Author Topic: If you're starting a new series, what will you do differently this time around?  (Read 100255 times)  

Offline wtvr

• North Aurora, IL
  • whatev
    • View Profile
I'd have the second up before I start promoting.

Word! I just pushed publish on #2, and I have 2 promos for a free select day on Friday for #1. That gives enough time to go back to #1 and make the backmatter links. I hope the 1+2 strategy works!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
      • View Profile
    Word! I just pushed publish on #2, and I have 2 promos for a free select day on Friday for #1. That gives enough time to go back to #1 and make the backmatter links. I hope the 1+2 strategy works!
    I'm launching my new romantic suspense series next week, and I put the preorder for the next book up before I submitted the final copy. I'm hoping it works. I already have 20 preorders on a pen name I created out of nothing and have done absolutely nothing to promote. It's a huge market, so I hope I gain traction by putting the link for the preorder to the next book on the first page of the back matter. On the second page of the back matter, I include a list of upcoming books (six, to make sure readers know it will keep going). I then put my Author's Note on the final page with my Facebook, Twitter, and new mailing list links outlined. I wish I had approached my original name this way, but it is what is. You learn by doing.
    It's an experiment. I'll start a thread on the first day and keep people updated with how it works. I'm waiting until the third book hits -- which is December -- before running any ads or any free days on the first book. I'm hoping that the 30-day cycle keeps books in the Hot New Releases category for the foreseeable future. I already have a bevy of outstanding covers. I'm pretty excited about the experiment.

Amanda M. Lee

Offline wtvr

• North Aurora, IL
    • whatev
      • View Profile
    I'm launching my new romantic suspense series next week, and I put the preorder for the next book up before I submitted the final copy. I'm hoping it works. I already have 20 preorders on a pen name I created out of nothing and have done absolutely nothing to promote. It's a huge market, so I hope I gain traction by putting the link for the preorder to the next book on the first page of the back matter. On the second page of the back matter, I include a list of upcoming books (six, to make sure readers know it will keep going). I then put my Author's Note on the final page with my Facebook, Twitter, and new mailing list links outlined. I wish I had approached my original name this way, but it is what is. You learn by doing.
    It's an experiment. I'll start a thread on the first day and keep people updated with how it works. I'm waiting until the third book hits -- which is December -- before running any ads or any free days on the first book. I'm hoping that the 30-day cycle keeps books in the Hot New Releases category for the foreseeable future. I already have a bevy of outstanding covers. I'm pretty excited about the experiment.

That's fantastic! I can't wait to hear how it goes for you.

I'm doing something similar - started a new pen name out of nothing, trying to break into romantic suspense. But I'll go the opposite route: free days right away on a short serial. Then build up a mailing list for the long trilogy that drops in December. They're on the HNRs for Women's Fic today, so, fingers crossed!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement