Author Topic: Kindle Voyage First Impressions  (Read 68527 times)  

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle Voyage First Impressions
« Reply #125 on: October 22, 2014, 06:45:42 am »
I think it still feels light, but maybe just because it's smaller my mind thinks it is. :D My scale shows the PW2 in the Amazon cover weighs 12 oz. and the Voyage with the leather Amazon cover weighs 11 oz.  So I guess it's not much lighter, but with it being thinner and smaller, it feels lighter to me. I love being able to get the kindle out so easily. Much easier than getting the PW out of it's cover.

I actually have the leather cover and the non-leather one. They both feel nice. The leather one is a pebbled leather. The other one has a smooth feel to it. Both are nice and I don't have a problem with either. I would choose based on the color I wanted since both are nice.

No problems with page press. I have the feedback set to "high"  and the pressure set to "low". Works great and haven't had any problems with that so far.

As you said, every cover is going to add some bulk, but I feel since these are form fitting that they would probably add the least amount of bulk. I haven't seen any others in person though to compare.

Thanks for your thoughts, KindleGirl . . . . . and appreciate the extra effort of actually weighing them. :)
My Kindles
Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
      • View Profile
    « Reply #126 on: October 22, 2014, 06:50:21 am »
    I've been thinking of putting a tiny drop of Elmer's next to the line--can be removed with water...but I'll see if I just get used to it first.

Betsy

Let us know if that helps.  I'm ok when the room isn't dark,  but when I read last night in a dark room.. I really can't see the white line that well.

Offline Kal

• Texas, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #127 on: October 22, 2014, 07:07:01 am »
    My only issue - and I think its just going to take awhile to get used to - is that - if I take my thumb away - it takes me awhile to figure out exactly where to put it back.  Its not just a matter of "feeling the button" as I did on the basic Kindle.  But I think I will get used to it.  I'm just so happy not to have to move my thumb out to the swipe the screen.

I've gotten used to the location of the sensors. If you look down the edge of the white screen and mentally divide it into thirds: Put your thumb at the 1/3 mark from the bottom of the screen and you page forward; put your thumb at the 1/3 mark from the top and you page back. I can do this in the dark.

Overall, I'm very pleased upgrading from the Paperwhite 1.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #128 on: October 22, 2014, 07:18:36 am »
    So I was admiring my new toy just now, and noticed a 'smudge' in the upper left corner. Circular -- so I wiped it with my sleeve but it wouldn't go away. "Hmmm," I thought, "That's weird."  And then it hit me: that's the light sensor that lets it dim itself when it gets dark.  Duh! :D
    « Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 07:23:36 am by Ann in Arlington »
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Eltanin Publishing

• Charlotte, VT
    • Cathy Ryan - Editor-in-Chief
      • View Profile
      • Eltanin Publishing
    « Reply #129 on: October 22, 2014, 07:20:12 am »
    The Incipio top-hinge cover that I bought has a cut-out near the page turn areas. I don't know why - it's not necessary - but in any case, that cut out gives me a reference for where to hold & press to turn pages, when I'm reading in the dark.

I noticed that the page turn buttons don't page forward when you search for a word in your book, a title or author in your library, or in the store, and you're presented with several pages of results - you have to swipe. I'll send an email to kindle feedback, suggesting they update the software, but will probably wait a few days (they're probably overwhelmed at the moment).

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
      • View Profile
    « Reply #130 on: October 22, 2014, 07:22:12 am »
    I've gotten used to the location of the sensors. If you look down the edge of the white screen and mentally divide it into thirds: Put your thumb at the 1/3 mark from the bottom of the screen and you page forward; put your thumb at the 1/3 mark from the top and you page back. I can do this in the dark.

Overall, I'm very pleased upgrading from the Paperwhite 1.

Thanks for the tip.. I will try that today.  But I do think they could have made it easier to feel in the dark!

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
      • View Profile
    « Reply #131 on: October 22, 2014, 07:24:29 am »
    The Incipio top-hinge cover that I bought has a cut-out near the page turn areas. I don't know why - it's not necessary - but in any case, that cut out gives me a reference for where to hold & press to turn pages, when I'm reading in the dark.

That might help too.. I don't want a top-hinge cover but maybe there will be other covers with cut-outs.

Offline derek alvah

• View Profile
    « Reply #132 on: October 22, 2014, 07:29:29 am »
    Well, after reading a while I must say I am happy. My screen is perfect. light is even. No splotches. Text is super clear and dark. Page turn buttons work great. At first I was getting thumb cramps because I have large hands and long thumbs. I thought I had to keep my thumb bent and press exactly on top of the page turn line in order to turn the page. Now I just grip it naturally (guess I was afraid of hurting the tiny thing) and my thumb reaches almost to the page back button, but I have had no issues with accidental page backs or page forwards.  I have the feedback setting on high and pressure setting on low and still have no accidental page turns. The auto light setting has worked perfect so far in varying light levels.

Not sure about the Amazon cover though. I'm not hating it or anything, but it just doesn't feel good in my hands. Is the kindle really secure in it? The Paperwhite 2 was very secure in its cover. I had to wrestle to get it out. My Voyage just drops into its cover and lifts right out. Not sold on the flip top either. Will be waiting for some good after market covers.

Online Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #133 on: October 22, 2014, 07:29:45 am »
    I thought I had no interest in a V, but now . . . .  Well . . . .  I don't like covers -- I like sleeves.  So when Oberon stopped making sleeves, I bought three.  At that time, the Touch was the latest Kindle.  Touch just, I mean just, fit in the sleeve.  Both PWs also fit in sleeves perfectly.  It looks like V will also.  So now I probably will get it.  Should read through this thread first.  End of November?  I'm waiting until mid November for my iPhone 6 Plus.   :(

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
    His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #134 on: October 22, 2014, 07:35:41 am »

Not sure about the Amazon cover though. I'm not hating it or anything, but it just doesn't feel good in my hands. Is the kindle really secure in it? The Paperwhite 2 was very secure in its cover. I had to wrestle to get it out. My Voyage just drops into its cover and lifts right out. Not sold on the flip top either. Will be waiting for some good after market covers.

FWIW, it's a similar design to the Fire covers which really hold the device very securely.  I don't think you need to worry about it falling out; it's just easier to take in and out on purpose. (Some people, apparently, do periodically put kindles in and out of covers and didn't like the wrestling required. :) )
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #135 on: October 22, 2014, 07:36:19 am »
    I thought I had no interest in a V, but now . . . .  Well . . . .  I don't like covers -- I like sleeves.  So when Oberon stopped making sleeves, I bought three.  At that time, the Touch was the latest Kindle.  Touch just, I mean just, fit in the sleeve.  Both PWs also fit in sleeves perfectly.  It looks like V will also.  So now I probably will get it.  Should read through this thread first.  End of November?  I'm waiting until mid November for my iPhone 6 Plus.   :(

I have a V and a Touch and, if the Touch and the PWs fit in the sleeve, the V will.  It's ever-so-slightly narrower than both the Touch and the PWs.

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #136 on: October 22, 2014, 07:53:02 am »
    I have a V and a Touch and, if the Touch and the PWs fit in the sleeve, the V will.  It's ever-so-slightly narrower than both the Touch and the PWs.

Betsy

And significantly thinner. :)
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Online Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #137 on: October 22, 2014, 08:03:53 am »
    Why do I read these threads? I had paid no attention to the Voyage. With my Fire, PW1 (or is it 2?), and iPad Mini I figure I have plenty of options to read from. The Voyage is thinner? Fits in purses better? Has page turner buttons? On my! I am so easy!
    Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline stupidhuman

• View Profile
    « Reply #138 on: October 22, 2014, 08:24:29 am »

Screen really is absolutely flush with the bezel --

This point is currently my favorite new feature!

Offline CAR

• Los Angeles, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #139 on: October 22, 2014, 08:44:56 am »
    Well with a heavy heart I packed up the Voyage and cover to return to Amazon this morning  :'(

The Screen on my device was great so that was not the reason for returning the Voyage.  Here are the reasons:

I found the touch screen to be a pain to use compared with the Paperwhite.  Maybe it was my Voyage, but the screen would not respond 50% of the time.  Also just trying to change the location to page for example at the bottom was a challenge.

For me the Voyage does not seem as one hand reader friendly, as I had hoped.  Its almost like the bezel is a little too small, to use the page turn buttons and hold the Kindle comfortably.  (This may vary greatly with hand size)

Lastly I found the auto brightness feature to be a wonky.  For example on my Voyage if you have the feature turned on it will still allow you to adjust the screen brightness manually.  That is great, but then the device will never auto adjust the brightness again.  If you toggle the setting, sometimes it still does not work.  :o

K2US v2.5.7 / 2x(One is SO)K3 White 3G/Wi-Fi + Oberon Bold Celtic in Black / 2x PW2 3G W/O / Voyage 3G W/O / PW3 3G W/O / Oasis 3g W/O

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #140 on: October 22, 2014, 10:20:10 am »
    CAR -- sorry you felt you had to return it.  :(

I figure I'll need some time to thoroughly get used to the size but I haven't had the lighting or touch response issues you describe.

Everyone gets to decide for themselves of course. My feeling is: I've got 30 days to decide whether I like it, so I'm going to use a bunch of them before giving up. (Not that I'm even leaning that way yet, personally.) And before giving up I'd definitely contact Kindle CS about the concerns I have. That said: it's not cheap, so everyone certainly has a right to be completely satisfied.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline KimberlyinMN

• NW Minnesota
    • Kindle Voyage Wi-Fi
      • View Profile
    « Reply #141 on: October 22, 2014, 10:22:28 am »
    I noticed the uneven color on the screen on my Voyage during the setup process in a fairly well-lit office. However, once I turned the brightness down to where I normally read at (11), the discoloration wasn't noticeable. I can't make a final judgement until I am reading in a totally dark room. It's definitely not as noticeable as the 9+ PW1 units I exchanged. :)

Offline WilliamG

• View Profile
    « Reply #142 on: October 22, 2014, 10:37:15 am »
    For those wondering the differences between the 3 Kindle Voyage units I have opened (I refuse to open the 4th one...). The one on the right is indeed the coolest color temperature of the three, but all three suffer the same issue in the same places.

Brightness set to 13. Auto-brightness off.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 11:05:05 am by WilliamG »

Offline lindnet

• Redding, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #143 on: October 22, 2014, 11:50:55 am »

Yes, it does fit in the Oberon sleeves.  I also bought a couple when they were being discontinued.  :)

I may end up sending mine back, too, though.  I agree with some of CAR's reasons.  Mostly I'm just not sure I can justify spending the money when I don't think it's noticeably better than my PW2.  Try as I might, I can't really see that the text is darker/better or that the device is any faster.  I do like how small and light it is, but I really can't stand fingerprints.  They really distract me when I'm reading, and the Voyage shows every print.  If it were just the back of it, it wouldn't be so bad and I would get a skin, but all of the black areas on the front show where you hold it and touch it. 

I have a buyer for my PW2, but I may have to back out of the deal now.  :(

Oh, and if look at it long enough, I can see the same screen discolorations WilliamG is talking about.  Cool blue at bottom and warm yellow/peachy at the top.  I have to have it at a medium brightness setting to see it.
    « Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 11:53:47 am by lindnet »
    Linda

Offline larryb52

• one day at a time
      • View Profile
    « Reply #144 on: October 22, 2014, 12:14:46 pm »
    well day 2 I am still satisfied and I have looked for bad lighting but no I don't have this and I had real problems with the pw1 so yes I can tell a bad screen when I see one. On that issue I returned 6 of them. I don't always get the haptic feel on the buttons but like Ann this is not going back because of that. Still impressed so far and like the speed of the page turns. Its still the best e reader I have seen. I understand WilliamG's issues and I do understand his feelings all I can say is I feel bad for him that he has had such bad luck...
    Larry

Offline ezzkmo

• California, USA
    • igloo appraiser
      • View Profile
    « Reply #145 on: October 22, 2014, 12:16:10 pm »
    I may end up sending mine back, too, though.  I agree with some of CAR's reasons.  Mostly I'm just not sure I can justify spending the money when I don't think it's noticeably better than my PW2.  Try as I might, I can't really see that the text is darker/better or that the device is any faster.  I do like how small and light it is, but I really can't stand fingerprints.  They really distract me when I'm reading, and the Voyage shows every print.  If it were just the back of it, it wouldn't be so bad and I would get a skin, but all of the black areas on the front show where you hold it and touch it. 

My thoughts are exactly the same. The Voyage is a fantastic device, but since my PW2 is so good, I'm not sure I can justify another $250 (including case). While I love most everything about the Voyage, here are my own concerns:

-Very slightly orange coloration near the top
    -The display feels smoother than the PW2, which I think had a nicer paper feel to it
    -Pagepress buttons are hard to find (especially the back ones) in the dark, since you can't actually feel them (muscle memory will remedy that!)
    -Autobrightness is hit or miss (can be fixed in firmware update though I'm sure)
    -No Active Content (chess game, etc.) works at this time, and I'm unsure if they will later
    -I'm sure the battery will last a long time, but there's no way it will match the PW2 (Amazon even says it's less)
    -Missing features still that I kind of hoped for: speakers and waterproof. Although definately not needed.
    -And again, the cost, especially when I have a good PW2.

So those are MY personal reasons for more than likely returning the Voyage. Half these issues may be ironed out, and the other ones are so minor and specific to me. If there is a sale in a few months, and I hear of some good firmware updates, I'll definately pick one up again.

But I do want to stress that aside from my gripes, this is hands down one of the best e-readers I've used! The size of the device and the display really are amazing.

Offline CAR

• Los Angeles, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #146 on: October 22, 2014, 12:25:25 pm »
    CAR -- sorry you felt you had to return it.  :(

I figure I'll need some time to thoroughly get used to the size but I haven't had the lighting or touch response issues you describe.

Everyone gets to decide for themselves of course. My feeling is: I've got 30 days to decide whether I like it, so I'm going to use a bunch of them before giving up. (Not that I'm even leaning that way yet, personally.) And before giving up I'd definitely contact Kindle CS about the concerns I have. That said: it's not cheap, so everyone certainly has a right to be completely satisfied.

Yes Ann I agree about giving 30 days.   But I think it was the too small feeling for "my" hands that really did it.  If we did not already have PW2's that we are happy with, it might have been a different story.

I can already see three improvements for the Voyage 2 ;)

1.  Bumps at the Page Press sensors.
    2.  Ability to personalize the auto brightness feature brightness at different levels of room light.  ( This could come as a software update)
    3.  Bring back the official book style cover. 

K2US v2.5.7 / 2x(One is SO)K3 White 3G/Wi-Fi + Oberon Bold Celtic in Black / 2x PW2 3G W/O / Voyage 3G W/O / PW3 3G W/O / Oasis 3g W/O

Offline ezzkmo

• California, USA
    • igloo appraiser
      • View Profile
    « Reply #147 on: October 22, 2014, 12:50:18 pm »
    1.  Bumps at the Page Press sensors.
    2.  Ability to personalize the auto brightness feature brightness at different levels of room light.  ( This could come as a software update)
    3.  Bring back the official book style cover.

Great suggestions! I'll be sure to email suggestions like this to [email protected]

Offline Susan J

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #148 on: October 22, 2014, 01:41:17 pm »
    As someone who has eagerly grabbed every upgrade, I am so happy that I got this one.   While I agree that the change in readability from the PW2 is subtle, it is still very important to me since reading is my favorite activity.  For me, it is comparable to getting a new pair of eyeglasses.  I always think that I am seeing as clearly as possible until I get a new pair.   ;D

After reading about possible problems with looseness in the USB charging port, I checked my PW2 and noticed that it does have wiggle room but that has never given me a problem.  I compared the Voyage and see that it does seem tighter so I have no worries there.  The only Kindle that I thought has a blotchy screen was the PW1 but even with that, I found it an improvement over the booklights and resulting shadows that I needed on previous models.  It's also nice to have the page turn options.

I love my Voyage.   :D

Offline crisandria

• CT
      • View Profile
    « Reply #149 on: October 22, 2014, 02:00:04 pm »
    I'm liking my new Kindle Voyage.  I do have a slight more yellow at the top of the screen issue, but for the most part I don't notice it, and what little it does stand out I'm sure I will become used to it after a short while.   My right page press does sometimes seem to offer no feedback, but still turns the page.   Neither issue is one that I'm willing to send it back and try and see if the next one is better.

Have not been able to read that much on it yet, but I do like it.
    crisandria

KBoards.com

• Advertisement