Author Topic: Where do you write?  (Read 744 times)  

Offline beccaprice

• SE MIchigan
    • View Profile
    • Wyrm Tales Press
Where do you write?
« on: October 07, 2014, 07:28:54 am »
Normally, I write at home, at my desk - but at home there's all sorts of interruptions and distractions.

Yesterday, while waiting for a friend at B&N, I pulled out my alphasmart, and got a lot of work done. I'm being tempted to go to our local coffee house and write there, but I keep wondering why I should - I can make a pot of tea perfectly well at home, drink as much as I like, write in the comfort of my home without having to get dressed in real clothes... but then, I did get an awful lot done.

so I'm debating back and forth about staying in and going out. My cheapness says, stay in. but still...

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline TLarcombe

• View Profile
    Re: Where do you write?
    « Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 08:32:47 am »
    I write wherever I happen to be when I have the time. I do have my favorites however.

Potential TMI warning:
    I'm most productive writing when I take my laptop either to the hot tub (I have a stand outside that I made that's just the right height) or bathtub (standard TV tray keeps the laptop where I can get to it without it getting wet). So either of those ways is technically in.

I'm always a bit edgy around people I don't know so it's more difficult for me to write if I take my laptop to the local coffee shop or wherever. So I get what writing I can done during the day when the kids are in school. In the evenings I'll do things like proofreading or formatting so that if they interrupt me I don't lose the flow of what I'm writing, then after they go to bed it's tub time for me and that's when I get most of my writing done.

Tom...

Tom Larcombe | My Blog

Offline Drake

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 08:33:08 am »
    I write at home.  The distractions can be a problem, but I could never write with conversations going on around me.
    Drake Andross

Offline Marilyn Peake

• View Profile
      • Marilyn Peake: Author Website
    « Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 08:37:30 am »
    I usually write in my office at home. That works out well for me, but only when the house is quiet.

Marilyn Peake | Website | Newsletter | Facebook | Twitter | BookBub | Wattpad

Offline AA.A

• United Arab Emirates
    • Do not wait for the tide to take you, my boy."
      • View Profile
      • Author Blog
    « Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 09:36:23 am »
    Sometimes home, sometimes at a local cafe and sometimes at the office.

Offline BrentKnowles

• View Profile
      • Game Design and Writing Blog
    « Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 09:42:16 am »
    Basically I'm least productive in my office. Which is kind of sad. (I blame the Internet).

I find the treadmill more productive because I usually find I'm able to focus more (fewer distractions since the treadmill is stuffed in a corner and I'm staring at a blank wall).

I have also found that I am usually a bit more productive when I write at a coffee shop. Yes the noises can be distracting, but I find it less so than the Internet (I don't connect when I'm out of the office) -- plus you can eavesdrop on interesting conversations:)

Game Designer (BioWare - Dragon Age, Baldur's Gate 2), Writers of the Future Winner
    Brent Knowles | blog  | AuthorControl | Amazon | Englex | Facebook | Twitter

Offline beccaprice

• SE MIchigan
      • View Profile
      • Wyrm Tales Press
    « Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 09:43:05 am »
    I just tried going to the local coffee shop, and couldn't write there, even though it was nice and quiet - so maybe I just can't write today. I got about a thousand words down, but I think I'm going to throw them all out. I'm not even sure whether that particular story is salvageable. <grump>

Offline GP Hudson

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 09:50:20 am »
    I find I am most productive when sitting at a carrel at the university library. I tried working at home and at the coffee shop and can be productive there, but there is something about the quiet of the reading room at the library and the seclusion of the carrel that beats everything else.

Offline justagirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 10:11:08 am »
    I write mostly at home. On my husband's desk in the living room, when he's not home, and in my bed when he is. (I do have a desk of my own in the bedroom, but usually it's just easier to write on the bed.)

I do like to occasionally get out of the house, but I think that has more to do with rarely leaving the house than writing. I don't get nearly as much done when I write at say, Barnes and Noble - unless I can snag a table where no one else can see my laptop screen.

But I prefer things to be pretty much silent when writing. Husband's going to be home for a week starting tomorrow, and I've got a big deadline, and I'm kind of dreading trying to write while he's playing video games.

Offline abishop

• Ottawa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 11:10:31 am »
    I'm by far the most productive when I write at my computer desk at home.

Adam Bishop | Web | Twitter

Offline AmpersandBookInteriors

• Because & means more.
      • View Profile
      • Ampersand Book Interiors
    « Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 11:28:59 am »
    T.A.'s got a good set up at home: computer desk on one side of the bed, TV with chosen kaiju movies playing (recent favorites: Gamera. Sorry, Gojira).

Her home benefits are: no other people except me, complete privacy, and our bed is just dang comfy. Not to mention she can switch between writing, games, and the TV at will.

I could actually write well in coffee shops. I like the energy of people even if I really don't want to talk to any of them, and I can focus with it well (except when they sit around and eat lunch, chomping like horses. Yuck. ).

Keeping the TV on in the bedroom is a good middle-ground, though, since everything is in Japanese and I can't understand what's being said in the movies so I don't just sit and watch all day.

Ebook formatting starting at $25.00. Print typesetting starting at $75.00.
    Colleen Sheehan | Ampersand Book Interiors

Offline Robert Dahlen

• Acme Labs
    • Thank you, Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Monkey Queen Books
    « Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 11:33:54 am »
    I write on my commute, some on the train, some on the shuttle bus, some while waiting for one or the other. This is why I use a tablet for writing; it's much easier to carry it and pull it out than a laptop would be. I also write at home, usually in the bedroom so I don't have to watch my wife's violent cop shows. :D I usually have my headphones on, with music or sports, to keep the noise around me from being too much of a distraction.
    Fantasy novelist, all-around wisecracker and penguin aficionado. Need some fantasy adventure with heroines, humor and heart, and a touch of romance? Skyblade's Gambit and Book Fair Frenzy available exclusively at Amazon! Get all the Monkey Queen e-books at Amazon and other ebook retailers! Find previews, cover art, short stories and much more at the blog or the website!
    Robert Dahlen | Blog | Website | Amazon Central | Willow the cover artist! | Avatar by Calomiel!

Offline valeriec80

• View Profile
      • V. J. Chambers, author
    « Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 12:00:31 pm »
    The first six months I was full time, I wrote the same place that I'd been writing, which was sitting on the couch in the living room on my laptop, while my boyfriend slept or played video games right next to me. It was not very ergonomic, but it was doable.

When we moved, we found a place with an extra bedroom for my office, and I love, love, love having a place to go and shut the door. It says, "I am working now," and it makes all the difference, both to my psyche and to my boyfriend. I don't go in there unless I'm going to write, so it's like flipping a little switch in my head. Writing on.

When I got my crazy windfall with Slow Burn, I was able to buy new computers, and I got a teeny laptop to be my hang-around-the-house computer, and a desktop for my work computer. That helped make a distinction, since I pretty much only surf the internets on my laptop. I use the internet on my work computer, but mostly for research, accessing a thesaurus, looking up baby name sites to name characters, and other writing-related tasks.

Thanks for making this thread. Sometimes, I get really caught up in the present moment of my writing career, and it feels like I'm going nowhere, but looking back like this had made me see how far I've come, and how lucky I've been thus far. And I feel very blessed at the moment. Warm fuzzies! (Yes, me, with warm fuzzies, believe it or not.)

Offline Lionel's Mom

• Texas
    • and stupid stuff, it makes us shout.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 12:14:46 pm »

Warm fuzzies! (Yes, me, with warm fuzzies, believe it or not.)

Lol, that was the best part of being pregnant. It was like the world's best drug trip sometimes. (and worst at others. Don't watch sad documentaries!!)

I have three spots I write. The couch with my laptop on my lap. It has a recliner so I'm not hunching over too much. I have a wonderful desk with a little bicycle thing underneath it. And sometimes I work at the kitchen table which we sadly never eat at. Oh, that's all at home. Sometimes I go to the library near my house.

Offline Gigi Priest

• Houston, Texas
    • Author of Fantasy Erotica
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 12:37:02 pm »
    I used to write at my computer in the living room, but just last week I rearranged the kiddos and stole one of their rooms for my new office. It's nice to have a relatively quiet place to escape to. (:

Offline Crystal_

• Portland, OR
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 12:39:36 pm »
    I write in my office/bedroom at home. I mostly use the computer for writing, so I don't associate it with relaxing or having fun. Plus, I have a nice, ergonomic setup.

One day, I would like to have a separate office (with a separate computer even), so that I have a place that is 100 percent for work. I just got the Sims 4, and it's messing with my computer is only for work mentality. And I don't enjoy the game as much because I associate the computer with work.

While I enjoy a change in scenery, I run into too many practical issues if I go out. I get dehydrated from too much coffee/tea, and constantly have to pee. Or I get hungry and there are no snacks I can eat (I have major food allergies). Or it's too hot, too cold, too loud.

Offline BrentKnowles

• View Profile
      • Game Design and Writing Blog
    « Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 01:36:10 pm »
    I think having a writing dedicated computer would certainly help me focus more on writing. I definitely encourage those of you who aren't really into games and other activities not to start up with them on your writing rig! It can be a difficult habit to break for us weak willed types :)

The problem I run into is that I need the computer for a variety of pay-the-rent activities (I do freelancing) so I always have an excuse to be 'not writing'. That's why I find going out to write helpful. I won't use a coffee shops wifi ('cause I'm a security freak) or anything so it keeps me off the Net.

Plus I like coffee and don't own a coffee maker but that's an entirely different story.

Game Designer (BioWare - Dragon Age, Baldur's Gate 2), Writers of the Future Winner
    Brent Knowles | blog  | AuthorControl | Amazon | Englex | Facebook | Twitter

Offline JSViolett

• CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 01:58:11 pm »
    I do 2/3 of my writing in my office supervised by a cat.  Half the time I write seated, the other half standing by elevating my laptop on a stepstool + Leonardo da Vinci book of Sketches & Drawings. 

The other 1/3 I do in a library.  Seated.  No cat. 

KBoards.com

• Advertisement