don't worry: if you had a service on that listing, we've migrated it to our new Yellow Pages.)

Here's the link:

The page initially comes up with a randomized list of all services. From there, you can filter the list by type of service, and sort it.

Here are the different types of services that the list contains:

...and note we've added a reader service for Book Recommendations:

So how do you get your service listed in our Yellow Pages? It's easy, and completely self-service. Just click the link at the top of the Yellow Pages ("add or change your service info"), and you'll be taken here:

*Special note: our YP has a lot of editors and cover artists... and to date we don't have many services in other areas like: audiobook services, video trailer production, printing, software, and author website design. If you use these services, please pass this tip along to those service providers -- for them to add themselves to our Yellow Pages!

Some features and benefits of our KBoards Yellow Pages:
  • Completely self-service; no waiting for requests for adds or updates!
  • It's the only online Yellow Pages for authors/readers that has links to Discussion Threads about each service. See what other customers are saying!
  • You can provide a logo (about 200x200) to distinguish your service.
  • Easy and consistent ways for prospective customers to contact you, with links to: website, discussion thread, email, or KBoards Personal Message (PM).
  • We provide you with a link to your Yellow Pages listing, that you can include in your own website or forum signature. (The link code is on the right lower side of the setup page.)
  • You can have multiple services listed.
  • Once you have added one service, you can duplicate it to create another similar one. For example, you might want to copy your Editing service information into a new entry for your Formatting service.
  • Secure: only you can update your Yellow Pages listing.
  • You can provide a full-sized (728x90) banner which will be displayed directly below your listing.

Finally: a warmhearted thank you to our dear friend Jeff, who maintained our previous Yellow Pages for a long time, up until his passing earlier this year.

P.S. If for some reason you want to view our previous Yellow Page listings, we'll keep them around (unmaintained) for a few weeks, here: KBoards Yellow Pages for Authors

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FAQ

Yellow Pages: (http://kboards.com/yp)

Q. How do I use the Search function?

A. Just enter a search term and press the "search" button. Note that this only searches within service names (e.g. "Karen's Editing Services"), not descriptions.

Q. I see a service in the Yellow Pages that does not appear to be active anymore.

A. Let us know about it by posting in this thread. Thanks. We want every service listed in the Yellow Pages to be actively supported.

Q. I see a service in the Yellow Pages that I think is disreputable!

A. That is one of the values of the Discussion Thread link in each listing. If you want to check out a service, or comment on a service, go to its Discussion Thread. That's the best way to vet out the professionalism of a service.

If a service is particularly egregious, or clearly violates Amazon's TOS, we will remove it from the listing. Comment in this thread to tell us about those.

Q. I know I have to be a KB member to add an entry in the Yellow Pages... but is it only viewable by KB members?

No - the Yellow Pages are viewable by anyone, whether they're a KB member or not.

Setup Page: (Kindle Forum)

Q. Can I put special characters in my "name" listing to affect the sort?

No. The sort feature is only valid if it uses the actual business name. Please do not add special characters such as asterisks or other characters, or leading spaces, or words not actually in your business name in order to change the sort order, thanks!

Q. Why can't I enter HTML into the description for my service?

A. We don't allow that for security reasons. Also, it keeps the description area somewhat consistent, by preventing people from using extra-large font sizes or garish colors.

You can use simple mark-up in your descriptions to make bold and italics: use [nobbc][/nobbc] and [nobbc][/nobbc] tags for that. You can also include web URLs, such as a URL to your Facebook page. But put those URLs right in the text, not in the form of an HTML anchor tag.

Q. Sometimes I see a backslash in a field on the setup page.

A. You can ignore those. They won't be displayed on the Yellow Pages listing itself.

Q. I have a Yellow Pages listing, but when I click the "edit" link, it tells me I don't have access.

A. First, make sure you're logged into KBoards. If you still can't edit, it's likely because someone else added the Yellow Pages entry. Post in this thread to tell us about it and we'll get it sorted out.

Q. I'd like to have multiple people (e.g. my staff) be able to edit my Yellow Pages listing.

A. Sorry, that is currently not possible. Each Yellow Pages listing is linked to a single KBoards account.

Q. I have a Yellow Pages listing, but I can't edit it anymore because I've been banned from KBoards!

A. Sorry, there's no workaround for this one. We only ban repeat offenders, so take care to respect our moderator warnings and avoid being banned in the first place.

Q. I'd like to add a service, but I don't want to have a Discussion Thread in the Writers' Cafe.

A. You must have a discussion thread. This is one of the distinctive features of our Yellow Pages, both for service providers and for customers. Encourage your customers to comment in your discussion thread.

Q. Can I set up a Yellow Pages service entry without being registered as a member on KBoards?

A. No. We use KBoards forum security to manage the Yellow Pages editing process.

Q. The banner in my Yellow Pages listing looks squashed / stretched / scaled.

A. Check the dimensions of your banner graphic. Banners, which appear directly below your listing, need to be in standard size, which is 728x90 pixels. If your graphic has dimensions different than that, we resize it to display as 728x90.

See less See more
#53 ·
Harvey, one book promo ad advertises Facebook group promotions, and it links to fiverr.com gigs that offer paid Amazon reviews and Kindle Unlimited borrows, which commit fraud and are against Amazon's terms of service. The Facebook promotion is ineffective (see forum thread http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,215904.0.html), so Roxana's only real services for authors are the paid reviews and borrows.

I can't link directly to the ad, but the user name is roxanam84, if that's any help. The listing is "eBook Promotion to over 100k potential readers (Book Promotions)."

#58 ·
Harvey said:
...(There is a "Publicity" category. Is that close enough to "Marketing" that it would cover your services? I'm not certain that it would be clear to have separate categories for Publicity and Marketing, but am open to your thoughts on that. Thanks!)
Hi there. I agree with having a marketing category, as publicity and marketing are two very different animals. I know this is an older comment, but I would love to see a marketing category. Thanks!

#59 ·
Hi. I'm confused on the "creating a thread in writer's cafe" requirement. Do I create a thread directly in writer's cafe for our publishing service and use that url for the thread link in the YP listing?

(I'm the SoMe manager for this client, and I'm trying to understand the requirement for the listing I created for them.)

Thanks in advance!

#61 ·
This looks like a great opportunity for authors and service providers. I tried to load my ad and it is not showing up when I visit the Yellow Pages. I linked it to my Writer's Cafe post from around January.

Also, I am not sure how to add my logo and banner. I am using Chrome as my browser and when I clicked on the question marks for each of those, nothing showed up. Can anyone point me in the right direction for info on how to add one's logo and banner to the Yellow Pages ad?

Thanks so much in advance for any insights.

#62 ·
NikkiBuschEditing said:
This looks like a great opportunity for authors and service providers. I tried to load my ad and it is not showing up when I visit the Yellow Pages. I linked it to my Writer's Cafe post from around January.

Also, I am not sure how to add my logo and banner. I am using Chrome as my browser and when I clicked on the question marks for each of those, nothing showed up. Can anyone point me in the right direction for info on how to add one's logo and banner to the Yellow Pages ad?

Thanks so much in advance for any insights.
It looks like you have it resolved, based on your Yellow Pages entry:
http://www.kboards.com/yp/index.php/?p_search=nikki&action=search&p_page=

(As you probably figured out, the question marks will display a tooltip for each field when the cursor is hovered over them.)

#63 ·
Thanks so much. Yes, I figured it out. I put my images on Photobucket and got URLs for them that way. For some reason, the question marks didn't open (I'm using Chrome), so I couldn't see what they said. Not sure why that is, but all is well now. Thank you!

Nikki

#64 ·
AURORAWOLF BOOKS
Bonnie Turner
Author - Editor - Proofreader​

Seeking serious writers only - no rough drafts. My expertise is proofreading, but I will offer suggestions and light edits as needed. Turnaround is about 2 weeks, depending on the nature of the work and my schedule.

About My Business

I am a professionally published author with a great eye for detail. I can help you polish your manuscript before self-publishing or submitting to agents, editors, or business clients. Today, it is more important than ever to make sure your work is as good as it can be.

REFERENCES

"Bonnie Turner's keen eye and practical knowledge of proper punctuation, grammar. and sentence structure are a valuable asset to any novel in its draft stages or the final phase prior to publication. I highly recommend her as a proofreader and copy editor." - Loretta Giacoletto, author of Chicago's Headmistress and other great books. (March 24, 2015)

"I highly recommend the Copyediting-Proofreading services offered by Bonnie Turner. Her work on my novel was prompt, professional, comprehensive and affordable. She is attentive to every detail and provides thoughtful suggestions. The result is a clean manuscript that can be presented to readers and agents with complete confidence." - Daniel A. Smith, author of Storykeeper (June 30, 2015)

"I highly recommend Bonnie Turner as a copy editor and proofreader. Bonnie has a keen eye for catching those pesky errors you thought you'd weeded out, and a wonderful "ear" for the written word. She found more than a few grammar and punctuation errors in the supposedly "clean" manuscript I'd sent her to edit. Also, she pinpointed many places where the writing could have been more fluent and succinctly worded. Bonnie's editing provided the final polish my manuscript needed to make it ready for publication." - Inge Moore, author of Racing on a Wire, and other novels and short stories. (June 2015)

"I highly recommend Bonnie. She is a professional with great skill at writing, editing, and proofreading. What's more, she gives 150% to anything she attempts to do. You are in very good hands when you work with Bonnie." - Mary McPhee, author of Flowers in a Window (June 2015)

REQUIREMENTS

* Please, no first or rough drafts. The author should have some knowledge of the basics of grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure. Even so, mistakes happen. If something isn't clear, I will question it or, with your permission, correct minor errors in spelling and punctuation.

* Prefer MS Word documents. Can do Track Changes. At this time, I do not offer proofreading of hard copy.

* No handwritten documents.

* Prefer fiction, nonfiction, short stories, children's books, novels, e-books (proofreading & minor edits - may help with e-book formatting if needed), biographies, business letters, resumes, obituaries, ad copy, term papers, and articles.

* No highly technical, foreign language, science fiction, or other work that requires extensive - and costly - research. Some foreign words are fine, but author must provide a style sheet with the correct spellings of unusual names, places, definitions, and special expressions.

References: The Chicago Manual of Style and AP Style.

Payment through PayPal. (No personal checks.) I will send an invoice from PayPal but cannot begin work until the transaction is complete. If you do not have a PayPal account, when you receive the invoice, click "Pay Now" and look for a link saying you do not have PayPal then follow the instructions to pay with a credit card.

Deposit one-half down on acceptance of book-length manuscript; balance on completion. (Negotiable)

5% discount if paid in full with submission of manuscript.

Money-back guarantee if not completely satisfied.

PRICE LIST

Less than 20 pages: $1.75 per page. Minimum $15
Proofreading/light edits: $5.00 per 1000 words (TNR 12-pt. font)
Proofreading only: $2.00 per 250-word page

Thank you for your interest. Please e-mail me and let me know what you have. (Type "PROOFREADING" or "EDITING" in the subject line.) I'll get back to you shortly.

aurorawolf.bonnieturner.editor@gmail.com

#65 ·
Hi everyone,

I've been holding some 'novel writing' classes in my local community, which has gone down surprisingly well. A by-product is that it's got me more involved in the production / publishing side of things. I've been doing a lot of proofreading, re-writing and even some ghost-writing.

So, I thought I'd offer my proofreading services here. As I'm not established yet, I'm happy to work at a reduced rate. I have some projects lined up for October, but I'm free for the rest of September. I believe I would be especially useful to those starting out as I can quickly format ebook files, too, and hopefully help people avoid the pitfalls that I fell into.

Like you guys, I've been there and done that, and I'm not interested in giving a critique - unless you want me to. I just want to provide a quick and discreet service.

If anyone has anything in need of a quick turnaround, please let me on Lukermallory [at] gmail [dot] com. Feel free to send sample pages.

Cheers,
Luke

#67 ·
Betibup33 said:
Hi everyone...
I totally new here, and I hope that i catch some business :)
I'm cover designer and work for Betibup33 Design team...

Our Yellow pages and more information you can find here:

http://www.kboards.com/yp/index.php/?p_search=betibup33&action=search&p_page=

All the best, and please support us... ;)
I've used Betibup33 for two of my covers, and I love the work she does. A lot of my readers love the second cover in the series. You should check out her work.

#71 ·
I wanted to add to my Saille Design services listing in the Yellow Pages. Beyond Book Cover Design, I offer the complete range of graphic design services, including, but not limited to:
  • Art Direction and Consultation (Liaison/Direction of original illustration) for both online and print production
  • Marketing Collateral Materials (Bookmarks, Postcards) for both online and print production
  • Business Stationary and Logo Design
  • Catalog Page/Flyer Design for both online and print production
  • Advertising Design for spot ads, article headers, and support graphics including specialty items

My fees begin at US$50 per side and all my work is unique project-derived design, no stock design. Any additional photography or other images used are billed at my cost or are client supplied.

#72 ·
Hi there!  I recently added my services to the Yellow Pages. Then I updated it with a new banner; when I did, it seemed to create a second listing for me. I now see my listing twice, once with the banner, once without. I've noticed a few people's services listed multiple times, as well. Is this just a glitch when we update our listing? Thanks!

#73 ·
Hi, may I please request access to edit the YP listing for BookRazor (http://www.kboards.com/yp/index.php/?p_service=Virtual+Assistants&p_sort=name&action=go&p_page=)? I am the new owner of the site/service.

You can see verification of this in our thread in the Writer's Cafe: hhttp://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,217769.msg3164006.html#msg3164006

Happy Holidays,
Dane

#74 ·
bookrazor said:
Hi, may I please request access to edit the YP listing for BookRazor (http://www.kboards.com/yp/index.php/?p_service=Virtual+Assistants&p_sort=name&action=go&p_page=)? I am the new owner of the site/service.

You can see verification of this in our thread in the Writer's Cafe:
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,217769.msg3164006.html#msg3164006

Happy Holidays,
Dane
Dane--

As the YP listings are tied to a user account, you'd have to either take over the user account, which doesn't seem possible as Martin will still want his own account, or create a new listing. If you need any help grabbing images, etc, let me know.

Betsy

#75 ·
EditorKelliCollins said:
Hi there! I recently added my services to the Yellow Pages. Then I updated it with a new banner; when I did, it seemed to create a second listing for me. I now see my listing twice, once with the banner, once without. I've noticed a few people's services listed multiple times, as well. Is this just a glitch when we update our listing? Thanks!
Kelly,

sorry, I've just seen this; thanks for letting us know. I'll take a look and remove the one without the banner. I'm not sure if there's a glitch or not, but we'll look into it!

Betsy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.