Author Topic: Kindle Voyage Cover  (Read 90555 times)  

Offline larryb52

• one day at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle Voyage Cover
« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2014, 02:54:03 PM »
I wrote amazon and gave them my thoughts on lack of cover options and I got a semi 'fill in the blanks' e mail response...I wrote M-edge but they replied with, no new kindle covers and I looked at the Oberon but its pricy and I couldn't actually see what the inside looked like nor could I find if it had a cut out for the back button. I may have to go with the orgami cover but it would be sliding sideways , for now I'm using a 3rd party kindle 4 cover with bands on the corner that just hold the voyage down, I left the right corner off to reach the button...hummm maybe I should stick with this but sad commentary when you buy a 200 buck reader and have to  rig another cover to work with it...just my 2 cents....
Larry

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 29, 2014, 02:58:28 PM »
Which Incipio did you try, Larry? Can you link to it?

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online Patricia

• Northwestern New Jersey
  • Enjoy Today...It will not come again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 29, 2014, 03:40:52 PM »

Offline larryb52

• one day at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 29, 2014, 03:57:34 PM »
Which Incipio did you try, Larry? Can you link to it?

this is the one and I did try it and I got scared taking the voyage out as it was so locked into the cover I was afraid I would crack it (voyage), I got it out but it will never go back in. It's going back. The cover has magnets but they only hold the cover together. However when you put the voyage in the cover will not close for the magnets to hold...I may just not use a cover, I thought for a minute of the actual amazon 60 buck leather cover but I can't or won't spend that...I may get the oragami  plastic cover from bbuy  for 30 bucks and live with that....

http://www.amazon.com/Incipio-Journal-Cover-Kindle-Voyage/dp/B00IU7CEEA/ref=sr_1_11?s=fiona-hardware&ie=UTF8&qid=1414623023&sr=1-11

I was really hoping M edge would come through but no I think they have money issues...this reminds me on my nexus 7 2nd generation and finding a cover...
Larry

Offline Tripp

• Kent, Washington
    • View Profile
    • Goodreads
« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2014, 04:14:07 PM »
Like others here, I am really struggling with the lack of good options.  I keep checking Amazon for newly added covers and am waiting for reviews.  I can read my V "nekkid" but am anxious for a good case...patience is a virtue...I need to keep saying that.   ::)

(Make your own reading bar)

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.
-C. S. Lewis

Offline CAR

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 29, 2014, 04:55:45 PM »
Yeah -- I figured that out, too.  You can't use there 'which is my kindle' page to find it -- they don't have it there yet, but they will let you choose a cover for a voyage when you pick a style.  But, still, it doesn't appear you can see how it will really fit in the cover. If it doesn't have an auto-wake magnet, it's important to be able to reach the button on the back. AND it's important the light sensor in the upper left corner is not covered.

Interesting point Ann about the power button and light sensor. The cover would need to have a magnet.  And the light sensor could present a challenge for them.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 05:07:18 PM by CAR »

K2US v2.5.7 / 2x(One is SO)K3 White 3G/Wi-Fi + Oberon Bold Celtic in Black / 2x PW2 3G W/O / Voyage 3G W/O / PW3 3G W/O / Oasis 3g W/O

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 29, 2014, 06:01:44 PM »
I ended up ordering this one for now.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ORGIWRG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been looking at that as well, Patricia -- and I see that it's now in stock.  What color did you get? Be sure to let us know when you get it! :)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 06:04:57 PM by Ann in Arlington »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Ronald

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2014, 12:26:27 PM »
The black one is only five bucks shipped, and it looks a lot like my Paperwhite case.
Ron

Offline Susan J

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 30, 2014, 01:16:48 PM »
The black one is only five bucks shipped, and it looks a lot like my Paperwhite case.
Ron

Thanks for pointing that out, Ronald.  I ordered the Poetic flip case in brown but this black one was too good of a bargain to pass up.  This way if I hate the flip option, I have an alternative plus it is already available.   :)

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2014, 01:30:49 PM »
I just received a cover by incipio as I disliked the amazon orgami and I like this one even less than the amazon one, it looks cheap for 30 bucks and bulky looking , I'm sorta perplexed that they would design a great reader and the covers are like a second thought....got to think on this...

My incipio cover is going back as well.  It's heavier than I like, the material is weird, it is too hard to get the device in and out, the power button thing on the back didn't work well, the magnet neither holds the case closed nor does it turn the V on, and $30 was a bit much to spend on a case that annoyed me that much.  I really liked the color though.
This is the one that I got.

So I am also looking for other options.  I like the look of some of Poetic's cases, but they don't show the insides and I want to know how it attaches when I order...

Online ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #110 on: October 30, 2014, 06:39:32 PM »
I'm really not happy with the naked Voyage. This is the first time I've had a new Kindle and no cover. The K1 came with a cover. With the KK and PW1 I ordered Amazon's covers and got them before the device. This time since I'm unwilling to pay Amazon's price for its cover.... I have a Poetic cover on order and it's supposed to ship tomorrow. Out of the blue I got an email from Amazon the other day saying if it doesn't ship tomorrow, they're going to cancel the order. Where they get off doing that and just making me reorder is beyond me.

What I ordered is I hope the same as the cover I had from Poetic for the PW. It's a flip top, which I thought I got only for a special temporary need and found I liked better than the Amazon case (mostly because of weight but also because of the way my fingers could slide into the cover behind the PW). Yes, it's more cheaply made, but that was reflected in the price big time. I too am worried about the particulars of the Poetic case, but because the PW one worked so well, I'm optimistic. I want the automatic on/off, want it to stand up on its own nicely, want the place to stick my fingers, want the page turn buttons to still work well, etc.

With luck it won't be much longer before I know for sure.

Offline Eltanin Publishing

• Charlotte, VT
  • Cathy Ryan - Editor-in-Chief
    • View Profile
    • Eltanin Publishing
« Reply #111 on: October 31, 2014, 06:40:44 AM »
If anyone wants photos of the top-flip Incipio in blue, let me know. That's what I've got, and I'm liking it more and more. I got that instead of the more book-like side hinge incipio because the side hinge one looked bulky and I wasn't sure about how the cover folded back (whether it would stick out, etc.)

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 31, 2014, 08:59:19 AM »
I am also getting impatient with the lack of nice Voyage covers that open like a book.  I just don't like the Flip covers.   I am beginning to think that - due to the ON/OFF button being on the back,   that might be keeping some vendors - like Oberon (how can they put a big hole in the middle of their leather).. from making them.   

Offline Cobbie

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 31, 2014, 09:20:33 AM »
I spoke with a representive at Oberon and she said the Voyage covers do have the wake/sleep feature and do not cover the light sensor on the top left corner. (How Ann found this I will never know.  :)) Bordercollielady is correct, there is no opening on the back for the power button.

The rep. had to check with the production department about these questions and came back for clarification about the placement of the light sensor so I hope this information she gave me about that is correct.

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 31, 2014, 09:29:14 AM »
I spoke with a representive at Oberon and she said the Voyage covers do have the wake/sleep feature and do not cover the light sensor on the top left corner. (How Ann found this I will never know.  :)) Bordercollielady is correct, there is no opening on the back for the power button.

I guess - if they have the wake/sleep feature - we wouldn't need to use the power button most of the time.

Offline Cobbie

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 31, 2014, 09:32:30 AM »
I guess - if they have the wake/sleep feature - we wouldn't need to use the power button most of the time.

True. I haven't used mine, yet.

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 31, 2014, 10:15:37 AM »
Very excited.. Just ordered a Saddle Owl Oberon cover for the Voyage!   Will let you know how it works out when it comes but I know I will love it!

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 31, 2014, 10:46:49 AM »
I spoke with a representive at Oberon and she said the Voyage covers do have the wake/sleep feature and do not cover the light sensor on the top left corner. (How Ann found this I will never know.  :))

Let me explain. :)

On one of the first couple of days while I was admiring my new Precioussssss, I was buffing with a 'fuzzy finger' microfiber screen cleaner. I was tilting it this way and that to find smudges that needed to be buffed off. I noticed one in the upper left that was remarkably regular. And that would NOT buff off. :o A lightbulb went on and I realized that must be the light sensor. :D

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)

Offline Cobbie

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 31, 2014, 12:18:02 PM »
LOL!

Offline CAR

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 31, 2014, 11:15:09 PM »

The rep. had to check with the production department about these questions and came back for clarification about the placement of the light sensor so I hope this information she gave me about that is correct.

Wow this is great news.  It looks like a Oberon will be "the"  cover to get for the Voyage. It may even solve the small bezel issues for me.  Very interesting Thank You!

K2US v2.5.7 / 2x(One is SO)K3 White 3G/Wi-Fi + Oberon Bold Celtic in Black / 2x PW2 3G W/O / Voyage 3G W/O / PW3 3G W/O / Oasis 3g W/O

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 01, 2014, 05:32:28 AM »
Wow this is great news.  It looks like a Oberon will be "the"  cover to get for the Voyage. It may even solve the small bezel issues for me.  Very interesting Thank You!

My concern with the Oberon is -- while they're exceedingly well made and excellent quality -- I just feel like it's going to add too much weight and bulk to the device. I've felt that way since my 3rd gen keyboard. I had an Oberon cover for the original kindle -- which was a bulkier device anyway, as well as being rather more fragile and, to me, kind of klunky looking.  So I was comfortable paying for the extra protection and style.  But, for me beginning with the 2nd gen devices (though I never had one of them) I have liked the styling of the kindles so don't want so much to 'hide' it.

The K1 was held in the case via straps or velcro -- I'm not a 'hater' of velcro, but I'm not keen on it at all either. So I opted for straps, which worked on that size device. But, especially with the kindles released since 2011 and later, the cover designs that form fit to them just look much better to me. The devices are small enough that straps on the corners feel a bit much. And they don't offer the velcro any more -- not that I'd be interested in it anyway.

Further -- when the device cost $359 as my first kindle did, it was worth it to me to spend another $65 to protect it. But even at $200 I'm not seeing the need to spend $75. For me the Amazon covers this time are seriously overpriced for what they are -- partly because the top flip doesn't appeal to me at all and the plastic one (the only one I've had my hands on) feels flimsy. I have had them for my previous kindles since the K1 and, while not cheap, they were, for me, exactly what I wanted and very well designed.

I know for $75 you're getting a much better product from Oberon. But I feel like the voyage doesn't need the protection the same way my first kindle did. Plus, I'm sure it won't be form fitted and I'm concerned that will, to some extent, affect how well the page turn 'buttons' work. And even when I look and think, "oh, but it'd feel so nice to hold," I am back at extra weight and bulk. :(

Obviously it's all very subjective -- but I'm seriously considering, at this point, the Fintie mentioned earlier in the thread. They look nice, are not too expensive, and if they're as well made as the cover from them I have for my 2013PW that'll do me. I'm waiting to hear what the person who ordered one thinks and/or to see a few more reviews on the product page.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 01, 2014, 05:42:48 AM »
I found this ForeFront case on Amazon UK that's only 14.99. I've ordered it and it's on the way and I have high hopes for it.

Firstly it's a book style cover - not a flip top origami thingy like the official cover. It has a shell style back and a thin front with faux leather that has a patterned finish - a smooth finish always seems to show scratches more. It doesn't say that it has a magnetic closure, though it does have a magnet because it has the auto sleep/wake feature. It also comes with a free stylus and screen protector, though I doubt I would use either of those. There's a choice of nine colours. With the official cover coming in at 39.99 for the non-leather one, this one has to be worth a look at. I could get two in different colours and still be better off and get the style I prefer.

Strangely, it shipped a couple of days ago by ordinary mail but the expected date of deliver is November 28th! :o I'm hoping I'll actually get it before my Voyage arrives on Tuesday.  ;D I'll report back, but if I don't like it I'll try something else, so keep the reviews coming!
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 01, 2014, 06:50:38 AM »
That looks quite nice, Linda. I bet it is a magnetic closure based on shape on the right side.  Let us know how it works!  And then we'll have to go looking this side of the pond for it! :)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)

Offline Kathy

• Lighthouse Point, FL
  • Member 376
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 01, 2014, 06:52:48 AM »
I found this ForeFront case on Amazon UK that's only 14.99. I've ordered it and it's on the way and I have high hopes for it.

Firstly it's a book style cover - not a flip top origami thingy like the official cover. It has a shell style back and a thin front with faux leather that has a patterned finish - a smooth finish always seems to show scratches more. It doesn't say that it has a magnetic closure, though it does have a magnet because it has the auto sleep/wake feature. It also comes with a free stylus and screen protector, though I doubt I would use either of those. There's a choice of nine colours. With the official cover coming in at 39.99 for the non-leather one, this one has to be worth a look at. I could get two in different colours and still be better off and get the style I prefer.

This looks really nice. More like the paperwhite cover. Hope they bring it to the U.S.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 01, 2014, 06:54:37 AM »
This looks really nice. More like the paperwhite cover. Hope they bring it to the U.S.

Yeah -- I just checked and it's definitely not in the US store. :(

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)