Author Topic: Kindle Voyage First Impressions  (Read 70189 times)  

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
Re: Kindle Voyage First Impressions
« Reply #200 on: October 23, 2014, 11:31:41 am »
I know this is off topic, but I think it's still related to this topic.   When we compared our 2 PW2 screens.  My wife's is on the slightly yellow side and mine is slightly on the blue side.  She likes hers because it's easier on the eyes.  I like mine, because it looks slightly sharper.   :)

There is variance between e-ink screens and LED lights tolerances (some stories in my signature), so that sounds like a perfectly plausible situation for sure.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
      • View Profile
    « Reply #201 on: October 23, 2014, 11:35:27 am »
    . I put a little sticker on top of the arrows so I could feel where to press. I know it isn't ideal for a lovely brand-new device like the Voyage (the Literati was a cheapo ePub reader), but it could probably be a temporary thing until your muscle memory learns where those spots are.

Great idea!  I just cut up a flexible fabric bandaid and marked the lines and dot..  So much easier to find.

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
    « Reply #202 on: October 23, 2014, 11:37:55 am »

This picture, by the way, shows the very strong color tint on top of the Voyage page compared to the bottom of the page. On other sites lots of people are reporting it.

PW (1 I guess?) shows the pink splotching and very uneven lighting.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #203 on: October 23, 2014, 11:38:31 am »
    I know this is off topic, but I think it's still related to this topic.   When we compared our 2 PW2 screens.  My wife's is on the slightly yellow side and mine is slightly on the blue side.  She likes hers because it's easier on the eyes.  I like mine, because it looks slightly sharper.   :)

Which, at bottom, illustrates what my point has always been. What matters is how it looks to YOU. Clearly there can be differences between units, and if the unit you got is not acceptable TO YOU, by all means return it for exchange or refund. 

And, in my experience over the last 6 years on kboards, people have often asked for input from others -- should they keep the device or return it/is the screen good or bad/etc. But, as far as I can tell based on them reporting back here, they were definitely leaning one way or the other before even posting and, regardless of what anyone here said, made their decision based on what was or was NOT acceptable to THEM.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
    « Reply #204 on: October 23, 2014, 11:39:45 am »
    Which, at bottom, illustrates what my point has always been. What matters is how it looks to YOU. Clearly there can be differences between units, and if the unit you got is not acceptable TO YOU, by all means return it for exchange or refund. 

And, in my experience over the last 6 years on kboards, people have often asked for input from others -- should they keep the device or return it/is the screen good or bad/etc. But, as far as I can tell based on them reporting back here, they were definitely leaning one way or the other before even posting and, regardless of what anyone here said, made their decision based on what was or was NOT acceptable to THEM.

I'm not disagreeing with the generic sentiment, but I do think offering people who are pondering such questions as much objective information as possible can help them.

Such as: What can I expect, realistically, from a replacement? People posting photos and analysis can help come up with the likelihood of getting it fixed, or if it is completely normal etc.

Offline CAR

• Los Angeles, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #205 on: October 23, 2014, 11:41:53 am »
    Great idea!  I just cut up a flexible fabric bandaid and marked the lines and dot..  So much easier to find.

Wow great idea!  I was thinking those little clear plastic bumper stick on things may work also. If you could find some small enough.

K2US v2.5.7 / 2x(One is SO)K3 White 3G/Wi-Fi + Oberon Bold Celtic in Black / 2x PW2 3G W/O / Voyage 3G W/O / PW3 3G W/O / Oasis 3g W/O

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #206 on: October 23, 2014, 12:06:41 pm »
    I'm not disagreeing with the generic sentiment, but I do think offering people who are pondering such questions as much objective information as possible can help them.

Such as: What can I expect, realistically, from a replacement? People posting photos and analysis can help come up with the likelihood of getting it fixed, or if it is completely normal etc.

I'm not disagreeing, but my problem with photos is that it's incredibly hard to take one that really shows what's what -- unless it's taken by a professional with perfect lighting. Maybe not even then! :o

When I've tried to take one, it ALWAYS looks much worse than what I see with my eyes. My eyes see a screen that looks great and I'm trying to show people that there are good ones but the picture comes out looking like all the rest I've seen posted. :(  So as to 'what to expect from a replacement', such photos might make it seem like it's impossible to find a good one.

And I know that's not the case. To me, honestly, I've never seen a picture of a kindle screen that looks as good as mine does in real life. None of the pictures in this thread look particularly good to me. So I'm skeptical of their value as comparison tools. :(

Which is why I say, again, that it really only comes down to what the person is seeing, in real life, with their own eyes and whether or not that's acceptable to them.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline CAR

• Los Angeles, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #207 on: October 23, 2014, 12:24:49 pm »
    I'm not disagreeing, but my problem with photos is that it's incredibly hard to take one that really shows what's what -- unless it's taken by a professional with perfect lighting. Maybe not even then! :o

When I've tried to take one, it ALWAYS looks much worse than what I see with my eyes. My eyes see a screen that looks great and I'm trying to show people that there are good ones but the picture comes out looking like all the rest I've seen posted. :(  So as to 'what to expect from a replacement', such photos might make it seem like it's impossible to find a good one.

And I know that's not the case. To me, honestly, I've never seen a picture of a kindle screen that looks as good as mine does in real life. None of the pictures in this thread look particularly good to me. So I'm skeptical of their value as comparison tools. :(

Which is why I say, again, that it really only comes down to what the person is seeing, in real life, with their own eyes and whether or not that's acceptable to them.

This is one of the first things you learn in a photography class. The camera lens will see things that your eyes may not. And sometimes your eyes will see something the camera lens will not.

The same holds true for different peoples eyes and ears.  I still say I have Donald Duck Eyes ;)
    « Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 12:31:23 pm by CAR »

K2US v2.5.7 / 2x(One is SO)K3 White 3G/Wi-Fi + Oberon Bold Celtic in Black / 2x PW2 3G W/O / Voyage 3G W/O / PW3 3G W/O / Oasis 3g W/O

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
    « Reply #208 on: October 23, 2014, 12:30:36 pm »
    This is one of the first things you learn in a photography class. The camera lens will see things that your eyes may not. And sometimes your eyes will see something the camera lenses will not.

Just like eyes, camera is a tool when gaining information. All tools are imperfect, that doesn't mean they can't be extremely useful.

Offline niczac

• View Profile
    « Reply #209 on: October 23, 2014, 12:32:22 pm »
    This is one of the first things you learn in a photography class. The camera lens will see things that your eyes may not. And sometimes your eyes will see something the camera lenses will not.

My reason for posting was really to ask if the yellow was what everyone else had. I am coming from a pw1 so had no idea what the pw2 looked like.

Offline CAR

• Los Angeles, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #210 on: October 23, 2014, 12:40:17 pm »
    Just like eyes, camera is a tool when gaining information. All tools are imperfect, that doesn't mean they can't be extremely useful.
    Very true!  I have no doubt some people are truly having problems with front lit screens in general.  But I think the vast majority don't.  And I think that's where the rub is.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #211 on: October 23, 2014, 12:43:07 pm »
    Very true!  I have no doubt some people are truly having problems with front lit screens in general.  But I think the vast majority don't.  And I think that's where the rub is.

And, of course, people who aren't having problems don't come to a fan site and say, "hey this is great!" They just get on with happily reading everything in sight. :D
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #212 on: October 23, 2014, 12:57:14 pm »
    V'ger is here!  I have it set up and now it is charging.  My first impressions:

1.  Holy cow, does it seem tiny coming from a Kindle Keyboard!

2.  Set up was easy, took my wifi password on the first try, seems silly that the bezel page turns don't work within the home pages or in the cloud.

3.  Downloading a book from the cloud was lightening fast.

4.  I can read very comfortably with a smaller font than I have been using.  I think this is a combination of the surface being lighted and the "ink" appearing darker and more crisp.

5.  The color of the screen seems very even to my eyes.  It looks white when I am reading a book straight on.  As it is sitting to the side here and charging, it has an overall blue/pink hue, but no splotches that I can see.  No pixel spots either.

6.  I like the angled back for holding comfort.  I like the power button being on the back again like it was on the K1 instead of on the bottom.  I don't know yet whether I want a cover for this Kindle, maybe a sleeve for when I throw it in my purse.

So far it is a total keeper and I love it!

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
    « Reply #213 on: October 23, 2014, 12:57:44 pm »
    And, of course, people who aren't having problems don't come to a fan site and say, "hey this is great!" They just get on with happily reading everything in sight. :D

I agree. One more point, though: Just because people don't have a problem with some issue or feature of a product, doesn't of course mean the issue or feature doesn't exist. It may just mean subjectively those people are not bothered by it and thus don't notice it or complain about it. I think after the past few years, for example, we can conclude a lot of people are not bothered by PW1/2 screen issues, but there is also a wealth of evidence to suggest those issues are still real and exist probably in all units at varying levels of severity. That is useful for example for people who want to judge the likelihood of further replacements helping them out or not (or getting a refund/selecting different product).

I am not asking anyone to dislike something they don't dislike. :) But sometimes more objective information helps and pics can be a good tool for that.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Card-carrying melodrama villain
      • View Profile
      • All about me....<hee hee>
    « Reply #214 on: October 23, 2014, 01:05:33 pm »
    . Sometimes little more objective tools are useful, because not all share the same subjective experience.

As an avid amateur photographer who is also a tech geek, I have to point out that most of the photos you see on the web are NOT accurate and objective. Unless you are photographing using manual mode, the light meter on the camera is deciding how to bright it wants to make your screen, and indirectly deciding how much color will show up in your photo. And autofocus, or errors by a photographer using manual focus, or automatic sharpening done by nearly all digital cameras unless you manually disable it, may make sharpness of a photo inaccurate. Your statement is true, but it doesn't apply to most of the Kindle photos you see on the Web!
    « Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 01:07:46 pm by The Hooded Claw »
    "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #215 on: October 23, 2014, 01:07:38 pm »

2.  Set up was easy, took my wifi password on the first try, seems silly that the bezel page turns don't work within the home pages or in the cloud.

The bezel page turn buttons DO work on the home pages. If they're not for you, you might try a restart.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
    « Reply #216 on: October 23, 2014, 01:10:45 pm »
    As an avid amateur photographer who is also a tech geek, I have to point out that most of the photos you see on the web are NOT accurate and objective. Unless you are photographing using manual mode, the light meter on the camera is deciding how to bright it wants to make your screen, and indirectly deciding how much color will show up in your photo. And autofocus, or errors by a photographer using manual focus, or automatic sharpening done by nearly all digital cameras unless you manually disable it, may make sharpness of a photo inaccurate. Your statement is true, but it doesn't apply to most of the Kindle photos you see on the Web!

Of course many photographs are poor and/or inaccurate (whitebalance needs to be mentioned too). However, they are still usually a lot less subjective than someone's words like "my screen is perfect".

Offline CAR

• Los Angeles, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #217 on: October 23, 2014, 01:15:00 pm »
    I agree. One more point, though: Just because people don't have a problem with some issue or feature of a product, doesn't of course mean the issue or feature doesn't exist. It may just mean subjectively those people are not bothered by it and thus don't notice it or complain about it. I think after the past few years, for example, we can conclude a lot of people are not bothered by PW1/2 screen issues, but there is also a wealth of evidence to suggest those issues are still real and exist probably in all units at varying levels of severity. That is useful for example for people who want to judge the likelihood of further replacements helping them out or not (or getting a refund/selecting different product).

I am not asking anyone to dislike something they don't dislike. :) But sometimes more objective information helps and pics can be a good tool for that.

By the way Fearindex. I just want to say your reviews and pictures have been great!

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk HD

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #218 on: October 23, 2014, 01:23:34 pm »
    The bezel page turn buttons DO work on the home pages. If they're not for you, you might try a restart.

Thanks, Ann, so they do.  Apparently I hadn't yet adjusted to just the right spot for the page turns from the bezel.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #219 on: October 23, 2014, 01:31:55 pm »
    Let's try to keep this about the Voyage, OK?  Someone's first impressions are their own.  They don't have to be the same as someone else's.  Thanks!

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #220 on: October 23, 2014, 01:34:32 pm »
    Thanks, Ann, so they do.  Apparently I hadn't yet adjusted to just the right spot for the page turns from the bezel.

And the cloud (though I think you've probably discovered that...)

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #221 on: October 23, 2014, 02:17:41 pm »
    After using my V (DawnTreader) for a couple days....

Still love the screen and see no issues with it.  I find that I tend to read one handed with my left hand, and so it's actually easier for me to reach over to use the touch screen for "back" than reach up for the "back" button.

I do need to go through and do some pruning in my collections as the ones I'm using are the ones I set up on my Paperwhite and so have many books in them not on the device.  (For example, 128 items in nonfiction, only three of them on the device.)  But that's my issue with Amazon's implementation of collections, nothing to do with the V.

I haven't played much with the lighting, though I do have automatic brightness on, and did turn it down.  On my Paperwhite, I kept it set on about 11 everywhere.  I'll have to see what I do with the V.

Touch screen seems responsive.

Betsy

Offline CAR

• Los Angeles, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #222 on: October 23, 2014, 02:54:14 pm »
    After using my V (DawnTreader) for a couple days....

Still love the screen and see no issues with it.  I find that I tend to read one handed with my left hand, and so it's actually easier for me to reach over to use the touch screen for "back" than reach up for the "back" button.

I do need to go through and do some pruning in my collections as the ones I'm using are the ones I set up on my Paperwhite and so have many books in them not on the device.  (For example, 128 items in nonfiction, only three of them on the device.)  But that's my issue with Amazon's implementation of collections, nothing to do with the V.

I haven't played much with the lighting, though I do have automatic brightness on, and did turn it down.  On my Paperwhite, I kept it set on about 11 everywhere.  I'll have to see what I do with the V.

Touch screen seems responsive.

Betsy

Betsy  can you change the page display at the bottom of the screen with no issues?   I am just wondering if my Voyage touchscreen was defective.

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #223 on: October 23, 2014, 02:58:18 pm »
    Betsy  can you change the page display at the bottom of the screen with no issues?   I am just wondering if my Voyage touchscreen was defective.

You mean to show location/time left in chapter/time left in book?  Don't often mess with those...let me check.

Betsy

Offline CAR

• Los Angeles, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #224 on: October 23, 2014, 02:59:57 pm »
    You mean to show location/time left in chapter/time left in book?  Don't often mess with those...let me check.

Betsy
    Yes thank you

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk HD

KBoards.com

• Advertisement