Kindle Forum banner

KBoards Yellow Pages ***Edit: This feature is no longer functional.***

446K views 130 replies 83 participants last post by  ImaWriter 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
March 2021 Update: KBoards' founder, Harvey Chute, created the Yellow Pages as an add-on to the forum's original Simple Machines software. This and other add-ons fell away when the forum was moved to XenForo software by the forum's current owners in early 2021.

Thanks, Becca (moderator)

___

For many people, KBoards is the go-to place for finding author services like Editors, Cover Artists, Publishers, etc. We've maintained a list of resources over the years in our Yellow Pages.

Today, we are launching a completely new Yellow Pages for author services - and we've expanded it to include reader services as well.

This replaces the forum-based list of Yellow Pages services that we previously used. (Don't worry: if you had a service on that listing, we've migrated it to our new Yellow Pages.)

Here's the link:

The page initially comes up with a randomized list of all services. From there, you can filter the list by type of service, and sort it.

Here are the different types of services that the list contains:

...and note we've added a reader service for Book Recommendations:

So how do you get your service listed in our Yellow Pages? It's easy, and completely self-service. Just click the link at the top of the Yellow Pages ("add or change your service info"), and you'll be taken here:

*Special note: our YP has a lot of editors and cover artists... and to date we don't have many services in other areas like: audiobook services, video trailer production, printing, software, and author website design. If you use these services, please pass this tip along to those service providers -- for them to add themselves to our Yellow Pages!

Some features and benefits of our KBoards Yellow Pages:
  • Completely self-service; no waiting for requests for adds or updates!
  • It's the only online Yellow Pages for authors/readers that has links to Discussion Threads about each service. See what other customers are saying!
  • You can provide a logo (about 200x200) to distinguish your service.
  • Easy and consistent ways for prospective customers to contact you, with links to: website, discussion thread, email, or KBoards Personal Message (PM).
  • We provide you with a link to your Yellow Pages listing, that you can include in your own website or forum signature. (The link code is on the right lower side of the setup page.)
  • You can have multiple services listed.
  • Once you have added one service, you can duplicate it to create another similar one. For example, you might want to copy your Editing service information into a new entry for your Formatting service.
  • Secure: only you can update your Yellow Pages listing.
  • You can provide a full-sized (728x90) banner which will be displayed directly below your listing.

Finally: a warmhearted thank you to our dear friend Jeff, who maintained our previous Yellow Pages for a long time, up until his passing earlier this year.

P.S. If for some reason you want to view our previous Yellow Page listings, we'll keep them around (unmaintained) for a few weeks, here: KBoards Yellow Pages for Authors

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FAQ

Yellow Pages: (http://kboards.com/yp)

Q. How do I use the Search function?

A. Just enter a search term and press the "search" button. Note that this only searches within service names (e.g. "Karen's Editing Services"), not descriptions.

Q. I see a service in the Yellow Pages that does not appear to be active anymore.

A. Let us know about it by posting in this thread. Thanks. We want every service listed in the Yellow Pages to be actively supported.

Q. I see a service in the Yellow Pages that I think is disreputable!

A. That is one of the values of the Discussion Thread link in each listing. If you want to check out a service, or comment on a service, go to its Discussion Thread. That's the best way to vet out the professionalism of a service.

If a service is particularly egregious, or clearly violates Amazon's TOS, we will remove it from the listing. Comment in this thread to tell us about those.

Q. I know I have to be a KB member to add an entry in the Yellow Pages... but is it only viewable by KB members?

No - the Yellow Pages are viewable by anyone, whether they're a KB member or not.

Setup Page: (Kindle Forum)

Q. Can I put special characters in my "name" listing to affect the sort?

No. The sort feature is only valid if it uses the actual business name. Please do not add special characters such as asterisks or other characters, or leading spaces, or words not actually in your business name in order to change the sort order, thanks!

Q. Why can't I enter HTML into the description for my service?

A. We don't allow that for security reasons. Also, it keeps the description area somewhat consistent, by preventing people from using extra-large font sizes or garish colors.

You can use simple mark-up in your descriptions to make bold and italics: use [nobbc][/nobbc] and [nobbc][/nobbc] tags for that. You can also include web URLs, such as a URL to your Facebook page. But put those URLs right in the text, not in the form of an HTML anchor tag.

Q. Sometimes I see a backslash in a field on the setup page.

A. You can ignore those. They won't be displayed on the Yellow Pages listing itself.

Q. I have a Yellow Pages listing, but when I click the "edit" link, it tells me I don't have access.

A. First, make sure you're logged into KBoards. If you still can't edit, it's likely because someone else added the Yellow Pages entry. Post in this thread to tell us about it and we'll get it sorted out.

Q. I'd like to have multiple people (e.g. my staff) be able to edit my Yellow Pages listing.

A. Sorry, that is currently not possible. Each Yellow Pages listing is linked to a single KBoards account.

Q. I have a Yellow Pages listing, but I can't edit it anymore because I've been banned from KBoards!

A. Sorry, there's no workaround for this one. We only ban repeat offenders, so take care to respect our moderator warnings and avoid being banned in the first place.

Q. I'd like to add a service, but I don't want to have a Discussion Thread in the Writers' Cafe.

A. You must have a discussion thread. This is one of the distinctive features of our Yellow Pages, both for service providers and for customers. Encourage your customers to comment in your discussion thread.

Q. Can I set up a Yellow Pages service entry without being registered as a member on KBoards?

A. No. We use KBoards forum security to manage the Yellow Pages editing process.

Q. The banner in my Yellow Pages listing looks squashed / stretched / scaled.

A. Check the dimensions of your banner graphic. Banners, which appear directly below your listing, need to be in standard size, which is 728x90 pixels. If your graphic has dimensions different than that, we resize it to display as 728x90.

See less See more
#77 ·
Ebook formatting and print layout design
You've spent weeks, months, years writing your book. You spent hundreds if not thousands on editing and a book cover. But what do most authors do after that? They upload their Word file straight to KDP or download a template for a print book to copy and paste into and call it a day. What's wrong with this?
Well, for your ebook, Word to Kindle by automatic software conversion can produce broken formatting, unsupported characters turning into those blocks with upside down question marks in them, and hundreds of lines of junk code that costs you $$$ when Amazon deducts their download fees.
For print, there are hundreds of decisions that go into layout from font (nothing screams "self-published" to readers and reviewers like Size 12 Times New Roman), to margins, to things that Word processing software can't even do, like adjust spacing between letters and individual lines to ensure that you aren't left with widowed or orphaned text and still have every page begin and end with exactly the same margins.
Luckily, there is another option. I can take your manuscript and format it for print or ebook to make it look like anything the Big 5 are able to produce. This isn't some Fiverr gig where your book gets minutes of attention. Don't let interior design be the limiting factor on the success of your book.
Rates:
$5 per book plus a per word fee of $.003 for first 25,000 words and $.002 after that for ebooks
$25 per book plus a per finished page fee of $5.

#81 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
Kelly,

sorry, I've just seen this; thanks for letting us know. I'll take a look and remove the one without the banner. I'm not sure if there's a glitch or not, but we'll look into it!

Betsy
Hi Betsy, I have had the same issue with my addition to the yellow pages. I have three listings, but only the one with the banner should be active. Thank you for looking into this!

#82 ·
Hi established and aspiring authors!

I just wanted to drop you a quick email to introduce myself. My name is Shayne of Machovi Creative, a new novel formatting design company.

As I'm building my formatting portfolio, I'm extending an invitation to design your next eBook project for free! I'd really just love the opportunity to work on new, creative projects!

You can find some examples of my previous design work here: http://facebook.com/machoviprods

Send me a direct email to machoviprods@gmail.com if you're interested in one free eBook format / design. Of course, I also do covers, print formatting, trailers, press releases, and more.

Thanks so much! Looking forward to chatting, :D

#83 ·
I'd like to post my cover design and formatting services in the Yellow Pages, but I am unclear on exactly where to start a discussion thread to link back to. Do I start it here in the Writer's Cafe in general or somewhere else. I do not want to post it in the wrong spot and incur the wrath of mods, or anyone else. Please let me know where the appropriate place is. Thank you very much! (Hopefully this isn't just me being clueless because it's 3am.) :)

#84 ·
VirginiaMcClain said:
I'd like to post my cover design and formatting services in the Yellow Pages, but I am unclear on exactly where to start a discussion thread to link back to. Do I start it here in the Writer's Cafe in general or somewhere else. I do not want to post it in the wrong spot and incur the wrath of mods, or anyone else. Please let me know where the appropriate place is. Thank you very much! (Hopefully this isn't just me being clueless because it's 3am.) :)
Virginia--

Welcome to KBoards!

You'll want to start your vendor discussion thread in the Writers' Cafe--and then we'll welcome it and you'll be off and running!

Thanks for asking--have a great day!

Betsy

#87 ·
BetaProofReader said:
This is great! Never knew such a directory existed.

Question: I offer 2 similar services that tie in with each other (beta reading and proofreading) and also file conversion and formatting.

Can I add both services separately, or is there a way to combine them?

Thanks a lot,

Dave
Dave,

Glad you found us!

If you want to have the different services available in the pre-determine search categories, you'll have to create an entry for each service.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask here or to PM me.

Betsy
KB Mod

#91 ·
Hello all,

My name is Guy and I'm offering my story editing services to the KBoards readership.

My fiancee (Jennifer) and I work together to provide quality editing and fast service to writers. We work with you as a "team partner" to strengthen your writing so you provide your readership the most polished story possible. We provide two sets of fresh eyes and native English speaking backgrounds.

Here is a link to my website (with prices): http://thefictionaleditor.com/

We offer free writing samples to make sure we are a good fit for each other.

We are open-minded with various genres and look forward to working with you. :)

- Guy

#92 ·
Hello authors!

We are a product review site bringing sellers and reviewers (we call them “testers”) together and we’d love for you to join us. We’ve recently expanded our categories to include books of every genre. Honest and unbiased reviews from over 1,200 active members; never paid in any way, shape, or form.

Membership is only $25/mo. This is a great opportunity to help promote a new release or to re-introduce your previous work! Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

-Shawn, Co-Founder

#93 ·
EditorKelliCollins said:
Hi there! I recently added my services to the Yellow Pages. Then I updated it with a new banner; when I did, it seemed to create a second listing for me. I now see my listing twice, once with the banner, once without. I've noticed a few people's services listed multiple times, as well. Is this just a glitch when we update our listing? Thanks!
Betsy the Quilter said:
Kelly,

sorry, I've just seen this; thanks for letting us know. I'll take a look and remove the one without the banner. I'm not sure if there's a glitch or not, but we'll look into it!

Betsy
Betsy,
Just wanted to mention that it did the same for me just recently. I'm not sure if I may have clicked something incorrectly (later updates did not create a second listing, only that first one). I waited a bit to see if it would go away on its own, as it seemed to have shown up, but it didn't. I've manually deleted the second listing but thought I'd let y'all know just in case.

--e

#96 ·
Jack_St said:
This has to be a stupid question, so I apologize in advance, but on the yellow pages sign up sheet, what goes in the "Forum Thread" field? I have a forum thread?? How do I find it? Cheers, Jack
Hi Jack -
Go to the main Writers' Cafe board (http://www.kboards.com/index.php/board,60.0.html), and on the mid righthand side (just above the listing of all the individual posts) click on 'New Topic.' Then create a thread there about whatever service you're offering.

Browse some of the other threads (look for titles that seem to be offering services) if you need inspiration for what to say there. I sure needed some! I'm not good at selling myself. (c:

Once you've got your "advertisement" written up, hit 'Post.' That will create your personal forum thread; then copy its URL and paste it into the 'Forum Thread' field.

Good luck, and welcome!

#97 ·
Hello, everyone! I've been lurking the forums of erotica/romance writing for quite some time and have finally decided to offer my graphic design services. I make premade covers that can be purchased directly from my website. (http://www.aristellastardesigns.com/)

Feel free to drop by and check us out. I'll be following up shortly with my thread and yellow page advertisement. Thank you! ;D

#99 ·
You've done it!
You poured your heart and soul into your work and now your ready for the world to see it. But is it really ready to be seen? And how will your readers find it in todays flooded book market?
We offer everything the indie writer needs to self publish their work: Editing, Formatting, and Book cover design for print and ebook. We will walk you through the maze of amazon services including CreateSpace and KDP.

My Service on the KBoards Yellow Pages

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.