Author Topic: Series: Is it better to use subtitles or use Amazon's "series" option?  (Read 1113 times)  

Offline Jerri Kay Lincoln

• Arizona mountains
  • The happier you are, the happier you are . . .
    • View Profile
    • JerriLincoln
I'm about to release the third book in my new series.  With books one and two, I didn't want to do the series option, because I know some people won't buy books until there are three or more out.  This is a romance series, where the books are set in the same place and there are some recurring characters, but the two main characters change with each book.  So each book is technically a stand-alone, but if you don't read them in order, you miss some of the back story.

All that being said, should I continue using the subtitle field (to show the title of series) or should I use the "series" optionwhich creates the "Book 1" by the book title?

JK Lincoln

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Silly Writer

• View Profile
    Re: Series: Is it better to use subtitles or use Amazon's "series" option?
    « Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 01:46:52 pm »
    You can do both!

Online Lydniz

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Credentials
    « Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 01:48:57 pm »
    I used the series option and Amazon ballsed it up and so my titles are all over the place - some have "Volume X", some have "Book X" and some have nothing at all after them. I'd say do it manually.

Offline Tasha Black

• Romance with bite!
      • View Profile
      • Tasha Black
    « Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 02:15:27 pm »
    I used the series option and Amazon ballsed it up and so my titles are all over the place - some have "Volume X", some have "Book X" and some have nothing at all after them. I'd say do it manually.
    Amazon seems so inconsistent with this, I don't even trust the subtitle field. I put the whole thing right in the title!

Offline SugarBear57

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 03:26:19 pm »
    You can do both!

I've done both. Clicking onto the series tab takes you to basically a search on the entire site for that phrase. Because I decided to name my series a common phrase, many books that are not mine pull up when you try to look at the series. For me, the best choice is tossing it into the subtitle. YMMV.

Offline Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 05:02:01 pm »
    I use the series field. I used to put it in the main title -- and then in the subtitles -- but Amazon sent nasty emails. They want them in the series field. All my series fields match up now -- so it's not a big deal.

Amanda M. Lee

Offline sarracannon

• South Carolina
    • Sugar Addict
      • View Profile
      • www.sarracannon.com
    « Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 05:12:44 pm »
    I think they've been working to fix the series problem, but I agree with the above poster who said it sucks that they seem to lump us in with just a search of the series name. It would be so much better if the series clickable took them to an actual series page with the books listed in order! They do this for some trad pub series, so I'm hoping it's just a matter of time. My books come out completely out of order and some books not in my series show up in the search.

I'm also wondering what in the world to do with season 2 of my serial. No idea how I'm going to title those as a separate season but keep in the same series!

Offline Vaalingrade

• View Profile
      • The Descendants
    « Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 06:50:56 pm »
    Amazon might be a drunken chimp when it comes to handling the actual labeling and sorting (I have a book on Code-breaking randomly on the RB series page because... I have no idea. The word 'break', maybe? Then how come the book the inspired the Clooney movie that inundated my site with highly confused soccer moms isn't on the Descendants series page?), but they DO email people who bought books in the series when a new part comes out.

AKA: Vaalingrade | Twitter: @ParadoxOmni [I mock the mockable]
    The Descendants - An Original Bronze Age Superhero Web Serial

Offline Jerri Kay Lincoln

• Arizona mountains
    • The happier you are, the happier you are . . .
      • View Profile
      • JerriLincoln
    « Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 09:42:57 pm »
    but they DO email people who bought books in the series when a new part comes out.

Really?  That's HUGE if they do that!

JK Lincoln

Offline Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 02:31:23 am »
    I think they've been working to fix the series problem, but I agree with the above poster who said it sucks that they seem to lump us in with just a search of the series name. It would be so much better if the series clickable took them to an actual series page with the books listed in order! They do this for some trad pub series, so I'm hoping it's just a matter of time. My books come out completely out of order and some books not in my series show up in the search.

I'm also wondering what in the world to do with season 2 of my serial. No idea how I'm going to title those as a separate season but keep in the same series!
    Two of my three series show up with series pages. I think they're working their way through them.

Amanda M. Lee

Offline 75845

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 04:22:53 am »
    Really?  That's HUGE if they do that!
    Amazon might be a drunken chimp when it comes to handling the actual labeling and sorting (I have a book on Code-breaking randomly on the RB series page because... I have no idea. The word 'break', maybe? Then how come the book the inspired the Clooney movie that inundated my site with highly confused soccer moms isn't on the Descendants series page?), but they DO email people who bought books in the series when a new part comes out.

Not good in any shape or form. I don't want more marketing emails. Yet another reason to autoreject any Bookbub offering that says it is part of a series, especialy if it only has an Amazon buy button.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement