Author Topic: Kindle Voyage First Impressions  (Read 70182 times)  

Offline Crodley

• View Profile
Re: Kindle Voyage First Impressions
« Reply #150 on: October 22, 2014, 02:42:08 pm »
Reading these posts has caused me to cancel my Kindle voyage order.  Let me preface this with my history.

I had a Kindle 2 and loved it. When I got an iPad, I started reading my Kindle books on there and gave my Kindle to my granddaughter. After all this time I thought I'd go back to reading on a Kindle and ordered the new Voyage.  The difference between the paperwhite is there but doesn't seem like a huge leap forward. With the complaints here about the lighting an the page turn buttons, I cancelled and ordered the paperwhite.
 I'm assuming amazon doesn't sell the paperwhite 1 anymore? The one I ordered on Amazon just says high resolution paperwhite which I assume is the paperwhite 2? Anyway, it should be here Friday and I think going from the Kindle 2 to this will likely make me smile all day.  😄

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Vicki G.

• Houston, Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #151 on: October 22, 2014, 03:00:49 pm »
    I had no intention of getting the Voyage.  I had bought the Basic Kindle but was finding that I had trouble finding enough light to read with.  My old Basic 5 had a lighter screen, not much but apparently enough to make a difference and I didn't want a clip-on light.  I'm one of the ones who loved the boldness and contrast of the text on the Basic but...

So I went to Best Buy yesterday and got the Voyage.  This screen is amazing!  Yes, true, there isn't a huge amount of difference in the boldness/contrast but it is enough that it seems to work for me.  I don't have any of the screen discoloration problems, thank goodness!  I have noticed the sluggishness of the touch screen at times and in different places, Settings being one and Location/Page No./Reading Time another but also I did manage to recall the quick touch rule for iThingies and that seems to work with the Voyage.  In fact, I just went through the Location/Page No./Reading Time 2 times without a hesitation.  Not sure exactly what is making this work for me, maybe just a combination of a little bit darker fonts, a lot more resolution, screen light seems to be softer even when as bright as PW.  The speed is awesome, I have no problems with the page turn thingies and if I do momentarily have a problem, the screen is oh so close.  Love the flat screen, love everything about it!  Oh, and I'm using it naked and really doubt I will want a cover for it.  It's kinda like putting a cover on the Basic 5.  I do have one of the old Amazon zip sleeves that I bought used and it works great!  Voyage is about 1/2" smaller horizontally and vertically but since it's a zippered sleeve, that doesn't cause any problems.  <keeping fingers crossed that things stay as they are>   ;D

FWIW, forgot to say I'm returning the Basic 7th Generation. 
    « Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 03:03:02 pm by Vicki G. »

Offline Gone 9/21/18

• View Profile
    « Reply #152 on: October 22, 2014, 03:39:55 pm »
    I ordered my Voyage primarily for the page turn buttons (and I agree something tactile along those buttons would be great), but what I'm most impressed with so far is the screen. The clarity is amazing. It makes my PW1 look very pass. I admit to being disappointed in the auto brightness feature. It just wants to keep everything much dimmer than where I would set it. If a software update comes along that allows me to set it to start higher in a bright room, I'll make the effort to get to a wifi hookup to update.

I have had the experience of the page turning when I didn't press the button. What I'm pretty sure is happening is I'm rolling my thumb just enough it's touching the screen and causing the page turn. I'm sure it will stop happening once I've used the Voyage more.

Mine has SO, and I bet it will be just like the PW, the day will come when I just can't stand it any longer and pay to get rid of them. What did it on the PW was a cover on some book that must have been horror that I found so offensive I couldn't stand it, and the thing just sat there and didn't change to something else for several days and that was it.

As to screens - some years ago a friend who was very interested in music bought some very expensive speakers. When I couldn't tell the difference in the sound from them and the sound from more ordinary speakers, he was disgusted with me and said I had "Donald Duck ears." I freely admit that's probably the case.

I have often wondered if my PW went to someone with more discerning eyes if they'd have been unhappy with it. I can see where the lights come from at the bottom and some little spots of shadows, but it never bothered me. The same is true with my Voyage. To me the screen is an almost startling pure white and crystal clear. I love it. I can't see what the problem is with the pictures WilliamG posted. But I bet I have Donald Duck eyes.

I did not and will not consent to VerticalScope's TOS.

Offline CAR

• Los Angeles, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #153 on: October 22, 2014, 04:02:50 pm »
    But I bet I have Donald Duck eyes.

I have Donald Duck Eyes too!  :)

K2US v2.5.7 / 2x(One is SO)K3 White 3G/Wi-Fi + Oberon Bold Celtic in Black / 2x PW2 3G W/O / Voyage 3G W/O / PW3 3G W/O / Oasis 3g W/O

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
      • View Profile
    « Reply #154 on: October 22, 2014, 04:06:11 pm »
    I have Donald Duck Eyes too!  :)

Me too.. I don't see any difference in the photos posted online.   My Voyage is perfect,  no variation in color at all.  At least to my eyes.

Offline Vicki G.

• Houston, Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #155 on: October 22, 2014, 04:27:45 pm »
    I thought I had no interest in a V, but now . . . .  Well . . . .  I don't like covers -- I like sleeves.  So when Oberon stopped making sleeves, I bought three.  At that time, the Touch was the latest Kindle.  Touch just, I mean just, fit in the sleeve.  Both PWs also fit in sleeves perfectly.  It looks like V will also.  So now I probably will get it.  Should read through this thread first.  End of November?  I'm waiting until mid November for my iPhone 6 Plus.   :(
    I got mine at Best Buy yesterday.  No waiting, no shipping charges!  ;D

Offline KimberlyinMN

• NW Minnesota
    • Kindle Voyage Wi-Fi
      • View Profile
    « Reply #156 on: October 22, 2014, 05:05:19 pm »
    Okay, now that I am at home, the Voyage screen lighting looks pretty dang good. After cycling the brightness up and down a little, I can't see a shade difference at all. I don't know if it was the fluorescent lighting at work or if the screen just needed to "warm up" or something. I am HAPPY!! (I can hear that "Happy" song running through my head.)

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #157 on: October 22, 2014, 06:22:44 pm »

1.  Bumps at the Page Press sensors.
    2.  Ability to personalize the auto brightness feature brightness at different levels of room light.  ( This could come as a software update)
    3.  Bring back the official book style cover. 

Regarding #2 and being able to personalize the auto brightness:

On page 9 of the Voyage user's guide, it has this posted. The way I read this is that you can personalize it at each light level and it will remember it.

Screen Light: Tap to access screen light controls. There are several ways to adjust screen brightness:
     Drag your finger along the slider until you reach the desired setting.
     Tap anywhere on the slider to select a specific setting.
     Tap the + sign to use a higher light setting, and tap the - sign to use a lower light setting.
    Press and hold the "+" sign to select the maximum brightness setting. Press and hold the "-" sign to choose the minimum brightness setting.
    Select Auto Brightness to enable the screen light to automatically adjust based on surrounding light. When Auto Brightness is enabled, you can still adjust the light using the slider and your Kindle uses that adjustment in the future. When reading or using your Kindle in the dark, use the Nightlight feature to gradually reduce the screen brightness over time as your eyes adjust. To enable Nightlight, go to Settings, Device Options then Screen Light.

Offline CAR

• Los Angeles, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #158 on: October 22, 2014, 06:33:21 pm »

On page 9 of the Voyage user's guide, it has this posted. The way I read this is that you can personalize it at each light level and it will remember it.

Screen Light: Tap to access screen light controls. There are several ways to adjust screen brightness:
     Tap the + sign to use a higher light setting, and tap the - sign to use a lower light setting.
    Press and hold the "+" sign to select the maximum brightness setting. Press and hold the "-" sign to choose the minimum brightness setting.
    Select Auto Brightness to enable the screen light to automatically adjust based on surrounding light. When Auto Brightness is enabled, you can still adjust the light using the slider and your Kindle uses that adjustment in the future. When reading or using your Kindle in the dark, use the Nightlight feature to gradually reduce the screen brightness over time as your eyes adjust. To enable Nightlight, go to Settings, Device Options then Screen Light.
    Nice find!  "When Auto Brightness is enabled, you can still adjust the light using the slider and your Kindle uses that adjustment in the future."
    I am thinking now that may be the part that is not working correctly at the moment.  But sure sounds like it will be fixable. 

K2US v2.5.7 / 2x(One is SO)K3 White 3G/Wi-Fi + Oberon Bold Celtic in Black / 2x PW2 3G W/O / Voyage 3G W/O / PW3 3G W/O / Oasis 3g W/O

Offline geko29

• View Profile
    « Reply #159 on: October 22, 2014, 06:37:03 pm »
    My screen is gorgeous, and I'm in love again, in a way I haven't been since my original Kindle showed up more than 6 years ago.  However, mine appears to be buggy.  The interface crashed once (repeatedly said "application has stopped" or something like that, with only an OK button, which then reappeared upon pushing OK or trying to do anything else), and twice has simply locked up.  In all cases it's required a hard restart (hold power button for 15 seconds).  In the initial instance, holding it for 5 seconds brought up a cancel/restart/screen off menu, but selecting any option did nothing.  I'm halfway through the book I started last night, so I'll keep an eye out to see if it's a media issue or a device issue, but this is definitely the most trouble I've had with a new kindle, out of 5 e-readers and 3 tablets.

I'll probably return this one either way, however, that's both good and bad.  If the problems I'm  having are book-related or a software-update away from being fixed, I'm actually thinking this is my long-term one, and I might want to swap out the wifi/SO for a 3G/no SO.  If it's bad it's just bad.  But if it's a sample defect, return to option 1.  The experience is just so good that going straight wifi might be a false economy in the long term.  We'll see how it shakes out.

Edit:  HA!  Literally 30 seconds after completing this post, it locked up again.  This time the "restart" option did respond after the 5-second press of the power button.  Unfortunately it just resulted in going permanently to a blank white (lit) screen.  Back to the 15-second hold and a full restart...deleted and re-downloaded the book to find out if that's the problem.
    « Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 06:48:10 pm by geko29 »

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #160 on: October 22, 2014, 07:19:56 pm »
    geko, sounds like you have a bad unit . . . . definitely contact Kindle CS and get them to replace it.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Card-carrying melodrama villain
      • View Profile
      • All about me....<hee hee>
    « Reply #161 on: October 22, 2014, 07:24:46 pm »
    Nice find!  "When Auto Brightness is enabled, you can still adjust the light using the slider and your Kindle uses that adjustment in the future."
    I am thinking now that may be the part that is not working correctly at the moment.  But sure sounds like it will be fixable.
    to me, this means "if you adjust the slider to a certain light setting while on autobrightness, you will exit autobrightness and use that fixed brightness setting in the future till you set auto brightness or a different fixed setting." And it is working perfectly, it just isn't what we want.
    « Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 08:54:43 pm by The Hooded Claw »
    "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline larryb52

• one day at a time
      • View Profile
    « Reply #162 on: October 22, 2014, 08:13:20 pm »
    well it looks like mine will have to go back to best buy, the light did not come on when the cover opened and I have the kindle cover...rebooted and still nothing. I forced it on but after closing and opening it , it stayed off...I"m going to shut it down for the night but I'm in no mood for exchanging kindles till we get it right. Also found a spot where it would not recoginize my touch, I'm disappointed...I'll decide in the morning...
    Larry

Offline CAR

• Los Angeles, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #163 on: October 22, 2014, 08:57:49 pm »
    to me, this means "if you adjust the slider to a certain light setting while on autobrightness, you will exit autobrightness and use that fixed brightness setting in the future till you set auto brightness or a different fixed setting." And it is working perfectly, it just isn't what we want.
    Yes I agree but they sure muddy the waters on this detail.  Here is a quote from the Amazon Voyage webpage:
    "The new adaptive front light automatically adjusts the brightness of the display based on your environment, and can even be fine-tuned further to your personal preferences."

Offline dianasg

• Greener pastures!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #164 on: October 22, 2014, 09:30:09 pm »
    Yes I agree but they sure muddy the waters on this detail.  Here is a quote from the Amazon Voyage webpage:
    "The new adaptive front light automatically adjusts the brightness of the display based on your environment, and can even be fine-tuned further to your personal preferences."

I can confirm that on mine, the autobrightness "remembers" settings I've chosen/adjusted while autobrightness was checked.

Here's how I did it. I tried this in a place with fairly low-medium light (just a desk lamp) so I could see the Kindle at both min and max light.

1. Sit down and restart kindle.
    2. With auto brightness OFF, turn brightness all the way to max.
    3. Turn autobrightness ON.
    4. With autobrightness ON, slide brightness all the way to min/zero.
    5. Turn autobrightness OFF, then slide the brightness back up.
    6. Turn autobrightness back ON -- the Kindle dims to zero, because that is the setting you chose for that lighting situation when autobrightness was checked ON.

What I DON'T know is if resetting the kindle deletes your customizations. Or how to make it stop doing remembering, because I don't like it. lol. Trying to figure that out now -- does anyone else know?

ETA: Ok. So resetting the kindle doesn't do anything. Hmmm.

ETA2: I take it all back. I think I could get used to the adaptive lighting... :D
    « Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 09:46:06 pm by DianaGS »

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #165 on: October 23, 2014, 04:44:22 am »
    well it looks like mine will have to go back to best buy, the light did not come on when the cover opened and I have the kindle cover...rebooted and still nothing. I forced it on but after closing and opening it , it stayed off...I"m going to shut it down for the night but I'm in no mood for exchanging kindles till we get it right. Also found a spot where it would not recoginize my touch, I'm disappointed...I'll decide in the morning...

I'd go through Amazon first, myself. Even if purchased at Best Buy. They're likely to give you much less trouble.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline rlkubi

• View Profile
    « Reply #166 on: October 23, 2014, 05:06:54 am »
    My Voyage is awesome!  Love it!  The screen is perfect both lighting and text.  I have to get used to the page turn sensors and size but I'm happy!  The only think now is I want a cover to love.  I bought the Insipio top flip cover but not happy with it at all.  Unfortunately nothing out there I like right now :(

Offline larryb52

• one day at a time
      • View Profile
    « Reply #167 on: October 23, 2014, 05:45:03 am »
    I'd go through Amazon first, myself. Even if purchased at Best Buy. They're likely to give you much less trouble.

I changed my mind I'm keeping it , I got it going after 2 reboots last night, I'm still calling Amazon this morning...it seems good now but I have a few questions I would like to ask the kindle tech people about, for instance the bottom left where it shows the time left in the chapter, well it won't always change if you want to see say how much time till the book ends. It will if you advance the page. I'm sure there as usually as with any new device will be a software update. I like this reader way too much. I bought the ads off of it so its mine now...
    Larry

Offline larryb52

• one day at a time
      • View Profile
    « Reply #168 on: October 23, 2014, 06:31:59 am »
    I called Amazon and they helped work out the issues, seems fine now , good suggestion Ann, thanks
    Larry

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #169 on: October 23, 2014, 06:33:14 am »

Mine is working. Mine is set to auto bright and while reading in the bedroom Tues night I set the light at the level I like reading with. The auto wanted to make the screen darker than I like, so I moved it up to where I like it. Last night I was reading again in the bedroom, with the same lamps on that I had the night before, and when I opened the kindle it went right back to the screen brightness that I like and had set the night before.

It does not take itself out of auto brightness to do this. If I go into another room with different lighting it will still adjust to lighting in there. It just remembers what setting it uses for different light levels, so if you reset that, it should remember it next time it detects the same light level.

Mine seems to be working as described. :D

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #170 on: October 23, 2014, 06:37:53 am »
    I called Amazon and they helped work out the issues, seems fine now , good suggestion Ann, thanks

Yay! 
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
      • View Profile
    « Reply #171 on: October 23, 2014, 06:41:53 am »

Thanks for this. I wasn't going to turn on auto brightness since it was too dark for my eyes..  I will play with it today.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #172 on: October 23, 2014, 06:44:33 am »
    Mine is working. Mine is set to auto bright and while reading in the bedroom Tues night I set the light at the level I like reading with. The auto wanted to make the screen darker than I like, so I moved it up to where I like it. Last night I was reading again in the bedroom, with the same lamps on that I had the night before, and when I opened the kindle it went right back to the screen brightness that I like and had set the night before.

It does not take itself out of auto brightness to do this. If I go into another room with different lighting it will still adjust to lighting in there. It just remembers what setting it uses for different light levels, so if you reset that, it should remember it next time it detects the same light level.

Mine seems to be working as described. :D

I've not done a rigorous study, but I'd agree.  I expect, too, that it might just take some time to 'learn'.

The only issue I've noticed is I sometimes don't feel the haptic response.  Page is turning, but no vibration. I think what's happening is that my thumb is long enough that when I press down, I'm actually tapping the page (when holding in my right hand) and so don't get the vibration. Not a problem though -- as long as the page still turns. ;) It has made me more mindful of where my thumb is when holding it in my left hand, however. And I'm still learning what's the best way for me to hold it.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline crisandria

• CT
      • View Profile
    « Reply #173 on: October 23, 2014, 06:54:10 am »
    I do like the auto-brightness.  But i do think it needs a bit of work.  When I went into the bedroom with the light low last night, it set the brightness level 0.

crisandria

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #174 on: October 23, 2014, 07:04:16 am »
    I do like the auto-brightness.  But i do think it needs a bit of work.  When I went into the bedroom with the light low last night, it set the brightness level 0.

Well . . . . that makes sense. If there's very little ambient light, once your eyes adjust, you don't need much light on the kindle to see just fine.  Maybe what you need to set is the Nightlight mode: Menu, settings, device options, screen light. With that turned on, when you go to a darker place, it will gradually dim the screen -- rather than just go suddenly dark. For it to work, you have to have auto-brightness on.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement