Author Topic: The 7 Day Erotica Challenge  (Read 412230 times)  

Offline Gigi Priest

• Houston, Texas
  • Author of Fantasy Erotica
    • View Profile
Re: The 7 Day Erotica Challenge
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2014, 06:03:26 pm »
This sounds like a super fun idea, however I -just- published my first erotica novelette this morning and I think starting over with another pen name would be a bad life choice for me. Haha. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread though! Best of luck, ya'll!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline kathrynoh

• Melbourne, Australia
      • View Profile
      • Kathryn O'Halloran
    « Reply #26 on: October 05, 2014, 07:43:28 pm »
    I keep getting reviews that call my stories "Literary Erotica". I keep asking myself: What is Literary Erotica? How can Erotica be Literary?

I'd consider someone like Anais Nin literary erotica.

Offline KayleaEhm

• Author
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: October 05, 2014, 08:37:38 pm »
    Sounds like a great idea! I currently have a couple of other projects on the go, but I might have time to slot this one in too.

Offline J.L. Dickinson

• View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: October 06, 2014, 02:22:52 am »
    Hit a road block only 200 words in, and could use some feed back. As I got all the broad strokes of the story in place in my mind I realized first person with two POV characters was they way this story was going to need to be told. Now, I've had an issue come up I've never had before: which tense to tell the story in? For some reason I keep shifting into present tense and it actually seems very effective when I reread what I have. Is first person present tense common/acceptable in Erotica?   
    If I'm doing it right, my words should be as though a drug;
    You should be addicted, and always coming back for more.

Offline nellgoddin

• View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: October 06, 2014, 05:32:15 am »
    Love this idea. I'm in!

Offline Chrisbwritin

• PA
    • Browncoat
      • View Profile
      • www.christine-bell.com
    « Reply #30 on: October 06, 2014, 05:54:08 am »
    Hit a road block only 200 words in, and could use some feed back. As I got all the broad strokes of the story in place in my mind I realized first person with two POV characters was they way this story was going to need to be told. Now, I've had an issue come up I've never had before: which tense to tell the story in? For some reason I keep shifting into present tense and it actually seems very effective when I reread what I have. Is first person present tense common/acceptable in Erotica?   

Yep.

NYT Bestselling Author Chloe Cole, USA Today Bestselling Author Christine Bell

Offline Redacted1111

• I make stuff up.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: October 06, 2014, 07:25:40 am »
    Though I'm not sharing my info, I published a new 5k word short under a new pen name late yesterday afternoon. I've already had 5 borrows and one sale at $2.99. It was on two charts and at about 18k in the store when I woke up this morning. No promo, no other titles, totally new name. Keywords baby. I already have a second book written.

Considering I have a romance novel I spent months, literally months writing and rewriting, sent it to ten plus beta readers, wrote several drafts, sent out hundreds of ARCs, paid for editing, etc. and that book has only had four borrows and one sale at $2.99 this month. It's a few months old but the most that book has ever done was about 30 units in a month. It's 75k words long.... I can do simple math. I already have a second short written and will publish it today. If you can produce volume and research the right keywords, erotica is easy money. But as a caveat, I've spent weeks researching keywords. I spent about three hours writing and editing the book I just pubbed. I'm so excited I can barely think straight. All I want to do is work. That's new.

Offline Mylius Fox

• Cognitive syntactical wizard.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: October 06, 2014, 07:35:59 am »
    I'm intrigued to try out this challenge but I've only ever written sex scenes in the context of novels, romance/thriller type stories, and I wouldn't know how to approach a 5k erotica story structurally. Are there any basic tips/pointers for the "arc" an erotica short of this size goes through? Any input (hehe) is greatly appreciated. :)

C.Saffron

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2014, 07:40:06 am »
    Though I'm not sharing my info, I published a new 5k word short under a new pen name late yesterday afternoon. I've already had 5 borrows and one sale at $2.99. It was on two charts and at about 18k in the store when I woke up this morning. No promo, no other titles, totally new name. Keywords baby. I already have a second book written.

Considering I have a romance novel I spent months, literally months writing and rewriting, sent it to ten plus beta readers, wrote several drafts, sent out hundreds of ARCs, paid for editing, etc. and that book has only had four borrows and one sale at $2.99 this month. It's a few months old but the most that book has ever done was about 30 units in a month. It's 75k words long.... I can do simple math. I already have a second short written and will publish it today. If you can produce volume and research the right keywords, erotica is easy money. But as a caveat, I've spent weeks researching keywords. I spent about three hours writing and editing the book I just pubbed. I'm so excited I can barely think straight. All I want to do is work. That's new.

Good stuff. I have borrowed a few books today, maybe i borrowed yours.  :)

I would like to learn how to use keywords properly because I'm reading too much conflicting advice on what types of keywords to use for erotica.

Offline LanceGreencastle

• View Profile
      • Lance Greencastle's Blog
    « Reply #34 on: October 06, 2014, 08:44:22 am »
    I would like to learn how to use keywords properly because I'm reading too much conflicting advice on what types of keywords to use for erotica.
    I too would like to know what keywords to use. I'm assuming that words like "incest", "Taboo" and Babysitter" will send your book straight to the dungeon.

Lance Greencastle | Blog

Offline Rachel E. Rice

• View Profile
      • Rachel E. Rice Writes All
    « Reply #35 on: October 06, 2014, 09:09:12 am »
    Great thread and great posts. I've learned so much, and I've learned that I can write 3500 words of erotica in one day even if I'm working on two books. I came up with my new pen name but I can't think of a title for my titillating masterpiece. 

Check for more books by Rachel E. Rice and R.E. Rice
    Rachel E. Rice | blog | website

Offline RuthNestvold

• View Profile
      • Ruth Nestvold's blog
    « Reply #36 on: October 06, 2014, 09:29:04 am »
    This sounds like fun! I've been considering starting an erotica pen name, and this may be just what I need to actually do it!

I'll play around with some ideas and get back to you all. :)

Ruth Nestvold

Blog   Twitter

Award Winning Author of Fantasy & SF

Offline Sargon

• View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: October 06, 2014, 09:36:58 am »

Ha, this is me almost exactly!  ;) Wrote the entire story on Friday (7,600 words). Edited a bit Saturday, added 100 words. Published on Saturday evening, didn't go live until Sunday at maybe 4:00pm. So far 5 borrows and 3 sales! It was 24,000 in the whole store and now is about 25,000. No promo, just keywords. Spent $36 on a photo for a cover I made myself.

I'm basing my efforts almost entirely on the advice from "How Anyone Can Become A Full-Time Erotica Author In 6 Weeks."

What's funny is this is the FIRST THING I'VE EVER PUBLISHED!!

And I just wrote another 5,700 word erotica story yesterday and this morning, hoping to publish today. My goal is to get 1 purchase each day for each book. That's $60/month each. And then write several more, and maybe take a Europe trip next year with the profits, if I'm lucky. I have no clue whatsoever if this is possible.

Keywords are the big mystery. Mine are jammed, as recommended in that book.

Offline Redacted1111

• I make stuff up.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: October 06, 2014, 10:07:24 am »
    Ha, this is me almost exactly!  ;) Wrote the entire story on Friday (7,600 words). Edited a bit Saturday, added 100 words. Published on Saturday evening, didn't go live until Sunday at maybe 4:00pm. So far 5 borrows and 3 sales! It was 24,000 in the whole store and now is about 25,000. No promo, just keywords. Spent $36 on a photo for a cover I made myself.

I'm basing my efforts almost entirely on the advice from "How Anyone Can Become A Full-Time Erotica Author In 6 Weeks."

What's funny is this is the FIRST THING I'VE EVER PUBLISHED!!

And I just wrote another 5,700 word erotica story yesterday and this morning, hoping to publish today. My goal is to get 1 purchase each day for each book. That's $60/month each. And then write several more, and maybe take a Europe trip next year with the profits, if I'm lucky. I have no clue whatsoever if this is possible.

Keywords are the big mystery. Mine are jammed, as recommended in that book.

That's awesome. You don't have to pay so much for stock photos though. Try camstockphoto. They are like $5. Oddly, I wrote my book before I read the book you mentioned. It isn't the most popular niche, but it still moved plenty of copies in less than 24 hrs to convince me that erotic is a good use of my extra time. It's better than sitting around playing WOW or staring at Kboards. I'm still going to write my romance books, but erotica is so easy to write it's just a motivation thing. That book and some advice from DirtiestDevil was extremely motivating. That's one of the reasons I don't want to share my efforts  here. Though one star reviews don't really hurt erotica, I still don't need the stress or grief from haters who hate stalk anyone who tries something different.

Offline o.gasim

• View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: October 06, 2014, 11:10:30 am »

Great Scott!! Fantastic results. Care to share your keywords secrets? I am brand new to erotica but took this challenge as my opportunity to get into it( pun intended).

I 'published' my story last night at 10:45 and it's still sitting in review. Any ideas what's going on?

Olivia R. Gasim

Offline OldGrumpy

• Copenhagen
    • Grumpy old man on sterioids.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: October 06, 2014, 11:40:25 am »
    Great Scott!! Fantastic results. Care to share your keywords secrets? I am brand new to erotica but took this challenge as my opportunity to get into it( pun intended).

I 'published' my story last night at 10:45 and it's still sitting in review. Any ideas what's going on?

Yes, as has been said elsewhere. Dont post erotica during weekends. The weekend trolls will sit on it.

Post erotica Monday thru to Friday noon.

Good luck, make it good ...

Offline wtvr

• North Aurora, IL
    • whatev
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: October 06, 2014, 12:06:12 pm »

It's likely fine, just taking a while. Mondays are slow because of the non-weekend rush I suppose. Don't worry just yet.

Offline Al Dente

• Because my raps are so hard.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: October 06, 2014, 12:49:22 pm »
    Yes, as has been said elsewhere. Dont post erotica during weekends. The weekend trolls will sit on it.

Yep. Heck, I'd even say Monday - Thursday just to be safe. Not that I know anything about publishing adult stories. Nope. Not me. *whistles and kicks the dirt*

Offline Whitley

• View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: October 06, 2014, 02:02:58 pm »
    I'm still doing this challenge but decided to take down and tweak my info since more than one person is worried about trolls. I read a lot of smut and have for years but I'm hilariously gridlocked trying to write it, so I'm behind the ball already. Plus this is turning into more of a romantic erotica serial than a straight up erotic short.

Can you guys give insights into what types of images you're using for your cover? I have an idea of how mine will look and I think I know enough photo editing basics to make it happen. But I'm worried that the couple on my cover has too much clothing haha. My book falls more in the new adult range in terms of charachter occupations and problems, so I'm trying to capture that essence too.

Offline SomethingElse

• Fantasy Land
      • View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: October 06, 2014, 02:19:48 pm »
    I'm interested in doing this too. I won't post my info here either. It will be interesting to see if a new story under a new name can do better than the ones I have up already. I'm behind on releasing my next one but I can't pass up a challenge like this. I already have a story in mind (and sequels). And I have the new pen name picked out. Just have to make sure it's still not being used by an author when I go to upload. I checked Amazon on the weekend and didn't find anything by the name I want to use.

Bookmarking this thread to see how everyone does!

Offline nellgoddin

• View Profile
    « Reply #45 on: October 06, 2014, 03:15:30 pm »
    Are there category limitations for the challenge? I'm about 3500 words in, finished the cover, hope to publish tomorrow. Can we avoid the dreaded Erotica category?

Offline Sassafrazzled

• View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: October 06, 2014, 03:21:04 pm »
    I too would like to know what keywords to use. I'm assuming that words like "incest", "Taboo" and Babysitter" will send your book straight to the dungeon.

I missed if this was answered before, but in case it wasn't, no. So long as the visible stuff (cover, title, description) are clean, you can go crazy with your keywords.

Offline o.gasim

• View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: October 06, 2014, 03:31:01 pm »

Thanks for the tip. All my other works, under a separate name, had all been approved in less than 12 hours, so this is a first for me. I was getting paranoid that something was wrong with the submission.

Olivia R. Gasim

Offline Evenstar

• Here. Hare. Here.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: October 06, 2014, 04:17:02 pm »
    Hiya. I wrote one and put it out there. New pen name and all. I got my cover from Fiverr. No promotion or anything. Except that I didn't brand it as Erotica, I branded it as a Bodice Ripper Historical Romance. Was shocked to see six borrows and two sales in the past two days!

I missed how we are supposed to enter if we don't want to put the details here? Not that it matters, if nothing else then this has been a really interesting experiment and for financial reasons I think it is also the start of a brand new series!!

Offline SarahWritesSometimes

• Somewhere out there
    • nervous and unsure but going for it anyway
      • View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: October 06, 2014, 05:02:51 pm »
    I've been watching this thread with interest. I have 3 erotica stories under a pen name that are languishing (all published since September 15). They all have a bit of character build up, a HFN ending, but lots of smexy stuff in there. I don't promote at all. I've been wondering if my stories are too "nice". I think I will challenge myself to write 5,000 words by tomorrow that is something more on the risqu side. Like a lot more. And I will *consider* posting my pen name and title before I upload. Why I would worry I don't know, my sales are dreadful anyway.
    ~ Sarah

KBoards.com

• Advertisement