Author Topic: Help me, my router and wi fi printer are in a fist fight  (Read 894 times)  

Offline georgette

• View Profile
Help me, my router and wi fi printer are in a fist fight
« on: May 27, 2018, 03:31:06 pm »
I have a Spectrum Time Warner Ubee modem-router, and an HP Envy Photo 7855 printer which is brand new, but I have googled this issue and it seems that it's common for wi fi printers to mess up routers.  I even got ethernet cables for both my computer and my printer to hook directly to my modem-router, but it doesn't matter - when I turn on my printer, my wi fi completely stops working within a few minutes.  Nothing can get on the wi fi then - not my computer, my cell phone, my son's computer...the only fix is to turn off the printer and then unplug the router and plug the router back in again.

My internet searches are turning up a bunch of very complicated suggestions, and people answering and saying they tried all the suggestions but it didn't work.

My old printer also had problems, but it was five years old and the main problem was that it usually wouldn't communicate with my ancient lap top.

So here I am, new computer (an HP all in one), and a new printer, and I still can't print or scan.

New Kboards overlords - you don't own my posts and I should be allowed to delete my account!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline inconsequential

• View Profile
    Re: Help me, my router and wi fi printer are in a fist fight
    « Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 03:39:35 pm »
    I have no advice, only commiseration. Happened to me, too. HP printer... booted everyone off the wifi if it was on. Maybe even when it was plugged in? I can't remember for sure on that. But yeah. We finally had to get rid of it and get a printer that doesn't have wifi capabilities at all. When we want to print, we take the laptop over and plug it in directly. Since we switched to a wifi-less printer, no issues.

Offline 77820

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 03:48:39 pm »
    I even got ethernet cables for both my computer and my printer to hook directly to my modem-router, but it doesn't matter - when I turn on my printer, my wi fi completely stops working within a few minutes.

When you connect the printer to the router via an ethernet cable. Do you turn off the printer's wifi? If so, does the problem still occur?

Offline georgette

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 03:51:24 pm »
    When I connect the printer to the router, the wi fi automatically turns off on the printer, and the problem still occurs.  Which is really weird. 

From what inconsequential is saying, maybe I just need to return this printer and get one that's not wi fi and to be on the safe side, a different brand.
    New Kboards overlords - you don't own my posts and I should be allowed to delete my account!

Offline 77820

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 03:59:20 pm »
    When I connect the printer to the router, the wi fi automatically turns off on the printer, and the problem still occurs.  Which is really weird. 

From what inconsequential is saying, maybe I just need to return this printer and get one that's not wi fi and to be on the safe side, a different brand.

All my wi-fi printers have to be disconnected from the network manually which is why I ask. Yeah, get a different printer or see if there is a way of making sure the printer's wi-fi is really turned off when connected via an ethernet cable.

Good luck.

Offline PearlEarringLady

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 04:19:40 pm »
    My sympathies. I hate wifi printers. I have one that (eventually) deigned to communicate via wifi. Then the wifi base broke and had to be replaced. And the stupid printer stopped working because it would only talk to the OLD wifi. There was no way to reset it and reconnect (or if there was, I never found it). So now it has an ethernet cable while it waits eternally for the old wifi to magically resuscitate.

But a printer that knocks out the whole network - that takes a special kind of tech stupidity. Yuk.

Offline georgette

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 05:40:00 pm »
    With all the technological marvels we have - printer manufacturers can't manufacture a damn printer that works with a router?  It's a wi fi printer. The entire point is to work with a router.

Also my printer just TURNED ITSELF ON and informed me that it had downloaded the latest update.  Like that's not creepy.  It's Hal.  Hal is taking over!

I unplugged it.  Try turning on now, you monster!

Offline inconsequential

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 05:44:22 pm »
    With all the technological marvels we have - printer manufacturers can't manufacture a damn printer that works with a router?  It's a wi fi printer. The entire point is to work with a router.

Also my printer just TURNED ITSELF ON and informed me that it had downloaded the latest update.  Like that's not creepy.  It's Hal.  Hal is taking over!

I unplugged it.  Try turning on now, you monster!

Yep. Had similar issues. So we kept it unplugged until we needed it, and only used it when we absolutely had to. And we always had to reboot the modem/router after we were done. Pain. In. The. Butt. :(

Offline georgette

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 06:35:49 pm »
    The problem is, I can't scan to the computer, so it's basically useless to me.  Back to the store tomorrow.

Offline Rob Martin

• New York
      • View Profile
      • Robert Martin Writes
    « Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 06:44:35 pm »
    When I had Verizon wifi, narry a problem. Everything communicated, easy setup, easy print/scan/fax. The moment I switched over to Spectrum, nada. Now I have to plug the laptop directly into the printer to get anything done. I'd go back to Verizon, but I can't stand being locked into contracts.

Offline PDSinger

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: May 27, 2018, 08:40:13 pm »
    The problem is, I can't scan to the computer, so it's basically useless to me.  Back to the store tomorrow.

My printer/scanner/fax beast is a temperamental  cuss, but it does have a USB port. I have been known to scan to a thumb drive, then move the thumb drive to my laptop.  Alas, sneakernet still has a place in my workflow.

Offline Melody Simmons

• View Profile
      • Bookcoverscre8tive
    « Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 03:12:20 am »
    I don't use Wifi anything!  Connect with a cable everything I can.  And not happy that cabled devices are slowly disappearing from stores...
    « Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 03:14:06 am by Melody Simmons »

Online ImaWriter

• Canada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: May 28, 2018, 04:31:06 am »
    If you encounter the issue with another printer, maybe you need to buy a router, instead of using a router/modem combo. You just put your modem in bridge mode, and all it does is get the signal from your ISP, and your router does everything else. This is typically a better setup anyway.

Offline Adam_T

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 10:19:49 am »
    It's also possible to find a cheap wifi router to create an isolated network apart from your internet network. You'd have to switch your computer to that network to print, but might be an option.  I bought a belkin router on clearance at walmart for 7 dollars last year. Don't use it anymore, but deals like that pop up from time to time and can be good for special situations.

Some printers might be able to do what's called ad-hoc wifi, going straight from your computer to the printer, check and see if that's possible.

Offline Neil Carstairs

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: May 28, 2018, 12:57:19 pm »
    A lot of issues are caused by the router wanting to allocate IP addresses dynamically and the printer wanting a static IP address. Check on the printer what IP address it is using (this usually appears if you print out the settings) Log into your router dashboard and set the printer IP to the static address on your print out and tell it no to being dynamic for that device

Neil Carstairs | Facebook | Goodreads

Offline 75814

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 03:25:54 am »

Printer manufacturers haven't been able to manufacture a damn printer that isn't a total piece of crap in pretty much ever. The day I find a printer that doesn't give me a million headaches is the day I start going to church, because such a thing could only be possible through the work of a divine power.

Hopefully these will help you take your mind off your printer woes for a few minutes:

Your Printer is a Brat (CollegeHumor)

Why I Believe Printers Were Sent From Hell to Make Us Miserable (The Oatmeal)

Offline RedAlert

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: May 29, 2018, 10:42:25 am »
    Not saying that this is your problem, or that it is a problem for you, but the FBI just requested anyone with a router to reboot due to malware that is potentially messing with routers.  It is supposed to be malware associated with Fancy Bear. and it captures data from you.

My cat has knocked my printer onto the floor two days in a row, so mine probably won't work now, even with a cable.  Oh, well...

Offline georgette

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: May 29, 2018, 05:18:54 pm »
    Yes, printers ARE Satan's minions!

I returned the HP.  I bought an Epson.

It will print, but it will not scan to my computer.  I used a USB cable to connect them and it still can't "see" my computer.   It's a huge PITA because I live in a rural area, so if I need to sign a document - like I do right now - I have to drive half an hour to a Kinko's and scan it in.

But I do feel better knowing it's not just me.

I had this problem with my Toshiba laptop and my old printer, and now I'm having this problem with my brand new HP desktop and with two different brand new printers.

As for the modem router - unfortunately since it is from Spectrum, and I have a home phone, I have to use their modem routers or it won't work.

I am at my wit's end.  I could call a computer repair person and have them come to my home but then I could end up spending a couple hundred bucks to have them tell me there's nothing that they can do.

Online ImaWriter

• Canada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: May 29, 2018, 05:51:05 pm »
    As for the modem router - unfortunately since it is from Spectrum, and I have a home phone, I have to use their modem routers or it won't work.

I would do some further research on this. My internet and landline are from my ISP/Cable company. I still have to use the modem/router combo that they provide, but basically what I do is shut down the router side of it, and use my own router. This is called putting the modem/router in bridge mode.

I have a Brother wi-fi printer that's nine or ten years old. It's wired to my desktop, and my laptop and all devices can print to it via wi-fi. I have never had a blip with it from the time I set it up. And I have always used my own router, never the router/modem my cable company supplies me with.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement