Author Topic: The 7 Day Erotica Challenge  (Read 419010 times)  

Offline skyle

• UK
    • View Profile
Re: The 7 Day Erotica Challenge
« Reply #650 on: October 21, 2014, 08:08:43 am »
Ikr. Diapers and pregnancy...I sure wasn't feeling it when I was living that stage. I can't seem to write anything that I don't understand. It's not that I have a problem with it, it's that the words don't come. haha

I don't think I could effectively write something I didnt get at all. I've been reading a lot of erotica in the name of research that I wouldn't normally  ;) and some of it has me kind of squeamish. One I read yesterday with "milking", proper milking, a woman's breast milk. I was like, "urrgh! that's a turn on?" But that's just me, there might be a massive community that love it, but I don't think I could write it and be at all convincing.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Smash_Rodz

• View Profile
    « Reply #651 on: October 21, 2014, 08:18:18 am »
    Excellent numbers, Maisy! Congratulations!  :)

My 7 days for the one title under my new pen name is 5 sales and 15 borrows, so far.  My numbers are not as high as yours, but I'm happy with the results for my book one, particularly since I've never published under this pen name, and, it didn't cost me anything.

I plan on writing about every kink I can, including PI, even though the PI kink disgusts me.  However, I have no problem taking my issues out of it to write the damn thing, especially since those books are popular.  I'm not stupid. 

Book two gets uploaded today.

About the PI, I saw where those were getting banned with the last erotica sweep. Are they allowed now, or are there a lot of hoops to jump through in order to disguise the PI as something different? Thanks!

Oh, and congrats on your numbers. I just started my very first book ever. It's an erotica short. I just need to find time to write it. I work as a psych nurse doing three 12 hour night shifts and I'm basically trying to recover on my days off. I hate my job so much, so the dream of making a living writing is what keeps me going  ;D I can do this!

Offline Sargon

• View Profile
    « Reply #652 on: October 21, 2014, 09:25:48 am »
    My standalone erotica story was only in review for about 2 hours and now it's live. That was quick!

Wow! What category(ies) did you put it in? I find erotica can take longer than the others.

Good luck!

Offline o.gasim

• View Profile
    « Reply #653 on: October 21, 2014, 09:46:32 am »
    Hi Everyone,

I am thrilled to announce the first volume in an erotic anthology penned by 5 of us kboarders. Erotology (cover) below is now available for Kindle and KU.

Olivia R. Gasim

Offline Evenstar

• Here. Hare. Here.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #654 on: October 21, 2014, 09:48:43 am »
    **********SPREADSHEET*************

OK, so I have set up a spreadsheet that tracks all the results etc. It's not very populated with info, though

Here is the link.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AqUkg_H5bVPeo0Y5t2ex5lPPS8vzgD46bd_YpObzxUE/edit?usp=sharing

If you click on the link, you will be able to edit the spreadsheet.

1. If you are taking part in the challenge, please add yourself on the sheet, together with all details
    2. Update as often as you wish
    3. If you have MULTIPLE books, it would probably be best to create a separate line for each book
    4. If you want to keep your pen name private that is fine. Just put your KBoard profile under "Author"
    5. If you are doing this quietly and have not linked yourself to the challenge, please add yourself to the sheet anyway. I hope this won't be abused!

Hopefully, at the end of the month or so we will have a clearer picture of all this......

I've just updated the spreadsheet. But actually I don't know what the purpose of it is? Is it to track what kind of stories do well? Or is there some kind of winner to this challenge by stats?

Offline Mahalo

• View Profile
    « Reply #655 on: October 21, 2014, 10:00:40 am »
    Hey all...I'm late to the party but have been reading this thread and completed three stories last week!

Funny, though, this is the first time one of my stories got flagged by D2D that I need to classify it as erotica even though I have it in erotic romance. Kobo, iTunes, and Scribd won't take it.

Offline Catnip

• View Profile
    « Reply #656 on: October 21, 2014, 10:24:29 am »
    I've been thinking about what kinks to write. Most of them I'm not into personally, but could still write about. I think pregnancy (and related topics like lactation) is the only thing I really couldn't do. I'm happily childfree, and the idea of being pregnant has always absolutely horrified me. So I don't think I'd be very convincing if I tried to write a character who loves the idea :)

Unless it's a really sexy pose you probably won't get filtered.

Thanks Maisy, that was what I was hoping.

Offline Redacted1111

• I make stuff up.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #657 on: October 21, 2014, 11:17:27 am »
    I'm still trying to get a book unfiltered. Bah! Second attempt, no dice. I've changed EVERYTHING I can possibly think of that could have gotten the filter. Now, I think it is almost certainly because I used a historical reference in the title that could be searched by kids. There is no other explanation. So, if you write erotica, just remember, words like Civil War and Continental Congress might get you filtered...  ::)

Which is too bad because I think the title "Banged By The Continental Congress" is hilarious.
    « Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 11:19:00 am by Kalypsō »

Offline M. Frank Parsons

• This above all: to thine own self be true
      • View Profile
    « Reply #658 on: October 21, 2014, 11:23:31 am »
    Question about Author Central penname photo: Random design, animal (like a butterfly), your photo, or nothing?

Does it even matter?

Offline Al Dente

• Because my raps are so hard.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #659 on: October 21, 2014, 11:38:48 am »
    Wow! What category(ies) did you put it in? I find erotica can take longer than the others.

Good luck!

Well, I felt that the story effectively skirted the line between Erotica and Erotic Romance, so I went with the Erotic Romance categories. I'm sure that helped matters, but I have written books in the past that were definitely erotic romance and they each took roughly 24 hours, so I don't pretend to understand the great Amazon. :)

Offline Sassafrazzled

• View Profile
    « Reply #660 on: October 21, 2014, 11:41:15 am »
    Which is too bad because I think the title "Banged By The Continental Congress" is hilarious.

Is that what you used? Because "banged" will get you filtered.

I'd also like to remind people that Romance>Erotica is a dead end. It exists only in KDP and has no visibility in the Kindle store. I've seen a few people mention it lately. Browse under Romance, Erotica is neither a sub-category nor a theme.
    « Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 11:46:51 am by Sassafrazzled »

Offline Redacted1111

• I make stuff up.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #661 on: October 21, 2014, 11:41:57 am »

That isn't an actual title. That's my attempt at humor.

Offline Mahalo

• View Profile
    « Reply #662 on: October 21, 2014, 01:07:12 pm »
    My Rogue Alpha got filtered on D2D which is crazy considering all of the werewolf erotic romance out there. Oh, and the fact that I already have an alpha romance series out that didn't get filtered. Whaaaaat? Ridiculous.

Offline KelliWolfe

• View Profile
    « Reply #663 on: October 21, 2014, 01:13:57 pm »
    If they were doing so, they seem to have stopped. There are lots of titles with banged/banging in them. I've even got a trilogy called "Banging the Brats Next Door" that has passed through review multiple times.

Olivia Blake | Lessons in Love

Offline Redacted1111

• I make stuff up.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #664 on: October 21, 2014, 01:38:53 pm »
    But you still probably can't get "Banged By The Continental Congress" past the filter.  :P
    I swear, some of my best titles are a no go.  8)  Ben Franklin was Hawt!

Honestly, the only thing that it could possibly be at this point is the historic reference in my title. I'm thinking of publishing again and changing it to something generic. But the historic reference was the fun part, so it sucks.  :(

Offline Rachel E. Rice

• View Profile
      • Rachel E. Rice Writes All
    « Reply #665 on: October 21, 2014, 01:49:43 pm »
    I will publish my 4th erotic book on Thursday. Book 3 went live on Monday (October 20, 2014). I published it on that Sunday and in less that four hours it went live. However, the sales were not there. My first book went live on a Friday and I was excited that I received 2 sales and 8 borrows. It was the first time I had written strictly erotica if you can call it that. I didn't come to any conclusions concerning publishing on the weekends, compared to the week days. I don't have enough information to formulate a conclusion, nor do I know who my audience is. Who is my audience? That is what I need to determine.
    Nevertheless, I have been writing and publishing my work without considering to whom I am writing for. Therefore, I don't expect to have many sales until I understand who my public is and what they want.
    If the purpose of this challenge is to determine if an individual can write erotica and have some success, then I would consider this a successful venture because I wrote 5,000 words or more, made covers, and formatted my books and published them each week, and I paid less than $10 for all my covers.
    Now if I want to make money at this I will need to do more. I have to find out what covers will make a man or woman pick up my books and look inside. I will have to learn to write the words and phrases that will elicit erotic emotions. And I will have to read more in this genre and research words and expressions.   
    I understand now that you can write erotica but it may not sell until you discover the formula. And what that is, I don't know.

Up date on my books:
    Book 1: 2 sales; 8 borrows
    Book 2: 2 sales; 2 borrows
    Book 3: 1 sale
    Book 4: Publish by Thursday (October 23,2014)

Check for more books by Rachel E. Rice and R.E. Rice
    Rachel E. Rice | blog | website

Offline Lovelife

• Ohio
      • View Profile
    « Reply #666 on: October 21, 2014, 02:10:57 pm »
    Stumbled across something I thought I'd share for us newbie writers. I've been having issues with formatting.. basically because I haven't used any kind of formatting or really any word processors since high school which was about 14 yrs ago (Eeek!). It's been a pain to try to focus on formatting when I just want to write. So... I found a wonderful premade template. I'm sure this is information that is everywhere, but I thought I saw a post or two earlier about formatting issues from other first time publishers in this thread. So, thought I'd share. And there is a lovely video that shows you quickly how to use it as well. :)

http://www.bmyers.com/public/Kindle_novel_template.cfm

Offline Redacted1111

• I make stuff up.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #667 on: October 21, 2014, 02:13:32 pm »
    Amazon doesn't want the public to know about the founding father's secret sex rituals.

Offline joncrocker

• Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
      • View Profile
      • Jonathan Crocker - Independent Writer
    « Reply #668 on: October 21, 2014, 02:22:29 pm »
    Hey guys, noob question here...

I was sort of inspired by this thread to goof around with a few erotica shorts. I keep seeing people talk about the "Adult" filter - how do I determine if my book has been filtered, and what impact does it have?

Jonathan Crocker | my website

Offline Redacted1111

• I make stuff up.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #669 on: October 21, 2014, 02:26:50 pm »
    The adult filter means that your book will not be found in the general search, but it can be found if searched from the Kindle section or from Books. You can find if your book has been filtered at http://www.salesrankexpress.com/

My filtered book still does better than my two PI books. I suck at PI apparently.

Offline wtvr

• North Aurora, IL
    • whatev
      • View Profile
    « Reply #670 on: October 21, 2014, 02:46:03 pm »
    So is it safe to assume that no one has been able to repeat Dirtiest Devil's success? Anyone getting close?

Offline Redacted1111

• I make stuff up.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #671 on: October 21, 2014, 02:49:55 pm »
    I've made about a lot of money since I started publishing smut on the fifth of the month. But Dirtiestdevil has more experience and probably has super secret keywords that work like pixie dust sprinkled on elfin boy/girls.

It was my book "Bred By Ben Franklin" that did it for me. I don't know what worked for others.
    « Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 02:51:59 pm by Kalypsō »

Offline legion

• CanDoLand
      • View Profile
    « Reply #672 on: October 21, 2014, 03:00:34 pm »
    Those are GREAT results!!!

Thanks! Not bad for a week I guess, but with volume, I'm looking forward to better results.

Meanwhile, I am in LOVE with that Erotology cover. Good luck, guys!
    Looking forward to hearing about the results. :)
    « Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 03:03:31 pm by legion »

Offline Sargon

• View Profile
    « Reply #673 on: October 21, 2014, 03:20:00 pm »
    So is it safe to assume that no one has been able to repeat Dirtiest Devil's success? Anyone getting close?

I'm doing pretty well, but I have 7 stories and 2 bundles out in the last 2 weeks. What do you mean specifically?

Knowing what I know now, I think it WOULD be possible to make $100 in 7 days on your first book under a new pen name, after doing enough research and getting a bit lucky. But I also realize now that it's a silly and pointless goal in the real world. What we all want is reliable income over a long time, and writing one story won't do that. Which is why everyone here is cranking out many more and building those little income generators.

That being said...The 4th book I published, which came out Oct. 10, did 58 borrows and 23 sales ($2.99) in its first 7 full days (not including date of publication). That's about $134 at the current borrow rate. It's the one that was ranked as high as #52 in Short Stories and #97 in Single Author at the same time. I have another, not related, that has sold just a couple fewer.

I'm pondering a post that includes all my results so far. It's hard, because I'm just so damn private. OK...I will say, I'm averaging $66/day gross income and I'm pretty fricking happy about it. That's not including the first week, when things were sort of ramping up. Things took a jump and never went back down, so far. My best day so far has been $95 in gross sales. My second best was yesterday at $82. I'm including borrows in all figures at $1.52 ea. When I get that first $100 day I will be in ecstasy. But not the type of ecstasy my characters are in. :-)

Some people on these forums have sales of $5,000, $10,000, $15,000 per month. Those are the kinds of numbers I want. And I don't think I want to get there writing these short smut stories, no matter how a) easy and b) fun they are. (I do think my brain is perfectly suited to writing them.) The novels I have written...it's just a hell of a lot harder, as most of us know. And immediate gratification works for me. I have always had a mental hang-up with long time periods (like, multiple months).

But I woke up this morning at 4:30 wide awake thinking about all this, and kind of decided I need to spend my writing time finishing a romance novel with erotic elements, something that could theoretically be the beginning of the road to 5 figures. You know, the kind of book that would become a series and get popular and be in the top 1,000 and all that.

BUT I also don't want to give up my $2,000/month I will be making if I can keep my average at $66/day. I'm not a full-time writer, I have other businesses I run and a family and I don't have tons of time to devote to writing. So, tough choice.

But overall, currently -- I'm pretty damn happy with what's gone on. I think about it pretty much every minute of the day, check my sales graph constantly, note the time of each increase for future reference, and have a big spreadsheet of everything including projections based on current sales. It's kind of taken over my internal life. Not sure if that's good or bad.

Joliedupre

« Reply #674 on: October 21, 2014, 03:39:10 pm »

I have one title out on a new pen name, and I have no idea who this Dirtiest Devil is. If I'm supposed to be trying to get "close" to whatever success Dirtiest Devil has, that's not my goal.

I plan to do well with this, but I'm not in a competition with anyone.  My focus is on my own success.

(In fact, I've decided, just now, that the only title I'm recording on the spreadsheet is my first one.  The rest of my erotica numbers and titles I'm keeping to myself.)

« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 03:45:22 pm by Joliedupre »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement