Author Topic: Is Anyone Getting the new Basic Kindle 5?  (Read 8178 times)  

Offline Toby

• MA
    • View Profile
Is Anyone Getting the new Basic Kindle 5?
« on: September 21, 2014, 07:40:50 pm »
Is anyone getting the new Basic kindle 7 & has the Basic kindle 5? If so, when you get it, can you tell me if the text is as dark on the new one than the older one. Thanks!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Vicki G.

• Houston, Texas
      • View Profile
    Re: Is Anyone Getting the new Basic Kindle 5?
    « Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 04:55:50 am »
    I'm very interested in it because the design incorporates a lot of the features of the PW into it.  I have a PW2 but my eyes LOVE the dark text.  I just wish they hadn't removed the page turn buttons.  I think I wrote in once asking them to give us a Kindle with PW features such as X-Ray, Reading Time, Goodreads, etc. but with text that looked like the Basic Kindle.  Looks like I wasn't the only one who asked for that.  I had a Kindle 4, I guess it was, one of the first ones that was gray and the buttons were terrible.  I now have the black one and the buttons are perfect.  Have had a Touch and the screen was so sensitive it was dangerous.  I'm thinking I'll go to Best Buy when the new Basic is released, take the "baby" with me and do the comparisons. 

IMO with this new model of the Basic they've given a few things but have taken away a whole lot more in terms of size, weight (it is the heaviest), the PAGE TURN BUTTONS!   

Offline avivs

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 06:08:39 am »
    The basic kindle is Ugly.
    Looks like a brick. and why is the plastic beneath the screen so big?

In this day and age, a kindle with no light is old, no matter the cost.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 06:34:30 am »
    The basic kindle is Ugly.
    Looks like a brick. and why is the plastic beneath the screen so big?

In this day and age, a kindle with no light is old, no matter the cost.

Well, I don't think it's ugly. It really, to me, looks no different than the PW or the Voyage and not much different to the touch and previous Basic. It might not be to everyone's taste, but that's individual preference. :)

I think, personally, that it's great that, besides the high-end Voyage, Amazon is sticking with a basic model that's affordable for just about anyone. Adding the light would definitely add cost -- and they do still have the PW available for those willing to pay for it.  Making it touch screen probably helped, at this point, to keep the cost down and make it more attractive to first time kindleers. After all, most folks nowadays are 'in tune' with the idea of a touch screen.  Really, the Basic is the PW without the lighting system. :D
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline alicepattinson

• Lucky me ;)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 07:02:03 am »
    I think it's not ugly

Offline larryb52

• one day at a time
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 09:46:13 am »
    I ordered it due to be here on the 2nd and I will advise at that time, I do have a k5 to compare it to it as well. I fully expect it to be the same...I also like that it has all the software extras that the PW2 has such as time left in chapter...
    Larry

Offline Toby

• MA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 07:49:32 pm »
    Thanks! I look forward to hearing what you think.
    « Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 08:01:05 pm by Toby »

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 03:18:56 pm »
    One thing I did notice when reading the information about the new basic was the Amazon statement about battery life:

New Basic: "A single charge lasts up to four weeks, based on a half hour of reading per day with wireless off. Battery life will vary based on wireless usage"

Isn't that a downward change?  4 weeks=28 days, 1/2 hour per day; that's only 14 hours of reading time without wireless, right?

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 04:16:42 pm »
    One thing I did notice when reading the information about the new basic was the Amazon statement about battery life:

New Basic: "A single charge lasts up to four weeks, based on a half hour of reading per day with wireless off. Battery life will vary based on wireless usage"

Isn't that a downward change?  4 weeks=28 days, 1/2 hour per day; that's only 14 hours of reading time without wireless, right?
    Yep, sure sounds like 14 hours reading time now. Maybe the touch screen needs more power? Smaller battery? Cut in half. I think it said "2 month/30 min a day" on the old basic, the one I have.

Offline Toby

• MA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 07:13:06 pm »
    I also think that the touch screen uses up more battery.

Offline Vicki G.

• Houston, Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 12:13:05 pm »
    I was looking for specs for the old Basic and found a "for sale" post.  In that it says the same, one moth based on a half-hour of daily reading time.  Also, if you look at the Paperwhite (current model, I'm assuming it still is and that there isn't a new Paperwhite) it says 2 months and the Paperwhite was always double the amount of the Basic in terms of battery and storage.  I've also noticed that they have stopped giving the amount of storage in GB.  Now it just says holds over 1,000 books whereas the Voyage has 4 GB and holds THOUSANDS of books.   It must be me.  All these specs used to be started in a very straight-forward, easy to compare manner.

Offline Toby

• MA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 08:29:54 pm »
    The Basic K5 has 2GB. The Basic K7 has 4GB. The K7 also weighs more than the K5. The PW 1 & 2 both has 2GB, until recently when the PW2 came with 4GB. The Voyage has 4GB.

Offline Vicki G.

• Houston, Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 10:43:58 am »
    I pre-ordered it.  It should arrive October 2nd.  I'll make sure to keep you posted, Toby.  I'm hoping to LOVE it.  :)

Offline Toby

• MA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 05:08:23 pm »
    Thank you. I'm curious about the darkness of the text, as I found the contrast on the K5 to be fantastic. I do hope you love it.  :D 

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 01:05:05 am »
    Is anyone getting the new Basic kindle 7 & has the Basic kindle 5? If so, when you get it, can you tell me if the text is as dark on the new one than the older one. Thanks!

I am getting one.

As you can judge by my signature's posts, I too find the non-frontlight Kindles to have had the best text blackness, so I will certainly post my impressions on the new basic Kindle compared to e.g. $69 Kindle 5 and PW2.

The one thing (in addition to good looks) I miss about the new basic Kindle is the cover light connection, I think with an official lighted cover it might have been perfect for many of us who feel the frontlight-tech to be less than perfect e-ink experience.

Offline Vicki G.

• Houston, Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 11:26:12 am »
    Thank you. I'm curious about the darkness of the text, as I found the contrast on the K5 to be fantastic. I do hope you love it.  :D 
    Toby, I cancelled my order.  Got to thinking about the touch screen being like the Touch and that was enough to put me off!  Sorry!  I will no doubt go to Best Buy when the Kindles make it there and have a look, just for giggles.  And I reserve the right to totally change my opinion!  ;D

I have a current system which has suited me for the last while in that I download everything to my PW2, use it as a library, if you will.  Then, when I get ready to read, depending on what kind of mood my eyes are in, I may download the book to the Basic and read it there.  Or I might not.  At any rate, I don't keep a large number of books on the Basic, just on the PW.  Weird, huh?   ;D

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: September 30, 2014, 11:45:21 am »
    I have had a few $69 Kindle 5's with some variance in the text blackness, as well as a $79 Kindle 4, with slightly lighter text than in my blackest $69 Kindle 5. And of course other Kindles with even lighter text (long stories, posted on my signature). So, it will certainly be interesting to see how the new basic Kindle compares to those, as well as to PW2 and Voyage - although historically some variance in e-ink unit blackness is to be expected even in non-frontlit screens.

Mine should ship October 2nd, but as it is going overseas, expect some days before I can report back.

Speaking of the touch, what interests me most in the new basic Kindle is the fact that there are no extra layers on top of that text, but it has most of the modern hallmarks of PW2. Will that pure e-ink goodness tempt me away form the convenience of the PW2 (or Voyage?). I am doubtful if I can't find a good lighted case for it - and that will be hard, as it is not a headline act and Amazon themselves are not doing such a case (no connectors either), so the selection is bound to be pretty limited. And the clip-on type of light is a far cry from the convenience of a pull-up lighted case.

Time will tell if Amazon has been able to perfect the IR touch or not. It isn't like e-ink type of slow-mo action really needs capacitive, but it really depends.

Offline Vicki G.

• Houston, Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: September 30, 2014, 01:54:04 pm »
    Speaking of the touch, what interests me most in the new basic Kindle is the fact that there are no extra layers on top of that text, but it has most of the modern hallmarks of PW2. Will that pure e-ink goodness tempt me away form the convenience of the PW2 (or Voyage?).

Don't forget the Touch had the same features as the PW.  In fact, when there was a new software update for the PW1, there would also be one for the Touch. 

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: September 30, 2014, 02:02:30 pm »
    Don't forget the Touch had the same features as the PW.  In fact, when there was a new software update for the PW1, there would also be one for the Touch. 

That's fair point. I don't own a Touch, so there's that (pretty much own all Kindles but that and the first one which was not sold internationally). I guess the new Kindle is also more likely to be kept updated over the coming year(s) than Touch/PW1.

Also the new 2014 basic Kindle does have a faster processor and could have improvements in screen and touch quality. It is also lighter than Touch. I know it lack audio, but I have never used that on any Kindle. Here's hoping it is an improvement over Touch overall, though, for basic reading.

Touch did have a lighted cover, though.

Offline Vicki G.

• Houston, Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: September 30, 2014, 04:11:14 pm »
    I had a Touch and gave it away as soon as I got a different Kindle (PW1).  I made the remark in another thread that I was grateful that someone here at Kindleboards taught me the cure for the Touch, that being BACK!  I read in bed and just the touch of the sheet would send it off into God only knows where, sometimes pages ahead, sometimes chapters ahead.  One never knew.  However, if you hit BACK, it usually corrected the problem.  That alone kept me from throwing the Touch out the window on more than one occasion.  So perhaps you can see the reasoning behind my remarks about the type of touchscreen and deciding to back off of the new Basic for a bit.  I'll let you other guys let me know how it is.   :D

Offline Toby

• MA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: September 30, 2014, 08:14:17 pm »
    Vicki G - Thanks for your response. No, it's not weird. I have kept my library of paid books on my touch. I am now deleting the books 1 by 1 & making sure that the books's on my PW2. I find the screen too dark on the Touch, so plan on passing that on to a friend.

FearIndex - I was hoping to see if you were going to get the new Basic 7. I love reading your thoughts & reviews. I look forward to seeing what you think. I got the Basic 5 because of your review & the darkness of the text & the lighter screen. Plus, the size is great. As for the light, I would love to have a cover with a light, but found amazon's lighted cover for the Basic made the kindle too heavy, so I ended up taking it off, & giving it away along with a Basic for a present. It defeated the purpose of having such a light weight kindle. I do hope the text is darker on the Voyage. Amazon still has not giving us more font sizes. It's the same 8. I was dissapointed in that, especially when some people were buying the Kobo for just that reason.

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: September 30, 2014, 11:25:08 pm »
    Thank you, Toby, for your kind words now and back then.

It is always interesting to see how diverse people's views are. For example, we both agree on the e-ink screen and text blackness, yet for me the Amazon lighted cover is a part of what really makes the magic happen and for you it was a nuisance. :)

Let's see what the Kindle 7 is like...

Offline larryb52

• one day at a time
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: October 01, 2014, 05:52:55 am »
    well it looks like my new basic k7 is being prepared to ship my account was charged and under orders its being ready to go...suppose to be tomorrow, kind of pumped up, I'll keep an eye out for the shipped e-mail...if it does great day tomorrow- new kindle and the Orioles in the division series playoffs...btw I did order the voyage but that's not till the 28th as I waited a day or two, had to retire health reasons and had to get the bosses ok ;)
    Larry

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: October 01, 2014, 06:05:40 am »
    My Kindle 7 is processing too. Still there is the hop abroad ahead.

My Voyage won't be here until November, so my comparisons to that will have to wait even longer. But perhaps next week I will get a chance to post how Kindle 7 looks compared to $69 Kindle 5 and PW2, for example.

Offline larryb52

• one day at a time
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: October 01, 2014, 11:15:40 am »
    just got the e-mail, kindle basic 7 has shipped, to be here tomorrow....now the wait look for the brown truck...
    Larry

KBoards.com

• Advertisement