Author Topic: Kindle Voyage First Impressions  (Read 68492 times)  

Offline CAR

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle Voyage First Impressions
« Reply #100 on: October 21, 2014, 10:20:24 pm »
Well I got about 30 books loaded on my Voyage so far.  My screen very nice.  I can read very well at one smaller font size, then on the Paperwhite. The text is darker and that was a big thing for me.  Both page sensors seem even, but will take some time to get used to. 
I like the Amazon Leather cover a lot.  The auto brightness well... not so sure about that yet.  Overall very happy so far. :)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 10:27:34 pm by CAR »

K2US v2.5.7 / 2x(One is SO)K3 White 3G/Wi-Fi + Oberon Bold Celtic in Black / 2x PW2 3G W/O / Voyage 3G W/O / PW3 3G W/O / Oasis 3g W/O

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
      • View Profile
    « Reply #101 on: October 22, 2014, 04:32:51 am »
    I'd be afraid I'd break it, it looks so fragile."  I assured him that advance reviews showed it was not fragile in spite of it's size.

I felt the same way - I have it tucked into the bottom of one of my old Oberons - figure its ok as long as I don't transport it anywhere.   It really is so small and thin!

Offline TammyC

• PA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #102 on: October 22, 2014, 04:35:50 am »
    Last night while reading I noticed a good bit of page turns when I just had my finger on top of the button (I did not press at all). I played around with both sides, I would just sit my finger on it then slide it up or down a little and probably half the time it would change pages with no pressure at all. Anyone else notice this?
    Tammy

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
      • View Profile
    « Reply #103 on: October 22, 2014, 04:37:15 am »
    Does anyone else have page press issues?

My only issue - and I think its just going to take awhile to get used to - is that - if I take my thumb away - it takes me awhile to figure out exactly where to put it back.  Its not just a matter of "feeling the button" as I did on the basic Kindle.  But I think I will get used to it.  I'm just so happy not to have to move my thumb out to the swipe the screen.

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #104 on: October 22, 2014, 04:44:29 am »
    Well I got about 30 books loaded on my Voyage so far.  My screen very nice.  I can read very well at one smaller font size, then on the Paperwhite. The text is darker and that was a big thing for me.  Both page sensors seem even, but will take some time to get used to. 
    I like the Amazon Leather cover a lot.  The auto brightness well... not so sure about that yet.  Overall very happy so far. :)

I agree with all that you said. I also find that I can read with a smaller font and that is really nice. Page sensors are nice and I think I like them, but will take a little time to get used to. Since it only takes a little tap on the screen to turn the page as well, I'm not sure I will use them a lot, but it's nice to have the option again. I'm not sold yet on auto brightness either, but I like that the option is there. I really never changed the brightness on mine unless I was in complete darkness, which is rare. I will leave it on this setting for a while and see how it goes.

I really like the Amazon leather cover as well. I like the feel of it and since the cover is smaller than the Fire origami cover, it doesn't seem as flimsy when you open it as that one did. I actually like the flip cover as it makes it easier to prop it up when I need to. I also love that it is form fitting to the kindle and just makes it all more compact. I definitely think I'll be keeping this cover!

Overall, this thing is amazing. Love it!  :D Makes my PW2 with the Amazon cover seem so bulky now.

Offline drew0020

• View Profile
    « Reply #105 on: October 22, 2014, 05:16:33 am »
    My Voyage has the same problem with the screen.  Top half yellow, bottom half blue almost like a cheap LCD screen.  In a room with bright light you will never see the problem present itself.  In darker rooms it becomes readily apparent.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #106 on: October 22, 2014, 05:17:34 am »

Others here simply won't see the issue even when presented with it, and I don't blame them. Some people are simply not as visually picky. Fair enough.

Please.

It's not that we "won't see the issue". It's that it is not possible to claim an issue on EVERY device when you've not SEEN every device. While I agree that, based on your experience, you are not happy, I can honestly say that I used mine for hours yesterday in various light levels from brightest to nearly black and saw no discernible difference in lighting from top to bottom of the page. It's a great device with a beautiful screen.

It may very well be an issue on some devices, and certainly an individual eyes may be more or less sensitive to slight differences. It may even be that for some people it WOULD BE an issue on every device because of that person's eye sensitivity. But I really don't care for the implication that people who are saying their device is fine are either lying or clueless.

I don't know whether I'd notice it on your devices or not, but it's not something I'm going to confirm or deny I see based on photographs -- my experience in photographing my own screens is that they never look as good, to me, in a photo, as they do for real. Plus the screen the photo is displayed on can have an effect as well.  So far I've seen ONE in real life and, to my eye, it is fine.
    « Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 05:25:40 am by Ann in Arlington »
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #107 on: October 22, 2014, 05:19:15 am »
    I felt the same way - I have it tucked into the bottom of one of my old Oberons - figure its ok as long as I don't transport it anywhere.   It really is so small and thin!

One of the tech blogs posted a review and the guy said he spent one afternoon repeatedly dropping it and couldn't make it break. So as dainty as it seems, it's apparently really tough. :D
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #108 on: October 22, 2014, 05:20:54 am »
    Last night while reading I noticed a good bit of page turns when I just had my finger on top of the button (I did not press at all). I played around with both sides, I would just sit my finger on it then slide it up or down a little and probably half the time it would change pages with no pressure at all. Anyone else notice this?

You can adjust the pressure needed to turn the pages. In the menu go to settings and reading preferences I think. If it's turning pages with what feels like no pressure to you, you probably want to increase the sensitivity. There are only 3 setttings and it comes set to medium. If you're still having trouble at high, you may want to turn that bit off altogether and just turn pages by tapping as usual.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #109 on: October 22, 2014, 05:24:06 am »
    I agree with all that you said. I also find that I can read with a smaller font and that is really nice. Page sensors are nice and I think I like them, but will take a little time to get used to. Since it only takes a little tap on the screen to turn the page as well, I'm not sure I will use them a lot, but it's nice to have the option again. I'm not sold yet on auto brightness either, but I like that the option is there. I really never changed the brightness on mine unless I was in complete darkness, which is rare. I will leave it on this setting for a while and see how it goes.

I really like the Amazon leather cover as well. I like the feel of it and since the cover is smaller than the Fire origami cover, it doesn't seem as flimsy when you open it as that one did. I actually like the flip cover as it makes it easier to prop it up when I need to. I also love that it is form fitting to the kindle and just makes it all more compact. I definitely think I'll be keeping this cover!

Overall, this thing is amazing. Love it!  :D Makes my PW2 with the Amazon cover seem so bulky now.

So, even with the Zon cover it's still very light? And there's no problem with the page press? Do you have the regular or the leather cover?

I've used mine for half a day now and think I'm probably going to want a cover but am not sure about the top-flip origami. And I don't want to add either weight or bulk though, of course, any cover will add some.  I'd just like to minimize that. I also read that with a cover you need to set the pressure sensitivity up.

I think I'll swing by Best Buy today and see if they have any in stock I can take a look at.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline TammyC

• PA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #110 on: October 22, 2014, 05:28:50 am »
    You can adjust the pressure needed to turn the pages. In the menu go to settings and reading preferences I think. If it's turning pages with what feels like no pressure to you, you probably want to increase the sensitivity. There are only 3 setttings and it comes set to medium. If you're still having trouble at high, you may want to turn that bit off altogether and just turn pages by tapping as usual.

Thanks Ann! I just went in and adjusted it and I'll give that a try after work tonight! Thanks for the help!
    Tammy

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #111 on: October 22, 2014, 05:49:20 am »
    So, even with the Zon cover it's still very light? And there's no problem with the page press? Do you have the regular or the leather cover?

I'm not really sure why some think a cover would interfere with the PagePress, unless you cover the bezel?  You press from the top of the device.  I can use my PagePress buttons when the V is laying on the table, though the touch screen is easier in that case.

My only issue - and I think its just going to take awhile to get used to - is that - if I take my thumb away - it takes me awhile to figure out exactly where to put it back.  Its not just a matter of "feeling the button" as I did on the basic Kindle.  But I think I will get used to it.  I'm just so happy not to have to move my thumb out to the swipe the screen.

This is my one complaint.  As I said earlier, I would have liked (and kind of expected) that the lines and dots I could see on the product pages and on the device were actually slightly raised, ala Braille....

Betsy

Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline jlee745

• Fantasyland
      • View Profile
    « Reply #112 on: October 22, 2014, 05:49:32 am »
    Has anyone tried to see if it would fit in an Oberon pw2 case?

Offline Kathy

• Lighthouse Point, FL
    • Member 376
      • View Profile
    « Reply #113 on: October 22, 2014, 05:51:51 am »
    Ann, please let me know about the cover if you go to Best Buy.  I would prefer the leather, but I wanted pink and the leather doesn't come in pink. I may have to pop over to Best Buy and look at them. Not happy with the Belkin cover at all.

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #114 on: October 22, 2014, 05:55:56 am »
    I can't speak to the Oberon, but it just barely fits inside my old PW/PW2 case.  It's just small enough on the sides to not fit, and there's about a 1/4 inch gap at the top.  I've been putting my V into the PW case when I'm not using it.  The autowake feature doesn't work, however.

Betsy

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #115 on: October 22, 2014, 06:02:01 am »
    I'm not really sure why some think a cover would interfere with the PagePress, unless you cover the bezel?  You press from the top of the device.  I can use my PagePress buttons when the V is laying on the table, though the touch screen is easier in that case.

I ask because Amazon specifically says in the Users Guide that, with a cover, you may have to set the sensitivity up some. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me either, though if you have a cover that doesn't fit flush I can see there being some give when you press so you'd need to press harder for it to register. A fitted cover shouldn't be much different to naked, though. So I wanted to hear the thoughts of some real person who'd actually used it. :)

This is my one complaint.  As I said earlier, I would have liked (and kind of expected) that the lines and dots I could see on the product pages and on the device were actually slightly raised, ala Braille....

Betsy

Yeah, slightly raised would be an improvement. But as I was examining mine last night it occurred to me that, really, the 'screen' goes edge to edge. It's just that in those areas there's a haptic sensor -- kind of like on my phone where there's a row of always-there icons on the bottom. They never change, so they're not really part of the screen, but they are part of the physical material that makes the screen. That's why I think there's no braille bump like on the f and g of a physical keyboard.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #116 on: October 22, 2014, 06:02:42 am »
    Ann, please let me know about the cover if you go to Best Buy.  I would prefer the leather, but I wanted pink and the leather doesn't come in pink. I may have to pop over to Best Buy and look at them. Not happy with the Belkin cover at all.

Can I ask what it is about the Belkin that's not working -- or maybe this is a conversation better had in Accessories. :D
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Online Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #117 on: October 22, 2014, 06:04:22 am »
    I didn't want to spend the extra money on the Amazon cover right away, so I went digging in my stash of covers.  (I really don't remember purchasing THAT many covers for my K2!)  I found several covers that I purchased for either my first Basic or my PW1 that have the elastic straps.  Those are holding the V OK for now.  I want to see what other cover options come out after people have had a chance to use the new design for a while.
    I am also desperate to skin it.  The bezel is not as bad about attracting fingerprints as my PW1 was, but that strip on the back - not sure why manufacturers continue to use glossy plastic on stuff.  Of course it I keep it in a case, that won't be a big deal, but I did enjoy reading it without a case yesterday.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #118 on: October 22, 2014, 06:07:32 am »
    I can't speak to the Oberon, but it just barely fits inside my old PW/PW2 case.  It's just small enough on the sides to not fit, and there's about a 1/4 inch gap at the top.  I've been putting my V into the PW case when I'm not using it.  The autowake feature doesn't work, however.

Betsy

Wow!  Just tried that.  Putting it in the PW cover really does make it obvious how much smaller the V is. Width is similar but it's shorter and very definitely thinner. :o  Even holding them both naked I'd not noticed as much difference!
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Kathy

• Lighthouse Point, FL
    • Member 376
      • View Profile
    « Reply #119 on: October 22, 2014, 06:10:15 am »
    Can I ask what it is about the Belkin that's not working -- or maybe this is a conversation better had in Accessories. :D

I don't have the Voyage yet. Just don't like the feel of it. Very hard plastic and feels flimsy. I posted in Accessories as well.

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #120 on: October 22, 2014, 06:14:26 am »
    I ask because Amazon specifically says in the Users Guide that, with a cover, you may have to set the sensitivity up some. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me either, though if you have a cover that doesn't fit flush I can see there being some give when you press so you'd need to press harder for it to register. A fitted cover shouldn't be much different to naked, though. So I wanted to hear the thoughts of some real person who'd actually used it. :)

Do you have a location number for that?  I can't find it in the version of the User's Guide I've been reading on the iPad (which happens to be the British version--perhaps it's not in there :D)

Yeah, slightly raised would be an improvement. But as I was examining mine last night it occurred to me that, really, the 'screen' goes edge to edge. It's just that in those areas there's a haptic sensor -- kind of like on my phone where there's a row of always-there icons on the bottom. They never change, so they're not really part of the screen, but they are part of the physical material that makes the screen. That's why I think there's no braille bump like on the f and g of a physical keyboard.

Good reason.  I've been thinking of putting a tiny drop of Elmer's next to the line--can be removed with water...but I'll see if I just get used to it first.

Betsy

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #121 on: October 22, 2014, 06:23:57 am »
    Do you have a location number for that?  I can't find it in the version of the User's Guide I've been reading on the iPad (which happens to be the British version--perhaps it's not in there :D)

Betsy

Around loc 525. It says it under Feedback Settings:

"If your Kindle is in a cover, we recommend the High setting."
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #122 on: October 22, 2014, 06:24:09 am »
    OK, found it looking at the Guide on my V--at location 521, it says "If your Kindle is in a cover, we recommend the High setting."

How strange....

Betsy

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #123 on: October 22, 2014, 06:31:51 am »
    I keep switching mine 'cause sometimes I feel like I'm not feeling it/it's not working and sometimes it does. Mostly I think I've just not yet learned where my thumb needs to sit.

It's not going back, though . . . . . I don't often get viscerally attached to things but . . . wow . . . . it's . . . . like . . . . AMAZING! :o I'm newly in awe looking at it this morning rather than the PW I'm used to getting my paper on. :D (I switched the subscription yesterday.)
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #124 on: October 22, 2014, 06:38:46 am »

I've used mine for half a day now and think I'm probably going to want a cover but am not sure about the top-flip origami. And I don't want to add either weight or bulk though, of course, any cover will add some.  I'd just like to minimize that. I also read that with a cover you need to set the pressure sensitivity up.

I think I'll swing by Best Buy today and see if they have any in stock I can take a look at.

I think it still feels light, but maybe just because it's smaller my mind thinks it is. :D My scale shows the PW2 in the Amazon cover weighs 12 oz. and the Voyage with the leather Amazon cover weighs 11 oz.  So I guess it's not much lighter, but with it being thinner and smaller, it feels lighter to me. I love being able to get the kindle out so easily. Much easier than getting the PW out of it's cover.

I actually have the leather cover and the non-leather one. They both feel nice. The leather one is a pebbled leather. The other one has a smooth feel to it. Both are nice and I don't have a problem with either. I would choose based on the color I wanted since both are nice.

No problems with page press. I have the feedback set to "high"  and the pressure set to "low". Works great and haven't had any problems with that so far.

As you said, every cover is going to add some bulk, but I feel since these are form fitting that they would probably add the least amount of bulk. I haven't seen any others in person though to compare.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement